Change To Usage Measurement Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Change To Usage Measurement Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:19 am

One of the most common suggestions made by Exetel customers who don’t live in Victoria and NSW has been to move away from using Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Summer Time for calculating peak and off peak download usage.

This is to advise you that from 1 minute past midnight on Wednesday July 1st Exetel will use the local time in each State and Territory to calculate customer downloads. The times used will continue to take in to consideration any move to and from daylight saving times as they currently exist in each different location or that may exist in the future.

Please make sure you adapt any of your current pre-set down load monitors to take this change in to consideration.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Re: Change To Usage Measurement Times

Post by raymond » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:15 am

The service time zone is determined by the ADSL telephone number prefix. The rule is as below:

Eastern
Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 10 hours (UTC +10).

AEST is applied in these regions:

New South Wales (except Broken Hill) --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 02 (except 0261/0262)
Victoria --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 03 (except 036)
Queensland --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 07
Tasmania --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 036
Australian Capital Territory --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0261/0262

Central
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9.5 hours (UTC +9 ∏).

ACST is followed in these regions:

South Australia --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 08 (except 0889/0880/086/089)
Northern Territory --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0889
Broken Hill, NSW --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0880

Western

Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 8 hours (UTC +8).

AWST is followed in these regions:

Western Australia --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 086/089

Nikon

Post by Nikon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Ahh good good this might even out some of the load.

jubadub

Post by jubadub » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:14 pm

One of the most common suggestions made by Exetel customers who don’t live in Victoria and NSW ...
What sort of idiot would make such a suggestion!!!

Reminds me of the Irishman who was sentenced to death by guillotine, but while he was on the block the blade kept getting jammed half way down. Just before the third and last legal try, he turned his head to look up at the blade and said "Hey I see your problem - there is a screw loose half way up that jams the blade in the groove!"

As far as I was concerned, being in Western Australia, the fact that Exetel went by Easter Standard time was one major benefit they offered over all of the other ISPs. Especially when the Eastern states are on daylight saving time then it means that our off-peak starts at 9pm - which is a very respectable time of an evening to do some heavy browsing and you-tube watching. For people in WA this meant that a good percentage of an evenings browsing could be done on Exetel's almost unlimited off-peak instead of consuming precious peak quota.

Also I have always made a big song and dance about this outstanding advantage to the many people that I have recommended to switch to Exetel. Now it is gone - and presumably at the suggestion of people for whom it was most beneficial!

This is a really sad day for Exetel subscribers in WA. Thanks for nothing, whoever you idiots are that made the suggestion. Maybe you can make some other suggestions (that won't affect other people so much) but just win a Darwin award for yourself like the Irishman!

btm

Post by btm » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 pm

[..being in Western Australia, the fact that Exetel went by Easter Standard time was one major benefit they offered over all of the other ISPs. [/quote]

i STRONGLY support that, being also from perth.

btm

Post by btm » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:15 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:One of the most common suggestions made by Exetel customers who don’t live in Victoria and NSW has been to move away from using Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Summer Time for calculating peak and off peak download usage.
i would be interested in knowing how many non-east coasters actually suggested that? like jubadup, i quite like the current setup -- off peak usage from 22:00 awst. please consider NOT changing it!

thewiz

Post by thewiz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 pm

I also think that having the peak period from 10pm-10am in line with the eastern states is much better so any major downloads can be started at a reasonable time of night.
Also having it finish at 10am is better than noon, because any downloads don't interfere too much with normal web browsing etc. the rest of my family do during the morning.

Is there still going to be the option to choose when your peak/offpeak period is like you already have?

As jubadub said, being in line with the eastern states was one great benefit Exetel had over other ISPs.

bcmalloy

Post by bcmalloy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:33 pm

I thought we just all decided to leave things as they were?
12 am is way too late, I like to watch video at around 10pm this new setup is not my preferred option

Let me guess some noisy forum regulars in Perth decided they want this, well good for them I don't and I'm sick of a minority of sad gits getting their way

monarols

Post by monarols » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:28 pm

btm wrote:[..being in Western Australia, the fact that Exetel went by Easter Standard time was one major benefit they offered over all of the other ISPs.
i STRONGLY support that, being also from perth.[/quote]

Yes, add me to the Perth voice. This is NOT a good idea. I had no trouble calculating the time difference.

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm

bcmalloy wrote:I thought we just all decided to leave things as they were?
12 am is way too late, I like to watch video at around 10pm this new setup is not my preferred option

Let me guess some noisy forum regulars in Perth decided they want this, well good for them I don't and I'm sick of a minority of sad gits getting their way
Poor you!! So you would rather let other users suffer from poor speeds and congestion just so you can watch your videos on offpeak quota at your preferred time?

Even so, I don't understand how you would be getting offpeak at 10pm when that is not a time that exetel offers.

MeOnMine

Post by MeOnMine » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Excuse me Exetel; did you not just recently put forward to your users the idea that we would all have the ability to dial in our own off peak start time?
Was this to spread the load on your bandwidth as the system was sagging under the load?

So why do you bring WA into alignment?
To compound the very problem you just fixed?

The Off peak issue you asked your users for their opinion and you aired this on your forum.
10 out of 10 for a true business approach. I commended you Exetel for this transparent approach to solving a problem that you had by including input from us.

So, what happened?
Now we are just told the outcome!

Looks like the sharp edge of Exetel, has just become a little rounded.

I can’t wait to see what that VK guy has to say! What time does he get home.

ToeJam

Post by ToeJam » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 pm

I agree, stupid idea.... just leave it as it is

austdata

Post by austdata » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 pm

I wonder why all the WA based posts are appearing now? There was ample opportunity to comment earlier when the point was first made. Indeed, if I remember correctly most of the WA based posters wanted off-peak to start at midnight or later their time.

It seems you can never win! :roll:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

MeOnMine

Post by MeOnMine » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 pm

austdata wrote:I wonder why all the WA based posts are appearing now? There was ample opportunity to comment earlier when the point was first made. Indeed, if I remember correctly most of the WA based posters wanted off-peak to start at midnight or later their time.

It seems you can never win! :roll:

Sorry Austdata, but I was only advised this morning via email.
Sorry again, I was told the "outcome" via email this morning.

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 pm

thewiz wrote:I also think that having the peak period from 10pm-10am in line with the eastern states is much better so any major downloads can be started at a reasonable time of night.
Also having it finish at 10am is better than noon, because any downloads don't interfere too much with normal web browsing etc. the rest of my family do during the morning.

Is there still going to be the option to choose when your peak/offpeak period is like you already have?

As jubadub said, being in line with the eastern states was one great benefit Exetel had over other ISPs.
I too agree that the current setup was fine for me in Perth and would prefer it stay.