Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
humanity

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:25 am

James wrote:Hi Mike,

Exetel staff are always very polite to customers, but the customer isn't always right, and no one should have to be polite at all costs, especially at some of these pedantic whinging posts.

If you have a problem with the service, find a more suitable provider, I had an issue with my bank and just moved on.

James
My last ISP screwed up, I called them. They apologised and fixed the problem that day.

Exetel screwed up, we're calling and you're insulting us and telling us to basically "F**K off"

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:26 am

I wasn't saying you should be pilot to everyone, especially those who yell and swear at you. (I've had a few of those!)

But so far humanity hasn't really been impolite, he just feels... well i guess a little cheated. The whole reason being that there was no real information given as to the problems occurring at midnight, and that if we changed off peak times it would have fixed it. All he is really asking is to be treated the same as the customers who did change there off peak time. The fact is, most of those people would have changed to benefit themselves, not everyone else, and for that, they are rewarded.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:26 am

john.d wrote:
James wrote:Hi Mike,

Exetel staff are always very polite to customers, but the customer isn't always right, and no one should have to be polite at all costs, especially at some of these pedantic whinging posts.

If you have a problem with the service, find a more suitable provider, I had an issue with my bank and just moved on.

James
What's the point of having this forum then?
When we have a complaint, you start calling us whingers?

Is this someone polite?
Or this attitude of take it or leave it?

Do you want us to come here and just sing you praises.
It's main purpose is to HELP users, by joining them with other Exetel users who might have had a similar issue, and to communicate Exetel developments.

This conversation/debate/whatever is of no use to anyone.

LordS

Post by LordS » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 am

humanity wrote:
Exetel screwed up, we're calling and you're insulting us and telling us to basically "F**K off"
Welcome to the internet my friend :)

humanity

Post by humanity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 am

James wrote:No, he's an Exetel employee, and a great one at that.
I'm sure he's great at what ever it is you pay him for, but I hope its' not customer service for he has provided nothing of value here and has only caused harm to Exetels public image.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 am

MikeMil wrote:I wasn't saying you should be pilot to everyone, especially those who yell and swear at you. (I've had a few of those!)

But so far humanity hasn't really been impolite, he just feels... well i guess a little cheated. The whole reason being that there was no real information given as to the problems occurring at midnight, and that if we changed off peak times it would have fixed it. All he is really asking is to be treated the same as the customers who did change there off peak time. The fact is, most of those people would have changed to benefit themselves, not everyone else, and for that, they are rewarded.
Fact is, our pioneer customers (For example) didn't know that they would receive a benefit by joining an unknown ISP back in early 2004, but now they do.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

humanity

Post by humanity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 am

LordS wrote:
humanity wrote:
Maybe in a lot of forums, but not by a company. Even Telstra will answer the phone after you sit in the queue for 20 mins and then talk with you. I have never had a company be as rude and obnoxious as some of the staff have been here. I hope they don't reflect the majority of Exetel, that would be a shame.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 am

humanity wrote:
I'm sure he's great at what ever it is you pay him for, but I hope its' not customer service for he has provided nothing of value here and has only caused harm to Exetels public image.
Actually it is customer service, and the other day I read a glowing report of an instance when he solved a customers quite complex issue very promptly, courteously, and professionally.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:31 am

humanity wrote:
LordS wrote:
humanity wrote:
Maybe in a lot of forums, but not by a company. Even Telstra will answer the phone after you sit in the queue for 20 mins and then talk with you. I have never had a company be as rude and obnoxious as some of the staff have been here. I hope they don't reflect the majority of Exetel, that would be a shame.
Well, we would pick up the phone much sooner than that, you might like to check these call times tomorrow; http://www.exetel.com.au/contact.php

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:34 am

humanity wrote:
Sorry you feel that way..
I can't win them all I suppose.

What outcome are you hoping to achieve from your posts here?
You've continually stated the same point over and over, you've been supplied a response - the change isn't likely to negatively impact you based on your 'current usage', likely because you tightly control it to ensure you only use off peak..

I'm expecting worse tomorrow, users aren't exactly the same on forum as they are in email - the end result is the same, they are all told exactly what the change is, and the change is being made to the benefit of all users, the change is a carefully thought out change to off peak, and remind that Exetel has, and very well will continue to change the off peak period in line with the contract they accepted.

.. And so begins another week.

rahul

Post by rahul » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:34 am

Hi Forum Admin

Just wanted to say that exetel is a great ISP, i would like to stay with exetel as long as i can, but i just had one queestion in mind.

I belive that previously we were given an option to pick off peak times. 12am 1am or 2am. I chose 12am-12pm so that i can help exetels bandwith during the peak business hours (12pm to 2pm) that many people may need to use their Adsl during critial business hours. I have done this with good faith (helping both exetel and its customers), so im just curious as to why i havnt made it to the list of "Good Citizens". Is there a specific time frame that i needed to have choosen to be a considered as a "Good Citizen"?

Just would like some clarifications on this.

Cheers

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 am

rahul wrote:Hi Forum Admin

Just wanted to say that exetel is a great ISP, i would like to stay with exetel as long as i can, but i just had one queestion in mind.

I belive that previously we were given an option to pick off peak times. 12am 1am or 2am. I chose 12am-12pm so that i can help exetels bandwith during the peak business hours (12pm to 2pm) that many people may need to use their Adsl during critial business hours. I have done this with good faith (helping both exetel and its customers), so im just curious as to why i havnt made it to the list of "Good Citizens". Is there a specific time frame that i needed to have choosen to be a considered as a "Good Citizen"?

Just would like some clarifications on this.

Cheers
Hi Rahul,

No ISPs peak hours are 12pm-2pm, businesses use very little bandwidth, actually it's amazing how little some customers on 20Mbps/20Mbps pipes use!

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 am

James wrote:
MikeMil wrote:I wasn't saying you should be pilot to everyone, especially those who yell and swear at you. (I've had a few of those!)

Fact is, our pioneer customers (For example) didn't know that they would receive a benefit by joining an unknown ISP back in early 2004, but now they do.

Hey, I totally get that. Joining an unknown ISP would have been a big risk, but it has paid off. Exetel have been fantastic for the most point, and I regularly recommend them to people, especially customers I serve at the computer store I work at. But the fact is most of the people who did change their off peak times, would have done it because it was better for them.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:42 am

MikeMil wrote:
James wrote:

Hey, I totally get that. Joining an unknown ISP would have been a big risk, but it has paid off. Exetel have been fantastic for the most point, and I regularly recommend them to people, especially customers I serve at the computer store I work at. But the fact is most of the people who did change their off peak times, would have done it because it was better for them.
I guess more people would have joined Exetel back in 2004 if they knew it was better for them than their current provider, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

hbfix2

Post by hbfix2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 am

James wrote: If you can find a better deal, i'd like to know.
No, there isn't a better deal, we all know that. What is upsetting everyone is that this change makes the deal poorer. Not by any massive amount, although it is a 16% + time reduction, but just because it is a reduction, or lessening, of the deal.

I understand that there is a problem at midnight, but it seems to be only on adsl2, because I don't see it on adsl1, in line with other adsl1 users comments. Initially it sounded like (from the posts) that only a small number of users were causing the problem, but a recent post in this thread says that the problem is caused by many users. Would it not be less inflammatory to apply fair use provisions which prohibit large or continuous downloads before 2am instead of reducing the hours for practically everyone, and enforce this with restrictions for those who do not co-operate?

If a way could be found to moderate the midnight download surge problem which only targeted those who cause it, I am sure that there would be much less complaint. It wouldn't reduce to none, because you would be hearing from those who were targeted, but the level of complaint would be (I think) far more manageable for Exetel than this current storm.