Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:18 pm

humanity wrote:Anyway, I hope that ForumAdmin or someone else high up enough in Exetel changes the ruling that everyone is forced to 02:00 - 14:00 off-peak.
I think you are flogging a dead horse there. The change is occurring from August, so accept it, or fight your fight via proper email support channels with a request to transfer away from Exetel.

Also, Exetel never "helped the government with their great internet firewall". They performa week long, live test of internet filtering capable hardware and network configuration so that they would know what to do IF the government forced the ludricrous idea of a firewall onto ISPs.

Sean Murray

Post by Sean Murray » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Will Exetel also get blamed when the "Three Strikes = Disconnection" issue gains traction?

Users should be grateful for ANY "Off-Peak" quota and treat is as a bonus [which it is].

[Flame suit ready.......]

Sean

nylon

Post by nylon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Hmphh. I'm not pleased with the enforced offpeak changes. I subscribed to a service by Exetel. I understood the rules. I obeyed the rules, and now I'm being slapped for being a greedy, bad citizen.

It's like being booked for driving at the speed limit.

I am only mollified the reduced services will naturally result in a commensurate reduction in my monthly fee. After all, Exetel and I had a contract and now they are reneging on their obligations without compensation. In effect, it's a price increase by stealth.

I repeat: Hmphh.

paul5666

Post by paul5666 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Out of interest, could someone point me to an ADSL1 plan of another provider which is better value?
Humanity, what plan did your friend hop on?

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:40 pm

humanity wrote:@ForumAdmin

Executive Summary:
[*]Most customers are too busy to read forums
[*]Most customers remained on 0000-1200 because no preference was stated by Exetel in the emails and its easier to do nothing.
[*]I only want to retain 12hr peak and 12hr off-peak. The hours can be 0200-1400, that would be acceptable.
[*]What makes me a bad citizen?

Full Argument
I appreciate that you work extremely long hours to provide us with such excellent deals, and I thank you for that. The very midnight slowdown problem is as a result of Exetels popularity.

Reducing the Off-Peak from 0000-1200 to 0200-1200 would not effect me most days of the week, but I would really appreciate the extra two off-peak hours (1200-1400) on the weekends that you are providing to your Loyal Citizens that made the switch in the last 8 weeks.

A lot of people here are upset at the lack of communication from Exetel. I hope you can appreciate that some of us are normally far to busy to spend hours (like today and yesterday) in the forums discussing potential solutions to this problem). So we just read the email that was sent out in April.

We, the customers, have been called citizens a few times now. If this were a nation, of course we would be upset that the rules do not apply to all the citizens. I broke no rules, I countered no recommendations or requests and I pay my bill on time every month. So why am I being considered a "bad citizen"?

That email only provided two options, 0000-1200 & 0200-1400. Exetel did not make a recommendation or a preference to either. So I the option I chose was "sh*t I'm too busy, I'll deal with this later", and never got back to it. Had Exetel expressed a preference I would have taken it. Neither of those options made much difference to me because in both options I had 12 hours of off-peak and 12 hours of on-peak.
This is how alot of us are feeling. If I (or alot of people here) had any idea that this would have been beneficial, I would have moved. A fair few of us could not care less when Off-peak starts and finishes. It is not fair that those who moved (because it was more than likely better for THEM) are being rewarded, and those who had no idea it was a problem are losing out.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm

nylon wrote:Hmphh. I'm not pleased with the enforced offpeak changes. I subscribed to a service by Exetel. I understood the rules. I obeyed the rules, and now I'm being slapped for being a greedy, bad citizen.

It's like being booked for driving at the speed limit.

I am only mollified the reduced services will naturally result in a commensurate reduction in my monthly fee. After all, Exetel and I had a contract and now they are reneging on their obligations without compensation. In effect, it's a price increase by stealth.

I repeat: Hmphh.
Have you ever read your contract?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:02 pm

humanity wrote: I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with your classification of the Off-Peak period as a bonus. A bonus is something that is provided above what is due. The off-peak's data allowance and times were expressly stated in the contract and the terms and conditions (filed under the acceptable use policy). You may consider it a bonus or an extra service that you can provide your customers but I consider it a significant part of the service that I am being provided.
Which part of 9 c) did you not understand?

9. Downloads in the Off Peak period
9.1) These conditions apply from 1st February 2008 until further notice for residential ADSL1, plans that have an initial service period of 6 months, residential ADSL2 plans that have an initial service period of 12 months and residential Wireless (Unwired) plans that have an initial service period of 30 days:
a) Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient internet bandwidth between the hours of 12 noon to 12 midnight each day (Peak Period) to avoid congestion during those hours.
b) In the event that any Customer downloads more than (54 GB for older plans) 60 GB during the Off Peak Period in any calendar month, Exetel will charge the excess usage at $3.00 per GB or part thereof unless they are under the speed shaping option found in the user facilities.
c) Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:07 pm

soaper wrote:dont pick on me
wouldn't dream of it.
i just washed my very most fav mobile phone, ever....... and didnt pick it up til nearly the end of the final spin cycle. :shock:
It's not a flip but I have a serviceable one lying around (I upgrade every 12 months or so). PM me if you want it. I'll consider it penance for being a Cheeky Sod.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

humanity

Post by humanity » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
humanity wrote: I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with your classification of the Off-Peak period as a bonus. A bonus is something that is provided above what is due. The off-peak's data allowance and times were expressly stated in the contract and the terms and conditions (filed under the acceptable use policy). You may consider it a bonus or an extra service that you can provide your customers but I consider it a significant part of the service that I am being provided.
Which part of 9 c) did you not understand?

9. Downloads in the Off Peak period
9.1) These conditions apply from 1st February 2008 until further notice for residential ADSL1, plans that have an initial service period of 6 months, residential ADSL2 plans that have an initial service period of 12 months and residential Wireless (Unwired) plans that have an initial service period of 30 days:
a) Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient internet bandwidth between the hours of 12 noon to 12 midnight each day (Peak Period) to avoid congestion during those hours.
b) In the event that any Customer downloads more than (54 GB for older plans) 60 GB during the Off Peak Period in any calendar month, Exetel will charge the excess usage at $3.00 per GB or part thereof unless they are under the speed shaping option found in the user facilities.
c) Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.
I'm wasn't disagreeing with your legal right to make the change to the Off-Peak times. I'm stating that the off-peak is not a bonus, it's expected. Basically every Internet plan has an off-peak time period, having one is just par for the course. The definition of 'Bonus' has nothing to do with that clause, in fact I could not find Bonus written or defined in the T&C or the Acceptable Use Policy.

Even my electricity company does the same thing, they charge me a higher rate for use during peak hours, nothing new there. Only difference is they don't call the off peak a bonus.

If you consider the off-peak not part of the services provided, then that would make Exetel's plans very economically undesirable. Even on the NAK2E plan a customer would be only getting 54GB.

chomeop

Post by chomeop » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Excellent work exetel :D

I was recently experiencing terrible lag as soon as the network hits midnight.

Keep up the great work guys!

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:49 pm

After reading a little more on this subject, here in the forum. I really feel sorry for the administrators that have had to sit in and watch some of the simply idiotic responses and me,me,me replies.

I am curious to know the average age group of users, because i thought you could only supply a contractual agreement to people over 18? :D

Best of luck, and looking forward to the change!
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

Godde

Post by Godde » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:53 pm

humanity wrote:I believe they are more expensive than Exetel, but their customer service isn't as cold.
That's not true. back then when Exetel is smaller, the founders were also actively involved in customer service. We were offered a lot of goodies as pioneer Exetel customers and for trying out ADSL2+ when it first came out. I had $20 discount every month for a very decent ADSL plan back then. The problem solving ability of Exetel's customer service reps is also what I like the best about Exetel. You can talk to the warm welcoming Tel$tra techs for days without making any real progress, but Exetel always cut to the chase and investigate the problem very promptly.
To me, Exetel managed to remain as the best value-for-money ISP for years without really compromising on the customer service.

*sorry paul, made a mistake.
Last edited by Godde on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Z3r0

Post by Z3r0 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello Exetel and friends :P

My first post here...

I had an idea why not make it so the offpeak bonus of 60GB can just be used whenever people want (so it becomes a bonus instead of offpeak bonus)? Surely this would provide a better spread of data usage as people wouldn't use scheduled downloaders as much or possibly would start them at other times other than midnight.

My second idea was making it a 16 hour offpeak from 2am to 6pm to avoid congestion in the evenings as (I assume) this would become a problem when people get home from work and decide to start downloading things.

Cheers
Last edited by Z3r0 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 pm

I have deleted 22 recent posts.

Reason?

They were totally off topic and added noting to ANY persons knowledge or understanding of ANYTHING.

Either post on the topic or don't post in this thread.

Stating your same view over and over again is also pointless and makes the thread difficult to follow.

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:05 pm

I changed to the 2am-2pm last month so if I'm not mistaken I get to keep it.

That's nice but what I do think is unfair for the others is having their peak period increased without a commesurate increase to their quota. It would have been a nice gesture to adjust the quota also.