Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Godde

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Godde » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:24 am

Yoshi667 wrote:
Godde wrote:I would really like to know if the people who's complaining about the change are all on the lower quota plans. I mean, if the change would push your peak download over the quota, you should really try to make an extra $10 a month and pay for the upgrade instead of spending time complaining about it here.
I for one am on the largest download quota there is, and I can't get any higher without going to ADSL2+ which as previously stated is not available in my area, and if it was I would be all over that like white on rice.
Increase my peak by an amount decreased by my offpeak, say 10gig and I would be happy as a clam.

Highest peak download 27160.48 April.
Highest offpeak download 20754.94 April.
Ok it does affect you a bit more and I understand where you are coming from now. Exetel used to offer more options for ADSL1 but not anymore, so you risking going over your quota when the peak hours are reduced and there is also no upgrade option for you. I guess that is a valid concern. Can any admin address on that? Is there a possible solution for this?

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:43 am

Godde wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:
Godde wrote:I would really like to know if the people who's complaining about the change are all on the lower quota plans. I mean, if the change would push your peak download over the quota, you should really try to make an extra $10 a month and pay for the upgrade instead of spending time complaining about it here.
I for one am on the largest download quota there is, and I can't get any higher without going to ADSL2+ which as previously stated is not available in my area, and if it was I would be all over that like white on rice.
Increase my peak by an amount decreased by my offpeak, say 10gig and I would be happy as a clam.

Highest peak download 27160.48 April.
Highest offpeak download 20754.94 April.
Ok it does affect you a bit more and I understand where you are coming from now. Exetel used to offer more options for ADSL1 but not anymore, so you risking going over your quota when the peak hours are reduced and there is also no upgrade option for you. I guess that is a valid concern. Can any admin address on that? Is there a possible solution for this?

I am no admin, but i do have a ADSL1 54/54 8000/376 plan costing me a decent $95.00 p/m from when they did have a larger range, and i usually reach on average about 25gb combine peak and off-peak between 6 seperate computer/internet users. I also download a lot of ISO open source images and a vast amount of unix base code, and the other members of the family often download tv shows, and view a fair bit of streaming content. My suggestion is use less... The plan your would apparently be on is still quite generous compared to other providers for ADSL1, and beyond upgrading ones movie collection, i cannot see how you would fill it every month unless you were trying to eek out every cent, which to a point i can understand.. Were you ever on a capped plan with another ISP? You would know then what self control is, as nobody liked 64k...
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:53 am

HENCE EXETELS POINT...

There are few users on at 2am, less at 3am, and almost none at 4am....

Enough said, just do it.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

trev12

Post by trev12 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:22 am

i like the idea of this but have a suggestion, since u are changing off peak till 10 hours that means peak will be 14 hours now looking at the plans, like say TL-bb u have 60 gigs off peak and 30 onpeak why not chang that to say 45 off and 45 on this will combat ppl going over quicker on peak since u added a extra 2 hours with peak

chingy213

Post by chingy213 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:23 am

so now i will set my torrent manager to 2am auto-start downloads?

great, another draw back. if the network is lagging at 12am, fix it, other peoples issues is NOT my problem.

bodogbodog

Thanks Exetel

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:39 am

ForumAdmin wrote: All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Extel "citizen".
So they keep a 12 hour download period.
Wow - I just caught up with this announcement and was quite relaxed about it - and then I read this! - I moved to 2am-2pm last month so will benefit from this

Exetel you continue to surprise me (pleasantly) with your commitment to loyal customers - I for one am happy to reciprocate that loyalty

Let karma prevail

Godde

Post by Godde » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:51 am

Lbucci wrote:
I just joined because of the 12 hrs between 2am-2pm.
I am not sure but if you've switched to the 2am-2pm option I think you get to keep 12hours offpeak as a "thank you for your help in the past" bonus.

CordlezToaster

Post by CordlezToaster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 am

Exetel im a long standing loyal customer who does not really download much at 12am but going from 12hour off peak down to 10 is not fair.

You are giving other exetel users the option of keeping 2-2 can i have this option, i never changed it when you sent the email out because i dont schedule downloads i didnt think it was worth taking trial.

Its only fair what yo give to one loyal customer you give to another!
More than happy to pm you my service number.

LordS

Post by LordS » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:49 am

This thread is hilarious, whining b*tches have amassed.

It seems most still dont understand the problem.

Most downloads finish in less than 2-3 hours, which means that you are now more than welcome to schedule it at 2am, and they'll be done well before people wake up.

The - 2 hours of offpeak I dunno what triggered that, I was quite annoyed at first but after reading the forums I'm not at all bothered as I was one of the decent users who changed my plan to suit others :-)

And for all those people who seem to think 100% of exetel is displeased about this, maybe Exetel should send out an another Email asking support from users whom arent affected.

You only came here to complain, as would anyone else who was 'disadvantaged'. People don't congratulate others when they get what they want, but they sure as hell complain when they don't.

I think a poll would be interesting. Considering theres maybe 50 posters in this thread.... At least 10-15 aren't bothered or are pleased about this.... Exetel has alot more users than that, that either aren't bothered or are pleased.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 am

humanity wrote:
If they change this, what's to say they wont cut it back further later. The inequality that those people who switched are now treated differently to those that didn't is also an issue. All I'm after is my 12 hours of peak and 12 hours of off peak, I don't care if its 12-12, 1-1 or even bloody 5am to 5pm. I consider the change in times a compromise. I do not like companies taking things from me. I did all I could to help out the midnight problem, but exetel didn't want to tell me anything. I normally don't have time for forums so what I was I supposed to do?

From the Email:
Possible Change To Off Peak Period
One of the suggestions received has been to change the off peak period:
to: 2 am to 2 pm
All times are Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Summer Time when that applies.
We would be interested in your thoughts

I was fine with either of those.
Exetel introduced the off peak bonus period on March 1st 2004.

Since that time the time period and/or the amount included has changed more than 15 times (an average of three times each year).

Exetel provides this bonus because there are unused bandwidth hours that effectively cost Exetel nothing and therfore, in line with its reason for being in business in the first place, it provides the benefit of free hours and free download amounts to its customers.

The ability to do this varies from time to time as the number of customers grow (and therefore the base bandwidth continues to increase) and the usage patterns of that changing and growing user base change.

Exetel, unlike virtually very other communications supplier to the Australian market almost always raises issues with its customers for discussion and to get many different views on all sorts of subjects over the years and takes a lot of notice of all views, even the less practical ones, before making any decision.

In this case the decision is between raising plan prices or moving major download start times - pretty simple decision which we canvassed widely some three months ago. The solution reached at that discussion hasn't worked so the decision to change, for the 16th time, the bonus period has been made.

The bonus period has always been simply that - a bonus.

The fact that it is a bonus is clearly stated in the contract and has been for 5 years and 5 months.

The fact that it will change in the future, just as it has in the past, is going to happen as customers change and usage changes - Exetel provides the bonus on the basis of its abiity to deliver it cost effectively.

It is something that customers who didn't realise the terms under which the bonus period is provided, both now and in the future, need to consider.

neb

Post by neb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 am

Lik wrote: I’ve never used automatic scheduled download in my life. Just for the record. My point is, I’ve signed up when off peak was from 10pm, so I could watch youtube, download bits and pieces, make some phone calls on the other half of the world and so on. Now I have off peak from 2am and just 10 hrs. So no wonder I am not happy.
Thats the whole problem, seriously you people need to wake up, 10 hours is ample, so you want it from midnight, the only sustainable way to do that is for exetel to substantially increase their dsl vlan and transit data connections to the wholesalers, this would see everyone paying about $10.00 a month more, so if you wernt crying about this, you'd be crying about that, so weigh it all up, 100K users would be crying about the $10 increase just to keep a few noisy minorities happy, or show the small minority group how to manage their usage patterns, Exetel offered for people to show they can do it, some took that option up, the vast majority of those causing this issue at midnight, did not, so you basically need to look in the mirror as to why the shortend hours are here.

I for one applaud Exetel for this move.

Fausty

Post by Fausty » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am

Wow.

I just joined Exetel (2 days ago) and didn't really get a chance to change my off-peak to 2-2. Kind of bites :(

Oh well...

Colt

Post by Colt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:22 am

This will have absolutely no impact on me so far as I can tell so I'm not fussed.

The only thing I don't understand is how a bunch of downloading at 12 can affect the network but that it doesn't do so between 6am-12am. I know people have said most downloads finish by then, but with the nature of P2P and all this hate for 'leachers' I find that quite an amusing fact.

Anyway, obviously for some reason that's what's being downloaded so if this helps, all the best.

LordS

Post by LordS » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:30 am

Colt wrote:This will have absolutely no impact on me so far as I can tell so I'm not fussed.

The only thing I don't understand is how a bunch of downloading at 12 can affect the network but that it doesn't do so between 6am-12am. I know people have said most downloads finish by then, but with the nature of P2P and all this hate for 'leachers' I find that quite an amusing fact.

Anyway, obviously for some reason that's what's being downloaded so if this helps, all the best.
Well an average movie, is say 1.3GB.

Even on a crap connection that is easily downloaded in a couple of hours (a decent 8mbit will do it in < 1 hour).

When most people only have 1-2 maybe 3 things queued to download each night, Everything is bound to finish only hours after 12am.

So the network has a huge gap where there is next to no usage between 4am and 9am.

If people weren't so greedy and tried to 'hoard' the entire off peak period and started the moment off peak started the network wouldn't be so strained.

I myself download when I wake up at 7am (allways get 100% speed) and am done well before midday.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 am

Wow

Shades of Telstra some time ago when they imposed a 3 Gb limit. They would not listen to their customers and lost so many Accounts, not only Internet but home and business accounts as well.

Take away something that is of a benefit to someone and of course they must get upset, why shouldn't they.

I would suggest that Exetel management seriously look at this, If I remember from my Uni days, If you have one unhappy customer then the negative multiplier effect that this customer projects is 4-5 times. Ask Telstra. I am sure they will tell you.

This forum is the only avenue we have to publically comment and each member should have the right to voice an opinion as long as it is done without flaming.

Me? am I happy with the change? Does not directly affect me as I do not reach downloads limits and speed is a non issue as I am throttled anyway.

BUT

I will say again, it would be wise for Exetel Management to listen closely to those who are not happy with the change as WITHOUT CUSTOMERS YOU DO NOT HAVE A BUSINESS.

Cheers
Last edited by Wazzaf on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.