Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:10 pm

peterjc wrote: but there has been so many changes in the last six months or so I cannot help but think that either Exetel is hanging by a thin thread ready to fall into the labyrinth along with all the rest of the ISP's or end up going the same way as onetel a few years ago. The cost of rapid expansion can sometimes have unexpected outcomes.
You should make your own decisions in your own interests based on the facts you believe you have in your possession at any particular time.

If you believe Exetel is in financial trouble or will imminently cease business then you should make arrangements based on that scenario.

Personally I haven't heard that sort of stupidity for a very long time and I thought that sort of nonsensical comment about Exetel died out years ago as we continued to 'survive' year after year for over six years despite the constant claims of our imminent demise, by competitors, - but obviously not.

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I'm not sure how to make the situation any clearer.

From March 1st free SMS, free Fax and Free VoIP inclusions will no longer be available.

If any customer believes that is detrimental to their usage they are free to move to another ISP and there will be no early termination charge.

If any person is currently using an Exetel DID they keep the DID with the only difference being that if they make VoIP calls they will be charged at the current VoIP rates.
Actually, the original message made no mention of Naked DSL plans, and so it was not clear.
peterjc wrote:Ok, so we are losing $10 worth of voip calls, with notice. I am more concerned about the $5.00 plan price increases and activating charges,without notice.

Yesterday, I could change my plan for FREE or $25.00 with a speed change. Today, "BTW" it will cost at least $90.00 to make any changes at all. Over twelve months this equates to $7.50 a month. End result a $12.50 increase per month access charges plus the loss of voip calls.

I have both my home and business with Exetel and have been very happy, but there has been so many changes in the last six months or so I cannot help but think that either Exetel is hanging by a thin thread ready to fall into the labyrinth along with all the rest of the ISP's or end up going the same way as onetel a few years ago. The cost of rapid expansion can sometimes have unexpected outcomes.
And as the above message notes, the obvious sudden increase in plan change costs that miraculously coincides with a large number of users being forced to change plans needs to be explained. Like all here, I signed up to a plan that I thought would be honoured - I mean I am contractually obliged to - but obviously exetel sees no need to do so. This is called gouging unless this can be either better explained, or all those who are basically being forced to change - or leave exetel (not sure how this helps out the company) can be allowed to change plans mid contract free of charge you are going to have a significant proportion that choose the leaving option.

Can this please be rationally commented on.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Ravenous wrote:$90 to migrate across plans (no line speed change) is a sting in the tail that is for sure. Nasty! I can sympathise with the old plan customers perception of being 'gouged'. I neither can think of a reason why this is the case, please correct me if I am wrong?

Could Exetel please reconsider for those who would like to 'upgrade' plans in terms of download allowance (i.e. encouragement to spend more per month) and instead apply the change fee for those who wish to downgrade their plans (i.e. disincentive to spend less per month) ?

Cheers.
Perhaps you should wait and see whether the plan change fee changes, as it often does, and becomes lower than the current charges.

If you have been an Exetel customer for a while you would probably already realise that we regularly change activation fees, and in this instance, plan change fees to either encourage or discourage new and current users from doing various things if we think the anticipated volumes of transactions will be difficult to deal with.

Right now the very rapid increase in new applications is something we want to slow down.

Similarly we want to re-align many aspects of different plans to avoid growing confusion. In the past we did this by 'forcing' current customers to move from previous plans to new plans to avoid having different conditions - for the past almost two years we have not done this which has resulted in to may old plans with too many different different 'inclusions' and disparities between the off peak periods and the allowances in those periods.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes/is going to cause but it is a necessary 'clean up' that, hopefully, when it is concluded, will be of equal benefit to all users.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

So I am on the 8mb/s 30/60gb plan, what can I change to? If Exetel has offered better value in new plans I am failing to see it my case.
All I can do is drop speed by 500% or drop downloads by about the same. Either that or just put up and shut up with my current plan and lose $15-$20 potential value each month and probably have my plan axed in the future anyway...
The only way I can see to go is out!
ps if you want to slow down new sign ups your going the right way about it without upping the signup fee...

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Topgunn wrote:So I am on the 8mb/s 30/60gb plan, what can I change to? If Exetel has offered better value in new plans I am failing to see it my case.
All I can do is drop speed by 500% or drop downloads by about the same.
Ditto, ditto, and .... ditto
Ravenous wrote:The Older Plans are now completely irrelevant (in my unqualified opinion).
What am I supposed to do then ? I'm getting 7Mb on ADSL1 and can't get ADSL 2. How irrelevant in my 8mb exetel plan, in your opinion ? 1.5Mb is not really an improvement,

Munka

Post by Munka » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Similarly we want to re-align many aspects of different plans to avoid growing confusion. In the past we did this by 'forcing' current customers to move from previous plans to new plans to avoid having different conditions - for the past almost two years we have not done this which has resulted in to may old plans with too many different different 'inclusions' and disparities between the off peak periods and the allowances in those periods.
I am probably missing something here, but upping the change plan fee, doesn't that make it more certain that people on older plans will retain them to avoid that fee?
Munka

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Perhaps you should wait and see whether the plan change fee changes, as it often does, and becomes lower than the current charges.
Shouldn't you know this information and provide it for customer certainty??
ForumAdmin wrote:If you have been an Exetel customer for a while you would probably already realise that we regularly change activation fees, and in this instance, plan change fees to either encourage or discourage new and current users from doing various things if we think the anticipated volumes of transactions will be difficult to deal with.

Right now the very rapid increase in new applications is something we want to slow down.
Are you serious that you didn't see this coming? If you strip out inclusions in a plan, people will want to change plans to a plan that they want. This decision was always going to eventuate in an increase in plan changes - and so as before, how can this not be seen as gouging customers, unless we go by your "fingers crossed" approach.
ForumAdmin wrote:Similarly we want to re-align many aspects of different plans to avoid growing confusion. In the past we did this by 'forcing' current customers to move from previous plans to new plans to avoid having different conditions - for the past almost two years we have not done this which has resulted in to may old plans with too many different different 'inclusions' and disparities between the off peak periods and the allowances in those periods.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes/is going to cause but it is a necessary 'clean up' that, hopefully, when it is concluded, will be of equal benefit to all users.
I appreciate this, and respect the changed tone.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 pm

staunts wrote:ForumAdmin,

Yes, it is very clear. But what type of company gets someone to sign up and then within a few months tell them that you are withdrawing the services that made the difference between your company and the myriad of others out there.

I spent considerable amounts of time, paid an early termination fee from my other provider and paid your connection fee to come to Exetel. I don't find it very honourable to move the goal posts when people make a choice to sign up for a plan that in a whim you feel needs to change. It may not seem much, but 100 free calls made the difference for me.

Will you refund the connection fee I paid given that it was only a few months ago ?

Or will you do the right thing and just let the plan stay the way it is.

Adam
If you do decide to move away to another ISP and you are within an initial contact term when you do that you could then apply for a pro rata refund of your original activation fee.

LordS

Post by LordS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Topgunn wrote:So I am on the 8mb/s 30/60gb plan, what can I change to? If Exetel has offered better value in new plans I am failing to see it my case.
All I can do is drop speed by 500% or drop downloads by about the same. Either that or just put up and shut up with my current plan and lose $15-$20 potential value each month and probably have my plan axed in the future anyway...
The only way I can see to go is out!
ps if you want to slow down new sign ups your going the right way about it without upping the signup fee...
Seems we're in the same boat =/

Unfortunately due to how much telstra charge Exetel for 8mbit we're quite possibly unprofitable customers =/

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 pm

JJDisco wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Perhaps you should wait and see whether the plan change fee changes, as it often does, and becomes lower than the current charges.
Shouldn't you know this information and provide it for customer certainty??
ForumAdmin wrote:If you have been an Exetel customer for a while you would probably already realise that we regularly change activation fees, and in this instance, plan change fees to either encourage or discourage new and current users from doing various things if we think the anticipated volumes of transactions will be difficult to deal with.

Are you serious that you didn't see this coming? If you strip out inclusions in a plan, people will want to change plans to a plan that they want. This decision was always going to eventuate in an increase in plan changes - and so as before, how can this not be seen as gouging customers, unless we go by your "fingers crossed" approach.
ForumAdmin wrote:Similarly we want to re-align many aspects of different plans to avoid growing confusion. In the past we did this by 'forcing' current customers to move from previous plans to new plans to avoid having different conditions - for the past almost two years we have not done this which has resulted in to may old plans with too many different different 'inclusions' and disparities between the off peak periods and the allowances in those periods.

I appreciate this, and respect the changed tone.
We can do nothing about how you, or any other individual, sees this or any other action taken by Exetel in the six years of our existence.

If you see this as "gouging" customers then that is your view. Personally I am living in the house I bought long before I became involved with Exetel and my, now, six year old car was was a slight downgrade on the six year old car it replaced a month or so after Exetel commenced and that was by way of a necessary trade in. I and the two other Exetel founders received their first salary increase in six years on January 1st 2010 which took my personal remuneration to $A150,000 per annum for the privilege of working an average of 75 hours a week for the last 72 months. If you call that "gouging" then none of the proceeds are going to the working owners of the business - and there are no others.

Exetel makes around $A1.2 million dollars profit a year of which $A400,000 goes to supporting endangered species, $A400,00 goes to the ATO and the balance mainly goes to investments in additional equipment and other things needed for a growing network.

Exetel makes approximately $1.00 'profit each month from providing each service to our customers - do you really think that is a "gouging" profit margin?

To the person who sarcastically said in this thread "you're welcome to my 50 cents" - thank you - that, if it were true, be a 50% increase in the profit we would make each month per customer. Of course that would have to assume that we could deliver a VoIP call for zero cost.

benwilson

Post by benwilson » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Understandably, the data transfer of 100 free VoIP calls per month per user needs to be paid for. In order to maintain a stable customer base surely it would make good commercial sense to offer to existing customers alternatives - dropping free VoIP, paying 10c per call (the new, unconsulted default) or a reduction in the monthly paid-for usage allowance? I imagine that the argument could be that "not everybody uses their full allowance anyway", but the reality is that that allowance is paid for, the possibility is allowed for that it may occur and therefore is (should be) factored into operating costs. I really value my 100 uncharged VoIP calls a month. I'm happy paying $45 a month for a 1500/256 service. Strewth, I'd even pay $50 for it with free VoIP - come to think of it, it was $50 when I started the plan, but it was proudly announced a few months later that Exetel was doing us a favour and reducing the cost to $45. I've been a user of Exetel - at various addresses, all consecutive - since its inception as a service provider. I've recommended to countless people Exetel's services based on value for money and quality of supplied service. I would be more than happy to go from 12Gb a month to perhaps 8Gb in order to reduce Exetel's overheads and maintain the service and inclusions I signed up for less than 12 months ago - April last year.

"From March 1st free SMS, free Fax and Free VoIP inclusions will no longer be available. If any customer believes that is detrimental to their usage they are free to move to another ISP and there will be no early termination charge."

A typical Exetel "rack off if you don't like it" statement. Paradoxically Exetel is trying to reduce the number of new applications while alienating many current and loyal 6+ years customers. I really don't understand why I should be paying too much more for what I currently enjoy while there are apparently unexplored realistic alternatives as outlined above.

I suspect this will be Exetel's most unpopular decision for a very long time.

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

FA,

I have no problem paying for what I use in the way of SMSs or VoIP. As the usage pattern on one of my accounts is very low, I thought I'd change plans.
So I went into the user facilities & changed from a PTL A plan to the NF/20BYOLINE and this is the email that I received....

We have received your change plan request.

Your current plan is : PTL A
Your requested plan is: NF/20BYOLINE
Your requested change of plan date: Tuesday February 2, 2010 04:46 pm

Please note:

I agree to pay $90.00 to change plan.
I understand that this $90.00 fee will be debited on the first working day of next month together with my monthly plan access fee.[/b]
I agree to pay additional $25.00 if my selected plan requires a line speed change.
I understand that this $25.00 fee will be debited on the first working day of next month together with my monthly plan access fee.
I agree to the plan change fee being debited to my credit card/bank account.
I agree that a change of address incurs a new contract period of six months from the date of activation.
If you move to another plan, there will currently be a charge of $25.00 if a change of speed is required and no charge if there is no change of line speed. The charge for changing plans varies from time to time and you should check close to the time that you are considering changing plans.
You must have submitted a plan change request on or before the last day of any month.
Any change you make will not come in to effect, in terms of downloads or reduced or increased monthly access charges, until the 1st of the following month. Any change in speed will not come in to effect until the second working day of the month.

Exetel Pty Ltd
Contact email: residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Don't you think $90 to change plans is a bit rich, considering I'm not moving from ADSL1 to ADSL2 & that the process to change plans would be fully automated.

I've since cancelled the plan change, until this matter is cleared up

IanS

Strat

Post by Strat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Exetel makes approximately $1.00 'profit each month from providing each service to our customers
So I guess my $90 plan change fee should cover your profits for the next 90 months?

Honestly Exetel, I've been a customer for close to 3 years and never had an issue with service, support, cost etc.

I'm happy to increase my now 'extinct' plan to a current one, but charging me $90 for the privilege?

No thanks, I'll just stay on my older, cheaper plan till you guys decide to fix this nonsense.

I can understand scraping the free VOIP that's fine. It was costing you money. But a $90 fee to change my plan. Surely this is a fully automated system with no cost to your company?

I didn't sign up with Telstra, Optus etc to stay away from such greed. Please don't follow in their footsteps.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I'm not sure how to make the situation any clearer.

From March 1st free SMS, free Fax and Free VoIP inclusions will no longer be available.
Just to confirm, this refers to all plans?....the original email only mentioned ADSL 1/2.

So (old) HSPA plans - like my HSPA M1 HA - will not be getting free sms/voip?

PS. I only use about $4 worth of calls, and considering I got a Pioneer Discount increase, I don't mind that much...

philled

Post by philled » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm on the INC2DSLC plan which I only signed up to 8 months ago, so I'm assuming that this doesn't qualify as an "Old Plan". I also bought a $5 DID and I believe I get a number of free VoIP calls with that (50 is it)? Will I lose these free VoIP calls, even though this is not an old plan?