Wireless Internet Included In ADSL Plan Prices

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
PM

Re: Wireless Internet Included In ADSL Plan Prices

Post by PM » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 am

Don't know whether this is still under consideration by Exetel, but any wireless backup should be offered as complimentary to existing ADSL services. Not as a purely backup service if ADSL line sync is lost. Line sync issues are a rarety, so there would be little incentive (or requirement) for the vast majority of ADSL users to want a purely backup service, as most of us can actually survive an ADSL outage for a few hours or even a day.

I fully understand that there are mission critical users, including business users who don't want the inconvenience of loosing their service. A complimentary wireless service should help most of these.

A purely backup service will generate little income for Exetel, where as a complimentary service marketed for use away from the fixed line service and on holidays will generate some revenue. This is how I use my wireless serivce. I already consider it a complimentary service to my ADSL one and also as a backup.

As has already been suggested, the 1.5 cents per megabyte without the $60/year ($5/month) charge would suit low data usage as well as a "backup" if needed.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:34 am

PM wrote:Don't know whether this is still under consideration by Exetel, but any wireless backup should be offered as complimentary to existing ADSL services. Not as a purely backup service if ADSL line sync is lost. Line sync issues are a rarety, so there would be little incentive (or requirement) for the vast majority of ADSL users to want a purely backup service, as most of us can actually survive an ADSL outage for a few hours or even a day.

I fully understand that there are mission critical users, including business users who don't want the inconvenience of loosing their service. A complimentary wireless service should help most of these.

A purely backup service will generate little income for Exetel, where as a complimentary service marketed for use away from the fixed line service and on holidays will generate some revenue. This is how I use my wireless serivce. I already consider it a complimentary service to my ADSL one and also as a backup.

As has already been suggested, the 1.5 cents per megabyte without the $60/year ($5/month) charge would suit low data usage as well as a "backup" if needed.
Complementary or complimentary? We can't offer a complimentary service, there has to be some cost for it, as we pay a per service fee regardless of usage to Optus Wholesale.

PM

Post by PM » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:03 pm

James wrote:Complementary or complimentary? We can't offer a complimentary service, there has to be some cost for it, as we pay a per service fee regardless of usage to Optus Wholesale.
OK! Complimentary means "offered freely". I'm not suggesting that. Exetel arn't a charity when I last checked. So how about a Complementary wireless service to get the grammar correct?

David R

Post by David R » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Smaller ISPs will have their hands busy getting DSL competitive/stripped to as low a cost as possible alongside the major carriers I would think - so bundling in wireless, read - passing along a $5-10 monthly extra/added atop, will advantage few subscribers (if anyone really wants that). Thus we find no reason for it not to remain an un-enforced/add-on/option'.
David R wrote:I would prefer it be a separate (1)gigabyte@$40.00-use for emergencies and renew it every 'up to' six months.
CoreyPlover wrote:I'm in two minds about this concept.
Exetel were previously directing things towards standalone services without extras. I really like this as a concept because it means users can mix and match plans and add-ons to suit their needs.
Spectator wrote:Personally I prefer a pay for what you use model to bundling things in at a higher price.
A pre-paid wireless account with a very long credit might be another option.
David R wrote:For instance, take an average $45.00 ADSL account, you'd tick the $5 HSDPA "checkbox" and get a 0.95 * $50.00 = to a new monthly cost of only 47.50 for the two services combined. Usage@1.5-1.4cents/MB
gong_guy wrote:2GB with one year expiry or data usage whatever comes first. backup solution.
vk3xem wrote:I would certainly like such a product.
zencloud wrote:The problem is there are no wireless services that are well suited to a backup role. Postpaid have monthly charges, Exetel charge $60/year without any usage. For prepaid, small quantities of credits expire too quickly,
PM wrote:A purely backup service will generate little income for Exetel, where as a complimentary[sic] service marketed for use away from the fixed line service and on holidays will generate some revenue. This is how I use my wireless serivce[sic]. I already consider it a complimentary[sic] service to my ADSL one and also as a backup.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

jubba

Post by jubba » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I'm in two minds about this concept.
If it were bundled in any way, I'd suggest the Pay-as-you-go option is the best (absorb the $5 monthly fee into the bundled price and offer 1.5c/MB usage on the HSPA service). I also think (and I think this should occur on all HSPA plans actually) that the disconnection after 2 months of inactivity should be removed.
i've actually been thinking of getting wireless internet as a backup for a while. I think that kind of plan might work. Basically if I'd be using it may be once or twice a year depending, the way i see it now. (But i suspect i'll probably end up using it for more things than just as a back up to existing adsl).

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Until price structures change it is going to be difficult to do with ADSL .

In the event that 'NBN2' becomes a reality it will become more possible and we are still trying to find a sensible way of providing wireless with a fibre solution should that become a reality for Exetel.

We see it as more than a back up solution as, even in personal use, there are a large number of times when you can use wireless internet in your laptop when you go away for the weekend or on holidays or just to the beach or while you're waiting to pick up your children or waiting for your wife/husband.

PM

Post by PM » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We see it as more than a back up solution as, even in personal use, there are a large number of times when you can use wireless internet in your laptop when you go away for the weekend or on holidays or just to the beach or while you're waiting to pick up your children or waiting for your wife/husband.
So do I. Have used Exetel wireless a few times recently whilst looking at potential real estate purchases. Pull up outside a house with a for sale sign. Go to realestate.com.au and get more info on the house.
VERY useful!

Smithy

Post by Smithy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Just going to throw my two cents worth in here but why not something a little different with say:

Prepaid wireless service pay $x for the sim + $y if you need hardware then buy whatever bandwidth you wish as you currently would however adding in the signup option to "attatch" it to an existing ADSL account in which the only thing which would change is while your ADSL account is in good standing their is no expiry date on the bandwidth.

I currently use exetel ADSL for home and a cheap nasty $150 - 15Gb 12 month expiry for out and about browsing, if I had to pay a bit more for my data I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to feel compelled to use it up within a timeframe :)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Times change, very often this year, and we are now finalising an 'included' Wireless Broadband offer.

So.......having looked at this thread several times and taken notice of various suggestions how about something like this:

1) No monthly charge/no cut off for no use

2) $25.00 activation including shipment of sim

3) No minimum monthly usage

4) Casual usage at 1.75 cents per mb

5) Available to users of Exetel ADSL2 plans

6) Wireless modems avaialable at preferential pricing if needed

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Times change, very often this year, and we are now finalising an 'included' Wireless Broadband offer.

So.......having looked at this thread several times and taken notice of various suggestions how about something like this:

1) No monthly charge/no cut off for no use

2) $25.00 activation including shipment of sim

3) No minimum monthly usage

4) Casual usage at 1.75 cents per mb

5) Available to users of Exetel ADSL2 plans

6) Wireless modems avaialable at preferential pricing if needed
sounds excellent

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm

sounds great and i would order one immediately. The turn off in the past is that when you did not need to use it you still have to pay a min monthly fee this way i can pay for what i use and no more.

Great work.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:5) Available to users of Exetel ADSL2 plans
What about probably 95% of customers that only have access to ADSL1 plans? Sounds a bit unfair to me!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 pm

95% ?

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:how about something like this:

Sounds perfect!!! Especially if there's a problem or if away on Hols/Work :!: :D

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 pm

vk3xem wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:5) Available to users of Exetel ADSL2 plans
What about probably 95% of customers that only have access to ADSL1 plans? Sounds a bit unfair to me!
The 'deal' we've been able to do with Optus makes it possible to offer such a service on Optus plans.

We have been looking at doing something similar for Telstra ADSL1 plans but.....Telstra charge us more than three times what Optus charge us for the monthly port prices for an 8192/384 service and a little less than double for a 1500 service.

We make absolutely no money on the ADSL1 plans at the moment and to offer something for 'free' would send us broke.

We have asked Telstra each year for lower pricing but they simply say no, or impose absolutely impossible conditions, and are content to take our $A1.5 million every month and effectively tell us to "go .... ourselves".