Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
pizzicato

Re: Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Post by pizzicato » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Just checking... This does NOT apply to Naked plans, at least as far as VOIP is concerned??

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:18 pm

pizzicato wrote:Just checking... This does NOT apply to Naked plans, at least as far as VOIP is concerned??
you still get a VoIP service but I think you need to pay for your calls instead of the 100 free

Lukian

Post by Lukian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:23 pm

kenobiajay wrote:To confirm, old HSPA plans with free voip/sms will continue to have so?
Also need confirmation. "HSPA C2".

pizzicato

Post by pizzicato » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:28 pm

jokiin wrote:
pizzicato wrote:Just checking... This does NOT apply to Naked plans, at least as far as VOIP is concerned??
you still get a VoIP service but I think you need to pay for your calls instead of the 100 free
Thanks for that, I guess I'd better check the plan pages now.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I am on the adsl1 8192 30/60gb plan and without my free calls I am up for more per month. The free calls were one of the big reasons I came to Exetel. There is NO comparable plan for me at this speed and even if there was I would be charged $90 to change?. There is no way I could go back to 1.5mb/s after the taste of decent speeds. I am unable to get adsl2 at my place except from Tel$tra. I get an email from Exetel saying yet another record month and then this...
It looks like I have been forced to jump ship... Now I have to spend all month trying to find another ISP. Just great! :?

maestro

Post by maestro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm

sable wrote:Just spoke to customer about changing to NF1500 from TL-BA, cost to change plan with no line speed change is listed as $90.

I don't think/hope this is not correct, cost of $90 to save $5 per month!!
You can always cancel the service and then immediately sign up for the new plan. It only costs $60 to activate that service for new customers (and that would allow for paying to have the line physically connected to the DSLAM).

I was under the impression that changing plans (with no line speed change) would simply be a database entry in the billing system, and would not be charged for (from memory, changing actually was free up until recently). My impression (I could be wrong) is that this $90 fee is purely a money grabbing exercise taking advantage of people jumping between plans because of this change (Exetel, of course, knew about the change ahead of time and have positioned themselves nicely to take the maximum advantage from it).

I am not sure if it's worth it for an 18 month payback period. I haven't been with Exetel for 18 months yet, and am concerned that they may slug us again with yet another change. (I was particularly unimpressed when they reduced my effective peak quota by increasing the number of peak hours in the day).

My first six months with Exetel was great, there were one or two quota increases and nothing to bother about. The second six months has been annoying with peak/off-peak changes, SMS price increases and now this. Each successive change seems to be having a bigger impact than the last, what's next?

Exetel, can we please have a little bit more stability in our plan pricing/features? And when you do need to make changes (I understand that this has to happen occasionally) can you please not charge large sums of money just to change plans when we decide to remain your customers (a $90 charge makes a good incentive to at least check out other suppliers).

autron

Post by autron » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:13 pm

While I understand that the free voip inclusions are being withdrawn, I feel that I am being punished for having used the "frills" because I will be charged $90 to change to a current plan.

So I end up stuck on a plan with higher excess charges and a ten hour off-peak starting at 2am.

How is this fair?

DanP

Post by DanP » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:08 pm

can you please not charge large sums of money just to change plans when we decide to remain your customers
I couldn't agree more. I can understand that Exetel don't want people to be able to change plans too often, but surely a much smaller fee ($20 - $30) would have still acheived that? Even a two week offer to waive the plan change fee for customers on old frills plans.

Migrating everyone to a current plan may have been undesirable for some customers in the past, but with the inclusions now withdrawn is there any reason someone wouldn't want to migrate from an old "frills" plan to a current plan?

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

jokiin wrote:

Can we get a definitive rather than a "..I think you need.."

Isn't the free calls one of the largest attractions of voip? If true, I'll probably need to move, especially if the costs of changing are around $90.

And as Maestro said, how can we be sure we won't have to pay another transfer charge when they decide to change their minds again???

Would it be possible from a person from exetel to comment?

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm

$90 to migrate across plans (no line speed change) is a sting in the tail that is for sure. Nasty! I can sympathise with the old plan customers perception of being 'gouged'. I neither can think of a reason why this is the case, please correct me if I am wrong?

Could Exetel please reconsider for those who would like to 'upgrade' plans in terms of download allowance (i.e. encouragement to spend more per month) and instead apply the change fee for those who wish to downgrade their plans (i.e. disincentive to spend less per month) ?

Cheers.

benthomas

Post by benthomas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Can someone please clear something up for me please.

How can one day they send an email out saying this:
February was again a new 'record' which following January's record month for non-recurrent charges was very good to see as January, until this year, has never been a particularly good month for new customer sign ons and the other 'incidental' charges that make up a month's total revenue.

Then the next day send an email out saying this:
We regret that we have to withdraw these services on a 'free' basis but it is no longer economical for us to carry the cost of providing these services.

Am I missing something?

I'd also like to note that I was an extremely light user of these freebies. I may have sent 3 or 4 faxes a year, I sent one lot of 30 odd texts once and have never used SMS's otherwise and I make maybe 10 local voip calls a month. Whilst I realise that the additional cost I am going to incur will be minimal, the same could be said for the cost of these freebies to Exetel (on my account anyway).

I don't really care either way to be honest, there just seems to be a bit of a contradiction. Cheers.

hairygal2

Post by hairygal2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:37 pm

"ADSL "Other" Charges (1/1/10)
Moving between Plans
If you move to another plan, there will currently be a charge of $25.00 if a change of speed is required and no charge if there is no change of line speed. The charge for changing plans varies from time to time and you should check close to the time that you are considering changing plans."

This is still showing on the Residential ADSL1 Plans on the Exetel Main Page ..

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm not sure how to make the situation any clearer.

From March 1st free SMS, free Fax and Free VoIP inclusions will no longer be available.

If any customer believes that is detrimental to their usage they are free to move to another ISP and there will be no early termination charge.

If any person is currently using an Exetel DID they keep the DID with the only difference being that if they make VoIP calls they will be charged at the current VoIP rates.

peterjc

Post by peterjc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Ok, so we are losing $10 worth of voip calls, with notice. I am more concerned about the $5.00 plan price increases and activating charges,without notice.

Yesterday, I could change my plan for FREE or $25.00 with a speed change. Today, "BTW" it will cost at least $90.00 to make any changes at all. Over twelve months this equates to $7.50 a month. End result a $12.50 increase per month access charges plus the loss of voip calls.

I have both my home and business with Exetel and have been very happy, but there has been so many changes in the last six months or so I cannot help but think that either Exetel is hanging by a thin thread ready to fall into the labyrinth along with all the rest of the ISP's or end up going the same way as onetel a few years ago. The cost of rapid expansion can sometimes have unexpected outcomes.

staunts

Post by staunts » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:00 pm

ForumAdmin,

Yes, it is very clear. But what type of company gets someone to sign up and then within a few months tell them that you are withdrawing the services that made the difference between your company and the myriad of others out there.

I spent considerable amounts of time, paid an early termination fee from my other provider and paid your connection fee to come to Exetel. I don't find it very honourable to move the goal posts when people make a choice to sign up for a plan that in a whim you feel needs to change. It may not seem much, but 100 free calls made the difference for me.

Will you refund the connection fee I paid given that it was only a few months ago ?

Or will you do the right thing and just let the plan stay the way it is.

Adam