Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by jokiin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm

peterh_oz wrote:
Regarding travelling, yes you can notify centrelink but your PCC is still suspended whilst overseas. So if exetel check your eligibility, your will show as "not a pensioner". For privacy reasons the only answer from centrelink is "yes" or "no", not "yes but temporarily overseas".
realistically who would be doing a one time only application for a special deal anyway, logically it would either get done before or after any travel

Myztry

Post by Myztry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

The idea for at cost broadband for (Aged) pensioners is a very good idea. There are likely (cost) issue such as tech support calls which could prohibit this.
One way to tackle this is would be through the use of SPONSORS. The sponsor (another Exetel account) becomes responsible for support calls. Sort of like the referer schemes but in reverse. The sponsor could also allocate a (fixed) percentage of there available bandwidth to the pensioner.
Most pensioners getting onto a 'subsidised' scheme would be doing so at the prompting of a vested (relative/child) Exetel customer. The account handling of these sub-accounts could be automated which is what Exetel excels at. There are business advantages too. The sponsor could be liable for fraudulent (unverifable) pernsioner accounts. Extra accounts/quota are likely to be purchased by (future/existing) sponsoring parties.
The key would be to keep the pensioner account fixed priced as suit their budgetting requirements.

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Exetel plans already kick ass. I would recommend Exetel to anyone. (I do quite regularly at the computer store I work at :P) I dont see why they need to go cheaper for a certain group of people.

THELNING

Post by THELNING » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:53 pm

I HAVE BEEN WITH EXETEL FOR ABOUT FOUR/FIVE YEARS,I AM ON A PENSION I HAVE BEEN ABKE TO AFFORD IT,I HAVE
COMPARED ALL THE REST OF THE PROVIDERS AND EXETEL ARE BEST & CHEAPEST BY-FAR, SO I THINK THIS PLAN WOULD BE GREAT FOR THOSE WHO ARE STRUGGLING

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:13 pm

peterh_oz wrote: The reason I said "it could be argued" (and I am not taking sides either way) is that self-funded get no discounts anywhere (except the sensiors card). They pay full price on rates, water, electricity, phone, often public transport, car rego, the list goes on. All those discounts add up, and could bean that a person just below the pension means-test line actually has more $$ than a self-funded slightly above the same line.
i think that the value of these concessions is over rated

i have had cause to examine them in minute detail in years gone by.
i do volunteer work usually that keeps me in close touch with people who are considered poor.
i havnt added the allowences up lately .....but lets say $1500 a year.

depends on whether u are a home owner or not with eg water board rebates which are the most generous of the lot for home owners.
some renters pay in various ways that are not rebatable as do dept of housing clients who pay a fixed amount to the dept along with rent.
depends on whether u own a car or not.
i forget what a 5 year licence is worth but maybe $100...$20 a year. ??
annual registration.....cant remember but say max of $400.
electricity is not much...under $20 a quarter i think.
gas pretty much the same from memory.
rates........that varies but maybe a few hundred.......i am in a strata plan of homes so dont remember how it is for single blocks right now.
prescriptions are valuable if u have a lot that are PBS approved, but there is a ceiling anyway for all of us and they are free beyond a point.
there is a $5 odd pharmaceutical allownece for all pensioners per FN
that is about it as far as i recall.

transport...........is nice if u can afford it or have the money to go someplace. there are many very poor who dont have literally anyplace to go to ...or if they do they may well ask for assistance to pay the fare anyway.
self funded retirees are more likely to have the people and places to visit and capacity to go anywhere.

there are always those who are on borderline for tax purposes, means tests, intelligence .......whatever.
a clever self funded retiree who was so minded and wanted to get these few pension benefits has only to spend a bit of money to fall below the line and qualify.
not hard and has been done by many for a long time :)

the same sort of reasoning applies to those who find ways to not accpt employment because as disability or sole parents they are better off on that pension til they are forced off.
or for that matter some unemployed do the same if they have perhaps enough kids to rack up a good income and perhaps a housing dept house

so .......bottom line......i think it is a spurious argument LOL :D
there are ways around everything if u are so minded and have half a brain :evil:

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm

MikeMil wrote:Exetel plans already kick ass. I would recommend Exetel to anyone. (I do quite regularly at the computer store I work at :P) I dont see why they need to go cheaper for a certain group of people.
because once upon a time the old of our communities were valued for what they had, did and would contribute to that community.
communities did not have such a deep seated youth culture as now seems to prevail.

check out who does all the volunteer work in your community.
any and all volunteer work.
i am prepared to bet that there are few people under age 60 doing anything.
they are at work probably....well usually are they

which leaves ALL that work to us oldies.
a good deal of my 100 VOIP calls eg go to calls about the volunteer work i do.
not so much right now.......but significant in the past.
ditto my mobile was used the same way
my car the same
no compensation at all paid and none asked.

now i am in need of help...........who drives me...........65-75 year old volunteers

so that is why the aged might need to be looked after because they help mind the grandkids for free, provide more volunteer services than most people ever ever find even exist.
if the aged went on strike............trust me the world would be stuffed.
truly. and not just other aged

pinkmio

Post by pinkmio » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Something I think all of you should know, that there are not only old age pensioners but many types of pensioners.

For example I am on a disability support pension, after rent (I am lucky I got DOH) in housing commission is taken out, I am left with about only $150 per week for Internet, food, electricity, entertainment, petrol.. etc.. If exetel didn't offer such plans I would not be able to have internet connection. My life would not be a productive one.

Bamster

Post by Bamster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm

Sorry, but I just can't see a sound business case for pensioner discounts nor a compelling social argument.

Exetel is a commercial enterprise providing what can arguably be called a non-essential service. As others have already stated, the rates are already quite competitive which is one of the very reasons why Exetel has the market share that it's got. Should Exetel wish to attract pensioners away from (say) their current cheaper dial-up plans with BigPond then this can be done with an appropriately structured ADSL package that works out just as cheap while maintaining a standard profit margin for the company. In the main, this means pretty much what has been suggested at the beginning of the thread, i.e. low download allowances of around 1~2 GB and no (or low) off-peak allowances. Any 'pensioner' who requires service features more akin to power users most probably doesn't meet the traditional criteria that the title infers, and I for one would not like to subsidise them.

For essential services, the government is the organisation best placed to determine appropriate discounts for pensioners. I imagine that they intend to do exactly that when the multi-billion dollar broadband roll-out occurs, noting that the government will have a controlling interest in that service.

ITSMANAGED

Post by ITSMANAGED » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Hike the plans for all non pensioners and give pensioners free broadband. Surely a $1 per month for each non pensioner service will cover the cost of service to pensioners.

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:05 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 1) What is a 'pensioner' and how can this be qualified on an on line order form?
every pensioner has their pension number, verification difficult, so perhaps a fax'd or scanned copy of pension card along with some form on photo ID would prove them to be one (its how we used to it)
ForumAdmin wrote: 2) What 'plan profile(s)' would be applicable.
512/1500 (or adsl2 where works out cheaper then hel$tras dsl port costs)
ForumAdmin wrote: For instance I would think there would be no need for much download allowance and no 'off peak' allowance at all.
This I disagree with, especially given Exetels peak/off-peak time slots, many pensioners are up at the crack of dawn and go to bed by 8pm, but of course you are correct in so far as they would never need such large data allowances, I'd say 2G/2G would suite most of them, for many they'd use it no more than Email, but some may use far more, MSN, browsing, Skype etc
ForumAdmin wrote: I would think that someone wanting to save money on their broadband expenditure would already have a modem.
Eh? no, but they would tend to shop around for the cheapest basic model to suite their needs, they certainly wouldnt need a 4 port unit.
ForumAdmin wrote: I would think there would be no need for VoIP or SMS inclusions.
Dont assume pensioner eq dummy, VoIP should be included, though SMS I agree not really (I've lost count at how many times my dad has been shown how to READ sms's and he still cant be bothered, I dont think hes ever sent any apart from my showing him how to :)

Bamster

Post by Bamster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Crikey, given that I just described Exetel as being a COMMERCIAL enterprise, is ITSMANAGED just trolling by suggesting the non-pensioner levy?

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Bowersub wrote: Now, I use the internet as I live at home with my pensioner father (i.e. he's in his 60s, and has a penisoner card). I do a lot of gaming. I use the net a lot for university. As a photographer, I do a lot of browsing of photos. I do a lot of music downloading through iTunes, etc. I think reducing the download allowance and off peak allowance is wrong.

a) It discriminates against age; "Oh, you're old, so you won't download much. Here, use it for online banking and email, it's all you'll be able to do." I know people in their 60s who do online gaming as much as the 15 year old kid I tutor.
This is the problem, the plan is designed for people like your dad, NOT you, a healthy 24yo who IS capable of working and paying for his own internet, I have a few friends your age doing the same as you, but they DO work at night, they manage, so why should you get a free ride? sorry if it sounds harsh, but what you want is to abuse a proposed Exetel offering, you are only concerned with yourself, not your dad, who might use a bare 100MB a month.

gurrier

Post by gurrier » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

I don't understand the need to support "pensioners" as a group for discounted internet access.
If, as I suspect, they are less likely to be involved in huge monthly downloads, perhaps it would make better sense to offer them one of your low download quota plans?

To benefit society, I'd like to see some encouragement given to "free" software by encouraging the download of open and free software as an alternative to the closed proprietary formats and systems we are locked in to.
Perhaps mirroring some of the well known free software packages and placing them outside the download allowances?
(Distributions of linux, openoffice and firefox would be a start even though they are not strictly speaking fully "free" as in speech)

Pensioners could benefit from this also.

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Bamster wrote:Crikey, given that I just described Exetel as being a COMMERCIAL enterprise, is ITSMANAGED just trolling by suggesting the non-pensioner levy?
Yes it seems so, its adds no real-life and genuine input to this discussion

Diji1

Post by Diji1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Well, I'm currently recieving Disability Support Pension (DSP) and I'm on on NONPHONEE plan - ie. the most costly ADSL2+ service. I guess I'm better off than many other people who'se only income is derived from recieving a pension as I own my own home and hence do not pay rent. I am in my early 30's. The reason I cannot work at present is I sustained major injuries in a motor vehicle accident - you know, hardly my fault I'm in this situation is it?

I think it should be noted that many retirees structure their assets and income(s) to recieve a part pension - the best case for them being that they recieve $1.00 of pension. The reason for this is that as long as you recieve any form of pension you get the entirety of the concessions available to all pensioners; you can claim utility allowances, discounts on council rates, travel, entertainment etc. etc, the same as someone who recieves a pension as their only source of income. Last time I looked (3 or so years ago I think) one could recieve a part pension of $1.00 with assets of $250,000 (not including primary residence) and just under $50,000 income per annum. Clearly these people are not struggling and I think you should limit the subsidy, if it's implemented, to people recieving a full pension.

Last time I checked the concessions available to pensioners, including partial, is worth at least $1500 per annum... it's worth much more depending on what other services you get a concession on: for example if you visit the cinema weekly you pay children's ticket prices. The $1500 consists only of costs that all people will always pay such as essential utilities, rent or council rates etc.

As for myself, if you implement this idea I would prefer that you structure the subsidy to cover any plan and have a percentage deducted from the amount paid.

Also, I must take issue with Jame's comments: I was pretty disgusted by your attitude mate. As a staff member who the hell are you to say "why should pensioners get a subsidy": you work for Exetel, Exetel has asked for comments regarding this idea - you shouldn't be commenting at all as you're staff. Why is this even allowed - what is the point of asking your customers for their viewpoint if that's what staff think? The fact that it's your "personal viewpoint" is entirely irrelevant: in your capacity you are representing Exetel. Why the hell are you commenting on this thread which has the purpose of obtaining customers viewpoints?

"What makes pensioners different from other people" is that many of them - such as myself - cannot change their circumstances: they're either too old or physically or mentally unable to work. I will not be on a pension for the rest of my life I'm hoping but at the moment I'm taking a huge dose of morphine and literally in agony for much of the time with low back pain. After a few years of this it has mental effects that I hope you will never experience.

Please my friend, a little thought and compassion wouldn't go amiss if you are going to comment.