Major Changes To 'No Frills' Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Ravenous

ADSL Plan Matrix

Post by Ravenous » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 pm

updated again... page 8
Last edited by Ravenous on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ForumAdmin

Re: Major Changes To 'No Frills' Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 am

There are no 'shaping options' on the new plans.

jman177

Post by jman177 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am

Hi James

It would be interesting to see if people want free credit in exchange for a few cents extra call rate increase.

In my situation since I only make about $10 of calls a month the cheap call rate does not matter to me but free credit would mean the difference between paying/not paying for calls.

Please add a comment so James can get an idea of people interested.

roby

Post by roby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 am

sounds interesting

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 am

jman177 wrote:Please add a comment so James can get an idea of people interested.
I don't think free call credit is essential, or even warranted. Too many telecommunication plans complicate matters by bundling calls and extras and this leads to too many people demanding "free" stuff. The move to the new NF plans is an attempt to decouple service from usage costs, which I wholly support.

jman177

Post by jman177 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 am

I am just of the opinion that line rental has been steadly going up with each new plan exetel creates and we have yet to see any reason/advantage that warrants this increase.
(eg. Line rental use to be $15 when I signed up 3 years ago)

(In summary the new plans are done very well except for the line rental costs & no free calls in sight to offset the increase in line rental costs)
Last edited by jman177 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:33 am

jman177 wrote:I am just of the opinion that line rental has been steadly going up with each new plan exetel creates and we have yet to see any reason/advantage that warrants this increase.

(In summary the new plans are done very well except for the line rental costs.)
Just think of the line rental as being reduced by $10 or $15 and the ADSL as increasing by the same amount. The total package is still attractive when compared to other bundled ADSL packages or Telstra lines which force you onto a $27 line rental plan and don't offer the same ADSL value for money.

But yes, the BYO line packages seems to be getting better value relative to bundled packages, don't they? Which is great if you established Homeline Budget a long time ago, since Telstras forbidding of Homeline Budget + third party SSS ADSL2+ only applies for Homeline Budget plans commenced after a certain date.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:34 am

jman177 wrote:I am just of the opinion that line rental has been steadly going up with each new plan exetel (Line Rental use to be $15) creates and we have yet to see any reason/advantage that warrants this increase.
I don't know, but I suspect that the line rentals were set to the market average so as to make comparisons easier for consumers, if the line rental was lower I think you will find the plan price would have been increased accordingly so the total cost would run out the same anyway

karLos

Post by karLos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 pm

i'd rather have no email or webspace inclusions in a no frills approach... these are things i have never and will never use.

instead we lose the current naked voip allowances however the people who still get a phone line in the value added plans still get the free voip? hmm

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I've had a lot of contact with retirees and "mums and dads" lately. For these lowish data usage people an included email service is ESSENTIAL. Absolutely non-negotiable. Most are very interested in VoIP, particularly if they live in the country or have distant children. Web space isn't important (a brag book excepted), nor fax. Forget blogging. The ability to bundle in a low use GSM mobile phone plan, and for some, web SMS, is.

Although many users are advantaged by the new plans, new low end VoIP + phone users like these miss out. $45 plan + $10 VoIP = the price of the old bundled plan. Usage is extra over. The alternative 4/69 GB plan is $55 + VoIP extra. Both add up dearer in a time of expectation of falling telecommunications prices.

It is good that people can buy a bare connection at a minimal price and add on their needs, without all the complicated bovine stuff the telcos use. Unfortunately the new base price knocks off a benefit for one substantial growth area.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Dazzled wrote: Although many users are advantaged by the new plans, new low end VoIP + phone users like these miss out. $45 plan + $10 VoIP = the price of the old bundled plan. Usage is extra over. The alternative 4/69 GB plan is $55 + VoIP extra. Both add up dearer in a time of expectation of falling telecommunications prices.

Unfortunately the new base price knocks off a benefit for one substantial growth area.
Clearly the 'base price' PAYU NF/24 IncTel coming in at $49 for 4GB peak + PAYU VoIP would appeal to 'new low end VoIP + phone users'? Assuming they do not require lots of off-peak (@ $0.50 per GB) for their torrentz you tube and such.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm

jman177 wrote:Hi James

It would be interesting to see if people want free credit in exchange for a few cents extra call rate increase.

In my situation since I only make about $10 of calls a month the cheap call rate does not matter to me but free credit would mean the difference between paying/not paying for calls.

Please add a comment so James can get an idea of people interested.
Hi Jman,

I've been looking at our competitors phone plans, and cannot see any that charge as little as we do (including your $10.00) worth of calls.

James

Bowersub

Post by Bowersub » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Just noticed that the new plans are showing up in my Members area "Change my Service" menu.

Can I just confirm, if I change to the NF/22BYOLINE, I will not have to sign up to a new contract/my contract period will not be renewed?

Not that I personally have any intentions of leaving, but I may move out of home sometime over the next 12months, and my dad will require a much smaller plan than our current one, and I'll be signing up to Exetel wherever I am.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Ravenous, the new plans would certainly have appeal to a Bigpond customer, but the point I was making is that they are dearer all up than the old INC2DSLA plan. The users I have in mind have no use for torrents, and precious little use for Youtube.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Bowersub wrote:Just noticed that the new plans are showing up in my Members area "Change my Service" menu.

Can I just confirm, if I change to the NF/22BYOLINE, I will not have to sign up to a new contract/my contract period will not be renewed?
(New) contract information should appear in the change plan details if it is relevant