Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
MikeMil
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by MikeMil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:50 pm

humanity wrote:
So if the problem is the network speeds dropping at midnight, why not force everyone to change to 2am-2pm. (as stated before) I'd be ok with that.
I believe what most of the customers have a problem with is the reduction of the off-peak from 12 hours to 10 hours.
Could not agree more with this statement. Look at most of the posts in this thread. The ones that are negative are almost ALL about the reduction of hours. Yes there are a few that still want the 12am start, but most are annoyed about the 12-10hr off-peak change. Including me.

Most of the responses from the people in charge here are aimed at the few with the problem of change in start time as well. There have been a few vague responses to why its not 2pm instead of 12noon, but nothing specific.

If the main reason for this change is the slowdown at midnight, then why the reduction of off-peak hours?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:51 pm

humanity wrote:So if the problem is the network speeds dropping at midnight, why not force everyone to change to 2am-2pm. (as stated before) I'd be ok with that.
It is difficult to see the reason for why this was not the chosen option.

It may possibly gleaned from the bandwidth graphs at http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... mmary.html. Midnight to 6am shows a natural declining pattern, very typical of download scheduling that finish randomly in between 1 to 6 hours. 9am to midday show a bit of a plateau of bandwidth that might suggest manual continuation of downloads. So a straight shift forward in 2 hours to 2am - 2pm) will retain the same early morning automated download pattern but possible extend the manual continuation of downloads into the afternoon and therefore might lead to an undesirable increase in off-peak usage.

So, after some analysis, perhaps Exetel determined that shifting to 2am-midday retains roughly the same level of aggregate off-peak downloads.

humanity
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Dandenong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:52 pm

James wrote:
humanity wrote:
James wrote:If you are so unhappy with Exetel why stay? Just move to another provider to meet your requirements.
Is that the official line of Exetel? I'll be staying because even with the reduced off-peak it's still better value than anything else the last 5 mins of whirlpool.net searching has found. As an expert in the field of ISPs, which would you recommend James?

I complain because it is a responsibility as the customer to let the supplier know when they are not satisfied, the fact that the alternatives are worse does not alleviate the problem.
It's my personal view, but if you look at our off peak offering over the last five years it offers better value year on year.
I'll forgive you for not answering my questions as they were rather rhetorical. I believe you when you make the claim about your off-peak offerings improving, you managed to tempt me over earlier this year. Still doesn't resolve the problem that they are going to be worse than when I signed up.

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:00 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Yoshi667,
By the sound of it, you have a large number of internet users and a very large requirement for bandwidth. I realise that you may be on the highest peak plan already but you surely realise that Exetel is not a charity. It may be that simply the highest usage ADSL1 plan of 30GB peak downloads is insufficient for your needs. But I don't think this extends you liberty to say "I deserve a full 12 hours of off-peak entitlements". (I take it ADSL2+ is not available for you? It would go a long way to alleviate your concerns and provide you higher quota entitlements)

I'm sorry that your service and experience with Exetel staff has been less than desireable, but again, this is independent of the recent off-peak decision (and I think it is rather atypical as I can cite many instances where Exetel staff and services have been highly praised)
Yoshi667 wrote:I guess what I really want to know is do I need to stop telling everyone who asks that Exetel has the best rates, the best service but most of all the best download limits and times that I know of and start looking somewhere else?
I am in the same position as you. I take my recommendation of goods and services to other people when they ask me very seriously. And I will still be recommending Exetel to others. In fact, more so now that the off-peak has been reduced as I think the average new and existing user experience will be better off because of it.

My shield of logic absorbs said 3000dmg, emitting a sizzling sound not unlike bacon on the Double Cheeseburger Deluxe that Redolent has got me hankering for...
NOOOO not my wall of text, is this what happens when the Unstoppable Force meets the Immovable Object?
I do have a very large number of internet users, and Exetel so far has helped me to keep my downloads enough that I would not get slowed to 56kb/s with 3 people on the net at once *shudder*. For that I am truly grateful. But this is going to see me either hitting my cap which I have never done before due to my download Nazi-ism or having to be harsher on the people that live in my house which I dunno if I could be to be honest.
No unfortunately ADSL2+ is not available to me, yet it is about 5 minutes from here and then again in a bigger town about 20mins down the road, it would have been if the Rudd government hadn't of pulled the infrastructure funding, which would have also made it cheaper for me to have ADSL2+ at the same downloads limit for a faster speed, but that's not the problem.
All I am wanting is to be able to stay under my cap, so far the way that I have been doing that is fine, 12hrs offpeak and 12hrs peak, I can work around the rest. I'm just trying to come to a logical compromise.

After all this is done I will have to make a decision about recommending Exetel, hopefully they do make the right decision by their customers that way I can feel good about all the recommendations I have made to people and keep recommending them more.
soaper wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:.

soooooooo
7am is still off peak
why dont u turn on whatever it is u turn on to download whatever, when u get up

?????????????????

and teach the people in your house responsibility in usage amount, if that is an issue

around my place if anyone younger than me usesd up the download.......gets added to the rent.
Simply because I am not the type of person that likes to leave my computer running while I am at work wasting electricity while it is sitting there doing barely anything but downloading a file, do that a few times and the electricity bill goes up, may seem like a little, but when you realise that others in the house possibly have theirs on too it comes to a bit, add to that the possibility of a lightning strike while I am at work and nobody is home (trust me it happens), then add that onto the fact that if the times get changed I could possibly get maybe five hours of downloads out of it before it goes into peak, which may or may not be the size of the game or file I am trying to download because of...congestion, stopping and starting, queuing and failing, due to everybody waking up at 7am and starting their downloads.
Do you know how hard it is to teach teenagers and non-computer-literate people about responsibility of the downloads? Ever heard this? "Streaming isn't downloading" or "I didn't know how much we were up to"
I'm happy for you that your plan works, I only wish it worked for me too.

Oh and to the person who asked why I stayed instead of finding a new ISP. It's because even though I went through all that, and still have all PPP Authentication issues, Exetel is still better than Telstra (so far), and when I signed up, their plans met my needs, at a good price, I was hoping to eventually get ADSL2+ which would hopefully alleviate some of the problems, i.e: dropout issues, speed issues, amount of downloads etc, and Exetel will still more than likely be better than Telstra (I know there is more companies but I don't know anybody that uses anything but these two). Plus I still have a contract.
And seriously man, you sound like a fanboi, guess you are probably one of the ones that changed to the 2am to 2pm right? If not than why would you not be slightly annoyed?

Some1onearth
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Somewhere on earth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Some1onearth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:01 am

James wrote:
Some1onearth wrote:
James wrote: Exetel still offers the best off peak period of any ISP in Australia.
Sigh, this is true. I just wish I could keep my 12 hour off-peak period. I now feel like I've lost a very good thing.

Thanks to this I will now be paying more attention whenever those emails are sent to me and will visit these bright forums a bit more often though I seriously find it too boring to sift through small internet issues.
You still have a good thing, a 10 hour peak time with 60 gigabytes is fantastic.
Oh, I don't think of it as a bad thing, just that it's been lowered. Now it's only a good thing, not VERY good. =P
MikeMil wrote: Could not agree more with this statement. Look at most of the posts in this thread. The ones that are negative are almost ALL about the reduction of hours. Yes there are a few that still want the 12am start, but most are annoyed about the 12-10hr off-peak change. Including me.
Including me too. That was my main issue from the start. I would not have had any issue had the 12 hours remained.

humanity
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Dandenong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:10 am

Yoshi667 wrote:Plus I still have a contract.
You can get out of it under clause 3.2 (a) iii.

MikeMil
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by MikeMil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:21 am

Some1onearth wrote:
MikeMil wrote: Could not agree more with this statement. Look at most of the posts in this thread. The ones that are negative are almost ALL about the reduction of hours. Yes there are a few that still want the 12am start, but most are annoyed about the 12-10hr off-peak change. Including me.
Including me too. That was my main issue from the start. I would not have had any issue had the 12 hours remained.
Neither would the majority of people here who are otherwise upset

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:39 am

Yoshi667 wrote:Customer: Hi my names John Doe and I have a problem with my internet
Exetel: Problem? No problem here, must be with your equipment.
Customer: No but seriously I think there is a problem with my internet
Exetel: Well if you don't like it piss off to another ISP.
Customer: :o :|
No. It is more like:
Customer: Hi my names John Doe and I would like Exetel to offer me different terms and conditions
Exetel: Sorry, your entitlements are outlined in your current terms and conditions
Customer: No but seriously I want something different
Exetel: If you want something different, you will have to look elsewhere

nicks81
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by nicks81 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:44 am

vk3xem wrote:
nicks81 wrote:So now my off-peak period starts at 4am EST, and only lasts for 8 hours I have even less chance of using it.
What drugs are you on? Your off-peak will start at 0200 local time and finish at 1200 local time, that is 10 hours. Your argument is just like the woman who rang up a radio station many years ago to complain that daylight savings gave her an extra hour of sunlight and it was fading her curtains!!!
No, I got one number wrong

The 'woman who rang up a radio station' is an urban myth. And if daylight hours had actually been reduced by 2 hours like the off-peak period has been, she would have had a valid point

soaper
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by soaper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 am

Yoshi667 wrote:[
Do you know how hard it is to teach teenagers and non-computer-literate people about responsibility of the downloads? Ever heard this? "Streaming isn't downloading" or "I didn't know how much we were up to"
I'm happy for you that your plan works, I only wish it worked for me too
serioiusly
this is internet
not life support :D
sometimes people dont get what they want in life.
it is a cold reality.
it took me one monthly account from one nameless ISP run by a crafty shark person..... who knew i knew nothing about the internet 11 years ago........... for me to know that there was a limit to what i was prepared to spend /could spend.
i got smart really quickly
i communicated the options to my descendant clearly .
we both learned what to do so as to not go above what we could afford.... and we learned to make choices

that was dial up with some paltry amount of download.

i have had my computer zapped once.
it is still left on all day as i am in and out and i use it.
i made a decision that i would rather the computer on than teh excessive heating of houses i see all around.
so i still see myself as a pale shade of green

we have to make priorities i guess and live with what we can.
it is not an easy learning curve but i think we all have to learn it and the younger the better when resources are limited.

you are now in the same place as many of us have been with regards to our needs and the 12 mn slowdown.
dissatisfied.
looking for answers.

i hope u find what u are looking for

greenmynci
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by greenmynci » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:59 am

Have to say i dont really mind the off-peak time reduction to 10 hours from 12 , but the fact the people who moved their off peak time zone to 2 - 2 get to keep their 12 hour period kinda sucks. Should be one rule for all, no?
Last edited by greenmynci on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeMil
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by MikeMil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:02 am

greenmynci wrote: the fact the people who moved their off peak time zone to 2 - 2 get to keep their 12 hour period kinda sucks. Should be one rule for all, no?
Exactly, most people would have changed if they knew it would have benefited everyone else, but most of us had no idea it would.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:04 am

There's not supposed to be compromise.
Exetel need to choose their market offering, and offer it. It costs a lot of time and money to match each and everyone's needs. Not everyone will be pleased with every decision, some decisions have bigger impacts than others. In my opinion, the 2 hour shift is a relatively low change by comparison to others in the market, and reflects the inevitable - users were going to have to change to 2am one way or another.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by vk3xem » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:11 am

MikeMil wrote:Exactly, most people would have changed if they knew it would have benefited everyone else, but most of us had no idea it would.
YAWN! Most people didn't change simply because they believed it would not benifit themselves!

I didn't bother to change as it made no difference to me and the amount I download makes no difference to others. The change to 10 hours of off-peak makes no difference to me either. My main use of Internet is browsing and VoIP which are time critical, where as P2P porn, warez and music downloads is not and can easily be scheduled not to interfere with other users.

It wouldn't even bother me if off-peak was scrubbed altogether with slightly increased peak quota if it would solve the problem, hopefully that won't be need though.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

willhoy1
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: stanthorpe, qld

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:24 am

FOR THE PEEVED INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE CURSING OVER:

Ok, the reason that the 12am 12pm & 2am to 2pm & 1am to 1pm option(s) was chosen by Exetel to begin with, is because it was decided in a forum with the last email announced forum invitation, by members, JUST LIKE YOURSELVES, if you did not bother to have your say then, then why bother having your say now? (Excluding those that were unable to for reasons known only to them) Migrating the problem to 2am, WILL/would more than likely result in the same problems 2 hours later, which was not so much of an issue due to having less users online at this time. We (The Customers) were therefor given a choice of times in order to;

A. To TRY and weed out the midnight abusers.
B. To TRY and reduce the overall peak usage at midnight so we could all get decent internet at this time.
C. to TRY and thin out the number of concurrent downloads from normal users.

Some of us opted to change our offpeak to try and make things better for the rest, some of you NONE of this even applies to or were happy with the midnight to midday times as they suited you best.
For those that could not be bothered reading forums or participating in the initial topic preceding this one, why bother complaining here? Those of you who excessively abuse the system by downloading your massive hauls come off-peak because your too stingy to use your on-peak times, ever heard of upgrading your plan? YOUR THE PROBLEM. (I am NOT including the average home user in this statement or genuine users who don't abuse it Every Night)
Sure, download, we all do it, just don't abuse it.

Unfortunately it is TOO LATE, it has taken it's toll. The changes are being implemented. Get over it.
Last edited by willhoy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

Locked