New ADSL1 Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
vk3xem

Re: New ADSL1 Plans

Post by vk3xem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:40 pm

How many leachers are going to be attracted by TL-C4, I hope it isn't going to drag things down again.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:07 pm

vk3xem wrote:How many leachers are going to be attracted by TL-C4, I hope it isn't going to drag things down again.
Yes it may attract new customers, but notice the contract period is only 30 days, so they can be chucked pretty quickly.
As an existing customer it would unnerve me to be on an unlimited plan, I had a plan change application to TL-C4 which I've withdrawn in favour of the TL-C3, I feel much more secure with an actual stated limit.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14 pm

What concerns me is that this is the first time Exetel have actually used the term UNLIMITED, up until now they have made a strong point of not using this term.

So even though they are 30 contracts, I'm not sure how they are going to defend 'chucking' leachers, oops, demanding customers.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Kamma

Post by Kamma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Would be great if we could get some clarification on where the "Leecher" line is, it'd really suck to change plans and then get kicked from service because you didn't know you were doing anything wrong. I know Exetel have made it clear that "Unmetred" is not unlimited, surely now that you're using the term "unlimited" something has changed?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Kamma wrote:surely now that you're using the term "unlimited" something has changed?
That is my interpretation as well. I can only assume that the limit is the theoretical limit imposed by 24 hours of downloading on a 256kbps, 512kbps or 1.5Mbps service (40GB/40GB, 80GB/80GB and 240GB/240GB respectively). Those first two seems feasible but it make me curious just how a potential 480GB of downloads are able to be allowed on an $85/month service.

As with some other comments on this thread I see nothing on the website or AUP that would prohibit 480GB of downloads per month on TL-C4 except the clause which gives Exetel the right, with notice, to terminate services. AUP 9.1(d) specifically only applies to all the other plans, though any user wishing to download large amounts should pay close attention to any future changes in the AUP that may specifically address acceptable usage for these new plans
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

I am reallllly interested in the unlimited plan.

But I would like someone from exetel to give me an idea of what is the maximum sort of limit they will tolerate.

so far this month I have downloaded 56gb-ish with tons of room left over...

But my downloading habits change a lot during the year. This month has been pretty small, but it could get large on some other months.

So.. any idea on a limit where I might piss off JL? Looking at the $65 plan which includes 130gb (60/70)....
if I spent the $20 on extra gb's on the $65 plan that would equal 170gb a month.
Now surely exetel mean more than 170gb since I can get that on the plan before, so let's round that to 200gb?

I highly doubt I would ever use 6.6gb a day. That's roughly half of the potential to download on a 1.5mbit connection. at the moment I use about 2.45gb a day.

Yeah.. any estimate exetel? Will exetel disconnect me if I download 200gb (even though I usually barely make it to 80gb haha)

pjred

Post by pjred » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Telsta's 8192/384 connections, at least for Exetel, seem to have consistently dropped in speed performance across a wide range of exchanges over the past twelve months.

This has resulted in too many 'Exetel' customers complaining about speeds and an increasing number of these complainants going to the TIO and involving Exetel in a ridiculous amount of time and costs on an issue over which we have no control.
Well I must be one of the luckier ones as my connection's been pretty good over the last 12 months.
We are not prepared to offer a service that so many stupid people think we can control and then cause us so much expense.
Exetel have no interest in offering a service that seems to cause so much unhappiness to the users of this speed and who are presumably much more competent than Exetel
The ADSL2+ users at my exchange (Port Kembla) are unhappy and going through what the users at Unanderra exchange went through a few months back. (waiting for Optus to upgrade the lines into the exchange to fix bandwidth problems). Switching from 8192/384 to ADSL2+ isn't an option for me ATM with the exchange problems and no ports available.

I see you are offering 1 8192/384 NF/8192 plan.
Will you be phasing out new and/or old 8192/384 connections alltogether and what does this mean for existing 8192/384 customers?

I'm on TL-CB 8192/384 and usually use my 30 peak limit/month. Would switching to the "lite" NF/8192 plan and still using around 30 odd Gig/month and paying 25 to 30Gig excess each month be considered acceptable?

Legend

Post by Legend » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Is there a reason that the user facilities don't reflect the other plan pages? For example, the TL-AU and TL-BU plans aren't listed but the TL-AB plan is and the TL-C4 plan has an included usage figure of "mbytes". I don't think even Tel$tra would offer a plan with millibytes of included downloads for $85, although I'm sure they'd like to.

sedaai

Post by sedaai » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:15 pm

FA,

Are ADSL2 changes still en-route before the end of the month?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:38 pm

sedaai wrote:FA,

Hard to tell at this time.

sedaai

Post by sedaai » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
sedaai wrote:FA,

Hard to tell at this time.
John,

I can see that all of the 'high usage' plans have been taken down from the ADSL2 plan webpage.

Will anymore plans be implemented in place of these for those who have further download requirements (e.g. those who have splurged on the steam (www.steampowered.com) christmas sales)?

Thanks in advance.

pr|ck

Post by pr|ck » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:11 pm

having said that, does exetel plan to offer a steam mirror which is not counted towards the limits? i know that the local ftp is still counted! :cry:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm

pr|ck wrote:having said that, does exetel plan to offer a steam mirror which is not counted towards the limits? i know that the local ftp is still counted! :cry:
No.

The very large downloads that have always been provided by Exetel have always made 'free content' pointless.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:08 pm

sedaai wrote: I can see that all of the 'high usage' plans have been taken down from the ADSL2 plan webpage.

Will anymore plans be implemented in place of these for those who have further download requirements (e.g. those who have splurged on the steam (http://www.steampowered.com) christmas sales)?

Thanks in advance.
With the 'excess' cost reduced to 50 cents per gb "high end" plans have no relevance - try multiplying the 50 cents per gb and see for yourself.

sedaai

Post by sedaai » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
sedaai wrote: I can see that all of the 'high usage' plans have been taken down from the ADSL2 plan webpage.

Will anymore plans be implemented in place of these for those who have further download requirements (e.g. those who have splurged on the steam (http://www.steampowered.com) christmas sales)?

Thanks in advance.
With the 'excess' cost reduced to 50 cents per gb "high end" plans have no relevance - try multiplying the 50 cents per gb and see for yourself.
That works fine for me, thanks for the clarification.