Reductions In Wireless Broadband Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Reductions In Wireless Broadband Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

We have started the review of the Exetel wireless broadband plans.

We have removed the $5.00 per month access charge from the mobile handset plans WM A and WM B

Lawrie

Re: Reductions In Wireless Broadband Plans

Post by Lawrie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

thank you.

Can you please confirm if this change is immediate?

I notice that the "View Plan Detail" page has already been updated.

Plan Type: WM - A
Monthly Access Charge: $0.00

Munka

Post by Munka » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Would it be possible to have one higher usage plan?
I can't speak for others but 5GB is too little for me, I am running a monthly excess on a regular basis.
7 or 8GB would be good, say 8GB for $50+
Munka

thewiz

Post by thewiz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Does this change apply to the old plans? ie. HSPA M1 - HA that I am on.

It's the same plan just a different name I'm pretty sure.
In my user facilities it still says I have a $5 access charge so I assume it doesn't, but there is no way in the user facilities to change my plan.

These changes aren't reflected on the Exetel website yet are they?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Lawrie wrote:thank you.

Can you please confirm if this change is immediate?

I notice that the "View Plan Detail" page has already been updated.

Plan Type: WM - A
Monthly Access Charge: $0.00
It comes in to effect from February 1st billing....as it's a post dated plan.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

thewiz wrote:Does this change apply to the old plans? ie. HSPA M1 - HA that I am on.

In my user facilities it still says I have a $5 access charge so I assume it doesn't, but there is no way in the user facilities to change my plan.

This change only applies to the plans stated.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 pm

Munka wrote:Would it be possible to have one higher usage plan?
I can't speak for others but 5GB is too little for me, I am running a monthly excess on a regular basis.
You could always buy another sim?

David R

Post by David R » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:48 am

This new *$0.00 base* is a good step but does not ameliorate the significant risk '$4,500 per Mbps' many buyers consider the major impediment in wireless being taken as a plan. OK, not much can be changed there.

What I have noticed is the far more pleasing in concept "Recharge Data" pricing/structure, tabled 13/07/09 and shown here http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... ricing.php outside of Members facilities.

"R2000 $30.00 2 gbytes 90 Days" which costs an effective $10.00 per month; 600 MB to utilise on average pm; good for as little as '0.74 hours operating time' PER MONTH-based on 2 Mbps streaming that is on my device a throughput figure. - Most importantly, the concept 'prepaid' comes WITHOUT the associated unpleasantness and risk burden of " my device eats away remarkably $4000/Mbps my credit in any billing cycle".

(However remote the chances 1Mbps=300GB could be upped/downed for those charges to actually be incurred, postpaid wireless might more sensibly at this stage ignored - at least until the real next G =LTE takes form.)

..So Why pay more than $30.00 via 90days recharge(???); in using approx. 600 MB's I'm interested in...
* a backup solution similar to dialup e.g. to login user facilities & lookup forums when actual broadband fails
* Google web, look for articles
* maps - including navigation when on foot
* emailing etc
* VoIP calls if quality is usable

1. Seeing the postpaid WM A,B - revision, I'm guessing some improvement to the prepaid may be possible ?

2. Any reason I couldn't replace a 3 VHA sim with Exetel Optus sim to change networks, use the HSPA 'Modem' inbuilt in a HTC TyTn II to access prepaid: my phone/modem is not branded to Three, therefore can move ??
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

oldman

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:34 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
thewiz wrote:Does this change apply to the old plans? ie. HSPA M1 - HA that I am on.

It would seem that in order to change from 'HSPA M1 - HA' to 'WM A' you need to order the 'WM A' service (thankfully $0 to activate) and fill in the 'Porting Mobile Telephony Service' part of the application with your current 'HSPA M1 - HA' details.

It's a pity it can't be done by a simple 'Change my plan' request as it is essentially the same plan (minus the monthly charge and change in data rate above 1 GB) under a different name.

Munka

Post by Munka » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:16 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Munka wrote:Would it be possible to have one higher usage plan?
You could always buy another sim?
That may be the remedy for now, I just try to avoid taking the sim out, it is such a tight fit into the carrier plate tabs.
But with some careful modifications I guess that is doable. Maybe further into 2010 larger plans will be a possibility.
Munka

the_aph

Post by the_aph » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 am

Maybe if you can reduce the excess usage fees down to about $15 a GB on the larger plans.

thewiz

Post by thewiz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

ForumAdmin wrote:

Is there any reason why it doesn't apply to the old plans, particularly, as oldman has stated, seeing as they are pretty much exactly the same plan?

It is easy enough to order the WM A plan and port accross my current Exetel phone number, but it would be even easier if the change could be made on Exetel's end so I don't have to get a new SIM etc.

Wouldn't make sense from Exetel's perspective to apply this change to the old HSPA M1 - HA plan as I'm sure most people on that plan will want to change over to the WM A plan? Would save processing all the new orders, or is it actually not a simple case of swapping the plan on Exetel's end?

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:03 pm

oldman wrote: It would seem that in order to change from 'HSPA M1 - HA' to 'WM A' you need to order the 'WM A' service (thankfully $0 to activate) and fill in the 'Porting Mobile Telephony Service' part of the application with your current 'HSPA M1 - HA' details.
Provisioning (via helpdesk) had advised me recently that porting across HSPA plans was not currently possible during recent correspondence a couple of months ago.

I am led to believe the only workaround is to port to Exetel Mobile (VF) and then back to Exetel HSPA (Optus).

oblong

Post by oblong » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Will the SIM provided for the WM A plan ("For Use In Mobile Hand Set Only") work for data if it is put into a USB modem (presuming Optus network capable)? If so, why consider a $5/m HSPA WI A plan?

I know my SIM card for my older HSPA M1 - HA plan works in a Huawai E160E. But it's a nuisance to swap it around, and also lose mobile phone functionality while the SIM is not in the phone. So I'm looking for a way to get data-only via the E160E, and the WM A plan looks like a good option. Or am I missing something?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

I think the confusion here is that the M1 Plan is not actually HSPA, it is one of Exetel's Vodafone Plans!

The HSPA Plans are provided via the Optus network.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM