Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
golemagadina

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by golemagadina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am

peteru wrote:I'm mostly ambivalent about the change. I work from home and depending on whether I deal with clients in Europe, North America, Asia or Australia, I end up using my connection at different times. I try to squeeze my data hungry work related tasks to the current Exetel off-peak time slot. This work can not be scheduled. From my lifestyle point of view, 2am to 8am is the least convenient timeslot for me, which makes that the true off-peak time for my particular usage patterns. However, if I need to get the job done, then $3/GB is a reasonable cost of doing business.

If I look at this from the point of view of Exetel, I think that a marketing strategy of having off-peak "midnight to midday" sounds a lot better. When people think 2am, they think "middle of the night" and "everyone is asleep". On the other hand, midnight is late, but people still consider it reasonable to wait until midnight in order to get access to something. From a psychological (and thus marketing) point of view, midnight is a lot more attractive than 2am.

I think a win-win situation would be to offer four off-peak pools to customers and entice them to choose later start times to get more off-peak allowance. For example:

Code: Select all

Between 12 - 12, 54GB
Between  1 -  1, 57GB
Between  2 -  2, 60GB
Between  3 -  3, 63GB
Again, applying a bit of psychology, the heavy users will almost certainly prefer to grab the slots with larger allowance, thus shifting the sharp increase in bandwidth usage to later hours. Defaulting users to 12-12 slot will ensure the least dissatisfaction due to unsolicited changes. An email that offers more off-peak allowance just by changing the time slot in the Member Facilities section is also likely to be well received by those who use off-peak allowances heavily.
totally agreed. Would be much better than now.
Last edited by golemagadina on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussellBruechert

Post by RussellBruechert » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

Personally the actual start and end times don't bother me, but if peak use is an issue perhaps users off peak times should be staggered with half from 12-12 and half from 2-2. Just a thought...

flaccid

Post by flaccid » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 am

My family is cool with this proposed change as it gives more off-peak during the day to download large files, however in reality it doesn't make too much of a difference to us.
I can see the point however that it will de-grade users who need peak time performance in business hours.

It's impossible for us to reach the off-peak quota of 60GB on 1.5mbps - its an unobtainium; physically impossible to download this much on this bandwidth; which makes me think is it even legal to advertise unobtainums, probably not!

peteru

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 am

Orkon wrote:changing the off peak time later and in "exchange" get more quota.
Why do people feel like they "should" be rewarded for chosing options which change the periods that their ISP deems "off-peak"?
My proposal was structured such that the part of not changing the default from 12-12 is balanced by the enticement of "more data for the effort of switching". If you leave the default as it is and do not offer a compelling reason to switch, then the take up rate will be small. Small take up rate would do nothing to address the "midnight spike", which is the main reason for making any changes at all. Changing the default is likely to contribute to negative feelings by many customers - even those who will be unaffected by change - simply because the ISP changed the rules on them.

Good business practices require good change management and good customer relations. Making every change appealing to your customers is important when your business depends on retaining customers. You would always want to offer more value to the customer and if you can do so without (ongoing) costs to your business, then it becomes a no-brainer.

rubyvine

Post by rubyvine » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 am

The change to 2 am to 2 pm would be great for me (I do the bulk of my internet work/play between 10am-2pm) but I'm not fussed if the change doesn't occur.

This is my first ever exetel forum posting and I have to say my experience with exetel so far has been fantastic and this is another example - great to see them gathering customer feedback before making any major change.

maccad

Post by maccad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:51 am

would suit me better, the internet slows down a heap at midnight, my bedtime is 2am:)

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 am

I think it would be great to choose the 12 hour off peak period
I'd be ok if it was only within limited hours as well - I can imagine that peak periods like say 5pm - 12 midnight would not be available for the off peak window

Mutha

Post by Mutha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 am

A big plus of Extel's is actually having a 12 hour off peak period. 2am - 2pm works well for me :D
Without wading through 34 pages of comments to see if it has been suggested, wouldn't it be easier to have a yes/no poll for the change?

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:06 am

peteru wrote: I think a win-win situation would be to offer four off-peak pools to customers and entice them to choose later start times to get more off-peak allowance. For example:

Code: Select all

Between 12 - 12, 54GB
Between  1 -  1, 57GB
Between  2 -  2, 60GB
Between  3 -  3, 63GB
I like this idea.

[jason]

Post by [jason] » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 am

Yes I am in favour of the suggestions to change the off peak period from: 12 midnight to 12 noon to: 2 am to 2 pm.

Orkon

Post by Orkon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:15 am

peteru wrote:
Why do people feel like they "should" be rewarded for chosing options which change the periods that their ISP deems "off-peak"?
My proposal was structured such that the part of not changing the default from 12-12 is balanced by the enticement of "more data for the effort of switching". If you leave the default as it is and do not offer a compelling reason to switch, then the take up rate will be small. Small take up rate would do nothing to address the "midnight spike", which is the main reason for making any changes at all. Changing the default is likely to contribute to negative feelings by many customers - even those who will be unaffected by change - simply because the ISP changed the rules on them.

Good business practices require good change management and good customer relations. Making every change appealing to your customers is important when your business depends on retaining customers. You would always want to offer more value to the customer and if you can do so without (ongoing) costs to your business, then it becomes a no-brainer.
Don't get me wrong I understand the merit in offering the reward of the extra quota, but the reward in changing the off-peak period is reward itself - the ability after you wake up each morning for the family/business to consume their off peak quota later into the day. As mentioned, a lot of the focus has been on how this affects people who queue up massive amounts of downloads at 12am.

As many have alluded to, these days people look for defining qualities in services they need (be it phone, voip, internet etc). If exetel were to give the choice of different off peak bands, then that is the defining quality of exetel - the value being you can use more of the off peak quota when it suits you - not when the ISP dictates off-peak is.

Given speeds there is no reason why off-peak cant be used up
At 1500/256, you can download approximately 6gb in 12 hours. So if you had 54GB quota you would consume off peak quota in about 9 days
At 8000/384, you can donwload approximately 34GB in 12 hours. So if you had 54GB quota, you would consume off peak quota in less then 2 days.
At any higher speed, quota would be used faster.

So shift periods and you might find people going over their off-peak quotas more often and incurring extra costs ($3/GB).

I'm one of the people who doesn't mind one way or the other. Right now 99% of the stuff i use my connection for i push via scheduling into the 3am+ band already. I experience at times the slow downs that are reported in the forums, but i balance out my usage so that I use approximately 25% of my quota every week. Then come the final week of the month, i tend to try and consume any remaining quota (if required) 3-4 days before quota reset. One thing I learned is not to save all of your quota and expect you can chew through it 2-3 days before your quota resets (this is apparently what a lot of people do - observed from the mrtg graphs at the end of month).

Personally, this all comes down to management of your account. Given a choice of off-peak periods, people will change their off peak time to what suits their lifestyle. Exetel, especially for ADSL1 customers, already provide more than generous allowances for Downloads. Be thankful for what we have - download only quotas and not download/upload quotas like some other telcos.

Lazzar

Post by Lazzar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 am

For me personally it does not make much of a difference, and at a guess I think it would not affect the vast majority of customers. So I am curious as to what the actual point of this excercise is, if it is cheaper for Exetel using 2am/2pm, then I'm all for them trying to keep their costs low. I don't think it will help the "spike" so much (I can't say I've noticed any major slowdown after 12am), there might even be a backlash, people hate having the rules changed on what they signed up for.

The only thing I can say about the current system, is that, for me at least, it seems more natural to have 12/12. Simple and effective. Have a look at the other ISPs who make a mess of it, using all sorts of hours.

Lastly, (and my reason for registering on the forum and making a comment), is that I really appreciate my ISP actually involving its customers as part of the suggestion/decision process. Its refreshing to see an ISP that does not treat its customers as just an ID number.
Last edited by Lazzar on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldman

Post by oldman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:21 am

Orkon wrote:
peteru wrote:

Don't get me wrong I understand the merit in offering the reward of the extra quota, but the reward in changing the off-peak period is reward itself
You could offer different times but without dangling the carrot of extra quota nothing would change. Peter's suggestion merely recognises a basic human trait.

Maz78

Post by Maz78 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 am

Personally I prefer 12-12..

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 am

I like the idea of the user choice. Indeed, whenever I read threads on the 'midnight slowdown' or similar I have a look at the MRTG Graphs and ponder options on how to flatten the usage peaks and troughs.

I kept coming back to a Tiered approach rather than peak vs off-peak. Eg an 8-8-8 split or 12-6-6 or whatever, with quota in each. This is more complex and I know a lot of people would complain (I want to use my quota when I want!). However my assumption is that you want to try and get overall data use to be as flat throughout the 24 hours as possible.

There seems to be a number of periods where people want different things. Eg: (Very generalised list)
-Business hours - VPN, VOIP, browsing (interactive)
-Evening / early morning - gamers, Streaming
-Overnight - queued bulk downloads

Making quota really flexible could be a great point of differentiation for Exetel. Instead of offering standard ‘me too’ type plans, you could have a table of time bands with a download allowance at given prices. People could then mix and match based on their preferred projected usage patterns. Of course Exetel would weight the bands to encourage use during the troughs.

The table could be as granular (more rows) as you like. The following is illustrative of how a simple one could look:

---Time---|-12GB-|-20GB-|-40GB-|-60GB
2000-0200-|--$7--|-$10--|-$30--|-$40
0200-0800-|--$5--|--$8--|-$20--|-$30
0800-2000-|-$10--|-$20--|-$40--|-$60

So people pick one column from each time band (radio button). There’d probably need to be an access charge on top. Kind of like a PAYU plan but with blocks rather than flat rate. The figures above aren’t important just illustrative.

As I say, more complex, but great flexibility in user choice and certainly a point of differentiation.

Getting back to the simpler user selectable off peak. I would recommend making the band that Exetel prefers to be the default Eg 2-2 for 69. This then forces people to choose the earlier one. The perception is that they ‘lose’ something. Like a reverse incentive.

If you left the default at 12-12 and people can opt for the latter, I think you’d find most? (many) people would leave it at default.

[EDIT: clarity]
Last edited by dbr on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety