Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
johnmatrix

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 am

I would just like to know if I am going to be rewarded for not complaining when Exetel charged me TWICE (2 x $25) for the HSPA connection fee when it was first offered, when I shouldn't have been charged at all since I was an existing ADSL customer? I can't help but feel a little bit cheated that I am now being lumped in with the default-setting-scum of Exetel.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:07 am

john.d wrote:
humanity wrote: None, but then I don't know how much any company donates to charities. That is very generous of Exetel for doing that, can they donate a fair-go to its customers who feel wrong?
+1
Agreed.
We didn't do anything wrong.
Why should we get punished?
OK, what did you do that was 'right' compared to the users who did change to 2am - note, 'not knowing' and 'not researching' are just ignorance, and not really reasonable excuses. Exetel did mail all customers to schedule downloads at 2am.. Didn't happen. Offer them a longer off peak period to 2pm, they didn't take it.
Push off peak to 2am, and remove the 12pm - 2pm period, and they spend days crying over it.

No matter how 'different' the planning was, the customers here would still find fault and still complain about it. The change is perceived as detrimental despite having no or very minimal impact on the customers involved. The off peak allowance is still very generous, and no one is actually 'losing' much of anything - because they have adequate usage available anyway.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:17 am

MikeMil wrote:I would be okay with that as well. I am okay with changes that are made to benefit the community. The thing that is annoying me, humanity, and a fair few others is that some people are being treated better than others. And they are getting that treatment because they chose to change something that would be beneficial to them, not the community.
Jealosy is a curse!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 am

I know you want to "reward" your "Loyal" customers, but is there an actual downside to providing everyone with the same hours? It seems like it would solve all these problems.

jintao

Post by jintao » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 am

[quote="ForumAdmin"]

All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Exetel "citizen".

So they keep a 12 hour download period.[/quote]

I used to set my off peak from 2am-2pm, but since relocated this month my new plan does not give this option. Am I still qualify as a good "citizen" to keep 12 hour period?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:14 am

rahul wrote:Hi Forum Admin

Just wanted to say that exetel is a great ISP, i would like to stay with exetel as long as i can, but i just had one queestion in mind.

I belive that previously we were given an option to pick off peak times. 12am 1am or 2am. I chose 12am-12pm so that i can help exetels bandwith during the peak business hours (12pm to 2pm) that many people may need to use their Adsl during critial business hours. I have done this with good faith (helping both exetel and its customers), so im just curious as to why i havnt made it to the list of "Good Citizens". Is there a specific time frame that i needed to have choosen to be a considered as a "Good Citizen"?

Just would like some clarifications on this.

Cheers
If you have chosen to move your off peak usage from 1 am to 1 pm or 2 am to 2 pm then you will retain that period.

If you haven't done that then from Ausgust 1st 2009 your 'off peak period' will be from 2 am to 12 noon.

peacefulwarrior

Post by peacefulwarrior » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:38 am

Just so I'm completely clear.......

I changed off-peak to the 0200-1400 hours option in June. The change came into effect this month.

So.......I get to keep the that off peak period correct?

Cheers,
PeacefulWarrior
P.S: There were just too many pages for me to read through them all so that's why I ask

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 am

peacefulwarrior wrote:I changed off-peak to the 0200-1400 hours option in June. The change came into effect this month.

So.......I get to keep the that off peak period correct?
Yes.

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 am

john.d wrote:How is cutting off 2 hours from 12-2pm helping network congestion?
Since you think you are so smart, please tell me.
Read the email you were sent:
there is a need to reduce the usage of the network bandwidth that now peaks at exactly midnight each day by people setting automated download managers to start at that time rather than at some later time.

ssperkvc

Post by ssperkvc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:50 am

Hi Exetel.

Just wondering if you can actually make this change come 1 August as your page for Offpeak Shaping still specifies 12 noon to 12 Midnight and this is supposedly in advance for the next month.
Surely you should be changing the wording and timings on this page prior to you changing any plan details as the shaping page makes absolutely no sense in terms of times and wording if the Offpeak period changes from 2am to Midday?
As the wording is incorrect I believe this should therefore delay your proposed offpeak change from 1 August to 1 September - this should give you time to get the wording and timing correct (as per legal contract requirements) on the shaping page. Thanks!!

Steven

LordS

Post by LordS » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 am

john.d wrote:Obviously I won't get any valid answer for my question..since you keep skidding the issue.
I'm glad common sense has prevailed :-)

ForumAdmin, aka the head honcho of Exetel has said what is happening. And is rarely one to change his opinion on anything.

Constantly posting in a thread he may not even be bothered to read all of (as he's already a ridiculously busy man) will achieve nothing - Mind you it does amuse me.

Things have changed, you struck out.

Deal with it and move on.

DWWood

Post by DWWood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 am

Personally the reduction in off-peak usage hours doesn't really effect me however I think maybe next time, the Exetel hierarchy should withhold a plan upgrade (i.e. increase in data allowances AM or PM, extra SMS/Voip etc) for when they need to advise of a plan down grade this way it's a trade off that will keep the punters from feeling they have been hard done by.

One question though - If it is found (which it may very well not be) that the adjustment to a 2am start across the board does not alleviate the congestion at Midnight will the off-peak times be returned to 12 hours whether it be 2am to 2pm?

Thanks D.W.

mily

Post by mily » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:31 am

James wrote:
hbfix2 wrote:Users were not given the opportunity to make an 'informed choice' on the matter of benefits arising from changing to 2am -2pm
And your point is? The off peak bonus is just that, a bonus, and can be amended at anytime, which historically has been increased substantially, the generous quota remains the same you just have slightly less time to use it in.
I have to say this issue is not only about the BONUS OFFPEAK TIME, by reducing the offpeak to 10 hours, the peak period is increased by 2 hours.

People keep saying why nobody feel grateful when offpeak was increased by 6 Giga or 12 Giga. First, that was an upgrading of service; Second, as you said, if we take offpeak as a BONUS from exetel (obviously most people won't think that way), our real service -- the peak quota, didn't change at all.

However this time, not just offpeak is adjusted, we get 60~62 hours more on peak time with no pro-rata extra quota.

And also being discriminated treated is another concern. Nobody will complain not being treated as a "pioneer", coz all people joined and kept in before some day 2004 get that offer/honor, not just some of them. However this time, we were all the same, but now some of us are called "good citizen" and get awarded, which means the other customers are at least not as good as those. I can't agree with this simple decision. People may think 2~2 suit their personal needs better and then they switch to that period, however some other might want to keep the old off-peak time for a BETTER DISTRIBUTION of off-peak time, which is what Exetel expected (from my own understading), but they are punished, or not being awarded as good thinking forward.

Even I don't use up both off-peak and peak quota, I still want to be treated equitably. To me, either same offpeak period or pro-rata quota adjustment is preferable. And please, don't call me "bad citizen" because I have different opinion from higher Exetel staffs.

ssperkvc

Post by ssperkvc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 am

Exetel's Contract Terms and Conditions Point 9 a) and I quote (as of today 20/7/2009 11:40am) state:

"Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient bandwidth between the hours of 2am the following day (Peak Period) to avoid conjestion during those hours"

What does this mean exactly??? If it is incorrect (which I think it is as it makes no sense to me) does this mean Exetel simply change the Contract and T&C's as they please with no regard to the customer?

Please explain and/or correct your misleading T&C's Exetel!;-) Whilst your at it - change the Peak/Offpeak times on the Pay or shape options page please!

Maybe Exetel is in breach of contract here!

Steven

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:55 am

ssperkvc wrote:Exetel's Contract Terms and Conditions Point 9 a) and I quote (as of today 20/7/2009 11:40am) state:
"Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient bandwidth between the hours of 2am the following day (Peak Period) to avoid conjestion during those hours"
Doesn't make too much sense does it. I suspect the intention is it keep the same statement as before and simply reflect the change in off-peak times. i.e. "Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient bandwidth for peak times to avoid congestion during those hours"
ssperkvc wrote:does this mean Exetel simply change the Contract and T&C's as they please with no regard to the customer?
No. Clause 3.1 - 3.3 explain repercussions of modifying the terms and conditions. They are either required to be of a certain form, or if not, Exetel are required to give customers the discretionary choice to terminate their contract.