Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jogra

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by jogra » Tue May 12, 2009 3:36 pm

I feel a plan to suit aged and disability pensioners would be desirable, do not see the need to extend this beyond these two categories.
I am an aged pensioner and would like to have an internet package that would give me
2 gigabytes of useage
Speed 512 mininum or 1024 would be desirable
Would only need one email account
Maximum charge of $20.00 per month

No VOIP (would be prepared to pay extra if needed some time in the future)
Don't need SMS or FAX
Don't need Website Space
Don't need off peak allowance
Don't need a modem

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed May 13, 2009 12:05 pm

i didnt know that centrepay cost the business any money

if that is the case then it might well be more worthwhile for exetel to simply do as other utilities do and ask for a one off proof of entitlement.
depending on the sort of pensioners they might choose to allow a discount to, there is probably not all that much movement in and out of entitlement.
sole parents, if they were discounted, would seem to be the ones most likely to change over time.
then disability pensioners
with old age less likely

i suppose that a real decision could be made by asking for all customers to nominate if they would be applying and then exetel could do the math and figure out what was possible.
go with centrepay?
or have a person who came in for a few days to code in the entitlements to the system.?
that would probably get all the *old* customers set up .
from then on it would just be part of the info picked up at joining of entitled customers

????????????????

i dont know how Spin.net does it but it is certainly advertised well on their site

IME the utilities are very dogged in their persuit of anyone who they subsequently find has not given correct info about loss of entitlement.
the money owing is added to current bills
exetel might not find that so easy

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm

bearing in mind that VOIP with the optus set up dosnt give CSG that some in the pensioner group might want /need to have.

i had to call 000 the other night to report a local nasty car accident and got straight thro on my VOIP line but they had to ask my phone number as it didnt show.
this needs careful thought by people in making their choices.
for this reason i have a parallel telstra line that i would normally use for backup and 000 calls.
the added cost is part of what i wear for me to feel non frustrated if VOIP were to drop out and for emergency calls if i am sick.
i tried the VOIP the other night out of curiosity really..... and it was fine

personally i think that VOIP is the best thing that could happen to a customer of any kind.
it has cut my costs enormously

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 13, 2009 5:42 pm

jogra wrote:I feel a plan to suit aged and disability pensioners would be desirable, do not see the need to extend this beyond these two categories.
I am an aged pensioner and would like to have an internet package that would give me
2 gigabytes of useage

Don't need SMS or FAX
Don't need Website Space
Don't need a modem
A 512/128 port rental is almost $30.00 a month paid to Telstra for a small ISP like Exetel.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Thu May 14, 2009 10:54 am

jogra wrote:I feel a plan to suit aged and disability pensioners would be desirable, do not see the need to extend this beyond these two categories.
2 gigabytes of useage

Don't need SMS or FAX
Don't need Website Space
Don't need a modem
Why not use HSPA E1 or E3. That gives you comparable (or better) speed and 2GB for $22.50 per month?

LordS

Post by LordS » Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Doesn't offer any form of shaping and upfront costs are too high for most....

Scuzzbucket

Post by Scuzzbucket » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:25 pm

As a disability pensioner aged 59 I am savvy enough to build my own PC and would welcome any cheaper form of Internet access. My ideal setup would be an "all in one" plan. i.e. Home phone with VOIP and up to 10gb and a cheap mobile service.
The notion that pensioners don't need much of a download limit is rubbish as most pensioners can't afford to get out much and so spend a LOT OF TIME surfing and watching Youtube and downloading the odd movie to watch.
Most pensioners are not techno savvy but they're not stupid either. they can learn fast .... I am teaching my 84 year old mother to use Skype to call my brother and his family who live in New York. She is picking it up easily.
So an "all in one" plan would be one of the suggestions that hould be put forward, and why is land line rental more expensive than a mobile?????
Cheers
Gaz
In three words I can sum-up everything I've learned about life: It Goes On !

compositor

Post by compositor » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Simply make your solutions easier to understand and use, as I have found it very difficult to obtain information on how to use cheap faxing, SMS and VoIP over wireless broadband.

Also, maybe consider partnering with other (innovative) providers who provide quality of service.

Amraks

Post by Amraks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm

why not discount pensioners 10 dollars.
I see pensioners that struggle allot with rego, rent, food, electricity, clothes, communications.

Communications technology means allot to them,

I get sad seeing pensioners treated with high cost of living.

So yeah 10 dollars cut off would be a big saving to them.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Amraks wrote:why not discount pensioners 10 dollars.
I see pensioners that struggle allot with rego, rent, food, electricity, clothes, communications.

Communications technology means allot to them,

I get sad seeing pensioners treated with high cost of living.

So yeah 10 dollars cut off would be a big saving to them.
I don't think that Exetel has a single ADSL plan that makes $10.00 profit.

compositor

Post by compositor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:14 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I don't think that Exetel has a single ADSL plan that makes $10.00 profit.
That's probably right, but does it mean that there can't be quality facilities or is the underlying "service" all that matters?

praxidice

Post by praxidice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

I've done quite a bit of work (some paid but the majority voluntary upaid / charitable) with 'pensioners' and feel one must define at least three & probably four categories of 'pensioner'. Whether or not the same level of discounting / financial support / whatever should apply to each of the 3 categories is another matter again.

Firstly there are the obvious 'old age / wrinklies' one normally thinks of, but this group comprises folk who own house / car / whatever & don't have major expense issues (say medical or supporting a tribe of rugrats / yard apes or the like). People in this group are often surprisingly affluent, enjoying a raft of discounts / handouts / benefits / concessions. Remember that even the moronic Centrelink rules allow pensioners to earn some external income, and for that matter many people soon figure how to supplement their 'official' income without the gestapo knowing. Forget the Hank Jongen blurb on the idiot box, it doesn't take a lot of functional grey cells to outwit the dimwits employed by Centrelink.

Secondly there are those 'old age / wrinklies' on age pension but who are attempting to pay off a house / pay rent / support a tribe of rugrats / yard apes (probably sons / daughters offspring rather than their own, although I do know cases where the 'pensioners' are supporting their own kids). Add smoking to the list (from my observation, many people in this group tend to be heavy smokers) and it isn't hard to see why they complain about being poorly done by. In most cases, folk in this situation are in deep diabolicals. I have a neighbour who fits the category, HEAPS of expenses including who knows how many abandoned brats, massive medical expenses etc etc. Whether or not the expense items are the fault of the pensioner or not, the fact remains that anyone in this situation is a sad case.

Thirdly there are those on disability benefits. As with the previous categories, some (those with assets & no significant expenses) are quite well off and some (those with the proverbial millstone around their neck) are in deep manure. The advantage many disability pensioners enjoy is relative youth which enables them to take advantages of situations that their wrinkly counterparts cannot. Again, I know a lot in the 'sans-millstone' category, all of whom regard life as a ball, and a few carrying a dirty big weight around their neck and whose life I don't envy.

The moral / logistical issues of deciding who gets what level of assistance I'll leave to others. Personally I have a set of guidelines that I follow, & that work for me, but YMMV.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 pm

praxidice wrote:I've done quite a bit of work (some paid but the majority voluntary upaid / charitable) with 'pensioners' and feel one must define at least three & probably four categories of 'pensioner'. Whether or not the same level of discounting / financial support / whatever should apply to each of the 3 categories is another matter again.
ummmm
this is a very old thread.
i think it was pretty much decided that there was no discount seeing as none was offered

i can understand that given the prices charged by exetel.

i think it is a bit harsh to paint pensioners in such a hard light in such sweeping words.

i am one of the aged people who totter around as a volunteer assisting others...........all of whom are way younger than me.
all of which is done with my petrol and phone calls at my cost.
i have no income other than my pension and havnt had a holiday in 6 years.
i dont make judgments about them or their families except in terms of whether they get what they ask for or not.
that is partially a judgment i suppose

for a private company to give a pension discount is hard to implement and as i suggested before i think it can only be done based on current entitlement cards.
otherwise judgmental opinions start to creep in. u either accept centrelinks judgment.... or not. to create a separate way to define *need* is way too hard.

telstra itself is pretty mangy with the discount anyway... hedging it around. optus dosnt give it and neither does anyone else.
i think the idea of this discount is not flying and could easily be left to wither on the vine......again .

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am

From reading the first page alone, i get the impression that a lot of "pensioners" use dial up because they can't afford broad band. My suggestion is thus, offer 3GB of data and cap speeds to 64Kbps once they exceed there data limit (It's still faster then dial up!). It gives them the opportunity to stream videos and download large images in a timely manner while improving upon the base speed of the internet service.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

m1scha_m

Post by m1scha_m » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:26 am

I'm not sure if this is where I should have posted so if its not correct please excuse my ignorance.

I am an aged pensioner and have been with Exetel for several years now. I have just moved house and had hoped to continue using Exetel's ADSL, however when I tried to have the internet connected to my new address I found I could not afford it. I found this rather confusing as in the past few weeks I had helped a friend move to the same town and her internet cost far less than what I had been quoted. In fact I could not afford broadband internet of any substance with any provider I could find.

I am not worried as there are many free wifi outlets in existence now so accessing my emails will be no great difficulty although software upgrades may be.

My problem is; I have two websites associated with my account, my .id.au and a .com.au. The .com.au belongs to the friend I helped move and she has no objections if I were to link these sites with her account as well as linking my email account. So how do I go about doing this? I am a bit deaf and I have trouble understanding the Sri Lankan staff, and have found there is a lot of confusion when I do so. So a response to this post would be appreciated please.