Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
humanity

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:26 am

willhoy1 wrote:FOR THE PEEVED INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE CURSING OVER:

Ok, the reason that the 12am 12pm & 2am to 2pm & 1am to 1pm option(s) was chosen by Exetel to begin with, is because it was decided in a forum with the last email announced forum invitation, by members, JUST LIKE YOURSELVES, if you did not bother to have your say then, then why bother having your say now? (Excluding those that were unable to for reasons known only to them) Migrating the problem to 2am, WILL/would more than likely result in the same problems 2 hours later, which was not so much of an issue due to having less users online at this time. We (The Customers) were therefor given a choice of times in order to;

A. To TRY and weed out the midnight abusers.
B. To TRY and reduce the overall peak usage at midnight so we could all get decent internet at this time.
C. to TRY and thin out the number of concurrent downloads from normal users.

Some of us opted to change our offpeak to try and make things better for the rest, some of you NONE of this even applies to or were happy with the midnight to midday times as they suited you best.
For those that could not be bothered reading forums or participating in the initial topic preceding this one, those of you who excessively abuse the system by downloading your massive hauls come off-peak because your too stingy to use your on-peak times, ever heard of upgrading your plan? YOUR THE PROBLEM. (I am NOT including the average home user in this statement or genuine users who don't abuse it Every Night)
Sure, download, we all do it, just don't abuse it.

Unfortunately it is TOO LATE, it has taken it's toll. The changes are being implemented. Get over it.
Umm, you do know that what we're getting is not 2am - 2pm?

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 am

humanity wrote:
willhoy1 wrote:FOR THE PEEVED INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE CURSING OVER:

Ok, the reason that the 12am 12pm & 2am to 2pm & 1am to 1pm option(s) was chosen by Exetel to begin with, is because it was decided in a forum with the last email announced forum invitation, by members, JUST LIKE YOURSELVES, if you did not bother to have your say then, then why bother having your say now? (Excluding those that were unable to for reasons known only to them) Migrating the problem to 2am, WILL/would more than likely result in the same problems 2 hours later, which was not so much of an issue due to having less users online at this time. We (The Customers) were therefor given a choice of times in order to;

B. To TRY and reduce the overall peak usage at midnight so we could all get decent internet at this time.

Some of us opted to change our offpeak to try and make things better for the rest, some of you NONE of this even applies to or were happy with the midnight to midday times as they suited you best.
For those that could not be bothered reading forums or participating in the initial topic preceding this one, those of you who excessively abuse the system by downloading your massive hauls come off-peak because your too stingy to use your on-peak times, ever heard of upgrading your plan? YOUR THE PROBLEM. (I am NOT including the average home user in this statement or genuine users who don't abuse it Every Night)

Unfortunately it is TOO LATE, it has taken it's toll. The changes are being implemented. Get over it.

Yes, i am well aware, whats the problem? It is only 2 hours. We had the option to change it (WE HAD THE OPTION) but not enough took it, simple.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

humanity

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 am

willhoy1 wrote:
humanity wrote:

Yes, i am well aware, whats the problem? It is only 2 hours. We had the option to change it (WE HAD THE OPTION) but not enough took it, simple.
The option to change our time to 2am-2pm? I didn't know it was wanted, only an option. I don't usually have time to go through forums and all that. It's not just 2 hours, its about 62hrs per month, not to mention increased usage on each persons on-peak account because they are now 2 hours longer

Godde

Post by Godde » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 am

I would really like to know if the people who's complaining about the change are all on the lower quota plans. I mean, if the change would push your peak download over the quota, you should really try to make an extra $10 a month and pay for the upgrade instead of spending time complaining about it here.
Last edited by Godde on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 am

humanity wrote:
willhoy1 wrote:
humanity wrote:

The option to change our time to 2am-2pm? I didn't know it was wanted, only an option. I don't usually have time to go through forums and all that. It's not just 2 hours, its about 62hrs per month, not to mention increased usage on each persons on-peak account because they are now 2 hours longer

I understand you plight, however, EVERY member was offered with an email invitation (just as they were with this topic) to discuss ideas on fixing this problem (the midnight slowdown). I think Exetel did make a BOO in not notifying all members that the option was available after the decision was made to invoke the choices for offpeak, or if they did, then i never received that email either... and i meticulously read all of my personal emails being administrator of a conglomerate website (with exception of crap).

As for the 62 hours a month extra that exetel giveth, and then taketh away, well it is well within their rights to do so. I would personally gladly sacrifice the 62 hours off-peak to allow smoother surfing at midnight. Though it will be seen as a steep consequence by many current patrons of exetels service, it has become necessary for the majority.... Weigh it up... Midnight slowdown or permanently change to 2am? I does not affect everyone, but wouldn't it be nice to refer someone, knowing they would have an equal quality of service as you do?
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:51 am

JasonM wrote:
humanity wrote: The option to change our time to 2am-2pm? I didn't know it was wanted, only an option. I don't usually have time to go through forums and all that. It's not just 2 hours, its about 62hrs per month, not to mention increased usage on each persons on-peak account because they are now 2 hours longer
I get the idea now, I know what plan you are on.
It's amazing how many people expect the world for next to nothing.

Truly amazing huh! Gotta love tenacity.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:53 am

humanity wrote:The option to change our time to 2am-2pm? I didn't know it was wanted, only an option. I don't usually have time to go through forums and all that. It's not just 2 hours, its about 62hrs per month, not to mention increased usage on each persons on-peak account because they are now 2 hours longer
The whole problem is greedy, ignorant P2P leeches ALL starting their downloads the second off-peak starts. If you all weren't so greedy and considered the impact by starting your downloads at the same time this would not have been needed.

Get over it humanity, you ripped yourself off by leeching. Wake up to yourself and stop crying over what is your own fault.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:15 am

Yoshi667 wrote:Can't believe I am the only one that is standing up and making a fuss, I may be only one man, but Jesus was only one man too right?!
Jesus didn't cry and complain like you, instead he died for you and sins you are committing and for you crying and complaining. Don't compare yourself to him, you don't even come close!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:18 am

Yoshi667 wrote:So is it a case of "Because I said so"?
Nothing has changed because not enough people changed over?
But now you are forcing everybody to change over (which would alleviate the 12am download peak that you are trying to flog) you take two hours off as well?
Isn't that rubbing salt in the wounds a bit?
Is the satisfaction of customers not very high on Exetel's list?
These are all serious questions.
Before people try to reply with "People are satisfied" take a look at what people have actually said, very few if any have said they are happy with the two hour cut, most are happy with the shift to the 2am and some are not bothered by it at all but that doesn't mean they are happy with it.

So can just I have 2am-2pm please, it wouldn't be any different to give me two extra hours than the other people you gave two extra hours to right?

Can't believe I am the only one that is standing up and making a fuss, I may be only one man, but Jesus was only one man too right?!
Apparently this was never up for discussion, and nor should it be, there was a time and place, but it did not function due to not being backed by a majority. Though i do believe (and will agree with you) those that changed over early should not get special preference, even though i am one of them.

Godde

Post by Godde » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 am

vk3xem wrote:
humanity wrote:The option to change our time to 2am-2pm? I didn't know it was wanted, only an option. I don't usually have time to go through forums and all that. It's not just 2 hours, its about 62hrs per month, not to mention increased usage on each persons on-peak account because they are now 2 hours longer
The whole problem is greedy, ignorant P2P leeches ALL starting their downloads the second off-peak starts. If you all weren't so greedy and considered the impact by starting your downloads at the same time this would not have been needed.

Get over it humanity, you ripped yourself off by leeching. Wake up to yourself and stop crying over what is your own fault.
I've been with Exetel for a long time and I've always scheduled my download to start whenever the off peak starts. I am sure a lot of people do that too because we were entitled to do so as a customer. It's not because people are inconsiderate or greedy but we simply don't use internet much during off peak hours most of the time (that's why it's termed off peak).

But you are right, get over it guys. Annoying the crap out of the admins will not get you anything beneficial.
Last edited by Godde on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

humanity

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 am

willhoy1 wrote:
humanity wrote:
willhoy1 wrote:

I understand you plight, however, EVERY member was offered with an email invitation (just as they were with this topic) to discuss ideas on fixing this problem (the midnight slowdown). I think Exetel did make a BOO in not notifying all members that the option was available after the decision was made to invoke the choices for offpeak, or if they did, then i never received that email either... and i meticulously read all of my personal emails being administrator of a conglomerate website (with exception of crap).

As for the 62 hours a month extra that exetel giveth, and then taketh away, well it is well within their rights to do so. I would personally gladly sacrifice the 62 hours off-peak to allow smoother surfing at midnight. Though it will be seen as a steep consequence by many current patrons of exetels service, it has become necessary for the majority.... Weigh it up... Midnight slowdown or permanently change to 2am? I does not affect everyone, but wouldn't it be nice to refer someone, knowing they would have an equal quality of service as you do?
If they change this, what's to say they wont cut it back further later. The inequality that those people who switched are now treated differently to those that didn't is also an issue. All I'm after is my 12 hours of peak and 12 hours of off peak, I don't care if its 12-12, 1-1 or even bloody 5am to 5pm. I consider the change in times a compromise. I do not like companies taking things from me. I did all I could to help out the midnight problem, but exetel didn't want to tell me anything. I normally don't have time for forums so what I was I supposed to do?

From the Email:
Possible Change To Off Peak Period
One of the suggestions received has been to change the off peak period:
to: 2 am to 2 pm
All times are Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Summer Time when that applies.
We would be interested in your thoughts

I was fine with either of those.

humanity

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:36 am

vk3xem wrote:

Umm, WRONG!
All me schedulled stuff is set to AFTER 2AM and shut down before 10:30 AM (so people can surf during a late b'fast), anything that occurs before 2AM I am right here in front of the computer suffering the pain as well. So get off your high horse.

I do use a significant amount of off-peak, I knew it would make an impact which is why I emailed Exetel asking them what I should do about it. I got back "We do not have any specific timetable for downloads". So what next huh? not use the off-peak at all? And as for you insult that I'm a leecher, I am not. my seed ratios are all above 1.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:39 am

Vaild point humanity. One that perhaps the admins should have just made a hard decision to begin with and set their off peak time without asking, but i must admit, it was, and still is a welcome gesture... (the fact that they ask their customer) It is what makes exetel one of the best ISP's on the market.

One thing i have learned over the years, is sometimes too much choice is a bad thing. In this instance, i think the theoretical outcome of choice was initially good, but in an imperfect world, it simply cannot work.

Unfortunately, i doubt much will be done about it unless all of the customers 'have time' to read through the forum and their email and have their say on this topic...
Last edited by willhoy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshi667

Post by Yoshi667 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40 am

Godde wrote:I would really like to know if the people who's complaining about the change are all on the lower quota plans. I mean, if the change would push your peak download over the quota, you should really try to make an extra $10 a month and pay for the upgrade instead of spending time complaining about it here.
I for one am on the largest download quota there is, and I can't get any higher without going to ADSL2+ which as previously stated is not available in my area, and if it was I would be all over that like white on rice.
Increase my peak by an amount decreased by my offpeak, say 10gig and I would be happy as a clam.

Highest peak download 27160.48 April.
Highest offpeak download 20754.94 April.
vk3xem wrote:

vk3xem wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:Can't believe I am the only one that is standing up and making a fuss, I may be only one man, but Jesus was only one man too right?!
Jesus didn't cry and complain like you, instead he died for you and sins you are committing and for you crying and complaining. Don't compare yourself to him, you don't even come close!
Did someone order a hypocrite on a white horse?...Anybody?
And I bet you would of been one of the ones standing there cheering as they spiked him back then too because back then his ideals and beliefs were radical and outrageous.
And it was a metaphor not a direct comparison, I didn't say I was Jesus I said I like Jesus was only one man, which now becomes a simile.
Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people.
I respect your opinion due to it being a democracy as you should mine, if you don't like it then please at least retort with some form of a structured insult. I may sound like I am crying and complaining, but I am sure that there are many other people out there who feel the same way, as I am sure there are many other people out there who feel the same way as you.
If you are happy with it then I am happy that you are happy, many others are not happy.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:49 am

I would say 'cool off people' with regards to the insults, but then i would not have anything to break away and read with amusement. Presently working on extremely fun unix base code :lol: