Change To Usage Measurement Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
tr3nton

Re: Change To Usage Measurement Times

Post by tr3nton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 pm

So if you get to start at 9pm why shouldn't the rest of Australia? .. this way, everyone is equal
hi

jubadub

Post by jubadub » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm

austdata wrote:I wonder why all the WA based posts are appearing now? There was ample opportunity to comment earlier when the point was first made ...
Maybe if one spent all ones time keeping up with the forum postings and blogs then there might have been an opportunity to comment. But the first I heard of it was an "Exetel Notification" this morning and it is already a done deal and due to start in about a days time. Is that what you call "ample opportunity"!
austdata wrote:Indeed, if I remember correctly most of the WA based posters wanted off-peak to start at midnight or later their time.
If you were given the choice of almost unlimited quota starting at say 9pm in your evening or having to wait until midnight, which would you choose?!!!

Why would any normal person in their right mind choose midnight instead of 9pm?

Maybe the choice they were offered was the standard one of starting at midnight (AEST) or 1am(AEST) or 2am(AEST), then of course they would choose midnight (because that is actually 9pm or 10pm WST)!
austdata wrote:It seems you can never win! :roll:
Maybe you can point to some discussion where "most of the WA based posters wanted off-peak to start at midnight or later their time?

Remember it is Exetel in NSW that has the peak problem before Midnight not WA. The fact that WA usage does not peak until 2 or 3 hours later and so fits in somewhat with an off-peak time in NSW should be an advantage and its convenient usage encouraged. It should not be penalized as if there really was some similar peak to be avoided in the West when there isn't.

jubadub

Post by jubadub » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:08 pm

tr3nton wrote:So if you get to start at 9pm why shouldn't the rest of Australia? .. this way, everyone is equal
What sort of crazy logic is that!

If I work shift work and so get to drive into the city at 2am when there is no other traffic, then you would argue that the traffic lights or should be slowed down so that it takes me just as long to get to work as if I was driving in at peak hour?!!! - So that everyone is equal!

The only reason for the peak time regulation is because so many people in the eastern states are trying to use the network at the same time.

If people in the West come along several hours later wanting to use the network after most people in the East have gone to bed, why should they be penalized as if they were trying to use it at a peak time when they are not!

TheStig

Post by TheStig » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi - from WA and happy to keep it the way it was and NO change in line with rest of AUS

Cheers
Ian

jookieapc

Post by jookieapc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm from WA as well and I can't see any benefit for WA people in changing it. Last time I noticed this topic being mentioned all you said was that this change in peak time was going to be optional.

spierreyoung

Post by spierreyoung » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am

Please do not change the way it is working now, i am sure people using Extel in WA enjoy starting the off peak period at 9pm or 10pm. you will lose people in WA. please reconsider your move

bitflipped

Post by bitflipped » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am

Another Perth user putting my 2c in. It's a convenience thing, like the others have mentioned. 10pm is early enough to watch a few youtube vids, download some iTunes content, without having to struggle to get up the next day for work. Please reconsider Exetel

toast

Post by toast » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 am

Hi,

Yet another Perth person, I really did enjoy the 10pm off-peak start :)

Though the more I think about it, the more it doesn't matter. So my downloads start 2 hours later. It encourges me to go to bed instead of waiting a little longer for a download to finish.

The benefit is I have until midday on weekends to enjoy the off-peak downloads, the loss is I have to wait until midnight during the week...

I just wonder how many wa/nt/sa people wanted this compared to the seemingly large proportion on this thread who don't want it.

Anyway, still the best ISP in Australia so this is hardly a deal-breaker.

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am

toast wrote:Anyway, still the best ISP in Australia so this is hardly a deal-breaker.
Still second that comment

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 am

jubadub wrote:Remember it is Exetel in NSW that has the peak problem before Midnight not WA. The fact that WA usage does not peak until 2 or 3 hours later and so fits in somewhat with an off-peak time in NSW should be an advantage and its convenient usage encouraged. It should not be penalized as if there really was some similar peak to be avoided in the West when there isn't.
It is irrelevant what happens in ANY State compared to ANY other State.

Each State has its own ingress/egress and its own direct IP feed so some, theoretical, problem with bandwidth usage in any State has no effect on any other State.

tr3nton

Post by tr3nton » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 am

raymond wrote:The service time zone is determined by the ADSL telephone number prefix. The rule is as below:

*snip*

Central
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9.5 hours (UTC +9 ∏).

ACST is followed in these regions:

South Australia --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 08 (except 0889/0880/086/089)
Northern Territory --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0889
Broken Hill, NSW --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0880
So, for NT which doesn't follow Daylight savings, does this mean we follow SA time? (1 hour difference in daylight savings)
hi

pravp

Post by pravp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 am

One more supporter here from WA to NOT change the times, I too only just found out this morning about this change and didnt even have a chance to comment on the original discussion :roll:

Please DO NOT CHANGE the timing, I love the 10pm start to off peak here in WA!!!!!!

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 pm

tr3nton wrote:
raymond wrote:The service time zone is determined by the ADSL telephone number prefix. The rule is as below:

*snip*

Central
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9.5 hours (UTC +9 ∏).

ACST is followed in these regions:

South Australia --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 08 (except 0889/0880/086/089)
Northern Territory --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0889
Broken Hill, NSW --- Determined by telephone number prefix: 0880
So, for NT which doesn't follow Daylight savings, does this mean we follow SA time? (1 hour difference in daylight savings)
Regarding daylight saving, please refer to below:

Daylight Saving

Daylight Saving Time is observed in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory and has been synchronised across these states. Western Australia began a three year trial of daylight saving on 3 December 2006. Queensland and the Northern Territory do not observe daylight saving.

Where daylight saving is being observed:
AEST becomes Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +11.
ACST becomes Australian Central Daylight Time (ACDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +10 ½.
AWST becomes Australian Western Daylight Time (AWDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +9.

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 pm

raymond wrote: AWST becomes Australian Western Daylight Time (AWDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +9.
This won't happen referendum was a NO vote majority (Bugger)

Lik

Post by Lik » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Leave it as it is. It works well!!
May be I am wrong, but as the off peak starts, you can see the net slowing down. So when eastern states start downloading, I guess it will affect us in WA. So we will have speed of off peak in peak period. But I might be wrong and the bandwidth is separated for each state.