Back To The Future?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
JasonM

Re: Back To The Future?

Post by JasonM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:05 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Again, trying to think of left-field ideas: why not link unlimited usage time interval directly to bandwidth? That is, use the last week or month of data to determine exactly which hourly intervals are underutilised and tell users that for the next week / month usage in those intervals is unmetered. Call it "happy hour" or something.
Such detection could be automated, but how do you get it to the masses, and how do they know when to stop? What if they aren't watching, and get $xxx billed?

Col

Post by Col » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 am

Perhaps let customers switch unlimited offpeak on and off for 7 (for example) offpeak periods of their choosing (as long as it is enabled/disabled before the start of offpeak or something for it to be counted or not) any time after the 6th (or whatever) of the month. That way it is spread out over the month and avoids the start of the month download frenzy.

Alternatively make it after-the-fact. Give people 7 credits to apply to any 7 offpeak windows (after the 6th of the month). When a credit is applied to a certain day's period the downloads get erased (strikethrough) and the credit is lost.

*shrug*

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am

JasonM wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:Again, trying to think of left-field ideas: why not link unlimited usage time interval directly to bandwidth? That is, use the last week or month of data to determine exactly which hourly intervals are underutilised and tell users that for the next week / month usage in those intervals is unmetered. Call it "happy hour" or something.
Such detection could be automated, but how do you get it to the masses, and how do they know when to stop? What if they aren't watching, and get $xxx billed?
Which is why I would bill it as a ride-on to current plans: unlimited usage, so long as you pay attention to the website announcing these "bonus" times. Or like other ISPs Christmas bonuses (where they turn metering off for one day around Christmas and email everyone shortly beforehand)

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:57 am

How about this - for $n per month you get unlimited usage and no distinction between peak-offpeak.
i.e. you pay your monthly fee and you get "The Internet".

Just cut out all the crap out. A truely "no-frills" plan. That'll make the other ISP's take notice.

* JL will need to decide what n is...

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:11 am

$n would be very expensive (or very slow).

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 am

Unlimited sounds all warm and fuzzy, but I can imagine it becoming a leaches paradise and drag down network capacity again. Preventing interactive usage such as browsing, VoIP, gaming, etc from working.

If these services can be effectively protected then I am all for unlimited deals.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:56 pm

kiwigene wrote:How about this - for $n per month you get unlimited usage and no distinction between peak-offpeak.
i.e. you pay your monthly fee and you get "The Internet".

Just cut out all the crap out. A truely "no-frills" plan. That'll make the other ISP's take notice.

* JL will need to decide what n is...
We could do that with one proviso:

"Unlimited use of this service prohibits the use of P2P or Usenet which will be severely restricted and if used will result in the service being cancelled".

256 - $30.00
512 - $40.00
1500 - $50.0
8192 - N/A

Dabront

Post by Dabront » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm

What about a plan with a quota and no distinction between peak and off peak? Not everyone needs the massive off peak Exetel offers.

rahul

Post by rahul » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Just a simple question, if a new customer was to sign up on current 'no-frill' plans and say 5 months down the track Exetel does decide to come up with the new unlimited plans.... are existing customers on 12 month contracts able to switch?

Cheers

Col

Post by Col » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:26 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We could do that with one proviso:

"Unlimited use of this service prohibits the use of P2P or Usenet which will be severely restricted and if used will result in the service being cancelled".

256 - $30.00
512 - $40.00
1500 - $50.0
8192 - N/A
The whole cancelling if you even look at P2P or NNTP could be a little hard for some people to swallow. How about instead of that threat you make downloads unlimited but with a 1GB or 2GB upload quota with downloads and uploads being charged from that point on for the rest of the month? Of course you will need to give it another name as it isn't unlimited in the true sense of the word, but neither is your approach to people who think an unlimited connection is useless if they are told how to use their connection.

You could add $10 to those proposed prices and they would still be reasonable.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: We could do that with one proviso:

256 - $30.00
512 - $40.00
1500 - $50.0
8192 - N/A
I would certainly entertain such a plan and I'm sure many others would. A set of NON-LEACH plans, designed for interactive usage would be a winner for many. Gamers, and ABC iView would probably be on the top of the list this type of plan.

The option to block appropriate ports in the Members Facilities would be a good idea if such plans were introduced.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 pm

rahul wrote:Just a simple question, if a new customer was to sign up on current 'no-frill' plans and say 5 months down the track Exetel does decide to come up with the new unlimited plans.... are existing customers on 12 month contracts able to switch
From memory I was able to change plans during my initial contract. So I don't think it is a problem.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 am

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We could do that with one proviso:

256 - $30.00
512 - $40.00
1500 - $50.0
8192 - N/A
The whole cancelling if you even look at P2P or NNTP could be a little hard for some people to swallow. How about instead of that threat you make downloads unlimited but with a 1GB or 2GB upload quota with downloads and uploads being charged from that point on for the rest of the month? Of course you will need to give it another name as it isn't unlimited in the true sense of the word, but neither is your approach to people who think an unlimited connection is useless if they are told how to use their connection.

You could add $10 to those proposed prices and they would still be reasonable.
Actually that's the whole idea - we don't want people who use P2P to use these plans.

Perhaps there are some honest people in the world, parents of families, who actually think the internet is a fantastic 'tool' for all sorts of legal things.

That would be the target market for such plans.

I'd hate to believe that Australia has sunk so low that the presumption is that every user is a thief.

ozblogger

Post by ozblogger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 am

ForumAdmin wrote: Actually that's the whole idea - we don't want people who use P2P to use these plans.
Perhaps there are some honest people in the world, parents of families, who actually think the internet is a fantastic 'tool' for all sorts of legal things.
That would be the target market for such plans.
I'd hate to believe that Australia has sunk so low that the presumption is that every user is a thief.
If only, what you believe was true ...
One can't be naive in thinking that an "Unlimited" Off-Peak plan won't attract P2P leechers.
Try this, how many families do you think would know how to schedule their downloads to use Off-Peak only ?
AAPT's plan (while priced higher) also includes free calls, and hence is bound to be lapped by families
But the catch (24 months contract & higher setup-cost) is something Exetel can avoid (NoFrills)

How about you simply use a survey/poll to find out if Unlimited Off-Peak will appeal to Families ?

"Change is good, as long as it remains fresh, and then we need another change"

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm

How about exetel keep the current plans/timings with an small unlimited block at say 3am - 5am. That would convince the heavy users to schedule downloads to begin at 3am to save their precious allowances?