Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
PM

Re: Price Increase Of $5.00 per Month On All Old ADSL Plans

Post by PM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 am

Newb1e wrote:Right now I'm P**sed right off mainly with myself for being so slow and not selecting the plans yesterday.
Not a question with being slow. We have/had till the end of the month to make the change. THERE WAS NO HURRY. I actually thought that to reduce the impact on Exetel with thousands of changes hitting them early in the month, that I would wait till the last week of the month before changing to the (It WAS there wasn't it. Not just a figment of my imagination?) NF8192 6/12GB @ 50C GB excess plan.

I will be heading to Netspace where they offer ADSL2+ at my exchange here in Hobart for $50/month 40GB. I was with them years ago for 7 years on dialup

Sorry Exetel, Your environmental credentials are "warm and fuzzy", but there it ends!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 am

Newb1e wrote:I would like Exetel to consider introducing a "low usage 8192 plan" if possible or at least let us select the NF/8192 plan that was there yesterday
The ADSL1 plans, particularly the 8Mbps ones, are not as cost efficient as ADSL2+ plans, because Telstra have a monopoly of then and are very inflexible with pricing. My understanding is that the rental of the port alone from Telstra makes many pricing points infeasible and the only viable option is to offer medium usage plans
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Newb1e

Post by Newb1e » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:06 am

CoreyPlover wrote:The ADSL1 plans, particularly the 8Mbps ones, are not as cost efficient as ADSL2+ plans, because Telstra have a monopoly of then and are very inflexible with pricing. My understanding is that the rental of the port alone from Telstra makes many pricing points infeasible and the only viable option is to offer medium usage plans
Thats fine by all means give me an ADSL2 plan :D , however it's not currently available at my exchange, I would be more than happy to migrate to one of the many different plans you offer on ADSL2.

Whirlpool classes a 20GB a month Plan as "Heavy Usage" they quite possibly haven't updated their usage categories for some time, however I hardly classify the x/8192 plan as "medium usage". Their is now only one option available to users who wish to remain on 8k connections of 50Gb Peak 50Gb off Peak which is only suited to the heavy users. There is no option for light/medium usage users who want the extra speed of an 8k connection. Even an $70 plan that offers 10GB peak 10GB off peak I would be happy. The value for money would suck compared to what you would get for the extra $20 a month but the extra 80GB a month I don't need.

I don't pretend to know the intricacies of Telstra Wholesale but I'm sure if customer retention is high on the priority list of Exetel an alternative CAN be offered. Whether it will be on not remains to be seen.

Regards,
Ben
Last edited by Newb1e on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicbitter

Post by vicbitter » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 am

The last 8mb port price I heard was around $57.20 (inc GST).

Add overheads, support, data etc, will escalate pretty quickly.

Brad54

Post by Brad54 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:35 am

Still no reply on my earlier post?
I assume the chance to pick up the Exetel NF deals has passed? :(

I was looking around for other providers and plans etc with an 8M connection when i came across this website:
http://www.tandb.com.au/broadband/
i was suprised on how similar (exactly the same) these plans were to the Exetel NF plans that were available early yesterday. (Even suspiciously called NF plans...)
i clicked on ORDER on the ADSL1 No Frills plans to get more info.
it then took me to this screen:
https://www.exetel.com.au/order_nf/resi ... _code=N001

What the...? :o

The NF plans were not anywhere to be seen and the plans were the new Z plans.

I am assuming that the T and B site is just out of date, but am i able to connect to the NF plans if i say i saw it on their other website?
Just thought i should check just incase.

Thanks,

HomerSimpson

Post by HomerSimpson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 am

James wrote: c. don't be so cynical.
I think you might look at the user point of view to understand why many are cynical.

The goalposts change every day. I decide to switch to a plan given the choice and then that choice is taken away. I am asked to switch or pay more.. but at the same time the fee is increased to switch. And as mentioned previously the changes over the past months too come into it.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 am

Brad54 wrote:I was looking around for other providers and plans etc with an 8M connection when i came across this website:
http://www.tandb.com.au/broadband/
i was suprised on how similar (exactly the same) these plans were to the Exetel NF plans that were available early yesterday. (Even suspiciously called NF plans...)
i clicked on ORDER on the ADSL1 No Frills plans to get more info.
it then took me to this screen:
https://www.exetel.com.au/order_nf/resi ... _code=N001
They are an Exetel Agent - just not quite the most transparent one.

Look at the very, very... very bottom of the page.
All prices subject to change. Errors and omissions may apply. These plans are the best prices we know of from any established (been providing ADSL for at least three months) ADSL provider in Australia. T&B is acting as agent for an ADSL carrier. All contracts are between the customer and the carrier, not T&B.
Last edited by Ravenous on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PM

Post by PM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 am

vicbitter wrote:The last 8mb port price I heard was around $57.20 (inc GST).

Add overheads, support, data etc, will escalate pretty quickly.
I have never called or emailed Exetel for support in 3.5 years. Perhaps my "old" 8192 plan of 12/54 wasn't making much money for Exetel. Goodwill amounts for a fair bit. I have had 4 people sign to Exetel services on my recommendation. That was my goodwill towards Exetel. Exetel's goodwill towards me has all but evaporated.

Newb1e

Post by Newb1e » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 am

Woohoo give me $60 a month + 0 downloads included and $1 a GB usage.

browsing the available alternatives there are plenty of companies offering Light usage plans still but no Exetel on the list :cry: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=s ... t=1&sort=0

PM

Post by PM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:56 am

Newb1e wrote:
Woohoo give me $60 a month + 0 downloads included and $1 a GB usage.

browsing the available alternatives there are plenty of companies offering Light usage plans still but no Exetel on the list :cry: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=s ... t=1&sort=0
Still not cost effective Ben. I use between 15-25GB per month. That would cost me between $75 and $85 per month.
Given the HUGE data allowances on offer from Exetel on most of the plans (quite apart from the unlimited plans now offered), 25GB a month would have to be classed as a light to medium user.

Brad54

Post by Brad54 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 am

They are an Exetel Agent - just not quite the most transparent one.

Look at the very, very... very bottom of the page.
All prices subject to change. Errors and omissions may apply. These plans are the best prices we know of from any established (been providing ADSL for at least three months) ADSL provider in Australia. T&B is acting as agent for an ADSL carrier. All contracts are between the customer and the carrier, not T&B.
Oh, touche!

Well i guess thats out of the question then.
Just wish there was a slightly cheaper plan available because i dont get anywhere close to using 50G a month of downloads overall let alone in the peak periods...
The absolute most i think i have ever downloaded in a month is about 15G and thats was after downloading a whole number of steam games, my average monthly download is 7G max!

Hard to justify spending $90+ dollars a month for how little i download, even though i realise that the 50G download plans are amazing value.
To be perfectly honest i still do not see myself changing from Exetel they are still the best i have seen by far, taking into account the low cost of changing plans etc. (Been looking around all last night and today)
Would just like to see more variety in 8M plans. :D

blinddog

Post by blinddog » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 pm

blinddog wrote:OK am I missing something?
My current plan is
TL-BA $45/month (this will now cost $50/month as of 1st April)
Peak Period Option: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): No Charge
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 1500/256

Now looking at my options
TL-C1 $45.00/month
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): No Charge
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
Service Line Speed: 1500/256

So I infact will be better off (by $5 post 1st april and extra gigs are cheaper) - What am I missing?
Ok so the plans have been changed now on the Change Plan page - the equiv plan is FP-C1 and is $50. So the biggest change (besies the $5 extra) will be a decrease in price of extra gigs from $3/gig -> $0.50/gig

Newb1e

Post by Newb1e » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 pm

PM wrote: Still not cost effective Ben. I use between 15-25GB per month. That would cost me between $75 and $85 per month.
Given the HUGE data allowances on offer from Exetel on most of the plans (quite apart from the unlimited plans now offered), 25GB a month would have to be classed as a light to medium user.
I totally agree that there would be many people out there that would not like what I suggested, and I guess that the conundrum Exetel is in is how many plans is too many?

That being said with the variety on plans on offer within the other various user types i.e 1500/512 etc I don't the the one size fits all option for the 8k speeds is appropriate. If Exetel is considering adding an additional plan any indication would be much appreciated.

Regards
Ben

Redolent

Post by Redolent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I do not wish to be charged a $10 fee for changing my plan. This option has been suggested rather then pay the extra $5 a month for the same outdated service ... which is lower in value compared to your current plans. My current plan is one of the mentioned accounts that has been around for some time 1500/256 - 30peak/unmetered offpeak @ $55. The current plans are $60 for the change of 6GB for the peak period in the same plan range, making it 1500/256 - 36GBpeak/unmetered offpeak.

Like I said its not right that I should not only be charged an extra $5 a month for an old plan thats worse then the current plans and ontop of that if I change the service an extra $10 fee is charged for making that change ...

Please offer the change for free to those that are in the situation were they will change their exsisting plans... to the new ones. This would be a professional approch rather then a smack in the face ...

billmack

Post by billmack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I was sent an email on the 4th of march saying I would have to change my plan fromTELD to a new plan or I would have to pay an extra $5 per month. I logged in straight away and elected to change to the TL-B plan for $35 per month. I received an email confirming I had changed to the TL-B plan on the 4th of March.
Today (5th of March 2010) I logged in to Exetel and saw that the plans have been changed again and there is no sign of the TL-B plan.
I want to know if I am going to be on the TL-B plan paying $35 or am I going to be put on some plan I didn't ask for and pay extra?
Bill