Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Comparing TPG Naked ADSL2+ 130GB to Exetel's Z/23NoTel, you have, on a 6 month contract:

Price:
  • TPG = $59.99 per month + $149.95 setup = $509.89
  • Exetel = $65 per month(*) + $60 setup = $450.00
You need to stay for 18 months for the TPG plan to break even with Exetel, which defeats the purpose of short, flexible contract terms. Winner: Exetel
(*) Even with credit card surcharge, Exetel still wins. The $3/month admin levy is not applied to new plans anymore

Quota:
  • TPG = 70GB over 18 hours peak per day + 60GB over 6 hours per day
  • Exetel = 70GB over 12 hours per day + 60GB over 12 hours per day
So Exetel's quota is more smoothly allocated across the 24 hour period, meaning you can actually download more during wakeful hours. Winner: Exetel
But...if you exceed 130GB, then winner (on Naked plans) is TPG. However, on bundled plans Exetel wins as they now have unlimited, unshaped plans.

VOIP calls
  • TPG have "500" free VOIP minutes per month but that free calls are "calculated with a minimum call time of 10 minutes". So the 500 free minutes might in fact, only equate to between 50 short calls or 1 very long one.
  • Exetel have add on packs, on of which is VP1 offering 100 national calls for $5 per month and you could do this for 9 months before TPG's total plan cost breaks even.
Hard to compare here as it depends on call usage, mobile / landline proportion, length of service, etc. I stillr eckon Exetel wins, but will happily call it a tie

The way I see it: TPG is better only if you lock in between 9-18 months, are on a Naked service and downloading more than 130GB per month. If your usage is less, or if you are on a bundled plan instead, Exetel is better.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Sgtspike
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by Sgtspike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Comparing TPG Naked ADSL2+ 130GB to Exetel's Z/23NoTel, you have, on a 6 month contract:

Price:
  • TPG = $59.99 per month + $149.95 setup = $509.89
  • Exetel = $65 per month(*) + $60 setup = $450.00
You need to stay for 18 months for the TPG plan to break even with Exetel, which defeats the purpose of short, flexible contract terms. Winner: Exetel
(*) Even with credit card surcharge, Exetel still wins. The $3/month admin levy is not applied to new plans anymore

Quota:
  • TPG = 70GB over 18 hours peak per day + 60GB over 6 hours per day
  • Exetel = 70GB over 12 hours per day + 60GB over 12 hours per day
So Exetel's quota is more smoothly allocated across the 24 hour period, meaning you can actually download more during wakeful hours. Winner: Exetel
But...if you exceed 130GB, then winner (on Naked plans) is TPG. However, on bundled plans Exetel wins as they now have unlimited, unshaped plans.

VOIP calls
  • TPG have "500" free VOIP minutes per month but that free calls are "calculated with a minimum call time of 10 minutes". So the 500 free minutes might in fact, only equate to between 50 short calls or 1 very long one.
  • Exetel have add on packs, on of which is VP1 offering 100 national calls for $5 per month and you could do this for 9 months before TPG's total plan cost breaks even.
Hard to compare here as it depends on call usage, mobile / landline proportion, length of service, etc. I stillr eckon Exetel wins, but will happily call it a tie

The way I see it: TPG is better only if you lock in between 9-18 months, are on a Naked service and downloading more than 130GB per month. If your usage is less, or if you are on a bundled plan instead, Exetel is better.


Perhaps I did jump to conclusion. Thanks for that!

And I just noticed in the front page that exetel are now providing unlimited offpeak plans for naked ADSL2+ users. Now that's beautiful. :)

Wob76
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 am

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by Wob76 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi,

I received an email last month related to the increase in price of my current plan by $5. Stating this would take effect from the 1st of April. However my Account page still shows that my Monthly Access Charge is still $55.00. Is this change still coming into effect?

On the new Z/21INCTEL Plan for $65 per month is there a $3 Account Administration Charge?

I also noticed there is now a $10 Cost Of Plan Change fee, does this apply to users who are having there plans forcibly changed?

As it stands I am paying $55+$3 = $58 for my current plan, With the increase this will be $63, my assumption from reading some threads is that $3 admin charge no longer exists on new account, if this is the case I am better off switching to the new Z/21INCTEL plan for an extra $2 a month to get more downloads, I do however find it a bit rich to be charge $10 for a plan change that I am being forced into.

Regards,
Beau

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Wob76 wrote:I received an email last month related to the increase in price of my current plan by $5. Stating this would take effect from the 1st of April. However my Account page still shows that my Monthly Access Charge is still $55.00. Is this change still coming into effect?
To my understanding it has. You might want to contact billing@exetel.com.au to confirm your Monthly Access Charge
Wob76 wrote:On the new Z/21INCTEL Plan for $65 per month is there a $3 Account Administration Charge?
No.
Wob76 wrote:I also noticed there is now a $10 Cost Of Plan Change fee, does this apply to users who are having there plans forcibly changed?
This fee does apply, yes. And you are not being "forced" as you still retain the option of continuing on your out-of-contract plan.
Wob76 wrote:if this is the case I am better off switching to the new Z/21INCTEL plan for an extra $2 a month to get more downloads
Correct. In your case it is effectively a one-off $10 plan change fee and $2/month extra to get more downloads.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Wob76
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 am

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by Wob76 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:03 am

CoreyPlover wrote:To my understanding it has. You might want to contact billing@exetel.com.au to confirm your Monthly Access Charge
I have done this at the early part of the week, still waiting for a response.
CoreyPlover wrote:No.
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.
CoreyPlover wrote:This fee does apply, yes. And you are not being "forced" as you still retain the option of continuing on your out-of-contract plan.
I am afraid I disagree on that point, I am being changed $5 more per month for my same plan, that is a change, and it's being forced on me. Yes, I could continue as is, getting less value for only a few dollars less than an existing plan, but that would be stupid. I think considering exetel are applying an increase charge to my existing plan, the least they could do is waiver the change of plan fee. I'll see what billing say, if they ever respond to me ticket.

Thanks,
Beau

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 am

Wob76 wrote:I am afraid I disagree on that point, I am being changed $5 more per month for my same plan, that is a change, and it's being forced on me. Yes, I could continue as is, getting less value for only a few dollars less than an existing plan, but that would be stupid. I think considering exetel are applying an increase charge to my existing plan, the least they could do is waiver the change of plan fee. I'll see what billing say, if they ever respond to me ticket.
You are welcome to disagree, but a few further points:
1. The exact issue has been raised before. Previous forum threads were unequivocal on this point: the $10 fee will not be waived
2. Yes, I agree that it would irrational not to switch. But that is not the same as being "forced". My understanding is that you are on an out-of-contract plan. Is this correct? If so, Exetel are free to increase monthly charges without offering you subsidies like waiver of fees. The fact that they are giving you another option (a cheaper plan for a $10 changeover fee) is actually a bonus. Think of it this way: $10 in order to roll over to a new plan *without a new contract*. Other ISPs would either not provide the option of rolling over to a cheaper plan, or would restart you on a new contract.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Wob76
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 am

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by Wob76 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Ok, just an update.

This is the response I got from my billing enquiry.

(1) As our data base is not updated yet it does not show in customers accounts but we have charged you the correct amount.
As I expected.

(2) Yes On the new Z/21INCTEL Plan for $65 per month there is a $3 Account Administration Charge.
Not what I expected, this means the $65 plan has an equivilant cost of $68.

(3) The $10 Cost Of Plan Change fee, apply to all the users-plan change
Not much point discussing this further, I disagree with it, but it is what it is.

(4) As you are in plan INCPHONE Z, no matter payment is made by direct debit or credit card,you will be charged $3 account administration fee for each of the payment.
I think Exetel need to have a rethink on the whole adimistration fee, it really should be included in the plan fee.

Based on the fact I am going to be changed a change fee and the administration fee is still applicable I will be considering alternative ISP options.

I have been with Exetel for over 3 years, and although I see the need to update old plans, they don't do loyal customers any favours. There is very little insentive to stay with them at the moment, I don't think they have as strong a competivie edge as they used to.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Wob76 wrote:(2) Yes On the new Z/21INCTEL Plan for $65 per month there is a $3 Account Administration Charge.
Not what I expected, this means the $65 plan has an equivilant cost of $68.
Very strange. The http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php page has no mention of this fee and my understanding is that it has been abolished for some time now.
Wob76 wrote:As you are in plan INCPHONE Z, no matter payment is made by direct debit or credit card,you will be charged $3 account administration fee for each of the payment.
My understanding was that old plans (like INCPHONE) have the additional levy but new plans (Z/21INCTEL) have it priced into the $65/month already.

I will look into this further for you and try to get an Exetel response to confirm or correct the response you received from billing.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JasonM

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by JasonM » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Billing advised you incorrectly.
I've had a look at a customer on the Z/21INCTEL plan, and there is no account administration fee. They were being charged the admin fee on the INCPHONE plan.

syncmaster
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by syncmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Sgtspike wrote:You guys just lost any competitive edge you had over your competitors.
I am glad to see that there are someone (not only one) who share my opinion.
Whatever Exetel staff try to defend their competitiveness,
this is how some of existing users see over the recent series of changes as a customer of Exetel.

I used to believe strongly that Exetel plan I got was the best deal among competitors for my usage and I was happy.
And without my usage pattern changed so much, I am afraid to say that Exetel no more offer best package I want to be with.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

syncmaster wrote:I used to believe strongly that Exetel plan I got was the best deal among competitors for my usage and I was happy.
And without my usage pattern changed so much, I am afraid to say that Exetel no more offer best package I want to be with.
I'm still adamant that Exetel offer the best value for money service above all competitors. And, in fact, the user who you quoted seemed to agree with me after further examination. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p273002
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

terrox
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am
Location: MAYF exchange Hunter Region NSW

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by terrox » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Best value? But the costs keep rising! I was on 12 gig / $45, now I pay $53 for the same thing AND we lost free SMS AND free calls ages ago. So that's like another $5 of value gone. I have to swap to a cheaper plan with less download to get back to my original price.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:12 pm

terrox wrote:Best value? But the costs keep rising! I was on 12 gig / $45, now I pay $53 for the same thing AND we lost free SMS AND free calls ages ago. So that's like another $5 of value gone. I have to swap to a cheaper plan with less download to get back to my original price.
Exetel were more than $5 cheaper then their nearest competitor in my opinion. Plus, all users have the option to upgrade to newer plans, which are often better value than sticking with out of contract plans that have attracted the $5 increase. I stand quite firmly by my statement that Exetel still represent the best valued Australian ADSL2+ plans

Note: In your case, the cost savings via Exetel are lower than usual because of your low usage requirements. You'll notice that for a small premium, your quota could increase to 30GB and this now includes unlimited off-peak. But at 10-12GB, the costs savings via Exetel are reduced.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

syncmaster
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by syncmaster » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
terrox wrote:Best value? But the costs keep rising! I was on 12 gig / $45, now I pay $53 for the same thing AND we lost free SMS AND free calls ages ago. So that's like another $5 of value gone. I have to swap to a cheaper plan with less download to get back to my original price.
Exetel were more than $5 cheaper then their nearest competitor in my opinion. Plus, all users have the option to upgrade to newer plans, which are often better value than sticking with out of contract plans that have attracted the $5 increase. I stand quite firmly by my statement that Exetel still represent the best valued Australian ADSL2+ plans

Note: In your case, the cost savings via Exetel are lower than usual because of your low usage requirements. You'll notice that for a small premium, your quota could increase to 30GB and this now includes unlimited off-peak. But at 10-12GB, the costs savings via Exetel are reduced.
I still believe Exetel will pass on price reduction to customers. However the way Exetel handle changes in recent months such as $5 plan price increase and $10 plan change fee to cheaper plan with better value give me an impression that Exetel is not any more courteous than used to be and also getting rather cunning to give it any twisted excuse to get penny (but good amount of money for Exetel) from customers in every opportunity, which used to cost almost nothing.
Eg. $10 plan change fee for most of the existing users with old plans - Exetel explans it is an option and you don't need to choose it but it is irrational not to choose this option because new cheaper plan is obviously of better value. They could have applied this new quota update and price reduction to 'all' existing plans ('all' means all - new and old. no exception) if they can afford to offer with cheaper rate. They don't need to make it an option with plan change fee.

Having said that, this kind of business practive is not worst I have heard or seen.
So I may just get over it and live with it until I decide to move on.
Who knows if the ISP I am going to sign up in the future is anything better than this practice.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:15 am

syncmaster wrote:
I still believe Exetel will pass on price reduction to customers. However the way Exetel handle changes in recent months such as $5 plan price increase and $10 plan change fee to cheaper plan with better value give me an impression that Exetel is not any more courteous than used to be and also getting rather cunning to give it any twisted excuse to get penny (but good amount of money for Exetel) from customers in every opportunity, which used to cost almost nothing.
Eg. $10 plan change fee for most of the existing users with old plans - Exetel explans it is an option and you don't need to choose it but it is irrational not to choose this option because new cheaper plan is obviously of better value. They could have applied this new quota update and price reduction to 'all' existing plans ('all' means all - new and old. no exception) if they can afford to offer with cheaper rate. They don't need to make it an option with plan change fee.

Having said that, this kind of business practive is not worst I have heard or seen.
So I may just get over it and live with it until I decide to move on.
Who knows if the ISP I am going to sign up in the future is anything better than this practice.
When Exetel delivered its first ADSL service in February 2004 we charged $25.00 for a plan change with a speed change and $10.00 if no speed change was required.

So, six years later, the only difference is a reduction in changes that involve a speed change.

Locked