Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
lasaboy

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by lasaboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 pm

As a disabled pensioner I think anything that saves us a quid would be good, we (pensioners) live day to day, not as bad as when I was a kid (living on bread & dripping) but its harder these days in other ways, with the economy the way it is, I know of a few pensioners on the net, I have been for many years, I am even gaming although with a 512k connection there is a bit of lag, but as I said anything is a plus for us.

lasaboy

Post by lasaboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:56 pm

As to rorting, I am sure a pensioner card could be photocopied at centrelink or at the local post office and counter signed as a true copy by the manager, this would verify it and cut out the abusers, as anyone who counter signs a bogus copy would find themselves in court, that's called fraud, worth I believe twenty years.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:57 pm

lasaboy wrote:As to rorting, I am sure a pensioner card could be photocopied at centrelink or at the local post office and counter signed as a true copy by the manager, this would verify it and cut out the abusers, as anyone who counter signs a bogus copy would find themselves in court, that's called fraud, worth I believe twenty years.
Exetel is all about automation, we keep form processing to an absolute minimum.

sandra

Post by sandra » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi
We have recently moved into the Ocean Shores area- and after talking to neighbours there is certainly a demand for reliable cheap DSL for retired people/pensioners. WE are on a $50 pm plan- our son (who was a uni student) has left home. We need to downsize! Our current provider wants to slam a penalty for reducing the plan and all it would save is $10pm- NOT GOOD enough
We are looking for a reliable alternative provider at the moment

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Your real problem is Telstra which has never cared about country exchanges. Only ADSL1 can be got from the exchange at Billinudgel and the Telstra wholesale price is expensive. Have a look at Exetel's range of plans at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php, but they are all more expensive than the faster corresponding ADSL2 plan, and you can't bundle a cheap PSTN phone. The maps look as though you just might have 2100 3g wireless coverage, so you might find something suitable there for a low-end user - http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php. I'd see what anyone nearby with a 3g mobile phone has to say about coverage.

mastcell

Post by mastcell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:07 pm

The problem I see with creating a special 'pensioner' category is the need for additional administration. Ultimately, it will be seen as a misguided gesture that benefit no one. The current Exetel plans are reasonable (some might say very competitive) compare to what are out there.

Instead of fussing over a 'pensioner plan' with all the administration headache, a better way to go is to ensure maximum efficiency with your (Exetel) operation so everyone wins because your service is available to everyone at a good price.

Personally, I think 'pensioners' should count themselves lucky in this country because of all the benefits they received. I actually think it is rude of them to be asking for 'more' discount based on the fact that they are 'pensioners'. I have to work hard everyday to pay my taxes so that government pays these pensioners. Meanwhile, 9% of my pay goes to my super because the government hope that it doesn't have to dole out money to me when I am old and invalid. On top of this, I am paying crisis insurance/life insurance and income protection etc so that I will have some financial independence if I become unwell. I too, have to budget within my means.

People should be responsible for their own actions, and should not be expecting provider discounts just because they are pensioners! If they failed to save for rainy days, it is their problem.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 pm

mastcell wrote:People should be responsible for their own actions, and should not be expecting provider discounts just because they are pensioners! If they failed to save for rainy days, it is their problem.
Hey that is a very UNFAIR and MISLEADING statement. There are many types of Pensioners, take for instance Disability Support Pension. Some of these people may well of not even been in a position to work a single day and were placed on a Pension the day they turned 18. How would these people have saved a for a rainy day?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

coal

Post by coal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:06 pm

After reading most of the responses so far it is quite obvious we all know how much of a good wicket we have with Exetel and there will be people in circumstances beyound their control won't be able to afford this great service. I am all for providing elderly people with a discount but I don't want to see discounts applied to one person and increase costs to another to make it cost nuetral.

These people could be identified the same as APIA, you know over 55 or if they have a pension card.

I know my parents are still using dial up and it can take forever to download a page you and I take for granted in seconds. I know he would like to have broadband but financially they can't afford the extra charges.

If there was a way to provide this I would like to see plans in the ADL 1 range (1-1.5M), I gig download per month with no off peak, sorry bed time is early for some people, and may be an option to have add on services (at a cost) like SMS or being able to send a fax to their doctor.

numbnut

Post by numbnut » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Don't bother making up another plan aimed at pensioners. We are doing OK on the plans you currently provide.

If you really want to help everyone out who is experiencing hard times, then stop applying unnecessary administration fees eg. when someone pays their account with a Debit Card.

And as for "Who or what is a pensioner?"

We come in many different forms, from many walks of life. We are not always frail, aged, or disabled. Sometimes we are the people left to care for this group.

Please just concentrate on providing a reliable, cost-effective service for all of your users.

Maureen

Post by Maureen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 pm

To qualify one has to be a valid pensioner - aged or disability.

Why fuss around with what to offer. If a pensioner agrees on a plan of their choice why not offer money off that plan. This way it's simple all round.

I pay Exetel $50 per month. I would like that reduced but really need my internet and as two of us are using it then the download quota is needed.

Perhaps the $50 plan I'm paying we could receive a reimbursement of say $5 - $10.

That's my opinion.

regards
Maureen

mastcell

Post by mastcell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 pm

vk3xem wrote: Hey that is a very UNFAIR and MISLEADING statement. There are many types of Pensioners, take for instance Disability Support Pension. Some of these people may well of not even been in a position to work a single day and were placed on a Pension the day they turned 18. How would these people have saved a for a rainy day?
That is why we have a social security system for these people, to help these unfortunate members of our society live above the 'poverty line', but it is not designed to give them all the luxuries of life. One has to work to get all the icing, that is the reality, even for a invalid pensioner. There are always ways to overcome the disability and earn an income if one is desperate enough.

The working Australian people pays their taxes for the social security system. My parents are beneficiary of it, to be sure. But private enterprises are not oblige to provide another social security scheme. My point is we all need to live within our budget.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 am

mastcell wrote:
vk3xem wrote:
That is why we have a social security system for these people, to help these unfortunate members of our society live above the 'poverty line', but it is not designed to give them all the luxuries of life. One has to work to get all the icing, that is the reality, even for a invalid pensioner. There are always ways to overcome the disability and earn an income if one is desperate enough.

The working Australian people pays their taxes for the social security system. My parents are beneficiary of it, to be sure. But private enterprises are not oblige to provide another social security scheme. My point is we all need to live within our budget.

centrelink recipients do not live above the poverty line.
i dont think too many of us older people would think of ourselves as *these unfortunate people* and nor do we expect the government to provide luxuries.
0nly what we were told all our working lives was to be there at the end for us.
now there is super for everyone and lets hope it all actually works out as planned .

have you ever, been a a disabled person, who sought work ??
do u know how hard it actually happens to be for some people with a disability to get any work.?
you dont actually overcome some disabilities you know.....they stay with you in most cases.
employers dont want disabled people in too many instances.
what is your experience of this that lets u make such dogmatic comments??

i do happen to see a lot of people who are poor in every sense of the word.
sure there are those that will try on for what they can get................but it is NOT the aged pensioners ...that much i can say of my experience.
it is more likely to be some young people of all kinds who want their drugs and drink and x boxes etc........and a government payout.
pensioners grew up balancing their budgets and in their older age........they are quite good at it

Karma is a real bitch and tends to get most people most of the time.
as my father used to say "every dog has his day"
"piss on someone and someone will piss on you"

how right he was

mastcell

Post by mastcell » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:35 am

soaper wrote:"piss on someone and someone will piss on you"
I wonder if this is referring to me? I think you have read me wrong and turned it into a personal debate. I do have sympathy for pensioners whatever their circumstances. I believe in social equality in many ways which I won't elaborate here. However, as Marshall McLuhan has said, 'There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.'

Going back to the original question of this forum, I think it is pointless to have a broadband plan for 'pensioners'.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:51 am

mastcell wrote:
soaper wrote:"piss on someone and someone will piss on you"
I wonder if this is referring to me? I think you have read me wrong and turned it into a personal debate. I do have sympathy for pensioners whatever their circumstances. I believe in social equality in many ways which I won't elaborate here. However, as Marshall McLuhan has said, 'There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.'

Going back to the original question of this forum, I think it is pointless to have a broadband plan for 'pensioners'.

it is a general comment where i see some lack of understanding of how life for others might be.

and i am not referring to people understanding my own particular life, either.

a *plan* isnt how i would do it.
rather i would just give a small across plan flat amount discount... or a fixed % off

exit me from this debate i think

artc

Post by artc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:30 am

I think such an account would attract many more customers.
The principle would be to keep the plan simple & basic, allowing the use of existing ADSL-1 modems.
Subscribing should be arranged to minimise/eliminate fraudulent applicants - for example:

- Centrelink reference & image of Pension or Senior card required to subscribe (minimise fraudulent subscriptions).

- Combined peak & off-peak allowance of 3 GB (older people do not all shut down after hours).

- No frills & extras such as VOIP, SMS etc. (keep it simple).

- Limited to ADSL-1 512k ideally (allows existing older modems to be used).

- Cost to be attractive would need to be $25/month maximum (any more & other plans become attractive).

Artc.