Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
antoniov

Post by antoniov » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Unlimited plans sounds great-although on 12GB and 60GB? after hours, is more than I need now.
So I guess it is like a buffet lunch - you can only eat so much.
My problem is after several years with exetel, I am about to relocate and do not think my new address will have optus service.
What I need is a more generous mobile service, that does not hit me with a sledge hammer if I go over the allowance. :D

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:How do I change to this Unlimited Plan?
Any detail on Exetel website?.
hasn't been released yet

chrissHxC

Post by chrissHxC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I believe the Unlimited ADSL2 is a great option for loyal customers such as myself, i would deffinatly be up for joining it as i see it as apreciation for the amount of time iv been with exetel.

(Y) for unlimited.

Chris.

rhys100

Post by rhys100 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm

sounds really good, although no use to me, as im a naked customer, if you could offer something similar to us naked customers, i would be very interested :)

also is there any chance you can split everyone up into different billing cycles so our connections dont slow to 50kb/s on the last 2 days of the month?

cheers

BigDaddyCool

Post by BigDaddyCool » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Personally I think 'unlimited' is a bad word probably for ISP's..... I would hate to see you guys get swamped with 24/7 leeching torrenters.

I know other ISP's have begun offering 'unlimited' services but I personally cant see how some people can download so much. I think a more appropriate plan would be something like 150GB/150GB. I mean really even thats pretty astranomical.

I'm on the 70GB/60GB plan at the moment for $55.... I have a Telstra home phone and I think it's great value. If anything I'd probably like for my plan to just level out to say 70GB/70GB with Base VoIP ($5 a month) rolled in with 100calls for $45-50 a month say.

I think most isp's should aim for the average user to be paying $45-50 a month for a decent download.

-=---

Reliablity and features are more important then the world 'unlimited' . Exetel could improve more on reliablity and less on matching competitors 'unlimited' word.
Last edited by BigDaddyCool on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jubba

Post by jubba » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm

how can exetel afford this. Esp considering recent price rises this was the last thing i was expecting.

This unlimited plan will be way cheper than other isps. Does this mean we'll see a drop in prices for other plans :)

drewski

Post by drewski » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I can certainly see the attractions of such a plan, especially as downloading TV shows and movies becomes more common and as the availability of HD content becomes more widespread through such channels as iTunes.

As someone who believes that cheap hard drive storage, increased bandwidth and portable media devices such as the forthcoming iPad will trump Blu-Ray this would be the kind of plan which would interest me as then I would only have to concern myself with how much I choose to spend on renting/buying movies and TV shows online rather than having to calculate what the download data will cost me.

However, I would like to know more about it, such as anticipated Fair Use Policy constraints, etc as many of the so-called Unlimited Plans offered by other ISPs render them no better value than Exetel's current plans by the time you factor in any speed throttles once you pass relatively low limits and/or any extra charges involved.

But well done Exetel for keeping your eye on the market and continuing to offer competitive and attractive options to your customers!

SimonG

Post by SimonG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:20 pm

No thanks, I'm more than happy with my naked DSL account for $40 per month including 5 GB of data and free voip number. Maybe review when I'm out of contract on this one as that deal is no longer available, but I would probably not want to move away from naked DSL.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Unlimited broadband plans are a norm in developed countries such as Hong Kong and Singapore. The service providers sell plans based on fast, faster or super fast speeds at unlimited capacity. Comparing that and what's available locally is a shocker.

fiish

Post by fiish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

This is interesting and beneficial for a couple of reasons, obviously. I have been with Exetel for 18+ months now but have also moved home and so this is my 3rd contract. My understanding is that I would not qualify for this because I am not "out of contract" and as a younger person renting and moving around, it may be difficult to be classified as a 'loyal' customer for no other reason.

How can this be addressed please?

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I'm thinking it will be fantastic for a loyal Exetel customer to be able to have a standard plan for most of the year, and increase it to an unlimited plan when usage is projected to surge (like when children / grandchildren stay for holidays, etc).
So I should also expect the future to provide unlimited plans for electricity, water, beds, pantry stocks when the greedy relatives arrive?! I certainly hope my kids don't come to visit me just so they can stream HiDef youtube videos, have concurrent video calls with a billion of their closest chinese facebook friends or conduct remote neurosurgery on a country patient (ok, that last probably needs an Exetel unlimited business plan...)

And I guess only Exetel knows what percentage of users go over their allowance and by how much to decide whether this is a "core" problem that needs addressing. By proposing it here, I guess they think it must be (or maybe the ForumAdmin got out-voted at the meeting...)

kogi

Post by kogi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Not sure if I would switch. It would be $5 cheaper than the plan I'm on now, but I wouldn't need to monitor my peak/offpeak downloads.

Would I still get the Pioneer Discount? :D

kogi

herbie

Post by herbie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:35 pm

You're not offering anything on naked DSL so I'm not interested. Secondly, I not a power user. I might d/l 5GB per month on average. I'm simply not interested in subsidizing other users. Consequently i'd be looking elsewhere for this service. BTW, I have also a mobile SIM and a PC/HSDPA with you and that would likely go as well. Despite the fact that you jacked up the price of the plan I'm on by $5 (ie from $40 to $45), 5 mins after I switched to it I've hung in there. SO FAR.

Over the last year or so you've shortened the off-peak hours & made them more user unfriendly and you've also removed free SMSs. You're just chipping away at your brand and I've seen many companies go down the tubes when they start doing that.

If you start waxing & wafting all over the place with your offers and pruning away at the features, I'll be the one pulling the plug.

regards,
Herbie

fletch

Post by fletch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

PLs add a naked ADSL plan as well, I am interested

otori

Post by otori » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

personally, 50gb data is more than enough for me per month, as a loyal customer for 3yrs, i would much prefer money and time spent on improving connection speeds for download/upload, and for them not to be overpriced...considering the speeds other countries get for the same price we pay here in Aus...just seems unfair.

also if we are soon to be barred from using Torrents... how is one going to take full advantage of unlimited downloads?
Last edited by otori on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.