Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
JasonM

Re: Change In Off Peak/Peak Times

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm not reading your full post any more after reading you suggest this is a money grabbing attempt.

Again, there is no 'savings' to be had, or any extra 'profit' made by moving the off peak period.
The gains are purely with users having issues in the midnight time frame where everyone insists on starting their scheduled traffic, so the solution is to force that to 2am - thereby reducing the impact.

The spending on the links won't change, the utilisation of the link will, to everyone's benefit.

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Tigger wrote: Just asking the question, which I thought was the purpose of the forum. Which of course you have answered - I know better than the lot of you and will continue to do as I see fit. Seems little point in anyone posting any further comments to this thread unless they support the move.
i rooooly think that this 12mn issue was endlessly discussed .......for quite some time.
some like myself did not like with how things were for us.
we commented
we didnt wake up with no connection next day........or any such other negative occurring to us ....simply because a different thought was expressed..
i was personally looking for another ISP on and off for quite a while because of the 12 mn issue.
but where else would i get such a good deal.???
the answer is.........nowhere.

so i am personally very glad that it has been resolved.
i am not stupid enough to think that my one connection and my small payment each month, if withdrawn to another provider, would stop FA having his next meal.

i think that management is quite singular in that they will wade thro all the stuff that gets written , positive and negative........and still manage to retain enough sanity to run the business daily. dont know how they manage it myself.

courtesy of another forum and not aimed at anyone specifically ................http://i28.tinypic.com/10zzd41.jpg

ETA..ummmmmm without a direct connection to the other forum the emoticon sort of looses its power.....it is meant to jiggle back and forth and say *CHILL PILL*
you get the drift i hope
Last edited by soaper on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:51 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
humanity wrote:So are you saying that we should shut up and accept this change or else you're going to make our lives difficult?
I am all for constructive debate (aka arguing) so long as it is concise and on-topic. I would suggest that you not clog this particular thread with this off-topic legalese. Perhaps, if this is a topic you feel strongly about, you can begin a new thread for it (under Anything Else Anyone Wants To Discuss
thank you, your cooler head has better articulated what I tried to 30mins ago

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 pm

a lot of hate being generated toward Exetel for having to make a business decision, reality is it's a section of the customers that have caused this change to happen as they were ultimately affecting many more users than just the few that find it all unfair

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Yoshi667 wrote:.

My point is, I am in bed by 12am most nights, its a stretch for me to stay up to download stuff during the week if I need to, am off to work by 7am and am not home till 3pm at the earliest, when exactly do you propose I am even going to get to use my peak downloads? I don't really care if you increase the downloads anymore I didn't really care last time either, sure it was a nice surprise but I wasn't drooling, I don't use the amount I pay for, and probably couldn't, check my downloads past if you want, but I pay it for the large amount I get for peak knowing that is what I may use due to my household and gaming, hell right now I have 4 people connected to the internet on separate computers.
soooooooo
7am is still off peak
why dont u turn on whatever it is u turn on to download whatever, when u get up

?????????????????

and teach the people in your house responsibility in usage amount, if that is an issue

around my place if anyone younger than me usesd up the download.......gets added to the rent.

Lbucci

Post by Lbucci » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:09 pm

You don't remove the lag by moving to 2:00am as stated in the email... Exetel is just shifting the lag to 2 am...
Reduction in off peak from 12 hrs down to 10 hrs also does not remove lag or address customer needs.

Also stated best for customers. No one asked me about the change, which customers are you referring to?
Where is the research showing the required changes that the customers are demanding?

A very vague email to sell a reduction in services to the customers

What's the real reason here. Are users using to much quota? or is there another business reason with financial rewards?

Just tell us the truth

Mulder

Post by Mulder » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Just recently you allowed people to pick their off peak period and I opted for the 2am to 2pm. Im not even through the first month of this and you go and change it. The time I picked suited me perfectly as that extra 2 hours in the afternoon was great for my life style. Now you are effectively taking that 2 hours off me plus the 2 hours after midnight. I cant run my computer 24 hours a day as I have others in the house that would be affected by the computer noise. Sorry but this idea sucks the big one. Be offended but that is ny opinion. I dont want any changes to the downloading periods seeing that you didnt even give us one month of the new times before changing it.
Very bad exetel.
mulder

Yoshi667

Post by Yoshi667 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Seriously? That hurts. So because I put forward a plausible/possible reason for the change you aren't going to read and respond to the rest of my very valid questions? Because at the moment you seem to be validating the rest of the post (other than the money grabbing).
Am I in the wrong forum for Q&A? I put alot of time into writing that up to express how I feel in a civil manner and even tried not to just smash onto the keyboard to convey my rage and you aren't even going to read it, it's structured, it has grammar, albeit maybe not very good as I have not really had to use perfect grammar in years. I can break it up into smaller posts if it will make you happy, even edit it a bit.

Can I have some answers to the rest of my questions please? Or for that fact any of my questions please?
I get that it's not a money grabbing scheme now, thank you for clearing that up for me. Now how about the rest?
Mainly the part about letting me sign up to keep my 12hrs, which by the way would be a very good plan to offer, I mean if nobody is profiting from it why not offer it? Exetel looks like they are compromising, the people worried about their 12am downloads are happy and the rest of the customers are happy because they get to keep their 12hr slot. It makes you look good even though it was your idea from the start from when you first offered it and nobody wanted it :wink:

Here's the rest of the post because you said you stopped reading it:

"How can this go ahead? Surely there must be more people in my situation that are willing to put their hands up and fight? How can you not tailor it to peoples needs? And because people decided to change over to the 2am-2pm they get to keep their 12hrs? Will you also offer that to the new people that sign up? How is that justifiable? How is that fair to all of your other customers? Will they pay more? Will there be an option? Just because others accepted it last time because it didn't bother them they get special treatment? Isn't it blatantly obvious to anyone else that Exetel is becoming one of those companies that says "Do what we say and like it and you will get a cookie"? If that's the case and there is no other way out of it please sign me up for it, I wish to keep my 12hr downloads hell maybe I could work something out with being able to actually use them in that case. If not come round and fix my internet so that I may actually be able to get what I need in the off-peak period.

I guess what I really want to know is do I need to stop telling everyone who asks that Exetel has the best rates, the best service but most of all the best download limits and times that I know of and start looking somewhere else? You might think it's only one person but when you think that I am the person that everyone I know (and everyone they know) comes to for IT advice you can guess how many people I have referred to Exetel."

humanity

Post by humanity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:14 pm

Lbucci wrote:You don't remove the lag by moving to 2:00am as stated in the email... Exetel is just shifting the lag to 2 am...
Reduction in off peak from 12 hrs down to 10 hrs also does not remove lag or address customer needs.

Also stated best for customers. No one asked me about the change, which customers are you referring to?
Where is the research showing the required changes that the customers are demanding?

What's the real reason here. Are users using to much quota? or is there another business reason with financial rewards?

Just tell us the truth
I remember being asked about the new times, but not about ideas about how to mitigate the midnight slow-down.

Did anyone think about retaining midnight to mid day but putting a speed limit of say 4000 Kb/sec from midnight - 1am?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Lbucci wrote:You don't remove the lag by moving to 2:00am as stated in the email... Exetel is just shifting the lag to 2 am...

Just tell us the truth
As stated many times.
At 12am, there are two issues:
- Off peak usage is highest at the start of the period, all the users are trying to start at 12am, as opposed to manage the usage in the lowest parts of the links (the faster areas).
- There are users who are being impacted by the 12am scheduled download rush.

To resolve both those issues, push the scheduled downloads, to 2am, and this reduces the 12am impact, yes, by shifting it to 2am, but there is also less usage at 2am, so therefore the issues should reduce!

Is that a hard concept to understand?
Are the graphs in members facilities that hard to read? Do they need a red flashing banner showing that they are under heavy utilisation?

And before it is suggested, we have used technologies to shape P2P traffic, but these measures are only capable of so much..

andybee

Post by andybee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:19 pm

I completely agree with the necessity of making adjustments to the peak/offpeak hours to manage capacity problems such as this one. I have to also say that it feels a bit unfair that some users will now have a 12 hour offpeak time and some will have a 10 hour. Even if that's what it is I really can't see this affecting me much so I can't complain.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: All of the people who changed their download period away from 12 midnight when we had that discussion will keep it after 1/8/09 as a 'thank you' for being a good Exetel "citizen".
So they keep a 12 hour download period.
I changed when asked to.
Thank you Exetel.

CrackerJak1

Post by CrackerJak1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 pm

JasonM wrote:OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?
Jason with all due respect all your doing is shifting the problem from 12am to 2am, its a useless gesture. "Night owls" like myself are still online at 2am any way and will just receive our nightly lag spikes and drop outs a little later, now on top of that we loose approx 62 hours a month of off peak usage.

Make more bandwidth available to non p2p users during 'crunch time' whilst keeping p2p users capped so they don't gobble up the extra bandwidth.

Xbox live traffic is all p2p is net enforcer handling the traffic properly? Drop outs are frequent at all times of the day.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:26 pm

CrackerJak1 wrote:
JasonM wrote:OK, so improvements that give you more usage are OK. But minor changes such as a shorter time, or a changed time aren't OK, even though it should resolve the 12am issues that those nightowls report?

I would imagine the traffic at 12am is mostly automated, and therefore is better placed at 2am - where users should be placing it.. ?
Jason with all due respect all your doing is shifting the problem from 12am to 2am, its a useless gesture. "Night owls" like myself are still online at 2am any way and will just receive our nightly lag spikes and drop outs a little later, now on top of that we loose approx 62 hours a month of off peak usage.

Make more bandwidth available to non p2p users during 'crunch time' whilst keeping p2p users capped so they don't gobble up the extra bandwidth.

Xbox live traffic is all p2p is net enforcer handling the traffic properly? Drop outs are frequent at all times of the day.
There are infinitely les people awake at 2am than 12am.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Yoshi667,
By the sound of it, you have a large number of internet users and a very large requirement for bandwidth. I realise that you may be on the highest peak plan already but you surely realise that Exetel is not a charity. It may be that simply the highest usage ADSL1 plan of 30GB peak downloads is insufficient for your needs. But I don't think this extends you liberty to say "I deserve a full 12 hours of off-peak entitlements". (I take it ADSL2+ is not available for you? It would go a long way to alleviate your concerns and provide you higher quota entitlements)

I'm sorry that your service and experience with Exetel staff has been less than desireable, but again, this is independent of the recent off-peak decision (and I think it is rather atypical as I can cite many instances where Exetel staff and services have been highly praised)
Yoshi667 wrote:I guess what I really want to know is do I need to stop telling everyone who asks that Exetel has the best rates, the best service but most of all the best download limits and times that I know of and start looking somewhere else?
I am in the same position as you. I take my recommendation of goods and services to other people when they ask me very seriously. And I will still be recommending Exetel to others. In fact, more so now that the off-peak has been reduced as I think the average new and existing user experience will be better off because of it.

My shield of logic absorbs said 3000dmg, emitting a sizzling sound not unlike bacon on the Double Cheeseburger Deluxe that Redolent has got me hankering for...