New ADSL1 Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
metino

Re: New ADSL1 Plans

Post by metino » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi just want to know is there any option for faster speed than 1500kb on adsl1 currently or in the near future ? i couldnt see any on the website just wanted to make sure.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey metino, there still is an 8Mb/s (8192kb/s) plan in the "no frills" section of the adsl1 plans. The high usage plans at that speed were removed, which, if you read my earlier posts, I'm not very happy about.

The no frills plan is only $0.50/GB over the quota limit so it is still decent value, until you get into the higher usage areas (where I am).

metino

Post by metino » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 pm

thanx, yeah i know what you mean, if exetel could bring back those speeds on unlimited id be willing to pay extra, can anyone confirm if this will be possible in the near future, living in an area without adsl2 is bad.

David R

Post by David R » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 am

Pay extra for ADSL1/unlimited?
It wont happen this side of the Government's NBN.

Why? Consider the inefficient costs of supplying broadband; based on 8mbit DSL.

$59.00 port rental inc GST +some minor incidental costs
Add the ISPs operating margin (covering overheads such as staff/utility/lease costs for Exetel, which might be =$8.00/plan)
$8.00 operating costs
$3.00 profit margin for Exetel (with approx. half donated to the environment)
=$70.00 BEFORE any data is added

For 1mbit capacity to allow ~300GB/mth, add: backhaul & IP
$70 backhaul
$60 IP

=$200

Minus ~0.333mbps (33% x $60) allowing for caching/akamaised /local sourced traffic
($20)

=Cost of final plan
A$180.00

^And that's based on a few hundred GB's alone; users have been known to DL <1TB on AAPTs 100AUD service.

The above is just my understanding of some detail in ForumAdmin's blog, not necessarily an accurate depiction of costs. Nonetheless, I can't see subscribers spending >$100 on BB plans. Exetel's 1500/256K unlimited, certainly not cheap at $110.00 (previously $85.00), is about the best we can get; and sadly, 'true' 8mbit can't happen until Telstra monopoly on backhaul is overcome by force. Outside of one or two local companies (TPG, AAPT), Australians are stuck comparing quotas.

Who knows, 4G/Wimax technology on the horizon might have potential to undermine certain costs, to some extent. By some extent I mean the $59.00 +$21.00, port +line rental/monopoly costs, can be avoided in 4G wireless .

I also anticipate that the 256kbps/380kbps/800kbps-'nothing capacities' of fixed line/upload speeds, will be leaped over by affordable wireless services before the NBN.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 pm

metino wrote:thanx, yeah i know what you mean, if exetel could bring back those speeds on unlimited id be willing to pay extra, can anyone confirm if this will be possible in the near future, living in an area without adsl2 is bad.
Hurray! Look at the new plans page, and you'll see down the bottom under the "choose your own downloads" plans there's an 8Mb/s plan with 100GB downloads (spread as 50/50) and full midnight to noon offpeak! Thank you exetel, finally I can change to an updated plan.

P.S. I changed plans from an old 512k plan to a new 512k plan for some family friends, and even though it was listed as a $0 changeover for the same speed and on the actual change plans page, it charged them $25 to change, just like if they'd changed speed. Does that sound right?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:01 pm

ozkidzez91 wrote:P.S. I changed plans from an old 512k plan to a new 512k plan for some family friends, and even though it was listed as a $0 changeover for the same speed and on the actual change plans page, it charged them $25 to change, just like if they'd changed speed. Does that sound right?
No. You might want to email billing@exetel.com.au about that
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Far Queue

Post by Far Queue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Any chance of another 8000k plan with less data? While the current plan is great value, 100 GB is overkill for me and probably a lot of others. aaNet have just released the best 8000k plan available IMO. 50 GB + 50% counted off peak for $55 is extremely tempting for someone that can only get ADSL2 at ridiculous prices with Telstra (or someone that resells their product).

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Far Queue wrote:Any chance of another 8000k plan with less data? While the current plan is great value, 100 GB is overkill for me and probably a lot of others. aaNet have just released the best 8000k plan available IMO. 50 GB + 50% counted off peak for $55 is extremely tempting for someone that can only get ADSL2 at ridiculous prices with Telstra (or someone that resells their product).
Same situation here. Ironically, I've been waiting for a decent amount of quota. Pity you didn't check sooner, there was a low-usage 8Mb/s plan there for ages, only just replaced by the current one.

I really believe that the 8Mb/s plans should all be brought back, as it gives a decent option to those of us refusing to fork over ludicrous amounts of dosh to those greedy you-know-whats at Tel$tra. That, or give us all optus DSLAMs so we can get Exetel ADSL2 :D

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am

Far Queue wrote:Any chance of another 8000k plan with less data? While the current plan is great value, 100 GB is overkill for me and probably a lot of others. aaNet have just released the best 8000k plan available IMO. 50 GB + 50% counted off peak for $55 is extremely tempting for someone that can only get ADSL2 at ridiculous prices with Telstra (or someone that resells their product).
Yes - we will do that soon.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 am

In my members facilities I am presented with the option to change to the FP-C3 plan, offpeak it says is "No Limit = Unlimited"
but when I click 'apply' the offpeak "No Limit = Unlimited" changes to "No Charge"
May I ask, which is correct?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Tazz wrote:In my members facilities I am presented with the option to change to the FP-C3 plan, offpeak it says is "No Limit = Unlimited"
but when I click 'apply' the offpeak "No Limit = Unlimited" changes to "No Charge"
May I ask, which is correct?
Previously raised at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p270943 and the response was that "No limit" is the correct one
Shady wrote:This should already be fixed. The Members Facilities plan tables should reflect the ones on the main website.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:26 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Best news ever :-)

angryofmayfair

Post by angryofmayfair » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:

Why not just bring back the PAYG plan at so much per GB - then we can all pay for what we use and Exetel still make a profit....

Taltosss

Post by Taltosss » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 am

scottb721 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Best news ever :-)
I agree. This is great news. There still are many of us that most unfortunately are attached to RIM's and have no alternative but to use 8Mb plans if we want or need these higher speeds for quality VOIP/ reasonable download volume (insert many and varied reason that 1.5Mb is not quite fast enough!) etc. Whilst I also agree that Exetel's pricing point for the included allowance is very good comparative value, it really only appeals to someone that consistently uses that amount of data.

The previous 6/12 NF 8Mb plan was a very good entry level plan and, as quoted further above, aaNet's new 8Mb plan is keenly priced for the included data.

Anyway, thank you for reconsidering 8Mb alternative plans. I, and many others, look forward to their release.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Taltosss wrote:
Anyway, thank you for reconsidering 8Mb alternative plans. I, and many others, look forward to their release.
They are on the web site now.