Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
scruffy

Post by scruffy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:32 pm

:lol: i am amazed at the number of seven, eight and even nine year loyal members posting-pretty good effort seeing exetel is just a tad over six years old :lol:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:02 am

lenvik wrote:Bearing this in mind, if I were to upgrade my plan from ADSL1 -> ADSL2 now and lock into a new 6 month contract and the unlimited plans were released in 2 months would I be able to change over straight away or would I need to wait till the end of the new contract before I could change to unlimited?
Nothing has been formalised, so anything could happen. If I were in your position, I'd upgrade and take the risk. Worst case it is only a few months of delay
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

bomber61

Post by bomber61 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi,
The new plan for ADSL 2 looks good HOWEVER what about the poor people out here that cannot get ADSL2. We are going to get nothing and have just had a price increase on ADSL1, so we are going to be worse off. I cannot change to ADSL2 as much as i would like to. Is EXETEL going to update ADSL1 areas to ADSL2, I live in Wodonga

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 pm

bomber61 wrote:Is EXETEL going to update ADSL1 areas to ADSL2
Exetel is a reseller, meaning they can only offer ADSL2+ on exchanges that have Optus, or Powertel/AAPT infrastructure. Also, ADSL1+ is Telstra based, meaning extremely cost inefficient (for Exetel and therefore, for you), so there is a limit on the pricing magic that Exetel can work.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am

We asked Telstra for ADSL2 pricing on two occasions in the past.....their response was that they couldn't provide the pricing we were looking for.

We took that as an indication they didn't wish to provide to us.

As part of the price review we are currently conducting we have again asked for Telstra ADSL2 pricing as well as reductions in the current ADSL1 pricing we currently pay and we will see what eventuates.

jskf01

Post by jskf01 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:55 pm

So when are these unlimited plans getting released? I see on the exetel website that there are these Z plans now which have unlimited offpeak dloads. Is that the plans that was being referred to? Or is exetel going to intro a fully unlimited plan for both peak and offpeak?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 pm

jskf01 wrote:So when are these unlimited plans getting released? I see on the exetel website that there are these Z plans now which have unlimited offpeak dloads. Is that the plans that was being referred to? Or is exetel going to intro a fully unlimited plan for both peak and offpeak?
As of yesterday, these unlimited plan concepts were just discussion items. But it seems like the IncTel plans have graduated to an unlimited off-peak form. I guess it is just a matter of keeping an eye out for potential further developments (like other unlimited Naked and BYO line variants)

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:IncTel plans have graduated to an unlimited off-peak form. I guess it is just a matter of keeping an eye out for potential further developments (like other unlimited Naked and BYO line variants)
I, for one, will sit back for a period and wait for Exetel (and the greater ADSL market) to unfold and settle down. I like where things are headed.

Zost1

Post by Zost1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Why only the over 12 months customers will be offered the unlimited plan? I think it is unfair! I am an Exetel customer in 7 months and have other 5 months to end of my contract.
It would be unfaithfully to the less 12 months customers not to offer them the unlimited internet while other providers (AAPT, TPG) sign everyone to similar feature. In this case, personally, I will transfer to other provider after my contract come to the end. Probably, I will not wait the expiration of my contract and I will be transferred before. $100 penalty for early termination is not the big money if you can use the Internet without thinking about the usage meter all the time.
If Exetel wishes to keep all clients then you should offer the unlimited Internet to all current customers. We are already yours customers, take care about us!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Zost1 wrote:Why only the over 12 months customers will be offered the unlimited plan?
nobody has been offered anything yet, it's just up for discussion

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Zost1 wrote:Why only the over 12 months customers will be offered the unlimited plan? I think it is unfair! It would be unfaithfully to the less 12 months customers not to offer them the unlimited internet while other providers (AAPT, TPG) sign everyone to similar feature. In this case, personally, I will transfer to other provider after my contract come to the end. Probably, I will not wait the expiration of my contract and I will be transferred before. $100 penalty for early termination is not the big money if you can use the Internet without thinking about the usage meter all the time. If Exetel wishes to keep all clients then you should offer the unlimited Internet to all current customers. We are already yours customers, take care about us!
1. Your post demonstrates that you are a highly disloyal customer. The practice of rewarding long-term loyalty is one to be commended, not sullied.
2. Your post demonstrates that you are egotistic, concerned only for your own cohort and demographic. The concept was a *reward* for loyalty but you construe it as a *penalty* for new customers like you. You willingly signed up when Exetel plans were limited and you somehow now think that you are getting a bad deal?
3. Your post demonstrates that you are ill-informed. As of earlier today, Exetel's Z/IncTel plans are unlimited off-peak, for all customers.

I wish you all the best with your new ISP...

lenvik

Post by lenvik » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
lenvik wrote:Bearing this in mind, if I were to upgrade my plan from ADSL1 -> ADSL2 now and lock into a new 6 month contract and the unlimited plans were released in 2 months would I be able to change over straight away or would I need to wait till the end of the new contract before I could change to unlimited?
Nothing has been formalised, so anything could happen. If I were in your position, I'd upgrade and take the risk. Worst case it is only a few months of delay
Sigh checked again, optus is still "limited or no ports" w/ the exetel page saying capacity reached at MAYF. Looks like I'm stuck on ADSL1. *sadface*

himagain

Post by himagain » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi there people,
I remember reading somewhere that the actual bulk use of volume is as small as the use of the "unlimited" Webhosts - 6-8% of subscribers.
So there are really three "markets" here:
1. Normal users (I'm one) Say, < 10G max per month
2. Extraordinary downloaders. Whatever they can get. No real reason I can see, except it's "free".
3. Gamers. A different world. For those with lotsa money.

1. Give normal users a choice: 20 G overall or similar to current deal. Bigger pipe at premium(?)
2. Give unlimited at a small price per Gig, but which makes a buck overall. Of course, on choked-down Servers.
3. Give them wider pipes and fixed "memberships" on fast Servers at a proper premium - these people don't use $500 computers - they pay thousands for video cards alone.

I guess what I'm getting at here is "horses for courses"........ :-)

carl82

Post by carl82 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 pm

jromz03 wrote:no thanks, these things are too good to be true. and recently i've had an increase in my adsl2 plan (its fine, part of the business of exetel, etc, etc), so i'm not planning on moving up.

happy torrenting/downloading/whatever to those that will upgrade though.

yea i agree.

happy torrenting etc etc. given what i have evperienced in the past and current. its just going to bog down the net for non-torrenting users even more...

:|

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 am

himagain wrote:Hi there people,
I remember reading somewhere that the actual bulk use of volume is as small as the use of the "unlimited" Webhosts - 6-8% of subscribers.
So there are really three "markets" here:
1. Normal users (I'm one) Say, < 10G max per month
2. Extraordinary downloaders. Whatever they can get. No real reason I can see, except it's "free".
3. Gamers. A different world. For those with lotsa money.

1. Give normal users a choice: 20 G overall or similar to current deal. Bigger pipe at premium(?)
2. Give unlimited at a small price per Gig, but which makes a buck overall. Of course, on choked-down Servers.
3. Give them wider pipes and fixed "memberships" on fast Servers at a proper premium - these people don't use $500 computers - they pay thousands for video cards alone.

I guess what I'm getting at here is "horses for courses"........ :-)
We are getting close to determining what we can sensibly offer.

There is a simple barrier to providing unlimited downloads - each gbyte downloaded has a cost to the supplier and the more gbytes downloaded the higher the cost of the service.

In the case of an ISP providing ADSL2 services to an end user there are the following costs:

1) Monthly port cost
2) Per gb cost of 'downloads' delivered to the end user from their exchange to Exetel
3) Per gb cost of IP 'retrieved' from the www
4) Overhead of running the company each month
5) Depreciation of the equipment used to deliver the service each month

I guess all of that is obvious to anyone who uses ADSL.

The concept of user pays has never been successfully used in supplying ISP services in Australia where the overwhelmingly used plan concept has been $N for n gb where the ISP offers a plan with an attractive usage number of gb but bases the price on a much lower number of gbs actually used by the total number of users on each plan. So while the plan may say it includes 20 gb the ISP actually bases the price of the plan on what they expect the average usage to be - usually much less than 50% of the stated plan download inclusion....in many cases less than 25% of headline inclusion.

This principle works well and has been the basis for broad band plans from the beginning as far as I can tell/remember.

And that's the key issue in providing Unlimited plans. By definition - Unlimited plans are impossible to offer with any expectation of making a profit. The conventional wisdom dictates that the only people who will use unlimited plans are those people who will use so much (irrespective of whether they actually use what they download or not) that no 'upstream/conduit resource' will ever be enough to deliver an unlimited service.

So why are AAPT already offering such a plan and why is TPG saying they will offer such a plan? My guess:

AAPT are offering an unlimited plan because they have an Australia wide network with significant capacity that they put in place to service mainly 9 - 5 business customers which has almost zero usage outside those week day times. They also have a parent that owns 50% of the SCCC which means they also have access to a huge amount of unlimited trans Pacific cable. So they have a theoretical 'zero cost' of traffic and can, at least up to some unknown point discount those costs to anything they wish to do - until they have used up all of that resource.

TPG needs to emulate AAPT because the AAPT unlimited offer is directly aimed at TPG's major user base - large down loaders to whom the word large means incredibly large - many hundreds of gbs per month. TPG's purchase of Pipe is meant to provide the same advantage that AAPT enjoys in terms of 'no cost' international IP with their ability to provision the back hauls from their DSLAMs similarly inexpensively. Without knowing anything about the TPG network I can only assume this is true.

Irrespective of the truth or otherwise of the above statements, one thing is for sure - there is unlikely to be room in the relatively small 'unlimited user' marketplace for two providers which means that whatever prices for unlimited plans exists now will be reduced by both companies as the 'dust settles'.

Exetel cannot begin to compete in that sort of price war and has no intention of doing so.

So, what we will most likely offer is based on these premises:

1) We will offer unlimited ADSL2 (only) to Exetel customers who have been with us for more than 12 months and whom have good payment records.
2) Any unlimted plan will require a new 12 month contract - no exceptions
3) The offer will be 'by invitation' which means an unlimited plan option will be made available in the change plan facilities in the Exetel User Facilities.
4) The plans will be made available in early April with the earliest activation date being May 1st 2010.
5) Likely pricing will be $80.00 per month - perhaps a little less.
6) Exetel will not 'enter in to discussion with' any customer to whom this offer is not subsequently made