Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
k3vinpham

Post by k3vinpham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm on the naked plan with 30 on 60 off at the moment.
Quite the light user as well, i think i average about 5gig max a month?
Back to topic at hand, either way i'm happy to stay with exetel with or without these plans.
Although with all these new unlimited plans, there will be a fierce war with ISP.
That's just my 2c tho :)

oldman

Post by oldman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Another request to have a NAKED option added.

Thanks.

Prizm

Post by Prizm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm

goodtimes wrote:There's no free lunch, and I'd rather ration my own fast bandwidth than have unlimited and slower.
Yes, I don't want 'unlimited' if Exetel will secretly cap YouTube, torrents, etc. I've always had the impression from Exetel that they are always spreading themselves too thin. One example: the $55 ADSL2 plan gets dropped to $50.......then goes back up to $55 again within a couple months.

I'm quite wary they'll start capping certain sites (you know, I'd actually like that in writing: that they DON'T cap certain sites or P2P).

On the other hand, having unlimited could have a positive psychological effect on some members. You won't always think you have to take advantage of your limit and max it out if you know that you've now got unlimited.
Last edited by Prizm on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

What will be done to accommodate all the extra network utilization? Will Exetel obtain more international bandwidth?

AKZam

Post by AKZam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:46 pm

herbie wrote: Over the last year or so you've shortened the off-peak hours & made them more user unfriendly and you've also removed free SMSs. You're just chipping away at your brand and I've seen many companies go down the tubes when they start doing that.
I honestly can not get my head around why someone would need free SMS' from their ISP - anyone who isn't on a mobile cap of some description is selling their dollar short. It seriously makes no sense to me that a few free SMS' actually wield any value... they just don't??? voip calls and faxes, maybe, but sms' from your computer? come again?

Oh and yes Exetel, naked unlimited plans please - this is a generalisation, sure, but i think the majority of 'heavy' downloaders would be young, have and use mobiles extensively and not require a home telephone service - unlimited plans might actually appeal to more naked users than any other users of your service... as i said, just a generalisation though. Generally when i ask people why they still use a phone line, they say that then need to make international and national calls - or at least receive them. That is why we have VOIP, but it is often hard to explain such a point to those of a certain disposition...

Villan

Post by Villan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Interesting.

My 12 month contract is up in about 6 weeks and I'm on the NF/23INCTEL plan so I suppose there's a possibility I might have access to such a plan. Would I be interested? I don't know to be honest. I still think the potential for abuse (even with the clever idea of a 12 month waiting period (if you will)) is too high and there will still be idiots downloading 250gig+ a month degrading performance and ruining it for the rest of us.

MellowFellow

Post by MellowFellow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

AKZam wrote:I honestly can not get my head around why someone would need free SMS' from their ISP
My computer sends me SMSs to let me know when things happen.
Additionally, my home alarm is wired to the computer and uses the Exetel interface to send an SMS when an intruder enters the house.
Aaaand, when overseas I used the web interface to send SMS's.

nozila

Post by nozila » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 pm

My current plan ends at the end of this month. So this is a great idea, since I will be looking at what plans exetel and other companies are offerring. But I like exetel and would continue to stay with them pending on what services can be provided.

BTW Im on Naked ADSL2+, would this plan apply to me at my current plan price?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 pm

A bit of a diversion, but just to balance AKZam, I have my mobiles on uncapped plans, and never ever send SMSs from a phone. I prefer to send them from a computer. I have better things to waste dollars on than mobile phones.

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Yea, I hope there is an option for Loyal Naked Exetel customers too (that's for sure).

Villan

Post by Villan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:59 pm

AKZam wrote:
this is a generalisation, sure, but i think the majority of 'heavy' downloaders would be young, have and use mobiles extensively and not require a home telephone service - unlimited plans might actually appeal to more naked users than any other users of your service...
Good point and one that certainly sounds reasonable. I'm sure Exetel would have the figures to backup/debunk this.

martin.dawson

Post by martin.dawson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm surprised. I'm not going to say "no", but I'm surprised.

When the traditional network providers introduced this weird new broadband product, they made the mistake of thinking it was just an "add on" to the main circuit service business; the thing they chose to call "voice". They failed to recognize it as a harbinger of the death of the old switched circuit telephone network. By the same token they failed to recognize that Megabytes would be the new Minutes and they really needed to have a handle on how much it cost them to provide Megabytes just the same way that they understood the cost models of providing a circuit for so many Minutes. In the US, in particular, this led them to making the mistake of blurting out that their broadband plans were unlimited. Most of them are now trying to undo the damage and reintroduce some sort of cap into their plans. Australian providers were actually quite sensible in starting off with the cap concept. Heretical thing for broadband subscriber to be saying I know!

While they got away with offering (premium) unlimited call plans for their old circuit service, it's important to note reality dictates a physical limit (of 24x7) that this one circuit subscription can be used for and, in practice, the "mostly just used for voice calls" aspect of the old circuit service meant it would be used less than that. Broadband providers are nowhere near being able to sustain plans (premium or otherwise) where users can run the broadband connection flat out 24x7. One circuit was always one circuit - broadband speeds continue to increase so the Megabyte-exposure is an open ended one. The nature of applications for the Internet, and the computing technology that supports them, is such that there's no practical limit on use either. A circuit user can only have so many conversations; a broadband user doesn't even have to be there for their applications to be soaking up arbitrary quantities of bandwidth. I'm always surprised when people act as if unlimited utilization is some sort of moral right; do they apply the same logic to other utilities like gas, water, and electricity?

So... while Comcast, AT&T, and co in the US are trying to undo the assumption that everything should be unlimited, Exetel is thinking it needs to bring it in ? Well... ok then.

AKZam

Post by AKZam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm

MellowFellow wrote:
AKZam wrote:I honestly can not get my head around why someone would need free SMS' from their ISP
My computer sends me SMSs to let me know when things happen.
Additionally, my home alarm is wired to the computer and uses the Exetel interface to send an SMS when an intruder enters the house.
Aaaand, when overseas I used the web interface to send SMS's.
point taken, but obviously you have enough money to not worry about such trivial costs as a message once a year when/if you get a break in, what things happen on your computer that require sms monitoring? overseas, gotchya - but surely a few cents isn't a lot when/if you can already get overseas.
Dazzled wrote:A bit of a diversion, but just to balance AKZam, I have my mobiles on uncapped plans, and never ever send SMSs from a phone. I prefer to send them from a computer. I have better things to waste dollars on than mobile phones.
ok, i spend $60 a month on my mobile, i can call as many people and send as many sms' as i like without going near the limit of my cap, i have no home phone because i don't require one. i am obviously from a different generation, i use my mobile a lot (especially for work, which isn't a choice i have). different strokes for different folks, but don't tell me that few free sms' a month actually wields value.

ill stop now, this isn't the post for this discussion.

Lbucci

Post by Lbucci » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 pm

If there was a naked DSL offering like this the ADSL1 and 2, I would definately sign up for it.

And while on it. I have to say I'm just finishing my 12 months contract and the service from Exetel at all level beats hands down all previous providers I've used.
I've recommended two user to Exetel and will continue to do so.
A great ISP

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:13 pm

If there was a PAYU element to a price cap (unlimited data) I would be interested. E.G. IncTel $55 access + $0.50 per GB up to $75 cap. BYOLine $35 access + $0.50 per GB up to $55 cap... or something along those lines.