Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
angryofmayfair

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by angryofmayfair » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Yoshi667 wrote: I am happy that I am getting better hours than any other ISP but that doesn't change the fact that I am also unhappy that every other ISP treats their customers as equal.

Really there is no truth in that at all - most ISP's (and many other businesses) have different 'bonuses' or options for different customers - lots of ISP's (Incl Exetel I think) will have a lot of users on old plans with different offerings than current users will be getting.
Business customers of most companies always seem to get better deals than a single 'joe public' that signs up with them...
So not every customer *is* equal - fact....

My thoughts on this whole thing is that Exetel did not communicate their needs and intentions very clearly at all before they sent out the email informing *everybody* (at that point) that they were losing 60+ hrs a month of their off-peak time.
That was very dictatorial and not customer-friendly at all and something that seems to have upset a lot of customers...

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:08 pm

hbfix2 wrote:Why not simply introduce a fair use policy which requires users who run autodownloaders to limit the start time of said autodownloaders to 2pm or later, and deal with transgressions by restricting speed during offpeak for those who don't comply. It has been stated that a small percentage of users are responsible for this problem, why not target them instead of annoying a large number of non offending users?
It isn't a small percentage of users. It is a systemic issue of people scheduling downloads right on midnight.

There are many ways that would, in theory, be good at smoothing the traffic utilisation but they probably require a fair amount of technical development. So, the immediate fix seems to be a system wide alteration to off-peak times; easy to implement, equitable (ignoring the issue of the 1am-1pm and 2am-2pm reward for early adopters) and yields immediate benefits.

The "ideal" solution would actually be quality of service like prioritisation of users based on total downloads in the past hour, day, or month. Another nice and neat looking solution I've seen proposed is a phase-in of peak to off-peak and vice versa rather than a cut-in time of midnight. i.e. 11pm to midnight: 75% of your quota gets allocated to peak, 25% to offpeak. Midnight to 1am: 50% / 50%. etc.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Ask users at other ISPs about 'grandfathered' plans. The concept of retaining your chosen off peak period is no different.
Those who didn't choose are being given a new default, perhaps?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:28 pm

JasonM wrote:Ask users at other ISPs about 'grandfathered' plans. The concept of retaining your chosen off peak period is no different.
Well put Jason! I am on a grandfathered plan, I did not choose to change my off-peak time so I will have 10 hours off-peak time. My choice, my problem - not that it is a problem to me as I don't try to squeeze every last byte out of my quota each month.

I have never scheduled downloads to start the second off-peak starts. Most of my usage is browsing and VoIP, the occassional downloads I do do are small and sporadic like apps. for my Nokia phone.

If I were to schedule a download that I wanted the next day I would schedule it to finish just before I planned to get up rather than starting at a set time. If this practice were adopted by most users then this change would not have had to happen.

I am happy with my 10 hours off-peak, it will not affect my usage patterns in any way as my usage would not directly impact on the network either.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

humanity

Post by humanity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:19 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
humanity wrote:
ForumAdmin, you failed to answer Alcor1's question. I understand the concept of the higher data allowance during the off-peak, its all about trying to out do your competitors. What wasn't the off-peak time change for all customers to 2am - 2pm?
How stupid do you have to be to consider 2pm to be "off peak"?
Hey! what happened to my answer to this post? You asked a question and I answered in a civil and concise manner and provided evidence supporting my position.

Addendum:
My answer was, it was Exetel that first proposed 2am - 2pm, not I, and it is Exetel that is allowing some of its customers to retain their off-peak until 2pm. So I got the idea that 2pm was off-peak by reading the official line from Exetel. That's how stupid I have to be.
Last edited by humanity on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 pm

humanity wrote:Hey! what happened to my answer to this post? You asked a question and I answered in a civil and concise manner and provided evidence supporting my position.
Are you still here? I thought you had churned to another ISP!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Alcor1

Post by Alcor1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Alcor1 wrote:A while ago, Exetel sent an e-mail detailing the network slowdown problems around 12am and asking users to voluntarily start any large download tasks at a later time to address the problem. I complied with this request and initiated any large downloads after 1am.

Then recently an e-mail was sent about selectable off-peak time windows. The point of this presumably was to address the same problem. I intended changing to 1am-1pm, but did not get around to doing so.

Now I see that Exetel is considering rewarding 'responsible citizen' users, i.e., those who for whatever reason changed their off-peak window, with the benefit of keeping the 12hr off-peak period, while everyone else is being forced to accept a reduction to 10hr.

I want to know how Exetel is going to reward users like me, who have been voluntarily responsible ever since the problem was first flagged.
CoreyPlover wrote:Those people who joined with Exetel 5 years ago when they went through very difficult expansion and development are rewarded with a discount on their monthly fees. Similarly, those people who volunteered to shift off-peak times are also rewarded.
I'm still waiting to hear exactly how Exetel is going to reward users like me, who took action when the problem was first brought to my attention.

banama

Post by banama » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:11 pm

So unfair with people are choosing 12AM – 12PM ?

Exetel should increase GB on peak time and reduce GB off peak time to make them balance

That's all i want to say to exetel , Thanks

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 pm

As a relatively new customer to Exetel and out of curiosity, is there always a mass of people whinging about minor changes when they have occurred in the past?

humanity

Post by humanity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 pm

ryanb wrote:As a relatively new customer to Exetel and out of curiosity, is there always a mass of people whinging about minor changes when they have occurred in the past?
As far as Exetel has been able to show, this is the first time that they have ever reduced the amount. ForumAdmin has claimed to be other times, but so far I haven't been able to find any information to back up the claim and ForumAdmin has refused to quantify his/her claim.

I'm a new customer as well, I only joined up in March this year. Most of the people here "winging" as you say are upset about the difference in treatment of the two different groups of customers and the stubborn attitude of most of the Exetel staff.

Yoshi667

Post by Yoshi667 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:43 pm

MeOnMine wrote:Hey Exetel you guys have opened another can of worms I see.
This is the 3rd Tsunami you have put through your body of clientele in as many months.
I speak from experience when I warn you of consequence.
Good will is difficult to muster but so easy to lose.

People of this thread please listen to me.
Exetel have only done one thing wrong, and that is that they should have just told us in the beginning that off peak is now 02:00 – 14:00 across the board. Everyone, you included. Me, as well.
Exetel tried to give us free speech to allow us the privilege of input to assist in running the business and making us all happy. This has turned around and bitten them on the bum.
The only argument that we as customers have is the imbalance of some people remaining with 12 hours of off peak and the others being disvalued and now acquiring 10 hours off peak.

People have some faith.
Exetel did not state that there will be a consequence to us if we do not change to the later time schedule or if the proposed system did not work. They gave us the “option.” Hypothetically, in a court of law Exetel would not last 10 minutes trying to prove that some of us are more worthy than others with respect to our decision.
We all have different contracts but we all pay our premiums we are all equal to Exetel.
In the start of the new week Exetel management will get together and with advice change this situation.
It is wrong and they will come to the same understanding.
It goes against the “fair trading act” and Exetel have always been more than fair.
I really hope you are right and they come to their senses.
angryofmayfair wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote: I am happy that I am getting better hours than any other ISP but that doesn't change the fact that I am also unhappy that every other ISP treats their customers as equal.

Really there is no truth in that at all - most ISP's (and many other businesses) have different 'bonuses' or options for different customers - lots of ISP's (Incl Exetel I think) will have a lot of users on old plans with different offerings than current users will be getting.
Business customers of most companies always seem to get better deals than a single 'joe public' that signs up with them...
So not every customer *is* equal - fact....

My thoughts on this whole thing is that Exetel did not communicate their needs and intentions very clearly at all before they sent out the email informing *everybody* (at that point) that they were losing 60+ hrs a month of their off-peak time.
That was very dictatorial and not customer-friendly at all and something that seems to have upset a lot of customers...
But this was never advertised as a "bonus", "extras" or a "promotion" merely an "option" I opted that the times I had at the time suited me better than the times they were offering, now I am being classed as a "bad citizen" and having my hours cut.
More than likely though businesses will be on a different quota, upload and download speed, and contract, they will pay a different price and have many different rules to abide by. I on the other hand am no different in any of those ways than the guy next door to me who decided that they would change their offpeak times, I still have the same quota, I still have the same upload and download speed, I still have the same contract and "service plan", I still pay the same amount per month and I still must abide by the same rules and yet I get 2hrs less offpeak than they do?
JasonM wrote:Ask users at other ISPs about 'grandfathered' plans. The concept of retaining your chosen off peak period is no different.
But that isn't right is it. My chosen offpeak hours were from 12am-12pm, so going by your logic that all the people who chose to have their offpeak from 1am-1pm and 2am-2pm get to keep the same hours, I should get to keep my 12am-12pm hours due to the fact I CHOSE 12am-12pm and by giving us the option to change you effectively nulled the default hours, would it have still been the same if I had of changed to the 2am-2pm and then decided that the 12am-12pm suited me better and changed back? Would I get to keep 12am-12pm? Had I known there was going to be a hidden cookie at the end of the other tunnels and a train coming down mine, I (like many others) would have certainly chosen to go down a different tunnel, even if it was not the one that suited us the best.
Last edited by Yoshi667 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PM

Post by PM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

ryanb wrote:As a relatively new customer to Exetel and out of curiosity, is there always a mass of people whinging about minor changes when they have occurred in the past?
Out of 100,000+ subscribers, it's only a handful of users. But it's probably a whole lot worse over on "Whingepool". I can't even bring myself to have a look over there. :mrgreen:
That would make me depressed before bed. :)

PM

Post by PM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:56 pm

humanity wrote:I'm a new customer as well, I only joined up in March this year. Most of the people here "winging" as you say are upset about the difference in treatment of the two different groups of customers and the stubborn attitude of most of the Exetel staff.
There are many, many different groups of customers. I'm on a grandfathered plan. Some of these older plans are better than the newer ones and some of the newer ones are better than the older ones.
Get over it.
I've only been with Exetel for less than 3 years. I don't benefit from the "pioneer" discount. Do I worry. No!
I was probably an early adopter in Tasmania. Should I then get an easter egg from Exetel. NO!

Yoshi667

Post by Yoshi667 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:12 pm

PM wrote:
humanity wrote:I'm a new customer as well, I only joined up in March this year. Most of the people here "winging" as you say are upset about the difference in treatment of the two different groups of customers and the stubborn attitude of most of the Exetel staff.
There are many, many different groups of customers. I'm on a grandfathered plan. Some of these older plans are better than the newer ones and some of the newer ones are better than the older ones.
Get over it.
I've only been with Exetel for less than 3 years. I don't benefit from the "pioneer" discount. Do I worry. No!
I was probably an early adopter in Tasmania. Should I then get an easter egg from Exetel. NO!
That's good for you, I am really happy for you, really. The difference is, I am here while this stuff is happening, my contract or "plan" is current whereas yours is not. Are you happy with your grandfathered plan? If not then why don't you migrate over? You must be contempt with it, we on the other hand are not. If I am wrong please let me know, explain your situation so I have a better understanding more than your generic "Get over it."

youneak

Post by youneak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Wow.. stop sooking everyone. you bunch of little kids.
Exetel are correcting a valid problem by making this change... if you don't want to download at night, do it in the morning when you wake up, and before you go to work.

As this move is to correct a valid issue with thier service, and does not in anyway go against agreed terms of conditions there is nothing you can do about it even if you are pissed off.. how much can you download with the extra 2 hours per night anyway, that you would have in the 12 hour window, most people finish thier downloads in 2-3 hours, which can easily be placed between 7am (when most people wake to get ready for work) and 12pm when off-peak finished. Or auto scheduled to start at 2am, 3am, 4am etc...

People are claiming such a disadvantage, but I really can't see it (even after reading 18 pages of sook)
If you feel you have had your terms of contract violated, go to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and see what they say. Having previously worked for the Ombudsmans office, I can tell you now that your complaint will not proceed past a reply explaining that Exetel are well within thier rights to change such a service as it does not go against any contracts, and it also benefits the majority of thier clients by means of correcting a known and valid issue, that they are experiencing as a direct result of the use of off-peak downloads.

Think of the bigger picture before you continue to whinge. This change will help 80% if not more of Exetels clients, and I think greater of Exetel for having made such a change.

Thank you Exetel!! It is very much appreciated