jubba

Re: Major Changes To 'No Frills' Plans

Post by jubba » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:33 pm

when i go to change plans
off peak is midnight 8am

but when i click on apply

it says offpeak is midnight to 12pm

My current offpeak is 2am to 2pm

So what will my off peak be after i change plans?

And i can't believe i'm getting an extra 20gb for a plan which $5 cheaper.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 pm

The off peak is midnight to 8am, the person who updated the form forgot to change the confirmation page.

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:04 am

whats the thinking in changing to off peak back to 8 hours? Just curious as to what is expected to be achieved by this as it seems to go against what exetel have been saying for a while. As well as moving it back to midnight start time. Im not complaining just curious as to the rationale behind it.

thanks.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 am

nihonjin wrote:whats the thinking in changing to off peak back to 8 hours? Just curious as to what is expected to be achieved by this as it seems to go against what exetel have been saying for a while. As well as moving it back to midnight start time. Im not complaining just curious as to the rationale behind it.

thanks.
I suppose the main reason was to align the new plans with the other plans in the marketplace with which they compete.

AAPT's new 'benchmark' of an 8 pm to 8 am unlimited concept is not possible for Exetel to compete with and I, personally, think that while it is 'head line catching' it actually isn't that much value to either the people who take it up or to AAPT themselves; but I say that in total ignorance of any facts that apply to AAPT's network or actual usage. I think the plans are just too expensive for the majority of users.

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 am

i thought it must have been to align with competitors as i think TPG have a simlar off peak. I think the new pricing is great and personally benefit with the new price structure. I do however think that having a longer off peak time sets exetel apart from the rest. It was a great selling feature to say to people that exetel's off peak was half the day or 12 hours and not some really short obscure time. As you have mentioned and know most off peak downloads finish within the first hour or two anyway so would there be any difference in usage if exetel went back to a 12 hour off peak? As from a selling feature it sounds better then 12-8 or 8 hours.

Just my thoughts. thanks for your answer.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 pm

nihonjin wrote:i thought it must have been to align with competitors as i think TPG have a simlar off peak. I think the new pricing is great and personally benefit with the new price structure. I do however think that having a longer off peak time sets exetel apart from the rest. It was a great selling feature to say to people that exetel's off peak was half the day or 12 hours and not some really short obscure time. As you have mentioned and know most off peak downloads finish within the first hour or two anyway so would there be any difference in usage if exetel went back to a 12 hour off peak? As from a selling feature it sounds better then 12-8 or 8 hours.

I really liked the 12 - 12 off peak period and would have done anything to have kept it but, all the efforts in the end were defeated by those customers who just had to start massive downloads at the stroke of midnight. If we could have found another way of either getting rid of those customers completely or convincing them that 2am or 3 am was a suitable time to start file downloads then we would - we tried for more than two years but failed to do that.

AAPT has picked up that advantage now and we have to come up with something new - which we hope to do in the not too distant future but it is taking much longer than I anticipated fro the negotiations with possible new IP providers to be concluded.

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm

jubba wrote:when i go to change plans
off peak is midnight 8am

but when i click on apply

it says offpeak is midnight to 12pm

My current offpeak is 2am to 2pm

So what will my off peak be after i change plans?

And i can't believe i'm getting an extra 20gb for a plan which $5 cheaper.
I changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2 (INC2DSLA) starting this month and had 2AM-2PM off-peak previously. Following the plan change I requested restoration of my off-peak time based on past advice that it could be retained following plan changes, and this has been done (thanks). Suggest you ask nicely and I'm sure the good Exetel folk will do likewise for you also. Now if only the revised BYOLine plans where available 2-3 weeks before my change request; I would have choosen one of them to avoid Optus ULL but that's off topic.

icbu

Post by icbu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Is there a new contract period if you change plans from an existing Naked ADSL plan? E.g. going from NAK2B to NF/22NOTEL.

What if you are still in your first 12 month contract?

The first change screen says no contract, second says 12 months...

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 pm

icbu wrote:Is there a new contract period if you change plans from an existing Naked ADSL plan? E.g. going from NAK2B to NF/22NOTEL.
What if you are still in your first 12 month contract?
No. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 12#p257912 for example.

As NAK and NF/NoTel are provided on the same infrastructure, the change is akin to a billing / monthly quota change and not a change of contract.
icbu wrote:The first change screen says no contract, second says 12 months...
That is a little strange. I'll place a post on http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=306&t=25358 to have it investigated

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
nihonjin wrote:i thought it must have been to align with competitors as i think TPG have a simlar off peak. I think the new pricing is great and personally benefit with the new price structure. I do however think that having a longer off peak time sets exetel apart from the rest. It was a great selling feature to say to people that exetel's off peak was half the day or 12 hours and not some really short obscure time. As you have mentioned and know most off peak downloads finish within the first hour or two anyway so would there be any difference in usage if exetel went back to a 12 hour off peak? As from a selling feature it sounds better then 12-8 or 8 hours.

I really liked the 12 - 12 off peak period and would have done anything to have kept it but, all the efforts in the end were defeated by those customers who just had to start massive downloads at the stroke of midnight. If we could have found another way of either getting rid of those customers completely or convincing them that 2am or 3 am was a suitable time to start file downloads then we would - we tried for more than two years but failed to do that.

AAPT has picked up that advantage now and we have to come up with something new - which we hope to do in the not too distant future but it is taking much longer than I anticipated fro the negotiations with possible new IP providers to be concluded.
So why not make the off peak 4am to 12pm then? I can't see how going "back" to 12am (and now only to 8am) alleviates the previous problem of users starting "massive downloads at the stroke of midnight". :?:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am

kiwigene wrote:
So why not make the off peak 4am to 12pm then? I can't see how going "back" to 12am (and now only to 8am) alleviates the previous problem of users starting "massive downloads at the stroke of midnight". :?:
Because there aren't 100,000 users on the new plans.

Zoner

Post by Zoner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm interested in the new plans, the only thing putting me off changing is the 12 - 8am offpeak period. I'm on 2am - 2pm now, any chance of getting something closer to that with the change?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Zoner wrote:I'm interested in the new plans, the only thing putting me off changing is the 12 - 8am offpeak period. I'm on 2am - 2pm now, any chance of getting something closer to that with the change?
The time frames with individual plans are as shown - there can be no variations.

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Ravenous wrote:Here is the plan matrix MKIII for a range of 'Peak' Download scenarios. Hope it does not need to be changed again for at least a month. Please note I have included assumed phone line rentals in the monthly fee costs. Once again, I hope it helps some to make an informed decision.

I think the balance is close to being struck across the spectrum of plans. Well done Exetel!

There's a mistake in the row for the NF/24BYOLINE plan - the monthly is $20 not $25. The plan would not be very attractive at $25!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Zoner wrote:I'm interested in the new plans, the only thing putting me off changing is the 12 - 8am offpeak period. I'm on 2am - 2pm now, any chance of getting something closer to that with the change?
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p258186 might be of interest to you