Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 am

nylon wrote:I'm naked :mrgreen: , but I assume I could go for the $55 BYO phone plan and ignore the phone bit altogether?
No. I don't think that will work. BYO uses "line sharing" to deliver a phone from one provider and ADSL from another; meaning you need a phone service to share it on top of.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

sixty4coupe

Post by sixty4coupe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 am

Having about $70 of excess download charges over the summer holidays due to the kids, I would pay the extra $10 per month, because over the year it would save me money even though most months I don't use my limit. My contract finishes on 7/4, so 8/4 seems like a good time to launch this :)

jpclark

Post by jpclark » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:24 am

Is there a Naked DSL offering?

If not, I agree that the off peak download times should be extended for those users.

jrei

Post by jrei » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:28 am

I like the idea of unlimited usage especially for the reasons mentioned above regarding future content and increased usage. Also, as more people are sharing homes and connections, unlimited usage negates the need/fear of rationing or reaching limits prematurely amongst shared householders.

I would like to see a naked plan however.

Good work exetel.

adam4900

Post by adam4900 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am

will be great to have unlimited. $5 cheaper than the $80 im paying now (including phone) just hope that exetel continues to include more bandwidth themselves! nobody should be slowed because their isp cant keep up!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 am

chernicr wrote:This offer MUST be available ...
...insert many other examples here...
Always astounds me how many *users* think they are *shareholders* of Exetel, with the power to "demand" certain courses of action as opposed to making "suggestions". This thread asked for opinions, not commandments or ultimatums.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 am

Most recent update from http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... ......html:
If, and it's a big if, we are successful in our current 'negotiations' we could establish three simple ADSL2 plans along the lines of:

1) ADSL2 (plus telephone line) - $50.00 per month - downloads/uploads @ 50 cents per gb - capped at $A75.00 per month

2) ADSL2 (byo line) - $35.00 per month - downloads/uploads @50 cents per gb - capped at $60.00 per month

3) ADSL2 (naked) - $45.00 per month - download/uploads @ 50 cents per gb - capped at $70.00 per month

We are close on two of the elements and a bit too far away on the third element at the moment to make this a 'sure thing' but if we don't succeed in making something like this happen then I'm pretty sure someone else will in the not too distant future.

Lonx

Post by Lonx » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

I can see the benefits in this for Exetel as it provides a casual transition to a customer base on unlimited plans which allows them to gauge the response & plan their requirements appropriately. While my connection is only capable of around 4mbit due to distance, I am more worried that traffic prioritisation will be lower and gaming would be affected.

I sometimes use my whole quota but don't really think I would download much more under this plan if at all - the only reason I am interested now is that its a few dollars more than I currently pay & a good buffer if I do use a handful of gb's over my quota for peak or offpeak so I don't get charged $6 per gig.

copy

Post by copy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 am

I think exetel should continue to wrestle with the unlimited plan for a little longer.

I like having the peak and off-peak service. If I've an important big download I can do it quickly in peak, if time is not an issue I can do it in off-peak.

Adding major numbers of unlimited users means massively loading up the peak traffic. Much of the current off-peak traffic will move to the peak time period.

My peak downloads will be very slow.
Your VoIP calls will have lower quality of service.

So folks that's the sting in the tail for us medium users. I'm much more worried by this proposal than the $5 increase.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

This is a reasonable first stab I guess. Again, Exetel knows their customers' usage, so knows how many people would download more than 50gb per month and are therefore getting "free" downloads. It still worries me though that as per JL's blog, Exetel still don't get IP for free (although it seems costs are coming down), so "unlimited" is still a theoretical offer, and as the blog indicated, can be troublesome to manage.

I still note, however, that my costs will increase under these proposals. Currently on NAK2A, $45/month w 6gb included. My peak usage is roughly 2-3 gb/month (I am an IT professional, I run a home server, I sometimes VPN, I have even watched a youtube video once - but we are happy with free-to-air TV and my kids are <5 so my usage is "impossibly " low...).

Granted, I would be worse off by only a few dollars a month. But it still irks me that as a low end user, I would technically be worse off, where as high-end users can halve their effective per GB costs for every 50gb they download. I understand that in the business world, bulk discounts are almost always available and that's fair enough. But I wonder at what point the bulk users start costing exetel money?

iestrin

Post by iestrin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 am

I would sign up for option 1 , looks like a winner for everyone

1) ADSL2 (plus telephone line) - $50.00 per month - downloads/uploads @ 50 cents per gb - capped at $A75.00 per month

It'would be also good to have some kind of deal for the local/STD calls included

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 pm

copy wrote:I think exetel should continue to wrestle with the unlimited plan for a little longer.

I like having the peak and off-peak service. If I've an important big download I can do it quickly in peak, if time is not an issue I can do it in off-peak.

Adding major numbers of unlimited users means massively loading up the peak traffic. Much of the current off-peak traffic will move to the peak time period.

My peak downloads will be very slow.
Your VoIP calls will have lower quality of service.

So folks that's the sting in the tail for us medium users. I'm much more worried by this proposal than the $5 increase.
By offering these plans to Exetel users only, at time of release, the issue only becomes will current Exetel customers immediately change their established download 'habits'?

The only change would be that someone who is currently using the off peak period to start their down loads will now start them whenever they wish to do so.

Currently there is as much 'spare' capacity between 12 noon and 12 midnight than there is between 12 midnight and 12 noon - so in theory - it wouldn't make that much difference.

Then there's the cost issue of IP - which allows Exetel to double the current deployment at less cost than we pay today.

So moving towards unlimited plans for those that want to use them isn't really that much of an issue.

Based on a previous poster's suggestion we are now looking at the 'one plan fits all' scenario of a base price per the three service types plus a fixed price per gb used. That is much harder to work out and it still might make more sense to retain the two 12 hour periods and make down load charges half the cost in the 'off peak' period than in the peak period.

All of this depends on negotiating much better pricing for the different elements of the service.

Arkaynn

Post by Arkaynn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 pm

While the plan sounds nice, I do not know if I want it. Am on the INCPHONE A for $65 ($70 from April Fools Day onwards) but I would be happy with the 30gb plan for $75, in fact I could probably get away with the 5gb plan....though it seems very risky to me.

I like the idea of the capped plans mentioned on this forum.

If it means that I am not in the same pool as those people who do NEED the larger quotas, it would probably be better for me as I do not need to worry about Exetel changing this plan too.

Maldark

Post by Maldark » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm on the $85/month INC phone plan so anything that gives me more for less is great. I don't really need the extra quota but if it's going to save me money i'm all for it.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Based on a previous poster's suggestion we are now looking at the 'one plan fits all' scenario of a base price per the three service types plus a fixed price per gb used.
a good approach as long as any subsequent "tweaking" of the plan prices - should existing users habits change unfavourably - only targets the "problem" users.
As the previous poster alluded to, it would be unfair to raise the base price (affecting all users) in order to cover losses incurred by a particular group of users.