Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
cher

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by cher » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Gidget wrote:[
Since it was a volunteer (fellow customer) admin who provided that answer, the answer was not a "straight out lie" as you so nicely put it - it was an answer given in good faith based on knowledge at the time. I suggest you keep such comments to yourself in the future. Annoyance does not excuse outright rudeness.

Gidget
Why did Joklin make that statement if they did not have the right and knowledge to make them, I presumed as Admin they were some kind of employee or someone in the know, how am I meant to know they are a volunteer - it is not written in their profile. I just quoted facts as they had been replied to me. Maybe YOU should keep your outright rudeness and comments to yourself and keep your nose out and stop accusing people. Joklin surely could have replied to me himself, and maybe should have said 'I think" before the statement.

As all the official emails from Exetel tell you to read these forums for information, you would think they would have someone here to give the corrected information.

I don't come here a lot so can someone please tell me how I tell the difference from a Volunteer Admin and an Employeee Admin?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 pm

cher wrote:
I don't come here a lot so can someone please tell me how I tell the difference from a Volunteer Admin and an Employeee Admin?
Easy, the admins are all volunteers

what I wrote was correct at time of writing, it was changed after, I can't know the future unfortunately, doesn't make me a liar but thanks for jumping to the conclusion ;) I'm not sure why you think I would lie about this anyway so it's not really a great assumption to make

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm

jokiin wrote: there is still a lot of good info to be had here and plenty of help on offer for those that need it though
Agreed :)

cher

Post by cher » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm

I have another question - but I won't hold anyone to it - as I now know that there are no Exetel employees here.

If I check out the plans on offer without logging in I see that the off peak is midnight to midday, as it was when I first joined Exetel. I received an email in July telling me that the off peak had changed to 2am to 12noon, I just presumed this was for everyone.

The question is - if I change to one of the newly listed plans do I get the 12hours of off peak back or as I am an 'old' customer am I stuck with the 10 hours of off peak??

When I am logged in and check out the plans on offer (NOTEL) it doesn't mention what hours the peak and off peak are

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 pm

cher wrote:I have another question - but I won't hold anyone to it - as I now know that there are no Exetel employees here.

If I check out the plans on offer without logging in I see that the off peak is midnight to midday, as it was when I first joined Exetel. I received an email in July telling me that the off peak had changed to 2am to 12noon, I just presumed this was for everyone.

The question is - if I change to one of the newly listed plans do I get the 12hours of off peak back or as I am an 'old' customer am I stuck with the 10 hours of off peak??

When I am logged in and check out the plans on offer (NOTEL) it doesn't mention what hours the peak and off peak are
The hours are 12-12 for the new plans.

andcorp

Post by andcorp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 pm

James, i would like you to answer this in particular if possible

Why did you guys even bother with this rollercoaster experiment. The email you originally sent has to be at least to some degree a lie as the only 8Mb plan you offer now, is going to be the same price as you are raising it to, but giving more usage away. I am happy on my $85 soon to be $90 plan with 30/60, but now for the great deal of $90 i can get 50/50, so your excuse of not being cost effective seems highly unlikely.

I am annoyed at the sudden removal of the $60 6/12 plan as I had discussed it with my wife this morning only to see it gone already, but my guess is either someone screwed up, or at least didn't think it through. My calculations were on this plan 30GB peak would cost me only $72 and to get to the $90 which I will be paying soon I get 66GB, a real steal. Bet you guys were watching the plans change thinking "oh shit what have we done".

Anyway, the point of my post is really to ask why this change was necessary, other than to piss some people off, as anyone on the $85 plan like me is going to get more anyhow. I love exetel, and hope to stay with you guys, but when you pull crap like this it really makes me wonder whats going on. I know you don't ultimately care about the users, this has been demonstrated over and over in both the emails and forum comments. But I find it hard to even recommend Exetel to anyone with this shit happening.

Newb1e

Post by Newb1e » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:10 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Newb1e wrote: Can you please reply to the question "Are there any plans for an alternative 8k plan other than the one currently offered?"
No. The only plans offered are the plans that are on the website (or alternatively in your Member facilities).
I was directing it too Exetel staff the conversation after this clearly indicates why I would prefer they answer on this topic as it appears they aren't communicating too well. I mean no offence by this I value the time and effort every volunteer puts in, keeps Australia ticking.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 pm

cher wrote:
Gidget wrote:[
Since it was a volunteer (fellow customer) admin who provided that answer, the answer was not a "straight out lie" as you so nicely put it - it was an answer given in good faith based on knowledge at the time. I suggest you keep such comments to yourself in the future. Annoyance does not excuse outright rudeness.

Gidget
... Maybe YOU should keep your outright rudeness and comments to yourself and keep your nose out and stop accusing people.
Please post civilly in future and behave like an adult on this Forum or your posting rights will be curtailed.
Employees have the label "Exetel Staff" under their name in the right-hand column.

To make it easier for first-time or occasional visitors to the Forum to recognise Jokiin, Corey and I as volunteer admins I have added the word "Volunteer" in front of our "Site Admin" title in the hope we might avoid unpleasant abuse in the future (which should have no place on a Forum of reasonable adults in any event).

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 pm

andcorp wrote:James, i would like you to answer this in particular if possible

Why did you guys even bother with this rollercoaster experiment. The email you originally sent has to be at least to some degree a lie as the only 8Mb plan you offer now, is going to be the same price as you are raising it to, but giving more usage away. I am happy on my $85 soon to be $90 plan with 30/60, but now for the great deal of $90 i can get 50/50, so your excuse of not being cost effective seems highly unlikely.

I am annoyed at the sudden removal of the $60 6/12 plan as I had discussed it with my wife this morning only to see it gone already, but my guess is either someone screwed up, or at least didn't think it through. My calculations were on this plan 30GB peak would cost me only $72 and to get to the $90 which I will be paying soon I get 66GB, a real steal. Bet you guys were watching the plans change thinking "oh shit what have we done".

Anyway, the point of my post is really to ask why this change was necessary, other than to piss some people off, as anyone on the $85 plan like me is going to get more anyhow. I love exetel, and hope to stay with you guys, but when you pull crap like this it really makes me wonder whats going on. I know you don't ultimately care about the users, this has been demonstrated over and over in both the emails and forum comments. But I find it hard to even recommend Exetel to anyone with this shit happening.
I think you will find that we do care alot about what our users think, why do you think we have spent millions of dollars improving our support hours, their knowledge, and the scope of our offerings?

PsychoChicken

Post by PsychoChicken » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 pm

James wrote:
PsychoChicken wrote:.

Currently on INCPHONE B

So if I log on to my account and go here:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php

and go to Apply for:

Z/22INCTEL

will I lose my internet connection or is it Automatically switched over without any down time?

Is everything still the same (eg. Static IP .. etc.)... ?

TIA :)

Hi PC,

Everything would stay the same, it is just a billing change.

James
Thanks for that, James :)

Spectator

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old Plans

Post by Spectator » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Spectator wrote:
I'm surprised that:
a) these plans were found to be unprofitable so quickly;
b) the same $ increase applies to all plans regardless of base cost
When Exetel sets a plan price it does so on the basis of the then current costs for the port, the connection from the customer (as an average), the amount of downloads anticipated (as an average) and a small cost for overhead. This works well when Exetel 'forces' users of old plans to move to any new plan introduced once the initial contract period expires which we did for the first three years of our existence. For all sorts of valid reasons at the time we stopped doing that some 3+ years ago and some current users have been on an 'old plan' for almost four years.

Exetel always set plan prices to yield a profit of between $2 and $1 which was sensible for the period when any error in assumption was corrected by customers moving to new plans as they were released.

What has now happened, since we ceased that policy, is that the ongoing in operating costs (IP, overheads) have been more than (negatively) off set by the increasingly rapid growth of download usage by the 'average' customer on any particular plan.

The rapid acceptance of on line video sites such as UTube over the past three years has seen the average usage across all old plans double since the original assumptions were made resulting in almost all old plans costing Exetel more than we receive in month fees.

Plan costs no longer reduce as time goes by as in the 'good old days' because customer usage continues to grow.

Sometimes, as in recently, we get something very wrong in the assumptions we use in setting the plan.
Thanks for taking the time to try and explain. I would imagine exetel has some 'base' costs that are per service (eg line rental from wholesalers and administrative costs) and some that relate to level of usage (the data/bandwidth? that you buy). The reasons you have cited seem mostly around increased usage. I would have thought this would mean that the higher usage plans would be more unprofitable than lower use plans (as the average at a plan level on a 5GB plan has far less room to travel before reaching excess fees). Yet I think it was only the highest use plans that escaped the $5 increase in February and the newest 'Z' plans for March seem to increase the base price across the board by $5 again. If exetel is trying to ensure each plan is profitable and unprofitability has been caused by increased usage than shouldn't lower use plans increase by less (or not at all) than higher use plans? :? Or has the recent 'something very wrong in the assumptions' been in relation to those base costs?

As I'm under contract I'm not affected (yet) but it's harder to brag about what a great deal I'm on when it's not available anymore and the new equivalent is 25% more expensive.

Shadowcats

Post by Shadowcats » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:34 am

I.m on the 8mb connection at $85 a month so I guess I have no choice but to pay an extra $5 a month :)
I just WISH Rockingham WA had Exetel ADSL2 { But I still keep my Telstra phone and line) I would jump at it in a heart beat but all the other times I have applied I was refused.
Does anyone know if / when Exetel enabled exchangy thingy will be adding Rockingham to there list?
Thanks in advance.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:49 am

Shadowcats wrote:Does anyone know if / when Exetel enabled exchangy thingy will be adding Rockingham to there list?
Nope. There are no published ETAs for exchange infrastructure roll-outs
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

tin

Post by tin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:51 am

kiwigene wrote:So are the NF plans considered "old" or are they "new" (but just not as new as the "new new Z" plans?
Pretty much I want to know if I'm going to get another $5 increase, since I was on an NF plan?
Gidget wrote:Yes - if you got an email to say so.
No - if you didn't (provided your contact email address is current)
So what about all the people who were on any random plan and got the email, who then changed to an NF the other day before they disappeared and became Z plans? Are the NFs considered new or old for them?
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:06 am

tin wrote:
kiwigene wrote:So are the NF plans considered "old" or are they "new" (but just not as new as the "new new Z" plans?
Pretty much I want to know if I'm going to get another $5 increase, since I was on an NF plan?
Gidget wrote:Yes - if you got an email to say so.
No - if you didn't (provided your contact email address is current)
So what about all the people who were on any random plan and got the email, who then changed to an NF the other day before they disappeared and became Z plans? Are the NFs considered new or old for them?
If they chose the NF plans they will stay on the NF plans.