New ADSL Plans For July 1st 2009

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
trev12

Re: New ADSL Plans For July 1st 2009

Post by trev12 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

maybe to have off peak for 2 hours a day with limited download plus pay extra $6 if go over and more peak allowance that way all these people that puts thier download going are going think twice having it on while sleeping as it will cost then more

- aNt -

Post by - aNt - » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:49 am

I'd like to see the following plan:

$15 line rental for PSTN
$60 for 40GB "any time"

No freebies and no offpeak.

Is this something that is possible?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am

- aNt - wrote:I'd like to see the following plan:

$15 line rental for PSTN
$60 for 40GB "any time"

It may be close if you are saying the total cost of the telephone service and the ADSL2 service is $75.00.

The current options being considered are:

All PLUS $30.00 for telephone line rental:

OPA - $20.00 for 6 gb
OPB - $35.00 for 24 gb
OPC - $50.00 for 42 gb

xywolap

Post by xywolap » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 am

brick wrote:I`d like to see the inclusion of (ADSL1) 8mb plans. As stated before lots of users can not get ADSL2 and 1500/256 for many just is not fast enough.
8000 adsl1 connections suffer from the same problem that adsl2 does... loss of sync speed over distance. Depending on their distance they can be only slightly better off. I think the interleaving with 8k also increases your ping rate.
AFAIK 8k connections use the Tel$tra network, not Exetel/Optus, so the chances of lower cost adsl1 8k would be almost impossible.

- aNt -

Post by - aNt - » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
- aNt - wrote:I'd like to see the following plan:

$15 line rental for PSTN
$60 for 40GB "any time"

It may be close if you are saying the total cost of the telephone service and the ADSL2 service is $75.00.

The current options being considered are:

All PLUS $30.00 for telephone line rental:

OPA - $20.00 for 6 gb
OPB - $35.00 for 24 gb
OPC - $50.00 for 42 gb
Thanks, sorry I should have mentioned that would be for Optus ADSL2+.

$80 might be a little too much, I wouldn't want to pay more than I am now (INC2DSLC).

If the "OPC" plan was $45 for 38-40GB it would be a good option :).

Llian

Post by Llian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 1) A 'free download' period of 3 am to 11 am or no free download period at all
2) No value adds (No Free VoiP, DID, SMS, FAX)
3) Lower monthly plan costs
4) $1.00 per gb excess usage
5) No contract
1. I can see bottlenecking occuring here. Nice idea for those who want to download for the sake of downloading. I prefer the off-peak as it is.
2. Couldn't live without the VOIP, DID and SMS. Don't lose them.
3. Always welcome as stated by above. I wouldn't want to pay less if I lost the things I like in 2. however.
4. Not sure what it effectively costs you per gb, but $3 discourages excess downloads without being too big a penalty.
5. 6 months is barely a contract at all.

Some suggestions:
- You already offer free churns, perhaps offer lower startup costs to those who cannot churn or are new to adsl. Leaving contract in place means you should be able to regain this money during the 6 months.
- Wireless backup connection included for when ADSL goes down for some reason with payG costs. Would make your magic-box even more useful.
- We already have movable peak/off-peak time slots, perhaps allow more slots. 10pm-3am start times.

CM2455

Post by CM2455 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Please KEEP the free 100 VOIP calls and free DID. That makes the Exetel deal one of the best around.

I don't mind if there is no off peak time at all.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:23 pm

as one of a family of genetically programmed late night people...........i have to say the 12 mn slow down is becoming a real pain seeing as i will be often surfing after 12mn and so will other family at other places :D .
my speed is literally crawling and even the adverts with voices are not speaking to me in other than looooooooooooooooooooooong drawn out words.
it can be that bad.
last night was an all night low.
right now my speeds are terrific.

i love the plan provisions and ad ons.
there is no need for the huge off peak download here at this house .
some of it is used obviously ......but not much

therefor any change that means that the 12 mn crawl dosnt affect me is to me a real winner.
it has reached a point where the effect at 12 mn is a real negative :(

would it cost more to provide a 24 hour spread for the heavy downloaders ???

i guess i have never understood why all the downloads are started all on the one time seemingly when there is 12 hours in which to spread.
staggering them seems like something that could be done with a few tweeks to what ever one tweeks to download all that stuff ??
i know all this has been discussed and i know that as a single connection, swimming against the tide of heavy downloaders, that i am a minority.
but on those nights when i am online at 12 mn and later..........i can surf only. i cant play youtube, video HD.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm

soaper wrote:as one of a family of genetically programmed late night people...........i have to say the 12 mn slow down is becoming a real pain seeing as i will be often surfing after 12mn and so will other family at other places :D .
my speed is literally crawling and even the adverts with voices are not speaking to me in other than looooooooooooooooooooooong drawn out words.
it can be that bad.
last night was an all night low.
right now my speeds are terrific.

i love the plan provisions and ad ons.
there is no need for the huge off peak download here at this house .
some of it is used obviously ......but not much

therefor any change that means that the 12 mn crawl dosnt affect me is to me a real winner.
it has reached a point where the effect at 12 mn is a real negative :(

would it cost more to provide a 24 hour spread for the heavy downloaders ???

It's odd because the only thing that should slow down precisely at midnight is P2P which is now severely constrained between 12 midnight and 1 am.

However, as a long term user you would know better than me.

We are 3 weeks away from reconfiguring the NSW PoPs to provide a lot more 'pure' IP bandwidth which may make a difference but, looking at the MRTG reports there is no bandwidth problem.

Anyway, if you can, let me know what you see in early July if you get a chance.

i guess i have never understood why all the downloads are started all on the one time seemingly when there is 12 hours in which to spread.
staggering them seems like something that could be done with a few tweeks to what ever one tweeks to download all that stuff ??
i know all this has been discussed and i know that as a single connection, swimming against the tide of heavy downloaders, that i am a minority.
but on those nights when i am online at 12 mn and later..........i can surf only. i cant play youtube, video HD.

psycho.circus

Post by psycho.circus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:30 pm

I don't believe this has been clearly answered here or on Whirlpool, but if it has please forgive me.

Do users on the current plan structure remain on Naked plans? So if I am on contract is the contract going to be honored?

Are the existing plans still going to be available to new subscribers come July 1st?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

The introduction of new plans does not mean that old plans get discontinued. All that happens is that the old plans become closed to new customers. So your contract will be honoured and your service will continue until you elect to cancel it or until Exetel discontinue it in the future.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:27 pm

t's odd because the only thing that should slow down precisely at midnight is P2P which is now severely constrained between 12 midnight and 1 am.

However, as a long term user you would know better than me.

We are 3 weeks away from reconfiguring the NSW PoPs to provide a lot more 'pure' IP bandwidth which may make a difference but, looking at the MRTG reports there is no bandwidth problem.

Anyway, if you can, let me know what you see in early July if you get a chance.
thanks FA :)

i will watch and see what i see in July . my speeds have been such that i have actually checked both before and after 12 mn on a couple of nights in the last few weeks... and the results are consistant in that the post 12mn speeds are slower.
the actual speed varies but whatever they are ....they are slower than pre mid night.

i know slowness has occurred in the past but i dont think i queried it so much......maybe i wasnt surfing so much, maybe the speeds were less slow, maybe i was more likely to switch off and go to sleep.
most probably the main difference is that i would,in the last 4 months , be using more youtube downloads or abciview.... and these are the problamatic things in the immediate post 12mn time

i dont understand any of this... but it is possibly partly exchange related.???
i think mine is host to most of the other providers and their gear.
my speeds at say 4 am are ok on the few occasions i have checked that....not sooooooo fast but ok...not something i would comment on ordinarily.
daytime is usually good to excellent

these are some speeds from the other day

==================

Test run on 01/06/2009 @ 11:49 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 9 MB
Test Time: 26.44 secs

Your line speed is 2.86 Mbps (2859 kbps).
Your download speed is 357 KB/s (0.35 MB/s).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
----------------------------------
Test run on 02/06/2009 @ 12:10 AM

Test Time: 106.81 secs

Your line speed is 708 kbps (0.71 Mbps).
Your download speed is 88 KB/s (0.09 MB/s).

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
----------------------------------
Test run on 02/06/2009 @ 02:27 AM

Test Time: 115.57 secs

Your line speed is 654 kbps (0.65 Mbps).
Your download speed is 82 KB/s (0.08 MB/s).

=======================================================

anyway........over all u have the best deal going.... even tho i dont use the off peak.........so congrats on having an active eye and ear out for ideas and innovation

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Soaper, what i find impossible to understand is that the peak spike at 12 midnight only lasts between 15 and 18 minutes and you, and others, appear to be saying that it last for "hours"...which if you look at the MRTG reports simply isn't the case on the bits of the network we control (all but the backhaul from the exchange).

So at, say 12.30 am for instance, if you were using P2P there would still be Exetel constraints but for anything else there is an excess of almost one gbps of bandwidth.

So........let me know what happens in early July.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:28 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Soaper, what i find impossible to understand is that the peak spike at 12 midnight only lasts between 15 and 18 minutes and you, and others, appear to be saying that it last for "hours"...which if you look at the MRTG reports simply isn't the case on the bits of the network we control (all but the backhaul from the exchange).

So at, say 12.30 am for instance, if you were using P2P there would still be Exetel constraints but for anything else there is an excess of almost one gbps of bandwidth.

So........let me know what happens in early July.
ok
will do

that night quoted above is the only one i have where i have checked speed at any time after about 12.30 am (ie the 2.30 am speed listed) and still have any record.

i dont understand the reports :oops:
i just know what speed i get if i test.. or what i have difficulty in downloading.

there is certainly a spike of slowness (is that an oxymoron?)
i dont know how long it lasts because i normally wouldnt test and i would usually quit trying to do other than surf once that barrier is hit .

thanks

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:10 am

lewiscook wrote:I'd like to see something that would compete with Optus's Fusion $99 plan, which is:

Internet:
20GB download
Home phone
Line rental included
Unlimited standard local calls
Unlimited standard national calls
Unlimited calls to any Australian GSM Mobile
Do you really want $150/Gb excess charges ...?