Content Filtering Trial

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
mickos
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by mickos » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Peter@Watchdog wrote: We can also set the Whitebox up with a whitelist for commonly accessed URLs such as Youtube, and should they get added to the blacklist list either purposefully or inadvertently then the traffic would not route through the filter as the routes would not be advertised for these sites. This addresses the potential risk of a large amount of routed traffic overloading the filter connection. I cannot comment on the content of the list as there have been no final policies set about this as yet and it is my understanding this is one of the issues that the filtering trials are investigating.
Yes, though whether the filter vendor themselves deciding arbitrarily which portions of the list shall or shall not be blocked is perhaps also beyond the scope of purpose vendors, ISP's & governments are trialing these very boxes for, let alone whether whether commercial 'filtering' of government blacklists serves any useful argument from a moral or political basis either.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat May 02, 2009 8:23 pm

donkeykong wrote:I've noticed a slight drop in speed over the last few days, I don't really use the internet much during the week but this weekend i've noticed pages seem to take longer to connect, the actual downloading of content on the page is the same though.
See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p244018 and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p244023; the same response applies.

marting
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by marting » Sun May 03, 2009 1:16 am

NetworkAdmin wrote:
marting wrote:I experience significantly low speeds recently. I used to be on an average of 8Mbps and now very often I get only 1.5. Could it be because of the filter?

It has nothing to do with the trial. Use traceroute to determine that for yourself and read the many, many other posts that explain what is and isn't affected.
How does traceroute track speed problems? It's not that I can't reach a site but in certain hours the network is very slow. Seems to be the offpeak periods.
Tracert shows this but I get only 1.5Mbps:

C:\Users\Martin>tracert http://www.news.com.au

Tracing route to a1273.g.akamai.net [220.233.2.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 34 ms 30 ms 30 ms 10.0.1.33
4 38 ms 31 ms 55 ms 2.4.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.4.2]
5 29 ms 45 ms 30 ms 57.1.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.1.57]
6 51 ms 31 ms 31 ms 170.2.233.220.exetel.com.au [220.233.2.170]

Trace complete.

bardo
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by bardo » Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 am

okay, what does this mean??
something is blocking google.com.au??
Date: April 30, 2009 8:53:00 PM GMT+10:00
------------
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) Server at www.google.com.au Port 80

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:19 am
Contact:

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by NetworkAdmin » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 am

marting wrote:
NetworkAdmin wrote:
marting wrote:I experience significantly low speeds recently. I used to be on an average of 8Mbps and now very often I get only 1.5. Could it be because of the filter?

It has nothing to do with the trial. Use traceroute to determine that for yourself and read the many, many other posts that explain what is and isn't affected.
How does traceroute track speed problems? It's not that I can't reach a site but in certain hours the network is very slow. Seems to be the offpeak periods.
Tracert shows this but I get only 1.5Mbps:

C:\Users\Martin>tracert http://www.news.com.au

Tracing route to a1273.g.akamai.net [220.233.2.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 34 ms 30 ms 30 ms 10.0.1.33
4 38 ms 31 ms 55 ms 2.4.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.4.2]
5 29 ms 45 ms 30 ms 57.1.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.1.57]
6 51 ms 31 ms 31 ms 170.2.233.220.exetel.com.au [220.233.2.170]

Trace complete.
It shows whatever problem you have has nothing to do with the filter.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:19 am
Contact:

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by NetworkAdmin » Sun May 03, 2009 10:37 am

bardo wrote:okay, what does this mean??
something is blocking google.com.au??
Date: April 30, 2009 8:53:00 PM GMT+10:00
------------
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) Server at http://www.google.com.au Port 80
It means that the server admin has not given you permission to access the root directory of that server, for some reason. You see, you can get a bit of a clue from the message where it says "You don't have permission to access / on this server".

You would have to ask Google why that is.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:19 am
Contact:

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by NetworkAdmin » Sun May 03, 2009 12:26 pm

The trial has ended at 12:15pm today. Please see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p244129 for results.

terrox
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am
Location: MAYF exchange Hunter Region NSW

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by terrox » Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 pm

if the Filter is potentially going to have 10 000 websites, maybe that should have been the length of the list.

donkeykong
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: melb

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by donkeykong » Sun May 03, 2009 7:01 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
donkeykong wrote:I've noticed a slight drop in speed over the last few days, I don't really use the internet much during the week but this weekend i've noticed pages seem to take longer to connect, the actual downloading of content on the page is the same though.
See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p244018 and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p244023; the same response applies.
How do these posts apply to the problems I have noted with my internet connection?

donkeykong
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: melb

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by donkeykong » Sun May 03, 2009 7:04 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:The trial has ended at 12:15pm today. Please see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p244129 for results.
Nice work exetel, 1984 here we come :evil:

* Waits for post to be deleted due to questioning chairman rudds supreme filter.

RyanFC
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by RyanFC » Sun May 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I have to say that this trial is terrible.
I have already had several of my programs limited. Ventrillo is often being halted, and its only been since this filter came into affect.

Several of the websites i visit are no longer available to me.

Exetel what gives you the right to restrict my internet? The govt. trial be damned. Unless its law give your users a choice about this filter.

The only choice now is to leave you and go to one of the other ISP's who arent doing this trial and limiting my internet freedom.

Remove this filter or i will cancel my subscription/contract with you for not delivering on the commitment requested when I signed up

terrox
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am
Location: MAYF exchange Hunter Region NSW

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by terrox » Sun May 03, 2009 8:26 pm

RyanFC, you give knee-jerk reactionists a bad name. Trial stopped 4 posts up.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1820
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by Gidget » Sun May 03, 2009 8:41 pm

terrox wrote:RyanFC, you give knee-jerk reactionists a bad name. Trial stopped 4 posts up.
... and 8 hours before RyanFC posted :roll:
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by ronald » Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 pm

So...
do you (as in Exetel) think you're all set for the case that the government filter is introduced via legislation?
Or will there be further testing?

Not sure whether to be happy that it all went without too much trouble - though I don't see this small-scale test as conclusive proof that all will scale up just as flawlessly, there's certainly now a dent in the technical arguments against the filtering. Not that the technical argument would be the most important one, but still...

terrox
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am
Location: MAYF exchange Hunter Region NSW

Re: Content Filtering Trial

Post by terrox » Sun May 03, 2009 9:51 pm

The technical argument isn't the most important reason, but since all the loud whinging by those who used 'precious speed' as the reason - it is now easier for the anyone to approve of the filter "because it works well". :roll: thanks. The filter (if implemented) will probably be slowly expanded to include keywords after the blacklist is easily side-stepped by websites which just change URL/IP every month. or just flat out blocking protocols which are largely proven to harbour illegal material.. such as every P2P network in existence. That'd be worst case, doubt this filter will happen though, too contentious. Not that i'd really care about a filter, probably put a lot of ISPs out of business though, what would people do with all the bandwidth? download Linux ISOs? LOL!.

Locked