Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
bellam

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by bellam » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I like the idea, I don't use internet at night, but at day it can be helpful to use more off pick downloads until 2pm.

mattphi

Post by mattphi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm

I vote NO

Reason: This change just pushes more of the off-peak time into the day (can't see the logic in this). Off-Peak is of no use to me during the day because I want my speed to be fast during the day for VOIP etc. I schedule my large transfers to start at midnight and I stop them by 7am so that voip/browsing quality is not affected.

kennethkwan

Post by kennethkwan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Excellent - I support this.

loudon

Post by loudon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Maybe even make it 2 am to 4 pm?

Regards,

H.

jwalder

Post by jwalder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Up until recently I was with iinet for my internet plan and this 2-2 timeframe is one of the reasons that I changed to exetel. Please don't go through with this change exetel. It's a horrible idea.

I'm usually up until midnight, so if I have any large downloads then I can just set them downloading as I go to bed and forget about them. Now I'll have to start worrying about schedulers, which are often as unreliable as they might be useful.

MRisos

Post by MRisos » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

i think 2am to 2pm will be alot better.. definitely vote yes

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Lasher wrote:Ultimately, it make no HUGE difference for me (as I can schedule downoads), but given a choice, I'd rather see 10pm-10am than 2am-2pm, for the reasons already stated - being awake to kick off any schedulled off-peak downloads, rather than rely on a scheduler.

As long as we still get 12 hours a day, that's what means the most to me: the LAST think I'd want to see implemented is the "differentiated off-peak" idea mentioned where a larger portion of our off-peak download were assigned specific hour bands.
Use HIBERNATE mode and schedule your computer to turn on (Task Scheduler/Scheduled Tasks, Settings tab, Wake the Computer to start this task)

amrstrong

Post by amrstrong » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm

This will be a great help to my schedule as i could use my off peak up until 2pm which will greatly help my download control.

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Zybch wrote:
antoniov wrote:I am a morning person, so I could easily adapt and start my large downloads (usually linux/bsd operating system) in the mornings.
Wow, do people still use that as a euphemism for movie downloads? :)
Just kidding. Possibly...
Yeh. Tricky people would just RSYNC the differences between a new OS release and save gigs of bandwidth and hours of time downloading the same packaged images over and over.

Infy.AsiX

Post by Infy.AsiX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 pm

This isn't a good idea in my opinion. Good ol' 12-12 sounds better to market. If you change it to 2-2 you'll lose interest from regular folk. Sure it's possible to schedule downloads but by changing you're forcing people to do that. 12 hours of off-peak is already enough, keep it accessible at 12-12.

It's good you ask for feedback before even implementing such a move. I still don't know how you could sell a 2-2 off-peak to people.
Last edited by Infy.AsiX on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottrinoz

Post by scottrinoz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Happy for the change I often work from home in the morning and sometimes for 1/2 the day or more, being able to use the Off peak until 2.00 Pm works for me, but conversly it doesn't really affect me if it stays the same.

I'm quite amazed at the level of angst over the pure suggestion of change, I'm sure there are more important concerns in the world then when people can start their downloads, go with the flow, there's still 8 Hours between 6.00 Am and 2.00 pm, just go to bed and get up early for a change, maybee it would be better for their moods and others if they all got a good nights sleep now and then instead of just staring at the pixels like brain dead morons.

At least we got asked what our thoughts were before the change.

dwaino86

Post by dwaino86 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Wife has more time in the morning to torrent missed TV shows and i won't notice a speed drop after midnight...

i vote YES please :)

alihoc

Post by alihoc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

This is a great idea as it would definitely allow better usage of the off peak quota. :D

nngn

Post by nngn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

I would like to stick to what it is now.
vote 'No' for this suggestion.

rickxs

Post by rickxs » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:23 pm

yes i would like the 2 till 2