New ADSL Plans For July 1st 2009

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
PM

Re: New ADSL Plans For July 1st 2009

Post by PM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 pm

ussenterprise wrote:
brick wrote:I`d like to see the inclusion of (ADSL1) 8mb plans. As stated before lots of users can not get ADSL2 and 1500/256 for many just is not fast enough.
I agree - Some cheaper 8192kbps plans would be great!
Ditto. Although a cost reduction on the 12GB one would be nice.

rav0
Location: Hoxton Park, NSW, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Post by rav0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I don't know whether your example was meant to make this point, but there's no ADSL2+ with rental from another provider :(

msilsby

Post by msilsby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Personally, I love all of the free stuff that you get, but feel that you are giving just a little bit too much away for free.

Maybe the free voip, etc, should only be for a short introductory period?

I am happy to have my free download session reduced. Maybe from 2 am to 11 am or something like this? Sell it off as unlimited download during this time?

Continue the idea that you can choose when your off peak download limit is - this is great. Might get you the ability to spread your 'off peak' across different times. Maybe sell your plans with "10 hours of unlimited off peak download" where you can shift the start time between 11 pm and 2 am?

Give exetel 5 stars.

You guys are great!

soulless

Post by soulless » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:42 am

How about starting up that IPTV trial again... :D

Some free channels, some paid channels...

I'd pay bit more for streaming TVBJ 8)

trev12

Post by trev12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 am

i do not like this free download plan because u are having trouble with bandwidth because of the off peak around midnight to 1 am. Wont it be the same is mot worse most will do there downloading in thaTperiod causing the same prob

pingudownunder

Post by pingudownunder » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 am

Does the "peak" and "off peak" really work given you're experiencing a shift in volumes and high usage times?

I've recently come to Exetel from aaNet, due to recently moving house and that they don't provide ADSL2 in my new exchange. (Although saying that I'm only getting 8192k-ish due to my distance from the exchange, i might as well be on ADSL1 if its cheaper :)) What they did is provide a set amount of GB which you can use anytime (e.g. 120GB for $89, see http://www.aanet.com.au/adsl2_plans.html) ... but to "encourage" those high volume users to schedule off-peak, they only counted half of what you used against your allowance. Also, they only counted the higher of your Upload and Download amount from a billing perspective. It seemed to work well.

Personally I would like to see something like that at Exetel; although I upload a lot (automatic backup of my machine to Mozy); if uplink congestion really is an issue (and let me guess its P2P traffic) then maybe this approach as opposed to unlimited uploads may help deal with that.

I don't use the freebies that come with the Exetel package; if making them an "optional extra" (e.g. for $1 or $2 per month) can help drive down the cost then i'm all for that too.

bmach

Post by bmach » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 pm

It is early days in making any decision but we considering plans along the lines of:

1) A 'free download' period of 3 am to 11 am or no free download period at all
2) No value adds (No Free VoiP, DID, SMS, FAX)
3) Lower monthly plan costs
4) $1.00 per gb excess usage
5) No contract
I'm not sure if this means you're going to change existing plans or offer new plans on top?

I have to say one of the major benefits of Exetel over the other ISPs and the reason I rave about you guys to all of my friends (technical and non-technical) is primarily these three reasons:
  • 1. Well priced
    2. Excellent Download Quotas/speed
    3. Included VoIP Service with lots of untimed local calls included
I think a lot of other Customers would be in the same position as me. I imagine If I didn't have VoIP I wouldn't have a home telephone and my mobile bills will sky rocket.

Rather than looking at offering such black and white plans I would think it would be better to look what are the most popular value adds, package them in the plans, but offer the other less used value adds as additional ads ons for some kind of cost.

But again, maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and all existing plans will remain the same....?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 pm

bmach wrote:I'm not sure if this means you're going to change existing plans or offer new plans on top?
New plans. Existing plans will be retained and unaffected.

lewiscook

Post by lewiscook » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 am

I'd like to see something that would compete with Optus's Fusion $99 plan, which is:

Internet:
20GB download
Home phone
Line rental included
Unlimited standard local calls
Unlimited standard national calls
Unlimited calls to any Australian GSM Mobile

ozblogger

Post by ozblogger » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 am

Good to see, new plans coming soon. Here are my suggestions:-

1) Keep the Free VOIP for the Naked, you may take em out for the rest (SMS,DID etc not really imp.)
2) NAK2A - make it 10GB peak for the same price, or reduce price by $5 (it's entry level plan that you'll attract more customers to)
3) No contract - would be awesome !! (How about $0 Setup for 12 months contract ?)
4) As for the free downloads period , you could try out with a few hours, but I think most are happy with 60GB offpeak.

and here's my question, I plan to join exetel soon once Telstra connects my phone, should I wait for the new plans ?

LordS

Post by LordS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 am

ozblogger wrote: 4) As for the free downloads period , you could try out with a few hours, but I think most are happy with 60GB offpeak.
They mean a brief hour or 3 of uncounted data, or no offpeak at all.

The 60GB off peak isn't even an option.

blytz

Post by blytz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 pm

I am a bit concerned over a free period 3-11am might be a bit of a worry, how much can you download in a 'free' period on a faster plan (adsl2 or 8mbit) I can grab about 8-10 gig in 8 hours (which is 250 gig a month) or 2.5x my current allowance. I can see this creating some interesting bandwidth strangling if this is the case

Or do I read this 'free period' wrong ?

trev12

Post by trev12 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:51 pm

i think the best thing is to get rid of off peak and just have peak allowance

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 pm

trev12 wrote:i think the best thing is to get rid of off peak and just have peak allowance
I would have to agree, Off Peak was a good concept intially but usage trends have changed dramatically and now encourages bottle necks.

It would seem to me that eliminating it would allow people to download when ever they want and hopefully encourage a more natrual spread of usage again. I would be happy if our Peak Quota was doubled to sacrafrice Off Peak.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

sittingduck101

Post by sittingduck101 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 pm

The closer the charges are to your cost structure the closer we should get to the cheapest possible service. It also should encourage efficient usage. In that spirit I think it best to pay for what you use for all the services.