Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
HomerSimpson

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by HomerSimpson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:58 pm

This has been asked earlier but I could not see it being answered above.

1) Does my contract period reset if I move to a new plan?
2) Shouldn't the $10 fee be waived as a goodwill gesture since Exetel are the one's breaking the contract? This fee seems to me to be unfair.

Regards,

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

HomerSimpson wrote:This has been asked earlier but I could not see it being answered above.

1) Does my contract period reset if I move to a new plan?
2) Shouldn't the $10 fee be waived as a goodwill gesture since Exetel are the one's breaking the contract? This fee seems to me to be unfair.

Regards,

1) No - you are passed the initial contract period so, as long as you don't change carrier infrastructure ie. move from ADSL1 to ADSL2 or vice versa or move from Powertel to Optus ADSL2 or vice versa then there is no new contract.

2) You don't have to change plans if you don't want to. There is no contract for either the customer or Exetel to 'break' - the initial contract period is over.

sable

Post by sable » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

tin wrote:
vkrickles wrote:Are Exetel hoping to make a quick buck by forcing a large number of plan changes and pocketing the "change fee"?
Isn't that fee only for line speed changes, and charged by Telstra anyway?
No it is a new plan change fee of $10 for all plans.

Not sure what happens if there is a line speed as well, I do know one is asked to agrre to pay $25, but maybe the page has not been adjusted yet.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm

tin wrote:
vkrickles wrote:Are Exetel hoping to make a quick buck by forcing a large number of plan changes and pocketing the "change fee"?
Isn't that fee only for line speed changes, and charged by Telstra anyway?
You could think that if you want to.

Alternatively you could consider that you aren't being required to change plans so it's irrelevant.

You could also consider that Exetel varies its plan change charges from time to time, some 15 times in the past six years and that right now a change from ADSL1 to Optus ADSL2 has no plan change charge and a $50.00 discount.

Also, for the first time in six years there is no charge to change speeds on an ADSL1 plan

Its a sort of glass half full/glass half empty perception thing.

100,000 different customers are almost certainly going to perceive everything their supplier does in different ways. Nothing that we have ever done has been 'approved of' by 100% of our customers.

blinddog

Post by blinddog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 pm

OK am I missing something?
My current plan is
TL-BA $45/month (this will now cost $50/month as of 1st April)
Peak Period Option: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): No Charge
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 1500/256

Now looking at my options
TL-C1 $45.00/month
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): No Charge
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
Service Line Speed: 1500/256

So I infact will be better off (by $5 post 1st april and extra gigs are cheaper) - What am I missing?

HomerSimpson

Post by HomerSimpson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Given the history of Exetel and changes to plans recently:

Is there any guarantee that i will not get a similar email in the next 6 months increasing my new (or existing if I do not change) plan or change its terms and/or conditions?

Consistency is essential for basic services and recently Exetel has failed in this area.
I do not wish to revisit this issue every few weeks/months as has been the case over the past 6 months.

tin

Post by tin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh well, $10 fee to change to a plan that's cheaper is worth it anyway. Even if it was only $1 cheaper per month, within a 12 months you're already saving.
Sucks for people who are finding their plans are cheaper than new ones, but that's life. You have to change service providers for all sorts every now and then because of changes to pricing.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:53 pm

HomerSimpson wrote:Is there any guarantee that i will not get a similar email in the next 6 months increasing my new (or existing if I do not change) plan or change its terms and/or conditions?
No. There is no guarantee. But you just need to look at testimonials to retain confidence in Exetel. I can't think of many (any?) negative example of terms and conditions changes (there have been many changes, but I consider most to be quite neutral, like the change in off-peaks times that was offset a few months later with new plan options to restore them, the changes in shaping to prevent leechers abusing Exetel, etc). I can think of plenty of positive ones though (reductions in excess usage from $3/GB to $0.50/GB, continually increasing quotas even when customers are on contract, etc)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

autron

Post by autron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Why are the BYO plans so much cheaper than the Optus plans? I would have thought there would be a benefit to taking the Exetel phone line but it is the other way around.

Unfortunately I am stuck on Optus.

RichS

Post by RichS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:15 pm

autron wrote:Why are the BYO plans so much cheaper than the Optus plans? I would have thought there would be a benefit to taking the Exetel phone line but it is the other way around.

Unfortunately I am stuck on Optus.
With the byo you have to add about $30 a month that you pay to someone else for the phone line. Check the details but the Optus plans include the line rental.

autron

Post by autron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

RichS wrote:With the byo you have to add about $30 a month that you pay to someone else for the phone line. Check the details but the Optus plans include the line rental.
Yes I understand that but even Telstra phone plans are cheaper than the notional charge for Optus phoneline. Plus you lose the CSG with the Optus phone and have inferior inclusions like having to pay extra for voicemail which is included free with the already cheaper Telstra rental.

The BYO plans are very cheap when compared to the Optus plans.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

autron wrote:The BYO plans are very cheap when compare to the Optus plans.
I agree. Generally, you save $2.50 per month ($30 per month for Exetel included line rental vs $27.50 for Telstra Homeline Complete) or $10 per month if are eligible for Homeline Budget, though most people aren't anymore.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

autron

Post by autron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:$10 per month if are eligible for Homeline Budget
I think Homeline Budget is $20.95 now but the other thing is that you get voicemail included with those costs but with the Optus phone it is another $3 per month. (I think it used to be $5).

Those people that can get the BYO plans are on a good wicket.

gedm

Post by gedm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:56 pm

mattski wrote:
fanscomputers wrote:Why wasn't I notified earlier that I could be saving money and downloading more?
Login to your "Members Facilities" and select "Information from Exetel". There you can choose which information is sent to you.
For example, the January Newsletter contained:
Many Plan Changes
As we have continued to negotiate lower rates with our IP providers we have been able to reduce the prices of many of our ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans. Please visit our pricing pages and if you see something that you like better than your current plan please go to the Exetel User Facilities to change your current plan.
I don't subscribe to the newsletter but I do subscribe to the New Plans and New Services newsletters. I haven't seen anything come through from those newsletters.

gedm

Post by gedm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Yesterday when I put in the ADSL2+ plan change request there was no fee for changing plan, and the plan I changed to was only $70 per month. I just noticed on the plan change page today that you are now quoting a $10 plan change fee and the plan I changed to has gone up to $75 per month.

Am I going get the plan change at no charge as originally quoted and is the plan going to be $70 per month as per the price when the change was requested?

I think I am going to have to look around at $75 per month... Unfortunately it may not just be my internet connection which leaves.