Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
philled

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by philled » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm

This is my first post to these forums as I've only been an Exetel customer for about a month. One of the reasons I joined Exetel was because of the great reputation they seem to have to always do the right thing by their customers and I saw examples of increased data allowances etc. I guess this change isn't going to effect me too much, but I am having a few nervous thoughts as the 1st change I see as a customer is a reduction in off-peak hours from 12 to 10. I hope I haven't signed up just as Exetel are turning into a "normal" ISP - that would be just my luck!

Rex Nebular

Post by Rex Nebular » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Exetel "citizen".

So they keep a 12 hour download period.
The same amount of hours as before and no midnight lag, sounds great to me.

Of course not everyone who wants 12 hours made the switch, so expect a lot of people saying "unfair!".

sparkles

Post by sparkles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Dear forum admin,
thankyou for allowing the people to have the 12 hours who had changed previously- :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :D :D

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
soaper wrote:
i visit forums, get mail updates, and changed my time to 2/2
i dont do heavy downloads but i do like to use the net after 12mn

i cant see why some machine willl care if it is programmed to download at 2 am instead of 12 mn

and no one has been able to tell me yet how a people manage to download so much that it takes more than 10 hours a night.
All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for bing a good Extel "citizen".

My faith in extetel is renewed, should this be true. (with exception to those unfortunate people that genuinely do not abuse the system and did not change over for whatever reason that be, but definately a good way to weed out the few)
Last edited by willhoy1 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
soaper wrote:
i visit forums, get mail updates, and changed my time to 2/2
i dont do heavy downloads but i do like to use the net after 12mn

i cant see why some machine willl care if it is programmed to download at 2 am instead of 12 mn

and no one has been able to tell me yet how a people manage to download so much that it takes more than 10 hours a night.
All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for bing a good Extel "citizen".

So to the rest of us that passively elected to retain the 12-12 settings (perhaps because they were more suited to our life styles) we get passed over.

Some1onearth

Post by Some1onearth » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Rex Nebular wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Exetel "citizen".

Of course not everyone who wants 12 hours made the switch, so expect a lot of people saying "unfair!".
I liked the 12am-12pm period even though there was speed issues at 12am, but I didn't think not switching would cause me to lose my 12 hours. The email sent out about the options of changing off-peak never mentioned anything about helping the speed issues at 12am, so I don't see why those who didn't switch should be punished.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Some1onearth wrote:
Rex Nebular wrote:

I liked the 12am-12pm period even though there was speed issues at 12am, but I didn't think not switching would cause me to lose my 12 hours. The email sent out about the options of changing off-peak never mentioned anything about helping the speed issues at 12am, so I don't see why those who didn't switch should be punished.

I believe if one had taken an active approach to the original forum postings about the speed change, then they would know all about it, having said that you may have a valid point for the admin to consider... I believe they are doing this for people that actively contributed to prevention, but please feel free to prove me wrong.
Last edited by willhoy1 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Some1onearth wrote:
Rex Nebular wrote:

They aren't being punished, those who chose to shift traffic would be 'rewarded', the others are getting a traffic realignment from August.

MikeMil

Post by MikeMil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 pm

droctagon3k wrote:What a load of BS. One of the reasons people i know as well as I myself, signed up to Exetel is because of great features like 12 hours of of off peak time. Now Exetel reduces it to 10 hours, with some BS excuse about automated downloading programs etc etc. What a crok of S*%t, isn't it going to be the exact same problem then, only at 2am not 12am??????????

I think it has more to do with hey we are getting more and more customers, lets slowly cash in and start making more money / have to do less for our customers. Pull your finger out Exetel, and don't forget why and how you grew so quickly as a company, don't give me this BS.
I'm sorry, I may not agree with droctagon3ks wording, but I cant help feeling the same way. I work at a computer store, and am constantly recommending Exetel to people because they are constantly improving the service in various ways. Dont get me wrong, I love Exetel, but this is the first time I have felt like something went backwards.
Rex Nebular wrote:

I am one of them. When I got the email about the option to change off peak/on peak times I sensed nothing whatsoever that it was something that would benefit the Exetel community if I changed. So I didn't, and now well, I guess I'm not being punished for it, but If i had gone with the change (and I more likely would have if I had an inkling it was better for everyone) I would have been "rewarded" with the same amount of off-peak hours as I always had.

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Some1onearth wrote: I liked the 12am-12pm period even though there was speed issues at 12am, but I didn't think not switching would cause me to lose my 12 hours. The email sent out about the options of changing off-peak never mentioned anything about helping the speed issues at 12am, so I don't see why those who didn't switch should be punished.
I'm the same. I accepted the "midnight slowdown" as part of the deal.

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 pm

JasonM wrote: OK, I'll bite..
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php
9. Downloads in the Off Peak period
9.1 c)
# c) Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.

And so it is done.
I thought you'd bring that up, unfortunately all 24 hours are accounted for.
00:00 - 12:00 Off-Peak Quota
12:00 - 00:00 Peak Quota

So you are quite welcome to change the times which are not counted towards a quota, right now we don't get any.
The off-peak period does not qualify as "not counted towards the quota".

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 pm

You selectively ignored this:
or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:41 pm

JasonM wrote:You selectively ignored this:

and you forgot
so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.
anyway, we're discussing off peak / peak times here, not the actual quotas so please stay on topic.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Big thankyou to Forum admin for all of his/her hard work in presenting us all with such a great service over the years of sleep deprivation.

Big thankyou to JasonM for all of his devoted time to Tech support and forum assistance...

Ok, i am NOT sucking up, but as a genuine thought, It is good to see common sense prevailing.
It is great to see a company with excellent employee's who are willing to point out, and stand up with the individual at heart.

D

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 pm

humanity wrote:
JasonM wrote:You selectively ignored this:

and you forgot
so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.
anyway, we're discussing off peak / peak times here, not the actual quotas so please stay on topic.
Sure thing, contact me via our official support channels (one which doesn't have the bright yellow disclaimer at the top), and perhaps we can have the view of enforcing some other popular terms in the contract you accepted.