Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
Dabront
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:21 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Dabront » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 pm

This is no problem for me as I only use around 30% of the quota Exetel give me, but could I ask (just out of curiosity) what the reason was behind reducing the window to 10 hours? If there is the potential for network congestion between midday and 2pm then I understand the reasoning, but if there will be future options to change the window to a 2pm finish then what is the reason for the ten hour block?

Lik
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Perth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Lik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Greate. Another rip off. Firstly change of start of off-peak period from 10pm to 12am for WA users and now another 2 hrs later (4hrs later than when I signed up) and off peak period shorter. What about give something in exchange. Increase peak allowance by 1GB or something? I will consider changing the provider when my contract finishes. Forum admin will probably tell me “Good bay” as to somebody in the other forum, when he wanted to change ISP. Exetel really values its customers…

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Dabront wrote:This is no problem for me as I only use around 30% of the quota Exetel give me, but could I ask (just out of curiosity) what the reason was behind reducing the window to 10 hours? If there is the potential for network congestion between midday and 2pm then I understand the reasoning, but if there will be future options to change the window to a 2pm finish then what is the reason for the ten hour block?
The off peak period and the allowance has constantly changed since we introduced it in March 2004.

There will undoubtedly be future changes - but what/if they may be, and when/if, I have no basis for estimating.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Lik wrote:Greate. Another rip off.
The users weren't saying that when quotas went from 48GB to 54GB. or 54GB to 60GB.. Ripped off, right?

Lik
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Perth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Lik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:29 pm

JasonM wrote:
Lik wrote:Greate. Another rip off.
The users weren't saying that when quotas went from 48GB to 54GB. or 54GB to 60GB.. Ripped off, right?
Well, of course not. That’s improving the service. Even if it doesn’t make any difference for me with my few GB off peak. I am not P2P maniac. Peak is what matters to me probably same as for +- 90% of users.

dunnowhathuh
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by dunnowhathuh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Hmmm, guess there's no chance of extending the peak time allowance with this change eh? I know 2 hours might not seem like much but I do a lot of non P2P related downloads when midnight hits. With uni starting up again, I'll either be asleep or not at home during the non peak hours. Oh well, guess we can't all be winners when it comes to changes that need to be done.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?

droctagon3k
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by droctagon3k » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:00 pm

What a load of BS. One of the reasons people i know as well as I myself, signed up to Exetel is because of great features like 12 hours of of off peak time. Now Exetel reduces it to 10 hours, with some BS excuse about automated downloading programs etc etc. What a crok of S*%t, isn't it going to be the exact same problem then, only at 2am not 12am??????????

I think it has more to do with hey we are getting more and more customers, lets slowly cash in and start making more money / have to do less for our customers. Pull your finger out Exetel, and don't forget why and how you grew so quickly as a company, don't give me this BS.

paul5666
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by paul5666 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 pm

When i got this email, i was surprised.
Did i read correctly? My hours just got cut and i remember a long thread with many people proposing different options about off-peak times and exetel gave users a choice to select one out of the 3 options.

10 hours is still a long time for me and probably wont affect me at all, but, I do ask, what is exetel's reasoning behind this change so soon after another previous change not so long ago.

Godde
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:21 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Godde » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Thank You~!
I think it is a sensible solution to the midnight congestion.

Lik
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Perth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Lik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:27 pm

JasonM wrote:OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?
You probably go to the customer service desk in supermarket complaining about items on special. Do you? :lol:

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:38 pm

droctagon3k wrote:What a load of BS. One of the reasons people i know as well as I myself, signed up to Exetel is because of great features like 12 hours of of off peak time. Now Exetel reduces it to 10 hours, with some BS excuse about automated downloading programs etc etc. What a crok of S*%t, isn't it going to be the exact same problem then, only at 2am not 12am??????????

I think it has more to do with hey we are getting more and more customers, lets slowly cash in and start making more money / have to do less for our customers. Pull your finger out Exetel, and don't forget why and how you grew so quickly as a company, don't give me this BS.
Rubbish. If you have 1000 users all trying to use an otherwise adequate resource, the sensible thing to do is to encourage an even spread, some users are really affected by the automated downloads of others - solution - move the automated downloads to a heavily underused timeframe.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Lik wrote:
JasonM wrote:OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?
You probably go to the customer service desk in supermarket complaining about items on special. Do you? :lol:
I find it amazing you claim you were 'ripped off' when in reality, the service has increased in value dramatically.. The only set back is you have to schedule your automatic downloads 2 hours later, when it isn't likely to affect as many users as it currently does at 12am.

a7r3ides
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by a7r3ides » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:43 pm

droctagon3k wrote:What a load of BS. One of the reasons people i know as well as I myself, signed up to Exetel is because of great features like 12 hours of of off peak time. Now Exetel reduces it to 10 hours, with some BS excuse about automated downloading programs etc etc. What a crok of S*%t, isn't it going to be the exact same problem then, only at 2am not 12am??????????

I think it has more to do with hey we are getting more and more customers, lets slowly cash in and start making more money / have to do less for our customers. Pull your finger out Exetel, and don't forget why and how you grew so quickly as a company, don't give me this BS.
i think it was because they were receiving complaints about it that they had to move it back to 2am when most people would be asleep. but i don't know the reason behind off peak being shortened, perhaps they can't afford it any more, or perhaps they're just greedy? (but i don't think so, exetel wouldn't do that... right?).

paul5666
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by paul5666 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Jason, im wondering, whats the reason for not having the hours go from 2-2 then?
Is there a reason to cut back the hours?

Locked