Wireless Internet Included In ADSL Plan Prices

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
nihonjin

Re: Wireless Internet Included In ADSL Plan Prices

Post by nihonjin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

are you suggesting that this will only be for adsl2+ users on optus plans and not for other adsl2+ users ie aapt/powertel plans?

thanks.

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:38 pm

I like it very much. Well done.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 am

Too bad there is no silver lining for us (losers) on ADSL 1.
ForumAdmin wrote:6) Wireless modems avaialable at preferential pricing if needed
  • Will you confirm whether the sim used in this offer as well as in the Exetel Recharge product range, will also be accepted/suitable in generic hspa model handsets ("Mobile as a Modem")-because I own a windows mobile platform device myself, and it is natural I link *it* with my laptop computer (rather than Optus's dongle...redundant waste) ie when I am not using it for mobile_voip, Google maps +other outdoor apps. It's my all-in-one solution, or nothing (I have existing hardware).
Passing that check... $25-sim on "$30/2GB/ 90 Days + TWO CONSECUTIVE [months(/reminder)]-plan R2000 looks reasonable.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 am

nihonjin wrote:are you suggesting that this will only be for adsl2+ users on optus plans and not for other adsl2+ users ie aapt/powertel plans?

thanks.
No - but we need to finalise our pricing with AAPT before we can offer it on BYO ADSL2 plans.

I don't anticiate that being a problem.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 am

David R wrote:Too bad there is no silver lining for us (losers) on ADSL 1.
ForumAdmin wrote:6) Wireless modems avaialable at preferential pricing if needed
  • Will you confirm whether the sim used in this offer as well as in the Exetel Recharge product range, will also be accepted/suitable in generic hspa model handsets ("Mobile as a Modem")-because I own a windows mobile platform device myself, and it is natural I link *it* with my laptop computer (rather than Optus's dongle...redundant waste) ie when I am not using it for mobile_voip, Google maps +other outdoor apps. It's my all-in-one solution, or nothing (I have existing hardware).
Passing that check... $25-sim on "$30/2GB/ 90 Days + TWO CONSECUTIVE [months(/reminder)]-plan R2000 looks reasonable.
It is a generic sim that will work in any data capable hand set as far as I know.

tones

Post by tones » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 am

ForumAdmin wrote:It is a generic sim that will work in any data capable hand set as far as I know.
Have you also considered/negotiated any pricing for making regular mobile calls using the sim?

I would love to see an Exetel plan competing against the tpg "budget" pay as you go plan, for handset use.

Also a process for existing Optus HSPA users to port across to the new plan using their existing sim.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:18 pm

tones wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It is a generic sim that will work in any data capable hand set as far as I know.
Have you also considered/negotiated any pricing for making regular mobile calls using the sim?

I would love to see an Exetel plan competing against the tpg "budget" pay as you go plan, for handset use.

Also a process for existing Optus HSPA users to port across to the new plan using their existing sim.
What rates are you referring to?

tones

Post by tones » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I was referring to the call rates on the HSPA sim..

While the Exetel data rates are better for a mobile user, the tpg talk rate of 10c flagfall plus 9.9c per minute, billed per second is very tempting.

In terms of my mobile usage I am currently only a medium data (<200MB) and low call spend user. I generally schedule my larger downloads to happen at home and wait until I get to a landline if I am planning on chatting for long. I use my mobile for data more than calls so I have gone with an Exetel HSPA mobile sim but this makes me more reluctant to make calls as they are 50c per minute for the plan I am on whereas I pay 12c per minute using VOIP. (I did try VOIP over HSPA but find it doesn't work well enough for me yet)

I know I am a lower end user with a small monthly mobile spend and the market is less willing to cater for me, but, in my dreams I would like to see an Exetel plan (with no minimum spend) where I can use my mobile for calls at something closer to the tpg call rate but still get a decent rate per MB for my data.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Can a prepaid rechargeable plan sit in a dormant state for a couple of months following completion of the expiry (90 Days) window or would Optus/Exetel typically cancel it closer to its date of expiry? As an ADSL1-only customer I raised it under Recharge issue , hoping someone can confirm.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:27 pm

tones wrote:I was referring to the call rates on the HSPA sim..

While the Exetel data rates are better for a mobile user, the tpg talk rate of 10c flagfall plus 9.9c per minute, billed per second is very tempting.

In terms of my mobile usage I am currently only a medium data (<200MB) and low call spend user. I generally schedule my larger downloads to happen at home and wait until I get to a landline if I am planning on chatting for long. I use my mobile for data more than calls so I have gone with an Exetel HSPA mobile sim but this makes me more reluctant to make calls as they are 50c per minute for the plan I am on whereas I pay 12c per minute using VOIP. (I did try VOIP over HSPA but find it doesn't work well enough for me yet)

I know I am a lower end user with a small monthly mobile spend and the market is less willing to cater for me, but, in my dreams I would like to see an Exetel plan (with no minimum spend) where I can use my mobile for calls at something closer to the tpg call rate but still get a decent rate per MB for my data.
With MoIP available for practically any handset why would you ever use GSM rates?

The combination of Data and MoIP rates is far better than TPG's offer.

Get your wife/most called mobile number owners to use the same VoIP provider and the calls are free!

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 pm

David R wrote:Can a prepaid rechargeable plan sit in a dormant state for a couple of months following completion of the expiry (90 Days) window or would Optus/Exetel typically cancel it closer to its date of expiry? As an ADSL1-only customer I raised it under Recharge issue , hoping someone can confirm.
Again, if you use MoIP why would you ever consider pre-paying for calls?

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:23 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Again, if you use MoIP why would you ever consider pre-paying for calls?
I guess the issue is that MoIP does not integrate into the phone as well as, say, the phone itself. (Although I use MoIP when in good reception...)

Also, phone gets hot when using MoIP...(but I won't discuss it in this thread)

Back on topic, I think having a backup data sim (voice/no voice) is an excellent idea, and the 1.75c rate is equally excellent.

David R

Post by David R » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
David R wrote:Can a prepaid rechargeable plan sit in a dormant state for a couple of months following completion of the expiry (90 Days) window or would Optus/Exetel typically cancel it closer to its date of expiry? As an ADSL1-only customer I raised it under Recharge issue , hoping someone can confirm.
Again, if you use MoIP why would you ever consider pre-paying for calls?
I am past considering anything GSM, but was rather considering Exetel's Rechargeable Hspa for my simple low volume data needs (MoIP included). Pre-paid appeals very strongly to me because :
1) I'm ineligible for this ADSL2 +1.75c/MB special combo and 1.5c/MB is not a bad offer in its place, and also;
2) I appreciate that the entire plan is paid up font with my spend similarly 'capped' - very desirable;
3) its no major inconvenience having to click a check box once per 3- 4 months recharge, bypassing the risk of overage. (Now tell Optus that)

(To clarify what I'd asked)
While I am clear the R2000 2GB plan expires after the '90 Days' specified. I was not quite as sure whether the "TWO CONSECUTIVE MONTHS no usage" sim *cancellation* policy would apply strictly to those 90 days, or alternatively, could it also be permissive of one-to-two months' account inactivity outside/beyond the operating 90 days (ie a total timeline of ?150 days--the account effectively 'in limbo'--until eventually recharged)

"1) No monthly charge/no cut off for no use" <---I think that's clearly what it's all about. But, Even better with the safety of a $30.00-hard cap, in my opinion. So I'm willing to pay a nice globule of data in advance hopefully to check Optus out.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 am

David R wrote: I am past considering anything GSM, but was rather considering Exetel's Rechargeable Hspa for my simple low volume data needs (MoIP included). Pre-paid appeals very strongly to me because :
1) I'm ineligible for this ADSL2 +1.75c/MB special combo and 1.5c/MB is not a bad offer in its place, and also;
2) I appreciate that the entire plan is paid up font with my spend similarly 'capped' - very desirable;
3) its no major inconvenience having to click a check box once per 3- 4 months recharge, bypassing the risk of overage. (Now tell Optus that)

(To clarify what I'd asked)
While I am clear the R2000 2GB plan expires after the '90 Days' specified. I was not quite as sure whether the "TWO CONSECUTIVE MONTHS no usage" sim *cancellation* policy would apply strictly to those 90 days, or alternatively, could it also be permissive of one-to-two months' account inactivity outside/beyond the operating 90 days (ie a total timeline of ?150 days--the account effectively 'in limbo'--until eventually recharged)

"1) No monthly charge/no cut off for no use" <---I think that's clearly what it's all about. But, Even better with the safety of a $30.00-hard cap, in my opinion. So I'm willing to pay a nice globule of data in advance hopefully to check Optus out.
We'll give it some thought.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Is it possible to shape the wireless connection?

If so why not provide a very cheap "adsl add on" service where due to the price it is speed limited to something useful such as VOIP. (64/64k or 128/128?)

Definately no expiry and a small monthly "add on" fee.

Failover to wireless for an extra $5 month capped at some amount (maybe variable via user facilities) would be awesome.

Ron