Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ocyrion

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by ocyrion » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:15 am

Make it 10pm-10am, reduce the quota slightly or keep it as is. 2am is too late to start using it and I rarely use the net during the day. I think starting at 2am would make Exetel less competitive against another ISP like TPG who have greater off peak usage allowances but stingy periods.

neogeo

Post by neogeo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 am

Excuse the ignorance on my behalf, but what is the point of changing? Won't it just change peoples habits and create the bottlenecks at a different time. I download torrents over night, and am in Perth so theoretically off peak starts for me at 10pm at the moment. I don't use a scheduler because I go to bed at about 11 most nights and that is when I set my downloads, then I wake up at about 6:30-7:00am for work and shut the PC down. Most people I guess use the schedule feature of their torrent client. I say leave it the way it is, just my opinion....

austdata

Post by austdata » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 am

ocyrion wrote:...... another ISP like TPG who have greater off peak usage allowances but stingy periods.
Do TPG give more than 60GB's of off-peak download? :shock: :?:

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

diannew

Post by diannew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 am

I think its a brilliant idea if it stops the lag I get after 12 when off peak starts. I chat and I get the most horrendous lag as soon as it hits 12. Lets hope that this stops it or maybe the staggard off peaks might help as then there wont be so many on off peak at same time, im willing to change my off peak to help alleviate this lag

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 am

Tazz wrote:This is the reason I'm opposed to the suggested change to 2am, I would have to stay up later to start a download, because i don't know how they can be scheduled.
I keep seeing people refer to scheduling their downloads, how is this done?
It depends on the client you are using to download with.

For example, a client i use for downloading http/ftp stuff (of course legal content) - FlashGet (http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm)

You choose a 'schedule' time and choose to either download now, manually or via schedule.

I use this a lot for when getting large linux distro's such as OpenSUSE instead of manually downloading 5-6 cds slowly (and this client has multi-thread capabilities).

reefbreaker

Post by reefbreaker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 am

I don't like this proposal at all. I set my downloads to run before bed at midnight to use my off-peak bonus. I don't want to have to get up at 2am to start my downloads.

I think this only benefits people with a low-GB plan. I'm on a 42gb (peak) plan so this move wouldn't help me at all. I hope Exetel considers this since us people with a high GB allowance pay them the most money.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 am

reefbreaker wrote:I don't like this proposal at all. I set my downloads to run before bed at midnight to use my off-peak bonus. I don't want to have to get up at 2am to start my downloads.

I think this only benefits people with a low-GB plan. I'm on a 42gb (peak) plan so this move wouldn't help me at all. I hope Exetel considers this since us people with a high GB allowance pay them the most money.
Why not use a scheduler?

This is a preferred and easy method, queue what you want, set it for schedule and you can go on and sleep as much as you want.

aiki

Post by aiki » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

Simple - you don't run the process that provides the abilities
I thought this section was a forum that asked people for their opinions.
Why ask and then shut them down, bit harsh isn't it ?
I said in my post I'm not an expert, I'm just a customer trying to add something of value to the discussion.
My mistake.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 am

aiki wrote:
Simple - you don't run the process that provides the abilities
I thought this section was a forum that asked people for their opinions.
Why ask and then shut them down, bit harsh isn't it ?
I said in my post I'm not an expert, I'm just a customer trying to add something of value to the discussion.
My mistake.
I am also just offering a suggestion in general to you, whether there be a change to the offpeak times or not.

Instead of you having to stay awake and then manually start everything downloading you can use a download client/manager that supports scheduling then you can generally just queue what you want up and then do what else you wish to, whether it be sleep, go to work or whatever and the content will still download regardless.

KevinMEL

Post by KevinMEL » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 am

ok to me.

aiki

Post by aiki » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Simple - you don't run the process that provides the abilities
This wasn't my quote as you can see.

Anyway to finish, 2am to 2pm would be my preference.

freq

Post by freq » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 pm

I am strongly against the change. I am usually not online at 12pm or 2pm, so, the daytime change is of no benefit, however I am often online between 12 and 2am. I would churn as a result of this change!

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm

JeremyP wrote:
Tazz wrote:This is the reason I'm opposed to the suggested change to 2am, I would have to stay up later to start a download, because i don't know how they can be scheduled.
I keep seeing people refer to scheduling their downloads, how is this done?
It depends on the client you are using to download with.

For example, a client i use for downloading http/ftp stuff (of course legal content) - FlashGet (http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm)

You choose a 'schedule' time and choose to either download now, manually or via schedule.

I use this a lot for when getting large linux distro's such as OpenSUSE instead of manually downloading 5-6 cds slowly (and this client has multi-thread capabilities).
I download from Usenet via Astraweb.
I have searched and found a program to schedule the opening and running of programs, so am ready if Exetel makes the changes to offpeak.

After bringing up this question, and it being discussed in this thread, is Exetel closer to a decision on this as yet?

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Tazz wrote:After bringing up this question, and it being discussed in this thread, is Exetel closer to a decision on this as yet?
Yep back a page or two. No Change to current 12-12 band. May implement and option for another period.
ForumAdmin wrote:<snip>
I can tell you, that based on the feedback we have received to date there will be no moving of the current 12 hour start time in the near future - we may offer an option to those users who wish to avail themselves of it to have a choice of start times but it wil be an option not a general requirement.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

dubterrain

Post by dubterrain » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:54 pm

great idea , in the early am i only download with a scheduler so makes little difference there , and would give me 2 extra hours to download during the day before peak kicks in, im downloading a lot of stuff for a household of 6 people , all gain no pain , go for it and thanks for more top quality service from exetel , it never ceases to amaze me the absolute rip off rubbish deals people i know sign up for with other providers even though i push exetel to em ,mostly technophobia i think, reminds me of these people saying they have to stay up to start their downloads , youre using a computer just tell it what to do when you want it to do it, it doesnt own you for crying out loud............