Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
paulb
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by paulb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 pm

DWWood wrote:One question though - If it is found (which it may very well not be) that the adjustment to a 2am start across the board does not alleviate the congestion at Midnight will the off-peak times be returned to 12 hours whether it be 2am to 2pm?
Tedious, but it's a good idea to carefully read through the thread in its entirety and even do some research in order to understand the issue, before putting forward proposals - at least if you believe you are making a serious proposal. :wink:

I not so long ago put forward some comments about what the traffic graphs really mean.

It will be immediately obvious on inspection that the "step" (presently) at midnight is very real and very significant - traffic increases by a further quarter in a matter of mere minutes taking a further three hours to drop to the pre-midnight level. What I find even more interesting is that this peak is clearly replicated in the opposite orientation at noon and that this also corresponds to the daily peak in outgoing traffic.

Apart from the conclusion that this is largely due to torrent use, it must be only too obvious that the "step" is not any function of Exetel's equipment, but of the off-peak policy and that if the policy changes the time to 02:00, then the "step" will move to correspond (except insofar and in proportion as the downloaders and torrent users fail to read their e-mail). Unless you disbelieve that the onset of heavy traffic at midnight causes congestion, then you will be forced to agree that the move will virtually axiomatically, be successful in alleviating congestion for the non-automaton "night-owls" at that time.

And I am quite confident that it is Exetel's carefully considered conclusion that were they to offer carte blanche on the 12:00 to 14:00 time segment, this would result in progression of the present pre-midday ramp - already equaling the midnight peak - to yet more ridiculous heights.

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 pm

Your posts are deleted, along with those of other posters, because you keep repeating the same statement over and over again which makes the thread totally unusable.

You have made your point, such as it is, over multiple pages - it needs no further iteration.


ForumAdmin

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Off topic

ForumAdmin

john.d
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by john.d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Your endlessly repetitive posts are deleted now on the same basis as others - you have made multiple posts repeatedly making the same point and effectively making this thread unusable.

ForumAdmin

john.d
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by john.d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 pm

As you have posted again in this thread you will be banned for one week. No one here can help you

ForumAdmin

peacefulwarrior
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:47 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by peacefulwarrior » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:30 pm

ryanb wrote:
peacefulwarrior wrote:I changed off-peak to the 0200-1400 hours option in June. The change came into effect this month.

So.......I get to keep the that off peak period correct?
Yes.
Cool.

Thanks,
PeacefulWarrior

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 pm

You continue to make off topic and repetive posts destroying any semblance of value this thread may once have had. If you do it once more you will be suspended from posting here for one week. No one here can help you.

ForumAdmin

nihonjin
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by nihonjin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Some people just need to take a breath and realise there is more to life then 12 hours of offpeak download.

Do i want to receive the same off peak as everyone else? Yes

Am i going to get all worked up over not receiving the same as everyone else? No

Why?

Because 10 hours is more then enough and still better value than any other isp out there. If people here dont agree then leave and go somewhere else. Its as simple as that. One of the other reasons im not worried is in time im sure that exetel will change it again (off peak bonus) and most likely it will be to increase it back to 12 hours anyway. If they dont then im not worried as i have every confidence that exetel will be offering me the best value they can. This has been how they have operated the entire time they have been in business.

keep up the good work exetel.

ps im not an exetel employee or a fanboi just a satisfied customer for more then 4 years now.

aiki
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:28 am
Location: sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by aiki » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm

If there must be two levels of Exetel customers, why don't the low volume users remain as they are and the high volume users who are presumably the cause of the problem have their offpeak restricted.
Simple enough to tell who's who.

trev12
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 pm
Location: geelong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by trev12 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:16 pm

i dont mind the change as i turn my modem off 95% of the month when i go to bed but one question with this 12 midnight thing is it affecting other ip servers or only exetel. if its only exetel what are the other ip servers doing that exetel isnt ?

DWWood
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by DWWood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:21 pm

paulb wrote:
DWWood wrote:One question though - If it is found (which it may very well not be) that the adjustment to a 2am start across the board does not alleviate the congestion at Midnight will the off-peak times be returned to 12 hours whether it be 2am to 2pm?
Tedious, but it's a good idea to carefully read through the thread in its entirety and even do some research in order to understand the issue, before putting forward proposals - at least if you believe you are making a serious proposal. :wink:
New to all this type of stuff but from what I have read so far there was too much whinging going on which made me gloss over a lot.

I read somewhere that the slow down was only affecting ADSL2 users or are those graphs related to all broadband users? I personally never noticed any slow down in the AM (ADSL1 here) except for the huge reduction in line speed across the board after a month of signing up, Bigpond's fault I beleive.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 pm

trev12 wrote:i dont mind the change as i turn my modem off 95% of the month when i go to bed but one question with this 12 midnight thing is it affecting other ip servers or only exetel. if its only exetel what are the other ip servers doing that exetel isnt ?
Well - there are only three possibilities really.

1) Exetel doesn't have enough ingress/egress bandwidth and this affects some ingress/egress paths (in the different States) at midnight when too many users start P2P downloads.

2) Exetel doesn't have enough IP bandwidth and this affects users in different States where we don't have enough IP bandwidth

3) One or more carriers don't have enough back haul from various exchanges in different States that can't cope with the volume of P2P downloads used by Exetel customers.

On balance 1) is the most likely because, as far as we can tell, the people who complain about 'slow downs at midnight are overwhelmingly Optus ADSL2 users (this doesn't mean that Powertel ADSL2 and Telstra ADSL1 users aren't affected) just that the 'noise' made by complainers appears to be predominantly Optus ADSL2 users.

So if we delay the mindless "although I have 12 hours a day to do downloads why don't I start them at 1 second past midnight" actions of relatively few people (and bear in mind even with over 4 gb of IP bandwidth and matching ingress/egress bandwidth it could take as little as 500 simultaneous P2P downloaders to swamp that very large amount of bandwidth) we can eliminate/prove Exetel's start of 'free downloads' as the cause of this undesirable scenario....something we should have done a long time ago in any case.

We would expect that from 1st August 2009 that by starting the free period later it will eliminate lack of ingress/egress provisioning as the cause completely and simply confirm that its unthinking customers starting P2P at midnight which we therefore have to deal with (we don't 'blame lack of IP provisioning because 33,000 Telstra ADSL1 users don't seem to have any 'midnight' problems.

We would expect that situation to do one other thing (in terms of all three carriers backhauls/exchange backhauls) which is to pinpoint the exchanges (of any carrier) that may be effected by insufficient back haul capacity.

trev12
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 pm
Location: geelong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by trev12 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 pm

On balance 1) is the most likely because, as far as we can tell, the people who complain about 'slow downs at midnight are overwhelmingly Optus ADSL2 users (this doesn't mean that Powertel ADSL2 and Telstra ADSL1 users aren't affected) just that the 'noise' made by complainers appears to be predominantly Optus ADSL2 users.

So if we delay the mindless "although I have 12 hours a day to do downloads why don't I start them at 1 second past midnight" actions of relatively few people (and bear in mind even with over 4 gb of IP bandwidth and matching ingress/egress bandwidth it could take as little as 500 simultaneous P2P downloaders to swamp that very large amount of bandwidth) we can eliminate/prove Exetel's start of 'free downloads' as the cause of this undesirable scenario....something we should have done a long time ago in any case

so couldnt u get rid of optus as they seem to be the main cause and put all on telstra or powertel ? or would that cost to much ?

D0R0THY
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Outer Melbourne

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by D0R0THY » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
..unthinking customers starting P2P at midnight which we therefore have to deal with (we don't 'blame lack of IP provisioning because 33,000 Telstra ADSL1 users don't seem to have any 'midnight' problems.)

Excuse my post, not sure how to use this forum properly yet. Just thought that I would note: I am a Telstra ADSL1 user, but not a torrent downloader, or a downloader much of anything other than Youtube occasionally. Those occasions when I've been up late and tried to use Youtube at midnight+ has been a nightmare, so the slowdown after midnight has affected me. I didn't change to the 2am-12midday option because I'm not even up at 2am, so I lose the 2 hours also, but I'm not complaining, maybe Youtube will work for me now with a couple of extra hours before downloaders kick in.

Only been with you a month Exetel and I'm still happy. Thank you.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 pm

trev12 wrote:
so couldnt u get rid of optus as they seem to be the main cause and put all on telstra or powertel ? or would that cost to much ?
No - and I must have explained what I was trying to say very badly.

But, for whatever reason we have made the decisons we have made and irrespective of what any individual thinks we should have done we have, as always. done the best we can with our knowledge and abilities.

I can't add anything else.

Locked