Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I'm thinking it will be fantastic for a loyal Exetel customer to be able to have a standard plan for most of the year, and increase it to an unlimited plan when usage is projected to surge (like when children / grandchildren stay for holidays, etc).
peteru wrote:Sharing high definition home made videos of your children with your friends and family requires a fair bit of bandwidth.
Exetel only needs to offer unlimited to loyal customers with children...(with bonus extra unlimited if you have grandchildren)

Maybe we need a one child policy in Australia to help save the internet.

Tr0yJ

Post by Tr0yJ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Sounds great, but please don't exclude new customers! I was only made aware of Exetel in the last 2 months & joined as soon as my contract with the last mob ran out, I would love to partake in one of these deals!!

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

My vote for a naked option but rather than totally unlimited I'd rather unlimited to chosen content (as mentioned earlier) such as STEAM, microsoft and perhaps even exetel peer-peer traffic. I'd love to be able to do backups between my network and other family members who are on exetel without worrying about the traffic useage involved.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 pm

I would be interested to know if a naked adsl option would be available

Manju

Post by Manju » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 pm

I have had a number of churn invitations to move to another provider having been with you for some 5 or 6 years. Now I know why I keep rejecting those offers. I will probably never use the "unlimited" downloads option - but I sure feel good that my service provider recognises the need to look after me. You guys don't want to run one of the big four banks - do you :D

Some1onearth

Post by Some1onearth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm

One for more a Naked deal....I want to move on to VOIP so that the calls my family make are at a lower cost. I really don't care much if it bothers them that VOIP might not be working as well as PSTN. :p

ReservedWolf

Post by ReservedWolf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 pm

roby wrote:I would be interested to know if a naked adsl option would be available
"2) an unlimited ADSL2 internet plan to current Exetel customers only (and to use so many of our customer's own words - only to "loyal Exetel customers") for $A55.00 per month BYO telephone line."

wouldn't that imply naked connections as well?

here's my logic: Exetel already administers the line from the exchange to my home so an initial phone line was provided for that transpositioning, it appears it would be a simple process to offer the plan to naked adsl connections.

I'd like an unlimited connection purely for the 'no more worrying about capping out' side of the equation, and I'm even tempted by the $75 option if it's on offer to existing naked adsl customers
All the world's a stage; know your part or get off the stage, we need the performance space. - by me, inspired by many other misanthropes.

mackhina

Post by mackhina » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm a naked user, would we have an option to join? I currently pay $65 a month for 24GB during peak time and have been with Exetel for a few years now. It would be nice of you to include us in this amazing offer.

Cheers

Mick

Diji1

Post by Diji1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 pm

This is great news Exetel and truly something I wish to throw my full support behind. Australia needs to catch up to the rest of the world and have unlimited plans - truly this is a great move IMO.

I find it rather strange that some users in this thread are saying they are happy with services as they are and do not support this new proposed plans - surely unlimited services are better even if you don't use the data allowance you already have month by month. Trust me: there are new possibities that present themselves once you're able to do them... streaming 1080p, downloading an backup archive of files that you make online - the possibilities become apparent and you no longer have to dismiss them due to download caps.

I have been with Exetel for about 18 months (give or take) - I have stuck with you guys after my 12 month contract was out for some time now. From my experience I believe you are one of the best ISP in AU - bearing in mind that I am more than willing to forgo having lots of staff on to deal with any potential issues. In particular the user administration and self-help online services are top-notch, best I have used anyhow, any network issues are clearly stated before hand and service has been very consistent. Good job really.

As I'm sure Exetel is aware another provider, AAPT has recently offered a similar service: true unlimited ADSL2+ including a "Music Bundle", under a 2 year contract (!) for I believe $90 - there may be similar newer plans from other ISP, I havent checked in the last few weeks. Based on past experiences with unlimited services offered in Australia I was not rushing to churn, however I was considering it. The "convulsions" mentioned in the OP in my experience are a pretty standard song and dance: an ISP starts offering an unlimited service, no other ISP follows, many heavy users converge onto the plan and in a short period it's a godawful mess for all users - network speeds slow to a crawl.

If the proposed plan is implemented consider me signed to Exetel for another 12 months - you guys have made me glad I didn't churn, that's for sure. This offers superb value and if you guys can keep the levels of service up I would be extremely happy to take up this new plan for 12 months.

So yeah, basically - as soon as you can. Thanks!

singlewind

Post by singlewind » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 pm

+1 naked option

Although current 70G/60G plan is enough for me. But I like to pay more for unlimited. I'm loyal Exetel user as well. If BYO can why Naked can't. I will host a lot of web application at home and Australians' creative will boost online. And become a next economic growth point rather than selling resource. Online entertainment will boom if go to unlimited. IPTV will get popular, and internet television channel and radio channel can be found every where, create more jobs. That's all good things. If someone worried about the speed issue they will suffered. Remember the national fibre is coming. Low speed can be solved by add new hardware. But if Australian miss the chance to be one of internet empire that will be shame.

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 am

Forgive me if I repeat anyone's sentiment as I've only lazily skipped over admin's replies and stand-out posts.

As a current 'loyal' naked-DSL user I'm very happy with my plan; but....

If an unlimited naked plan was offered for what is currently $10 more p.m than my current I'd be elated, if;
- There was no intended changes to bandwidth speed (i.e not putting all the 'unlimited' users on a throttled pipe).
- There was an AUP within generous bounds to not spoil the business model.
- VOIP and other latency sensitive protocols & ports were given priority at server end.
- There was an opt-out period to previous (even if grandfathered) plan on acceptance of offer.

Cheers

brendan

Post by brendan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am

numptyNiels wrote:Forgive me if I repeat anyone's sentiment as I've only lazily skipped over admin's replies and stand-out posts.

Cheers
that just defeats the purpose of an "unlimited" plan. if it's not actually unlimited than don't call it "unlimited". it's false advertising otherwise in my view

Mathieu.au

Post by Mathieu.au » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 am

My concern with unlimited ADSL2 plans is in regard to network performance,when the torrenters start downloading during offpeak times i experience more trouble with streaming media,though if the new plans will be unlimited during all times,it could perhapes reduce such an impact on the network. At the moment I have no need for such high download quotas,but will probobly change my plan to an almost identical one simply to save on the $5 increase on April 1st.

Cheerio

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 am

brendan wrote:
numptyNiels wrote:Forgive me if I repeat anyone's sentiment as I've only lazily skipped over admin's replies and stand-out posts.

Cheers
that just defeats the purpose of an "unlimited" plan. if it's not actually unlimited than don't call it "unlimited". it's false advertising otherwise in my view
I agree with you but let me elaborate on my point incase you thought I was being tel$stra with their draconian application of 'unlimited'.

By that, and I stress the use of 'generous' I mean I would have no issue with an unlimited policy but with an AUP that scared away blatent abusers of the policy - that could be an arbitary cap of some very large amount (based on usage of existing customers) of throughput or some other means of detecting unfair use.

Without teaching Exetel how to run their business I could only imagine from a consumer side that if I was to sign up to an unlimited account with general / honest 'unlimited' traffic use compared to someone that was then sharing the same account to multiple (as in, not just a standard household) nodes I would get a bum deal on speed and latency alone and I would rather some account restrictions be in place to minimise that situation.

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 am

would be good if u dont stooge naked dsl customers into paying more or change the deal to loose all benefits again that was pretty weak.