Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
4miler

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by 4miler » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am

My parents are pensioners, and use Exetel ADSL2 broadband. They need the speed for VoIP and Skype video.

Their average monthly download -- peak and offpeak combined -- is less than 4GB.

No massive downloads such as torrents etc.

Mostly email, a 3rd party VoIP, Skype and watching some youtube videos.

i.e. a 4GB plan in total, would suit, i.e. 4GB in total with no off-peak allowance. (and maybe a charge per extra GB downloaded).

Currently they are on a 6GB plan. They hardly use any of their off-peak limit.

They're currently under contract, so I wonder if Exetel would allow pensioners to break the contract to shift to the new pensioner plans.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 am

The federal government has made payments available to various pensioner groups, these payments appear to subsidise the Internet and phone offerings by TADAUST see...http://www.tadaustconnect.org.au/ This non profit organisation based in the ACT appears to be partnering an ISP already and applying government subsidies to their services for pensioners. They have broadband at $30 per month for 6G download, although the speed is only 256K. However for most users in the pensioner category this speed is probably sufficient. There would possibly be an opportunity for Exetel to be a partner in this scheme, I have no relationship to or do not use the Service however I do know some people (pensioners) that subscribe and am told it is excellent.

xywolap

Post by xywolap » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 am

Being an elderly disability pensioner I would like to give some feedback on this subject...

1. Would Exetel have access to Centrelink records to verify applicants?? Without this it would be on an honesty basis..?? 8)

2. The term pensioner covers a very wide spectrum.. Old Age, Disability, War Widows, Self Funded etc, etc... What pensioners would be allowed the lower rates?
A lot of self funded pensioners have far more income than employed people, not to mention massive tax exemptions.

3. Elderly internet users generally tend to call their ISP help desk for problems unrelated to connection problems. I do know of one that called their ISP when their mouse ceased to work and this type of call center contact would increase if pensioners were enticed with bargain rates.

As always, and not just these days, there have been people on low incomes in Australia, not just pensioners. Pensioners are far better off (by a long way) than the unemployed for example. With all the benefits and discounts we receive we are better off than a lot of employed people.

In my case I receive a pension but also have income from a private pension. Many others pensioners are in this situation too, how would you moderate that? We would like a discount but lets be honest about it... who really needs it?

Us pensioners currently receive a govt supplement for internet connection, It is only about $1 a month or close to that (lol). We also receive a telephone suupplement along with many other bonuses... free car rego, free licence, dirt cheap travel on govt transport, large discounts on land rates, water rates, electricity,etc etc.

Pensioners do get into the "i'm only a pensioner" syndrome and plead for discounts at every opportunity thus creating this suggestion. As stated before, most are more financially better of than working people and the sought after discounts are more a case of greed than need. If anyone deserves a discount it would be the unemployed as they get almost no supplementary benefits and would greatly benefit from having home access to the internet to seek emplyoment or access training. Some employed people are on very low incomes after tax and day to day costs.

Personally I would prefer to see Exetel continue to provide the service and bargain basement rates they already have and leave any supplements for internet connection for pensioners to the Government. The deal I have 6G+60GADSL2@$40 + Phone @$15 month is a bonus in itself.

I vote no on this suggestion. :D

julie

Post by julie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:27 am

I agree with another member... not all pensioners are old age ! I have been a pensioner for many years on disability pension which is
no different from the aged pension except we dont get the extra payments aged get ! To exclude other pensioners would be discrimination we can
no more afford the costs than the aged can.
I also dont think the voip or sms should be removed they are the things that give the savings. Downloads need to be a reasonable amount not 1gig like
some misguided person stated.. you barely get anything for that nowadays.

A pensioner is old age.. disability.. and there are also mothers with children who are pensioners.. I am not sure anyone has the right to discriminate who is more able to afford adsl in this group, many aged pensioners have big savings in the bank, some dont... everyones circumstances are different so if you are going to offer pension discounts then make them available to all pensioners.

Also for the other member... jimrawson.. are you sure you are not confusing skype with voip ? voip is as clear as a landline phone, skype and the like
are far inferior quality.

peterboyes07

Post by peterboyes07 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 am

I agree that customers who may be pensioners should be given the opportunity to receive any possible discount.

1) What is a 'pensioner' and how can this be qualified on an on line order form?
I think that the standard meaning for 'pensioner' can be easily applied. A person in receipt of a Centrelink or DVA pension. This can be verified on the order form by their Centrelink Customer Number or DVA number. I think the customer should make a declaration on the validity of their status too.

2) What 'plan profile(s)' would be applicable.
Just because they are on a restricted budget doesn't mean they should get the 'bones' plans. There should either be a discount applied to the chosen plan or a broadband/ADSL2 plan with lower downloads. If they're 'normal' users, I doubt they're downloading an great amount.

There you have it, my 2c worth.

Good luck.

Peter :D

mrtim123

Post by mrtim123 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 am

my 2 cents....

i would imagine that my parents would be interested in a pensioner plan. As they are both over 60 i assume they would qualify but wound understand if the conditions were higher age.

they mainly use the internet for emails and skype, so quota is not so important. speed is the main thing that they are after. a quota of 5gb would be more than enough i would imagine.

this for a small price, im sure it would get snapped up by a few users. now, how to determine if they are really pensioners......
mrtim123

Mood: Purple
Plan : 1.5Mb TL-BB

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 am

default to SLOW when over quota, pensioners wont know their current quota and wont want to pay extra for things they don't understand.
no 'off peak'.
no SMS, too complex to steup/send via web. one time fee $5 to get it on.
no VOIP, complex, probably wont want to risk losing PSTN line in emergency, so no point. one time fee $5 to get it on.
5 GIG is a good base limit.

Paper mailout of Extel contact details. We all need this probably on signup.
Help Line might be a problem.

No discounts (or very slim), make this plan available to anyone but prioritise and collect Centrelink number/DVA (if this is even legal!).

PottsForum

Post by PottsForum » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

I am against Pensioner discounts for the following reasons:-
1) I am a self funded retiree. I have paid Tax and Super all my life (hit twice, like private health insurance) and I get annoyed that those who have paid Tax only during their working life get all the benefits when they retire.
2) The rest of us will have to pay more to balance the books (the provisioning costs of Exetel as a business).
3) I would imagine that not only pensioners will use their service - children, grandchildren, neighbours will drop in.
4) What system is Exetel going to use to determine if the person is a real Pensioner (an opportunity for dishonest persons!) ?
5) Who is going to fork out the extra money to provide Exetel Support
5) Exetel is cheap enough anyway. Very good value for money.
6) Refer them to Kevin 07's new NBN company - it will be a Government controlled company.

vk2ybe

Post by vk2ybe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 pm

What a great idea! If Exetel did this it would be an excellent community service.
"Tad Aust" already offer this service to all pensioners and I have referred a number of friends to their service for "Dial up"
What most pensioners are looking for is low monthly cost, so a capped plan with a small download, say 1Gb at a minimum monthly fee would be ideal. Still allow an off peak download, and the option of Voip.
Customer service could pose a problem for Exetel.

gerry908

Post by gerry908 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:15 pm

James wrote:
Semp wrote:
James wrote:What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?
I'm a bit perplexed by James (Exetel Staff) response to this question. "What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people?" - well depending on the pensioner, disability for example, there might be a lot. "Why should they get cheaper internet" - I don't think there are any pensioners jumping up and down demanding anything. You should really choose your words more wisely James. As a disability support pensioner, I'm fairly insulted. Whats the point of sending out an email saying "Let's discuss this" if this is going to be the response from an Exetel Staff member.

Back to the issue at hand:

1. Just because someone is a pensioner doesn't mean they are old or don't like to download
2. I know disability support pensioners receive a telecommunications help once a year (it's not much, I can't even remember the exact figure - definitely less than $100).
3. For me personally, as I'm a high volume internet user, offering low download plans would be of little to no added benefit. That said, I can imagine it would be a big help to some.
4. I'm of the opinion that Exetel should focus on continuing to enable peoples experience of technology - like you do with all your new products and services - rather than offerring neutered services. Your prices are already among the best (if not the best) - why not offer "No administration fee" for pensioners ($3.00 credit card charge) or something like that RATHER THAN reducing services.

That's my thoughts.
They are my personnel thoughts on the issue, not Exetel's.

The plans are already the best value in Australia, and are now even more affordable, thanks to Krudds $900.00, which adds up to ADSL2+ inc line rental for 10 months.
It's obvious James, you are not a 'Pensioner?' Every dollar helps when you are a Pensioner. I'm a Pensioner and I don't need the large 'Download Allowance'that Exetel give and I think 5 or 6GB would be more than sufficient for my needs. Being a Pensioner, naturally, I'd be in favour of the discount

phar4oh

Post by phar4oh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Pensioner idea? Easy.

Don't create any qualifying criteria, just create a cheap $10-$15 p/mth plan with 1GB peak download 0 off peak, shaped to 64k and call it the Pensioner plan. Don't exclude people that aren't pensionsers, but just cater it so it's attractive to pensioners.

I think this would work as I've worked in a 2nd hand computer store for 6 years and we get a lot of old people/pensioners looking for super cheap (low spec) computers which they hardly use but just want to email grand kids or do a bit of skyping once a week.

If you create a plan like this, then it would be easier for resellers to recommend something like this because it fits their budget, creates an incentive to onsell it and keeps it simple. Let the reseller sell the modem and recommend your plan, they set it up and Exetel still receives payments 5 years after they're dead thanks to the cheesey direct debit setup that the estate administrators forgot to cancel.

AusHelen

Post by AusHelen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Any pensioner should qualify as long as they can show a pensioners card/ You can perhaps ask them for a copy of their cards or ask them for their Customer Reference Number from Centrelink.

I think maybe a discount for all plans under $50,- per month would be a good start. However, I do not think that ADSL2 should be included into "pensioners" plans. They wouldn't need super high speeds or massive download usage. But seeing as they are pensioners and are not working during the day or night, I think it would be fair to have an off peak period, but just a few hours.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Luxyboy

Post by Luxyboy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm

My parents will be pensioners in a year and are moving.
Upon moving I will be connecting them with EXETEL on an ADSL2+ with VOIP plan. They have a mobile that they can use for emergency calls so the landline is not needed.
I wouldn't look at reducing the DL limits as streaming videos/TV/radio/video calling and picture sharing are becoming more popular even with the older people. These can be quite large files if you use a decent MP camera (theres is 12MP). Don't know about others but my parents can share pictures but don't have clue how to downsize them.
Having the VOIP on and no line rental is a huge saving which they really want.

1. I agree with the no admin fees or something similar :) It is a discount but they can still choose the DL limit they want :idea:
2. Flat usage instead of On/Off peak
3. Any chance of getting your standard mobile plans on OPTUS instead of VODAPHONE :?: Better signal :idea: Dad won't change to EXETEL for mobile because he moved from VADOPHONE for that reason. He won't use internet on his phone so the HSPA plans are out because they get cancelled if you don't use the data.
4. Have you guys contacted Centrelink to see if they already have some form of verification program you can portal into :?:

Jacco

Post by Jacco » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 pm

As a pensioner I appreciate the consideration being given to looking after this group.

My son insisted on VOIP as my children live interstate and a mobile for safety. Bless him

The internet is my lifeline to the outside world and have learnt so much especially from researching health issues. I was able to help my wife with her asthma and allergies but missed Alzheimer's and this was all due to the internet. As she is now in a nursing home I use the internet to exercise my neurons. This helps the public purse as I am healthier now than I was a few years ago.

I use the internet for many hours each day and appreciate how it has helped me and how it allows me to keep in contact with my world

Jacco

Swivel

Post by Swivel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm on a carers pension, so take home pay has been reduced by approx. $700 a week and savings are a thing of the past as is owning a home, So what is a pensioner? Many OAPs have it good many don't. Most people on disability pension are on it for life and do not get the same benefits as OAPs nor ever have the chance too.

Anyway, I wouldn't touch this idea with a ten foot barge pole, validating the information isn't viable without getting a signed release for centrelink to confirm details and support calls would increase dramatically compared to today so an overall increase in costs which would have to be born by all users. The only way this could work and really be of benefit is if it was done in collaboration with the government (or a department?) or with a NGO at the community level, probably a better route as they could set-up a support network outside of yours, look after compliance etc.

OH voip - sms would need to be part of least one package..