Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Minnie242

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by Minnie242 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:51 am

mastcell wrote:Personally, I think 'pensioners' should count themselves lucky in this country because of all the benefits they received. I actually think it is rude of them to be asking for 'more' discount based on the fact that they are 'pensioners'. I have to work hard everyday to pay my taxes so that government pays these pensioners.
Personally,WE DIDN`T ask for a discount,Exetel brought up the suggestion of a plan and we and others are stating our views.
Personally,MOST of the pensioners have already worked very very hard during their lives and paid their taxes,I know I have.

This discussion is going to go "round and round" in circles,others will jump at the chance for something cheaper,and others will want nothing to change.

As the old saying goes "You can`t please everyone"

LordS

Post by LordS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 am

Minnie242 wrote:Personally,WE DIDN`T ask for a discount,Exetel brought up the suggestion of a plan and we and others are stating our views.
Well actually you's did.

A various few have been suggesting it via the suggestions box in the Exetel Members Facilities, which has driven this thought and proposed action.

VC8

Post by VC8 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 am

This is a really good idea but needs a couple of tweaks. Both my parents are over 65 and although they use computers for a variety of things, they are wary of excessive costs. So saying that, a simple plan at about 512 down, 3-5Gb, no off peak but the option of say 3$per Gb if they go over for around $30-35 would be ideal. Its not that they don't surf the net, more like what their children and grand children send them. ALso, the option of Voip should be included. In my instance family travel o/s for work so the voip option they see advertised is good. The key to this is a package where they can see what costs are involded. I had a look at the current option of no download and pay as you go but getting people to understand what a Gb is, and I don't think I am alone here....is bloody frustrating. My parents ask me to select and organise an ISP and package for them cos they find it too hard/time consuming. If you guys had something like above in place, I would have 2 new customers for you tomorrow!

sable

Post by sable » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

PAYU512 @ $30 per month + 3Gb peak = $33

or 3Gb off peak = $30.60

Jinster

Post by Jinster » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:20 pm

This thread is quickly becoming one of the biggest on the forum.

I think a few things seem clear:
1. Centrelink defined pensioners have variable means.
2. Centrelink defined pensioners have variable needs - some want large downloads, some want off peak allowances, some don't use SMS or VOIP, others find them indispensible (the only thing that nobody seems to care about is fax).
3. From 2, it would be difficult to make a "pensioner plan" to suit every Centrelink defined pensioner.

What is not clear, is:
1. Does Exetel want to offer the discounted plans by cost cutting (via trimmed services and reduced data allowances) or by subsiding from existing plans?
2. What specific target group is Exetel actually wanting to offer the "pensioner plan" to? Broadly defined, coffee, tea and biscuits are, in fact, medical drugs (used as stimulants, to treat urine infection and hypoglycaemia respectively). But it would be stupid for PBS (the government) to offer subsidies to the consumption of coffee, tea and biscuits just because they can be defined as drugs. It's a similar situation here. Knowing that the word "pensioner" actually encompasses far more types of people with wide ranging needs than perhaps what the original poster realised, it's now time to clarify exactly who Exetel wants to offer the discounted plan to - who does Exetel wish to be charitable towards? Which specific societal group with SIMILAR needs and SIMILAR means does Exetel think has the greatest need to benefit from a discounted plan?

One must remember that Exetel doesn't actually have to offer any such plans as all existing plans are cheap as they are.

One must also remember, whatever target group Exetel chooses to offer the discounted plans to, is entirely up to Exetel and should not be misconstrued as discrimination. I mean, if you donate to one charity, do all other charities have a right to have a go at you for discrimination? I would suggest not.

Knowing the political correctness issues involved, I do apologise for using the word "charity" in advance if some pensioners don't like its implications and feel offended. I certainly do not mean you as a feeble group. Please suggest a better word in its place and I will gladly accept your correction.

We have heard all the arguments, I think it's time for Exetel to offer some clarifications of its intentions.

jbrack

Post by jbrack » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Others have commented that the terms used (eg what is meant by 'pensioner'?)and the intentions of Exetel needs to be defined / clarified more clearly. Is this an intention to improve equity and a tailored service for a 'special needs' group or is it cost cutting? Certainly, there would be users among low income groups who would be interested in a very basic service and who do not now subscribe to a service because of cost - or some might be attracted to transfer to Exetel from other providers by a more affordable service option thus increasing Exetel's customer base. What are the hidden disadvantages for the consumer? It would be good to hear Exetel's clarification.

I have answered the questions sent to us by Exetel below with my answer under each question.
1) What is a 'pensioner' and how can this be qualified on an on line order
form?
[a] A pensioner is someone on a government pension - can range from old age, disability, single parent and so on . Exetel would need to state
which type of pensioner was eligible for the plan on the form - all or only old age pensioner for example.

(b) Another group Exetel might like to consider for this plan are those people who hold a Senior's Card but who are not a pensioner. To hold the card the person must be over 60 years of age with annual taxable income under a specified amount (I think it is $20,000 maximum) per annum - both the age and maximum income level are essential eligibility requirements to hold the Seniors Card. Seniors Card holders are often self funded retirees but unlike many in the group below, by definition, have low income.

(c) Another group of people to consider are self funded retirees whose income in some cases is not much more than a pension (as above in b if aged 60 or more
holding a Senior's Card) although some can be quite wealthy (and also younger than 60) and regardless of age may have very high taxable incomes from their investments - so not as deserving for positive discrimination as the a and b categories.

On an online order form you could put Pensioner (type) / Seniors Card holder. They could give their card number perhaps. I suggest Exetel contact
the Seniors Card office which is a government body.

2) What 'plan profile(s)' would be applicable.

I think no or small download allowance and no off peak would be appropriate for most - the basics needed. For instance I would think there would be no need for much download allowance and no 'off peak' allowance at all. I would agree although I would like the restrictions clarified a bit more.

I would think that someone wanting to save money on their broadband expenditure would already have a modem.
I would agree but many novice users need assistance so may not have one

I would think there would be no need for VoIP or SMS inclusions.
I would agree but there would be exceptions

J

PottsForum

Post by PottsForum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Exetel,
Don't ever do this again!
Please make it go away.
:| http://forum.exetel.com.au/posting.php? ... =4&t=31740#

cher

Post by cher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:56 pm

First I'll admit that I haven't read every post in this thread.

Other Internet providers supply pensioners or seniors a discount. My father actually had an account with a company in NSW that only supplied internet to pensioners (what kind of pensioners? I don't know).

I would agree with the suggestion that the discounts are limited to certain types of pensioners and not available to all health card holders - I agree with the previous posts that it could be limited to Seniors. VOIP must be an option because aged people often move away from their families when they retire. (We live in four different states)

Disability pensioners often get a hard time with being able to afford the extra things, a lot of them have high medical costs and little left for entertainment so it would be sad to exclude them from discount internet, but then some people with health care cards are able to earn quite a lot, so it would be hard to work out who should be eligible or not.

That's my 2 cents worth!

lpannekoek

Post by lpannekoek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Can you give them a 1 gig plan, no sms / voip etc, just internet, ADSL, 512, for $25 per month?

Dimal

Post by Dimal » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:58 pm

James wrote:What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?
I am a Full Time Disability Pension recipient as a result of a number of strokes and a heart attack a few years ago. Due to my heart problems I often have problems even getting out of bed. About the only contact I have with the outside world is through the Internet, VoIP and email. I have no savings, these were used up years ago with medical bills and other related costs and with the pension, there is no hope of generating any savings.... we (my wife and permanent carer) live from week to week and sometimes we go without for a few days until the next payment becomes available. I'm not trying to generate sympathy here, just laying a few facts on the table.

Our youngest son helps pay for our Internet and VoIP costs, otherwise we wouldn't even have it at all. I requested of Exetel the possibility of transferring from our current Plan to one of the PAYU ADSL1 plans (we live in a rural area). We were told that this is not possible and that it is only available for New Accounts. If we were able to make this transfer, it would help us enormously since we have never used our account's download limit (not even close) so something that would allow us to reduce costs here would definitely help.

I really hope you are not as heartless an individual as your post above suggests....

Mal.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Dimal wrote:
James wrote:What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?
I am a Full Time Disability Pension recipient as a result of a number of strokes and a heart attack a few years ago. Due to my heart problems I often have problems even getting out of bed. About the only contact I have with the outside world is through the Internet, VoIP and email. I have no savings, these were used up years ago with medical bills and other related costs and with the pension, there is no hope of generating any savings.... we (my wife and permanent carer) live from week to week and sometimes we go without for a few days until the next payment becomes available. I'm not trying to generate sympathy here, just laying a few facts on the table.

Our youngest son helps pay for our Internet and VoIP costs, otherwise we wouldn't even have it at all. I requested of Exetel the possibility of transferring from our current Plan to one of the PAYU ADSL1 plans (we live in a rural area). We were told that this is not possible and that it is only available for New Accounts. If we were able to make this transfer, it would help us enormously since we have never used our account's download limit (not even close) so something that would allow us to reduce costs here would definitely help.

I really hope you are not as heartless an individual as your post above suggests....

Mal.
Hi Mal,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Please send your details to james@exetel.com.au and i'll see if I can move you to a payu plan.

James

mattmuir

Post by mattmuir » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 am

Let them be mobile!!

I can't believe the value in these plans. I'd never looked at them as I can access the net wirelessly at home & work, and the iPhone does anywhere else. My parents would love these plans!

Exetel -- you need to SERIOUSLY SIMPLIFY the wording on those pages. Even the HSPA name would scare most people off.

Pensioner Plan
1. Buy a $195 modem
2. Sign up for a plan. These are light usage - ideal for e-mail & a bit of browsing. Do not leave the computer on to check for mail every 5 minutes, nor get addicted to FaceBook (just ask my inlaws about this!)
3. Plug it in, hop in the car & caravan, and keep in touch

You get the idea anyway... My only other suggestion is to offer a majority off peak only service -- coupled with the proposed "selectable" off peak, this may suit many. 2Gb off peak, .5Gb on.

patara

Post by patara » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:28 am

I am on a single Disability Pension and not too many years off the Aged. It is my only income. Personally I do not think it would be fair to other low income groups to just have a cheap plan aimed at Pensioners nor fair to the pensioners who would prefer a higher plan.
I budget to pay for my 8GB ADSL1 plan and forgo many lifestyle luxuries to do so but that is my choice. I may be elderly but I still love computing and it is my only social outlet. I enjoy my time on the Internet and make good use of my allowance.
I think the plan rates at Exetel are already the best around but if you want to do something like this, offer a low cost/no frills plan to any person who is cash strapped or doesn't need the extras.
If you do want to help pensioners I think it would be fairer to offer a small discount off any plan the pensioner may like to use. I'm sure many would opt for a dearer plan or one that suited their needs rather than the entry one if they knew they would be getting a discount.

camellia

Post by camellia » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:31 pm

I have been a pensioner for some time, I looked at all options and found Exetel the best. I might not use all the download available but it is there if I need it. Pensioners do get a good rebate from the government every now and then to offset Internet costs and there is a provider subsidised by the government especially for pensioners. Exetel, don't worry about providing something special it is already out there.

Minnie242

Post by Minnie242 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:35 pm

lpannekoek wrote:Can you give them a 1 gig plan, no sms / voip etc, just internet, ADSL, 512, for $25 per month?
i would use 1 gig in less than a week, plus i like the sms`s as it`s cheaper to send them from Exetel then it is from my mobile phone