Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Stunned Mullet

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Stunned Mullet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 am

For those of us who telework during office hours, it is a gain as the time from midday to 2pm becomes off-peak. I'm all for it! :D

Jemson

Post by Jemson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:47 am

Its a BIG NO from me.

Midnight to Midday is perfect. I would be very frustrating waiting until 2pm for contention to go back down.
I would assume the majority of people would not be online after midnight, but WOULD be online during the morning hours and early afternoon, especially so on weekends.
I can't think of a single reason 2am to 2pm would be good full stop.

beryl59

Post by beryl59 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am

I would like the off peak period to stay right where it is. Thank you.

Observer

Post by Observer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 am

I like the proposal, I use Skype for overseas calls, so more bandwidth would be useful up to 2 am.

Jemson

Post by Jemson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 am

I just read BeHumbles post, and would have to agree with him, 10pm to 10am would be MUCH MUCH better!

dlinker

Post by dlinker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

With this number of replies - looks like a survey would have been easier to measure.

muttley

Post by muttley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 am

I don't mind if the change goes ahead. Starting it at 12 or 2 is not going to affect me so no complaints here.

Timmy J

Post by Timmy J » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 am

Hate the idea.
Much prefer 12-12 and would protest & possibly cancel if it were changed to 2-2.

amathers

Post by amathers » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 am

I'd prefer it to stay the way it is. The only off peak time I'm currently on-line is just after midnight.

millisk

Post by millisk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am

This proposed change will have the effect of pushing the peak changeover loading forward 2 hours. Exetel would be the best judge of how that could affect the various pipelines under its control. For those that use schedulers for downloads, I see no real disadvantage. A consistent 12 hour block each day, whatever the period is the easiest for all users to manage their activity. However, I am satisfied with the existing 12.00am to 12.00pm arrangement. :)

oblong

Post by oblong » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 am

Excerpt from JL's blog:

http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... -Fora.html

"One of the suggestions, which strangely we have never considered before, is to allow the user to choose their 'off peak' period start time. This has some merit and although it could only be within a 'narrow choice band' it could well be another "Exetel Exclusive" that is useful to some percentage of customers as well as to Exetel. I'm sure our programming skills and resources could cope with providing a User Facilities choice of, say, a default 12 midnight to 12 noon 'off peak peiod' with the ability to select a 1 am to 1 pm period or a 2 am to 2 pm period.

"Peraps we could 'reward' people who selected the later start periods with additional donload alowances (66 gb for a 1 am start and 69 gb for a 2 am start?) I don't know - only having read the majority of the feedback just before I started writing this blog but maybe it would be both a benefit and another major 'plus' for Exetel's plans."

oldman

Post by oldman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 am

oblong wrote:Excerpt from JL's blog:

"Peraps we could 'reward' people who selected the later start periods with additional donload alowances (66 gb for a 1 am start and 69 gb for a 2 am start?)
Excellent suggestion!

EarEyeKnees

Post by EarEyeKnees » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:35 am

I don't really care either way. I don't think the Wagga east exchange is affected by being slow just after midnight.

Meanwhile people who are against the idea because they can't set up a scheduler; GET OVER IT and spend 5 minutes online finding out how to use the programs which are REALLY EASY TO USE!!!!

Would this change negatively affect exetel's bottom line? I wouldn’t want that.

The Exetel: The problem I see is that if you do make the change, anyone who doesn't like it has an open door to exit their contract without fees. If I were you I would poll your entire customer base specifically asking the question "Would you leave if we did this?" It might turn out to be quite expensive.

uabv2

Post by uabv2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 am

I'd prefer the times to stay as is. I guess what we need to know is Why are exetel considering this? Is it cost driven or profit driven?

newkindofsoup

Post by newkindofsoup » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:39 am

This would be a great change - I am very much in favour of moving the peak from 2pm to 2am.