Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 am

Yoshi667 wrote:
jokiin wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:@ jokiin

Do you ever get anywhere near using your peak quota though?
no, a big month I might get to 50% of my quota, 30% is probably more like it, I don't use P2P at all though which is where I'm guessing most people that are complaining are using a large slice of their quota
I'm glad you are happy with your usage and I only wish mine said 30% most months and 50% on big months but as stated my family is large and mainly consists of gamers and gaming is a big drain on quota, when you factor in patches, VoIP etc it gets to being alot can reach up to 800MB a day (that's without downloading anything else) and considering Exetel doesn't offer a place to download patches free of quota or have a gaming network that will be free of quota there really is not way around it.

But that's not the point, the point is why we are not all getting treated as equals? To which no answer has been given.
Well, judging by your usage, you've never used more than 33% of your off peak usage, and mostly use only 66% of your peak usage, so this change will have no affect on you.

john.d
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by john.d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:47 am

Yes, also the staffers are saying those people are rewarded for the their forward thinking.

The truth is they were just thinking of themselves.

Also as stated in the previous letter, that the matter was now resolved.
And the thing that was gather is to let people have a choice.

If they had sent a letter after, that stated anyone who would change would lose 2 hours of offpeak.
I think many would have changed before the month ended.

Instead they just do this dirty trick.
Took out the option prior to announce/email.
And punishing those people.

And letting the people who change it, keep their 12 hours, and calling it a reward.
=
At the end of the day.

All this comes down to is this.
We want to be treated fairly as everyone else.

Just give us the same 2am - 2pm off peak.
Last edited by john.d on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:49 am

James wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:
James wrote:

Hi Yoshi,

You don't have a great deal?

I just did a check, and couldn't see anything better than what you have.

James
Are you sure that plan is the right one this time? Because that is what I was talking about. And I think you fail to take into account the whole reason for this debate, it's not about whether you are the best ISP in Australia (definitely not the world) but about treating people equally.
You really haven't read any of the previous comments have you? If so I am wondering how the other many pages of comments has eluded you and how even one comment with the main point of fairness has missed your obvious eagle eyes.


There is no debate, the change has been made, and some customers were rewarded for their forward thinking, just like the customers in early 2004 who joined a brand new ISP, who now get $12.50 off their monthly bill. Next you'll probably ask us to pass that onto everyone?
Well if you are offering...But in all serious no I won't, the changes were implemented BEFORE I joined Exetel, these changes are happening now, actually they haven't happened yet, as your email states that on the 1st of August it will change, so why can't you change it to make everyone who is a customer of Exetel AT THE MOMENT on the same peak/offpeak? You would make alot of people happy.

Do you honestly have something against this idea? If you do I am at a loss as to why and yet if you don't I am at a loss as to why you would not at least talk to someone higher in the corporate chain to try and convince or at least voice our opinions and suggestions, rather than opening up a forum, being rude and offering us the "if you don't like it, look somewhere" or the "We are the greatest ISP in Australia" line in response to our very valid questions.

john.d
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by john.d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 am

JasonM wrote:
humanity wrote:
JasonM wrote: the change isn't likely to negatively impact you based on your 'current usage'.
You can guarantee that it wont by giving everyone the 2-2 off-peak.
.. Which would only get retracted at a later date, when everyone decides that they will move downloading from 2am to 12pm - 2pm.
The usage isn't equal for those who stayed on 12am - 12pm as they are being given a 'thank you'.
Take the example James posted about the pioneer discount. This isn't much different.
The changes to the new off peak period were not reasonably known back when the new time slots were offered, those who changed clearly are being rewarded for their efforts, those that simply 'didn't know' or 'didn't care' are getting the default.

Much like those who 'didn't know' or 'didn't care' about Exetel in 2004, who aren't getting the pioneer discount (that includes me, so am I being punished for being ignorant of the (back then) new provider? - Or is it simply my fault for failing to research the offered alternatives ?)
No, since most people started downloading at 2am. Then the downloads would have finished earlier than that.
Using your argument/logic, then there would as much usage at 10am-12pm.

hbfix2
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:12 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by hbfix2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:52 am

James or Jason,

If say 90% of users had indeed opted to change offpeak times to 2 - 2, would that have fixed the problem or just shifted it?

It would certainly have fixed the problem for gameplayers and youtubers, but wouldn't the autodownloader problem have just continued?

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 am

Yoshi667 wrote:
Well if you are offering...But in all serious no I won't, the changes were implemented BEFORE I joined Exetel, these changes are happening now, actually they haven't happened yet, as your email states that on the 1st of August it will change, so why can't you change it to make everyone who is a customer of Exetel AT THE MOMENT on the same peak/offpeak? You would make alot of people happy.

Do you honestly have something against this idea? If you do I am at a loss as to why and yet if you don't I am at a loss as to why you would not at least talk to someone higher in the corporate chain to try and convince or at least voice our opinions and suggestions, rather than opening up a forum, being rude and offering us the "if you don't like it, look somewhere" or the "We are the greatest ISP in Australia" line in response to our very valid questions.

You were given a response by Forumadmin who is as high as the chain goes, and having known him a little while, I must say he rarely changes his mind.

JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 am

john.d wrote: No, since most people started downloading at 2am. Then the downloads would have finished earlier than that.
Using your argument/logic, then there would as much usage at 10am-12pm.
There are many other reasons to NOT offer 12pm - 2pm as off peak. As I said previously, to ensure users moderate their own usage at that particular time frame.

humanity
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Dandenong

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by humanity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am

James wrote:Forumadmin who is as high as the chain goes, and having known him a little while, I must say he rarely changes his mind.
*sigh* I was hoping that wasn't so. Is there no one else?

john.d
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by john.d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am

JasonM wrote:
john.d wrote: No, since most people started downloading at 2am. Then the downloads would have finished earlier than that.
Using your argument/logic, then there would as much usage at 10am-12pm.
There are many other reasons to NOT offer 12pm - 2pm as off peak. As I said previously, to ensure users moderate their own usage at that particular time frame.
I don't understand what you mean by this.
The argument still doesn't hold, since the same could be said for 10am-12pm.
Last edited by john.d on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am

humanity wrote:
James wrote:Forumadmin who is as high as the chain goes, and having known him a little while, I must say he rarely changes his mind.
*sigh* I was hoping that wasn't so. Is there no one else?
Ummmm, not much higher than the CEO/majority shareholder.

Yoshi667
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Woolgoolga

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by Yoshi667 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 am

James wrote:
Well, judging by your usage, you've never used more than 33% of your off peak usage, and mostly use only 66% of your peak usage, so this change will have no affect on you.
Did you happen to see April?
No matter what you say this WILL have an effect on me just like everybody else. And just because I don't use that much of my off-peak does that mean I am not entitled to the 12hrs that other people are getting? Even though I am obviously a "good citizen" and do not contribute to the 12am peak crisis? And also that I am on ADSL1 in a no-name town on Telstra lines, which also would definitely not contribute to the 12am peak.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 am

humanity wrote:
JasonM wrote:Are you simply looking for 2am - 2pm as YOUR off peak time, despite already managing your usage to fit within the limits of the plan imposed?
Or would you rather ForumAdmin withdrew the generous offer and now, keep all users at 2am - 12pm instead?
I would like the same treatment as all other customers, be it 2am - 2pm or 2am - 12pm.
As I said, the CEO has made his decision, and I doubt ht will change his mind.

hbfix2
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:12 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by hbfix2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 am

Users were not given the opportunity to make an 'informed choice' on the matter of benefits arising from changing to 2am -2pm

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 am

James wrote:
Yoshi667 wrote:I'm glad you are happy with your usage and I only wish mine said 30% most months and 50% on big months but as stated my family is large and mainly consists of gamers and gaming is a big drain on quota, when you factor in patches, VoIP etc it gets to being alot can reach up to 800MB a day (that's without downloading anything else) and considering Exetel doesn't offer a place to download patches free of quota or have a gaming network that will be free of quota there really is not way around it.

But that's not the point, the point is why we are not all getting treated as equals? To which no answer has been given.
Well, judging by your usage, you've never used more than 33% of your off peak usage, and mostly use only 66% of your peak usage, so this change will have no affect on you.
Well that has blown Yoshi667's pathetic arguement out of the water as it would for 99% of the morons crying here! The change will have little to no impact on anyone's current usage!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by James » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 am

hbfix2 wrote:Users were not given the opportunity to make an 'informed choice' on the matter of benefits arising from changing to 2am -2pm
And your point is? The off peak bonus is just that, a bonus, and can be amended at anytime, which historically has been increased substantially, the generous quota remains the same you just have slightly less time to use it in.

Locked