Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 pm

rahul wrote:Have asked previosuly, why have i not been considered as a "Good Citizen".
There is no formal "good citizen" reward but currently there are informal rewards given to the initial set of customers who have been with Exetel since inception (they receive a Loyalty discount) and those users who voluntarily chose a 1am-1pm or 2am-2pm off-peak time before it was enforced get to retain it (because knowingly or unknowingly this aided Exetel's bandwidth management).

Despite any best intentions, those who retained the midnight-midday option have not aided Exetel. The midday-2pm period is not congested; it is the midnight to 2am that is/was the critical issue

trev12

Post by trev12 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:51 pm

i dont think this is the answer what needs to be done and its pretty hard is either 2 things put up your extra gig to about $15 a gig that way all these loaders will think twice and the second thing which i think be better charge upload as counting as download limit between 12am to 1am that way maybe ppl will stay clear of the 12am slot

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Schuby wrote: I'm sick of reading about this being compared to the pioneer discount as they are totally different!
They are similar in the respect that their implementation and application is decided exclusively by Exetel's Management.

For better or worse, and for rational or irrational reasons, such rewards have been implemented. While it is useful for users to give their opinions (after all, much benefit has arisen due to user feedback) it is not useful to reiterate reasoning or threats that have already been thoroughly represented by prior comments. I think that management have more than enough information from the current 27 pages of posts and I doubt that any further posts are going to serve any useful purpose.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 pm

trev12 wrote:put up your extra gig to about $15 a gig that way all these loaders will think twice
This is unlikely to make any difference. The current issue of congestion is caused by lots of users, each within their download quota, starting downloads at the same time. Not from excess usage.
trev12 wrote:and the second thing which i think be better charge upload as counting as download limit between 12am to 1am that way maybe ppl will stay clear of the 12am slot
Possibly a bit arbitrary. Also, while is might prevent P2P traffic it would be a rather trivial matter to limit downloads to particular speeds (including a capped upstream) for midnight to 2am and then after 2am let it roar at full speed. Also, a substantial proportion of downloads are non P2P based and do not require uploads. Thus, the issue of congestion would possibly remain.

For the benefit of all posters on this thread (and others) I have started a new thread: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=288&t=32874. This thread will be dedicated to alternative proposals on how Exetel could manage the issue of off-peak congestion

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:22 pm

ausgnome wrote:Nor were any of these issues raised with new customers when they first joined.
It is impossible for Exetel, or anybody, to predict the future. This is an unfortunate alteration to plans that was deemed necessary by Exetel management.
ausgnome wrote:And as to this read the forums it states quite clearly on the forums
"Statements made on this forum do not constitute any "official" Exetel position.
so why bother
People "bother" because it is primarily a user support forum where users can help other users to solve their problems. While it may not be "official" it still serves a very useful purpose in providing unofficial feedback and answers to critical issues.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:28 pm

There is nothing more that can be said on a forum like this that hasn't already been said already - many times.

Further comments would be pointless.

Thread closed.