Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
Lik
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Perth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Lik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 pm

JasonM wrote:
Lik wrote:
JasonM wrote:OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?
You probably go to the customer service desk in supermarket complaining about items on special. Do you? :lol:
I find it amazing you claim you were 'ripped off' when in reality, the service has increased in value dramatically.. The only set back is you have to schedule your automatic downloads 2 hours later, when it isn't likely to affect as many users as it currently does at 12am.
I’ve never used automatic scheduled download in my life. Just for the record. My point is, I’ve signed up when off peak was from 10pm, so I could watch youtube, download bits and pieces, make some phone calls on the other half of the world and so on. Now I have off peak from 2am and just 10 hrs. So no wonder I am not happy.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 pm

a7r3ides wrote:
droctagon3k wrote:What a load of BS. One of the reasons people i know as well as I myself, signed up to Exetel is because of great features like 12 hours of of off peak time. Now Exetel reduces it to 10 hours, with some BS excuse about automated downloading programs etc etc. What a crok of S*%t, isn't it going to be the exact same problem then, only at 2am not 12am??????????

I think it has more to do with hey we are getting more and more customers, lets slowly cash in and start making more money / have to do less for our customers. Pull your finger out Exetel, and don't forget why and how you grew so quickly as a company, don't give me this BS.
i think it was because they were receiving complaints about it that they had to move it back to 2am when most people would be asleep. but i don't know the reason behind off peak being shortened, perhaps they can't afford it any more, or perhaps they're just greedy? (but i don't think so, exetel wouldn't do that... right?).
Yes, users were having problems with 12am time frame, just search this forum for 'midnight' or '12am' - that's just a small number of the issues.

Cutting back the hours - I'm not 100% certain - Perhaps 12pm - 2pm is a high activity time frame, and by extending off peak for all users to 2pm would create a new problem between 12pm and 2pm - users having more quota at their disposal during that time frame as opposed to 'peak'. I can think of a few reasons where traffic would be highest in the 12pm - 2pm period, if users were supplied this usage as off peak.

It's better than one alternative - blocking all ports above 1024 from 12am - 2am..

humanity
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Dandenong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 pm

JasonM wrote:
sixty4coupe wrote:I don't mind the shift of time, if you need to manage the network load, then do so, I understand.

But reducing the off peak hours, I signed up for 12, wouldn't that be a breach of contract?
That is a good question since the off-peak hours are not defined in the T&C and the "permission" that Exetel have given themselves is defined in their `Acceptable Use Policy` which it is reasonably to consider that a definition of services to be provided does not come under the title of `Acceptable Use`.

I do not see how going to a 0200-1200 off peak is going to provide me with a positive effect, there for I do not give consent for this change in the Agreement (3.14a). If Exetel wishes to proceed under the conditions of 3.1b; I would like a copy of the new Telecommunications Legislation changes they they are complying with as well as an answer to why they violated sections 3.2aii and 3.2aiii.

To be clear, I will accept a 0200-1400 off-peak time.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Lik wrote: I’ve never used automatic scheduled download in my life. Just for the record. My point is, I’ve signed up when off peak was from 10pm, so I could watch youtube, download bits and pieces, make some phone calls on the other half of the world and so on. Now I have off peak from 2am and just 10 hrs. So no wonder I am not happy.
No, it was from 12am NSW time. That just happened to be 10pm where you are located.. Then, as the network is now decentralised for many users (i.e. your internet connection is likely terminated in WA, the usage should reflect that, so 12am in WA time).
The next change is moving off peak ahead 2 hours, to 2am, to avert the 12am issues and manage the network so users aren't affected.

You can still YouTube at 10pm, 11pm, 12am, 1am and 2am - however the quota that is consumed will be your standard quota, and not the off peak period.

willhoy1
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: stanthorpe, qld

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by willhoy1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 pm

I am going to be blunt, but what was the point of bothering to fight initially in the forums for what a good majority seemed to want, (which we got - selection of off-peak) if exetel is only going to change it to what suits them anyway?

Ok, given it was a trial of the new off-peak 'user select' times, and honestly, 10 hour change to offpeak is just another grab at the obvious... I am just perturbed that you (Exetel) ask us what we want, then do what you probably intended to anyway, what was the point of asking to begin with....??? In my eyes, it seems it never mattered what anyone wanted.

This only fixes the midnight 'bandwidth peak' by moving it back to a 2am 'bandwidth peak'.... Which is not fixing the problem at all, kinda like sweeping it under a rug really... Go figure...

Perhaps this comes about because of those users that never visit the forums, never changed from 2am to 2pm and without concern for others just left it roll at 12am... :x




D
Last edited by willhoy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

a7r3ides
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by a7r3ides » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

JasonM wrote: Yes, users were having problems with 12am time frame, just search this forum for 'midnight' or '12am' - that's just a small number of the issues.

Cutting back the hours - I'm not 100% certain - Perhaps 12pm - 2pm is a high activity time frame, and by extending off peak for all users to 2pm would create a new problem between 12pm and 2pm - users having more quota at their disposal during that time frame as opposed to 'peak'. I can think of a few reasons where traffic would be highest in the 12pm - 2pm period, if users were supplied this usage as off peak.

It's better than one alternative - blocking all ports above 1024 from 12am - 2am..
good enough explanation for me, thanks. i suppose you could limit the speed from 12am to 2am, something similar to shaping? just curious, i don't really want it to happen.

edit: and i don't mean to 56k speeds lol
Last edited by a7r3ides on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm

humanity wrote:
JasonM wrote:
sixty4coupe wrote:I don't mind the shift of time, if you need to manage the network load, then do so, I understand.

But reducing the off peak hours, I signed up for 12, wouldn't that be a breach of contract?
That is a good question since the off-peak hours are not defined in the T&C and the "permission" that Exetel have given themselves is defined in their `Acceptable Use Policy` which it is reasonably to consider that a definition of services to be provided does not come under the title of `Acceptable Use`.

I do not see how going to a 0200-1200 off peak is going to provide me with a positive effect, there for I do not give consent for this change in the Agreement (3.14a). If Exetel wishes to proceed under the conditions of 3.1b; I would like a copy of the new Telecommunications Legislation changes they they are complying with as well as an answer to why they violated sections 3.2aii and 3.2aiii.

To be clear, I will accept a 0200-1400 off-peak time.
OK, I'll bite..
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php
9. Downloads in the Off Peak period
9.1 c)
# c) Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.

And so it is done.

paul5666
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by paul5666 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Jason, why weren't offpeak hours retained at 12hrs by moving everyone to 2-2?
Is it becuase you have a provision to maintain enough bandwidth for 12p-12a?

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 pm

paul5666 wrote:Is it becuase you have a provision to maintain enough bandwidth for 12p-12a?
I don't know the circumstances behind the decision, perhaps Management's predictions forecast the 12pm - 2pm period would be busier, and rather than allowing users to saturate that by arming them with off peak quota, the decision seemed better to have the off peak time finish at 12pm, and thereby implementing a 'control' measure so users control their own usage after 12pm to the limits of the peak allowances?

i.e. 10,000 users with 60GB are going to download more compared to 10,000 with 24GB.

paul5666
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by paul5666 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks.
Maybe send word to your boss that 2-2 would make a lot of people happier :mrgreen:

soaper
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by soaper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 pm

willhoy1 wrote: This only fixes the midnight 'bandwidth peak' by moving it back to a 2am 'bandwidth peak'.... Which is not fixing the problem at all, kinda like sweeping it under a rug really... Go figure...

Perhaps this comes about because of those users that never visit the forums, never changed from 2am to 2pm and without concern for others just left it roll at 12am... :x

Confused, frustrated, annoyed, and last post to any exetel forum..... I will no longer just continue to be a slave to whatever changes you (Exetel) make....


D
by moving the slow down to 2 am .......more people, like myself for example, will be able to use the internet and watch Iview or youtube after 12mn without 256 speeds.
that fixes it for some of us.
another group wont care........they will simply program to download later.
what the heck does it matter what time the download happesn so long as it happens within 10 hours??

i visit forums, get mail updates, and changed my time to 2/2
i dont do heavy downloads but i do like to use the net after 12mn

i cant see why some machine willl care if it is programmed to download at 2 am instead of 12 mn

and no one has been able to tell me yet how a people manage to download so much that it takes more than 10 hours a night.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

soaper wrote:
i visit forums, get mail updates, and changed my time to 2/2
i dont do heavy downloads but i do like to use the net after 12mn

i cant see why some machine willl care if it is programmed to download at 2 am instead of 12 mn

and no one has been able to tell me yet how a people manage to download so much that it takes more than 10 hours a night.
All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Exetel "citizen".

So they keep a 12 hour download period.

Some1onearth
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Somewhere on earth

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Some1onearth » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm not happy with this. Though I tend to get some speed issues whenever it hits 12am whenever I'm playing Warcraft III: TFT and my brother usually gets slower download speeds at that time as well, I still don't approve of cutting the hours and the forced pushing back the time to 2am. I've never used automated downloads either, just stayed up that long so I could download big files whenever I did.

I guess it's time for me to shop for another ISP that can compete with Exetel's bandwidth and/or off-peak hours. Though that is rather hard. Ever since 2006 I thought I found a gem, I guess it's value is slowly decreasing as more people find it.

I probably will stay with Exetel anyway...simply because from my last search, I see TPG as the only other actual competitor. However staying with you guys now is getting on my nerves a bit, since I don't want to see the off-peak hours lessen further.

And I realise this is to stop the speed issues at 12am but I still don't like it.

Tigger
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:10 pm
Location: TAS

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Tigger » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
sparkles wrote:thanks guys for the fact that we will have options again once it is all sorted out. i like going to 2 in the afternoon- lets me have a sleep in in the mornings
Hopefully you will be rewarded for your original consideration.
That response does not sound too encouraging. Exetel announced quite some time back that we would have the option of changing our off-peak from 12am-12pm to either 1am-1pm or 2am-2pm - we then waited for this to come into effect. It seems that no sooner have I changed to the 2am-2pm option than I am advised that I will lose those last two hours. This is disappointing and I question whether enough time has been allowed to assess the effectiveness of this trial.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Tigger wrote:
That response does not sound too encouraging. Exetel announced quite some time back that we would have the option of changing our off-peak from 12am-12pm to either 1am-1pm or 2am-2pm - we then waited for this to come into effect. It seems that no sooner have I changed to the 2am-2pm option than I am advised that I will lose those last two hours. This is disappointing and I question whether enough time has been allowed to assess the effectiveness of this trial.
I have played a large part in running Exetel for well over five years by working 12 hours a day (or much more on occasions) 7 days a week minus some 3 or 4 weeks each year to recover from the exhaustion that work load imposes.

I think I understand, better than ANYONE else what to do in terms of providing the best possible ADSL service at the best possible price.

Perhaps I'm wrong in that view - however if I am then I will have to live with that.

Locked