Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
scottb721

Re: Withdrawal Of Free Included Services On Older Plans

Post by scottb721 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: The cost to Exetel of providing any customer with an 8192 plan with 12 gb of peak downloads is approximately $61.90 excluding support and other overhead charges.
They're making a tidy sum from my $75/month in that case.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I felt compelled to register my dissatisfaction at the material change to the contract including the price to switch to alternative plans that is stated as being restrictive action. To remain silent could indicate acceptance, so I request that the plan change fee be waived for those seeking to make a change after the withdrawal of the inclusions. That would be an equitable solution to Exetel's customer base.

Have fun!

R

pizzicato

Post by pizzicato » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Exetel is well aware that it costs Naked users and those on the Optus bundle a fortune to change ISPs, since their lines must be returned to Telstra first, incurring charges and contract obligations each step of the way. Exetel has those customers over a barrel and seems to want to make the most of it.

Exetel also seems to want to punish moderate and considerate users who have never abused any of the facilities offered. I'm referring to people who download 10-30GB per month on average with an occasional spike, make moderate use of VOIP, SMS etc. The new plans are moving further and further out of their reach and all the nice little bonuses which made Exetel so attractive have now been canned without notice. Surely a sliding scale might have been considered.

Top that off with a plan change fee almost tantamount to the charge for a new service. It has been suggested that that charge is an interim measure, a note to that effect in the letter to all users would have been a good move. Exetel has any number of customers who get on with their lives, don't cause trouble, and don't haunt the forums!

Exetel has gained 3 new customers on my recommendation, one of them very recent. Right now I'm very, very sorry about that. There won't be any more.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 pm

pizzicato wrote:Exetel is well aware that it costs Naked users and those on the Optus bundle a fortune to change ISPs, since their lines must be returned to Telstra first, incurring charges and contract obligations each step of the way. Exetel has those customers over a barrel and seems to want to make the most of it.

Exetel also seems to want to punish moderate and considerate users who have never abused any of the facilities offered. I'm referring to people who download 10-30GB per month on average with an occasional spike, make moderate use of VOIP, SMS etc. The new plans are moving further and further out of their reach and all the nice little bonuses which made Exetel so attractive have now been canned without notice. Surely a sliding scale might have been considered.

Top that off with a plan change fee almost tantamount to the charge for a new service. It has been suggested that that charge is an interim measure, a note to that effect in the letter to all users would have been a good move. Exetel has any number of customers who get on with their lives, don't cause trouble, and don't haunt the forums!

Exetel has gained 3 new customers on my recommendation, one of them very recent. Right now I'm very, very sorry about that. There won't be any more.
It doesn't cost you anything to move to Optus, or another ISP using Optus DSL2 ports.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 pm

scottb721 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: The cost to Exetel of providing any customer with an 8192 plan with 12 gb of peak downloads is approximately $61.90 excluding support and other overhead charges.
They're making a tidy sum from my $75/month in that case.
Don't forget that the $61.90 excludes support and other overhead charges.

pizzicato

Post by pizzicato » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:04 pm

[quote="James"][quote="pizzicato"]Exetel is well aware that it costs Naked users and those on the Optus bundle a fortune to change ISPs, since their lines must be returned to Telstra first, incurring charges and contract obligations each step of the way. Exetel has those customers over a barrel and seems to want to make the most of it.

Exetel has gained 3 new customers on my recommendation, one of them very recent. Right now I'm very, very sorry about that. There won't be any more.[/quote]

It doesn't cost you anything to move to Optus, or another ISP using Optus DSL2 ports.[/quote]

Oh my word, one choice!

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:10 pm

What is the point of having a contract and not sticking to it Exetel? I have a feeling you are just playing with us by promising the customers with all the goodies so we can sign up, once you have enough customers all deals disappeared. I will surely look for a different provider to see if i can get a better deal.

philled

Post by philled » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 pm

philled wrote:I'm on the INC2DSLC plan which I only signed up to 8 months ago, so I'm assuming that this doesn't qualify as an "Old Plan". I also bought a $5 DID and I believe I get a number of free VoIP calls with that (50 is it)? Will I lose these free VoIP calls, even though this is not an old plan?
Can anyone confirm whether the INC2DSLC plan was one of the "old plans"?

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I would say that any plan that is not currently advertised on the exetel website, is an old plan.
Therefore, using my logic, the INC2DSLC is an old plan.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm

roby wrote:Ihave just caught up with all of this I am on a naked adsl plane with the 100 free calls now that the free calls go is there a charge if I change to a current plan and also do I keep the voip automatically
Right now it's 90 big ones to change plans, which is what the majority of us users are unhappy about. The VOIP stays as it is now, only you pay for all calls beginning with the first call of the month, instead of the 101st with the free calls. To my knowledge you still get the DID number at no cost as part of the internet plan, whether you make calls or not.

datax1969

Post by datax1969 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm still unclear as to whether the price list - 5c for a VOIP landline call and 15c/min for VOIP to mobile - applies only to those on old plans who have had the freebies stripped away or if its across all the plans.

I assumed it was the latter and considered switching plans. Seeing that the freebies are gone, I could pay $5 extra for an extra 15Gb of peak - not bad. But then I found out about the $90! My outrage was barely containable. Did you guys recently employ an accountant from Telstra? "Hmm, how can I increase profits? I know, lets rape the customers for a service that doesn't actually cost anything to provide".

I've since calmed down a bit after reading the posts here and the promise that a package system of some sort is in the offing. Some mention of that in the email would have been nice.

However, there is still that lingering feeling of distaste. Since signing up with Exetel about 16 months ago I have been pleasantly surprised and even amazed at their fanatstic attitude toward customers. Without lifting a finger I regularly received more off-peak quota and extra services bundled in. I was stunned at the effort made to communicate with customers alerting them of new plans, and took the option once to switch to a plan that more suited my needs - this was painless and free!

How disappointing. This change plus the $90 switch fee is like finding out that my dear old granny is a drug dealer. I was willing to understand the need to cut the freebies and thought that the new pricing was quite fair, but with the $90 changeover fee I'm afraid you guys have severely dented my goodwill towards Exetel. From the tone of the other posts here it looks like many others feel the same. Was it worth it?

I picked your post at random.

One last time.

The current pan change fee is a temporary disincentive to change plans until Exetel clear the backlog and make some now required, previously unplanned, arrangements.

In March, or before if we complete the required work, the plan change fee will return to what it was previously.

Over the 6 years of our existence we have varied the plan change fee more than a dozen times and we will undoubtedly do that again in the future.

Overwhelmingly the actual plan changes made over the past 6 years have been beneficial to the customer and, again, that is likely to be the case in the future.

Was it worth it? Exetel has run the business in the best interests of its customers for the past 6 years. It has always been "worth it" to those people who have been our customers - they get the most for the least possible at all times.

Is it personally worth it? Never has been and I doubt it ever will be to me personally but it is worth it in terms of the things that Exetel's continued existence makes possible.

meherenow

Post by meherenow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Why did Exetel decide to completely strip away the freebies and knowingly cause such an upset with customers by taking them away without warning and then increasing the fee to $90 or $115 just to change plans. Why not at least reduce the number of free services to say 5 or 10 calls and a few free texts, to at least keep the customers happy, but know that we can't have it all for free?
ForumAdmin wrote:As I have said several times - the current high change plan fee is to reduce the number of plan changes being processed to a manageable number.
This is nothing but a lame attempt to justify the astonishing increase in a fee that has rarely existed in the past. And how could a company that professes to care about the customers interests more than anything else, make such shocking an uncomprimising changes to their plans and fees.

I too like a lot of other people regularly refer friends and family to change to Exetel for a few reasons, low start up costs, very fair peak and off peak limits and prices, and little freebies like free texts and Voip calls. Obviously now I will be discouraging anyone from signing up to Exetel. I only ever felt this way whenever I heard someone mention they were thinking of signing up with 'Telstra'!.

Ok, i feel a little better. Plenty more to say but lets leave it there for now....

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:06 pm

meherenow wrote:Why not at least reduce the number of free services to say 5 or 10 calls and a few free texts, to at least keep the customers happy, but know that we can't have it all for free?
Or why not have the "packs" of services (as per FA's post) advertised in the letter...."Dear customer, your 100 free VoIP calls will no longer be available on your plan, instead you may purchase a 50 VoIP call pack for $2.00 per month or pay $0.10 per call" etc.

Also explain why all of the changes are necessary in the email (plan fee hikes, change plan $90 fee etc), would have saved a lot of agro if people are in the picture

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

IanS wrote:
meherenow wrote:Why not at least reduce the number of free services to say 5 or 10 calls and a few free texts, to at least keep the customers happy, but know that we can't have it all for free?
Or why not have the "packs" of services (as per FA's post) advertised in the letter...."Dear customer, your 100 free VoIP calls will no longer be available on your plan, instead you may purchase a 50 VoIP call pack for $2.00 per month or pay $0.10 per call" etc.

Also explain why all of the changes are necessary in the email (plan fee hikes, change plan $90 fee etc), would have saved a lot of agro if people are in the picture
Hindsight is a great thing, but regardless we always try and do our best by our users.

NedKelly

Post by NedKelly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I guess the way I see it is this (correct me if I am wrong).

Exetel changed plans recently. I didnt sign up to emails for new plans so I dont know when was the last change to the current plans.
However as per usual from what I suspect exetel can see based on previous experience is that majority of the clients do not really care (at least I didnt). So most people dont know or know but didnt really want to make the bother to change to a new plan possibly because
a) too troublesome
b) new plan means new contract. Some clients may have just recently moved house and paid relocation fees and didnt want to pay anymore, some may have just upgraded, some have plans to move in the near future and decide to hold until they move...
so really, new customers are those recommended or found out abt exetel and signing up...
Work load is as normal.

However, (esp if exetel have recently introduced these new plans), exetel has now seen a need to stop the free voips and sms. AND they know/foresee the moment the send THE email out, everyone gets a shock/awaken by the "shock". Suddenly everyone (including me) logs on, checks new plans and LO and BEHOLD ... realised exetel had introduced plans waaay more attractive than their current one (*waves my hand).
My plan which I signed on 1.5years ago: Naked ADSL2, $50/month, 18gb+52gb, $3/gb excess going to be non-free VOIP+SMS
Current equivalent: Naked ADSL2, $55/month, 30gb+60gb, $0.50/gb excess going to be non-free VOIP+SMS

NOW every single customer wants to swap over.
I dont know HOW automated this swapping over is.. Is it just req for a client to click on the change plan button and tada you get instant new plan quotas?
or really by pressing the button, it automatically generates the forms similar to ones you filled up when you first signed up and mails them to exetel. WHO then needs to file, make changes, etc etc?
So the slap of $90 price change is actually a deterrent for current customers to NOT change plans but to hold out until things have settled down.
Truthfully how many of you would have changed plans yesterday/today/tomorrow if THE EMAIL had not arrived in ur mail box?

For me, I will hold out and monitor the fees for change of plans. If it did come down in a few months as hinted, then that would be when I may switch.