Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
gumtreeusername

Post by gumtreeusername » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Honestly i dont really need unlimited plan.. I think having a quota limit is sort of healthy in a way.

jman177

Post by jman177 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:22 pm

+1 unlimited Plans

Paying less & no excess fees sounds good but I hope it will not affect the performance that much by being a on this plan.
:roll:

terrox

Post by terrox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

The only people who want unlimited plans would be the ones who download a lot, which degrades the network for the rest of us.

I don't like unlimited at all, unless it is just a rebranding of the current 3x average usage system.

I'd prefer attracting more "normal" users than attracting "heavy" users alongside "normal" users.

Slightly cheaper Z/20NoTel and Z/21NoTel plans would be better.

The unlimited BYO Adsl2 plan should certainly cost more than the limited ADSL2 plan, to fund the extra hassle that those users will put the rest of us through.

It sounds like sour grapes, but it really does suck to know that other people's greedy downloading is affecting me for no reason.

dale

Post by dale » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:28 pm

My 30GB quota is way more than I need at the moment but there is not suitable cheaper plan.

I would much prefer a cheaper plan - say $60/15GB (incphone) and would be prepared to pay $1-3/GB excess for the times I may need it.

Don't offer unlimited - it just attracts idiots and floods our exchanges with useless crap. I would much rather see unmetered content (e.g. the existing mirror.exetel.com.au, Steam, Windows Update etc) to cater for users who have something legitimate to download.

Even though exetel have the bandwitdh to the internet, at smaller exchanges there are backhaul capacity issues causing slowness for groups of people. Allowing people to download more crap only makes these exchange congestion issues worse.

Yes, in theory the backhauls are Optus' problem but in a practical sense everyone suffers when there are big downloaders on them.

gordonro

Post by gordonro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi Exetel, is this move prompted by international data rates dropping, due to the activation on the PPC-1 cable? I understand most of the reason we have capped plans is that >75% of Australian web traffic leaves the country and this traffic is very expensive. With PPC-1 on line is this overseas data traffic rate dropping?

One quickly found article refers, others exist;
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... _switches/

One this topic, why isn't ABC's i-View unmetered? - surely this is all AKAMAI cached?

Has Exetel got any plans for Pay-TV, or even free to air TV? - or will that complicate the relationship between Exetel and Telstra/Optus?

Thanks.

terrox

Post by terrox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

AKZam wrote: I honestly can not get my head around why someone would need free SMS' from their ISP - anyone who isn't on a mobile cap of some description is selling their dollar short. It seriously makes no sense to me that a few free SMS' actually wield any value... they just don't??? voip calls and faxes, maybe, but sms' from your computer? come again?
I loved those free SMS. I hate texting on my phone and it costs too much. Free SMS gave me an excess to commuicate more often and it was easy on a keyboard and I could do it from any internet connection.

michhes

Post by michhes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Naked?

How about first making wa not slow down come 10pm?

MrOzman

Post by MrOzman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:49 pm

AKZam wrote:Generally when i ask people why they still use a phone line, they say that then need to make international and national calls - or at least receive them. That is why we have VOIP, but it is often hard to explain such a point to those of a certain disposition...
If you were to ask me, I would tell you that I have the landline phone because my ADSL doesn't work more often than it does. I would never go naked with the ADSL service I'm getting. For the same reason, an unlimited option would be meaningless - I can't use the bandwidth I already pay for.

toast

Post by toast » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for the offer Exetel.

Four months ago I would have seriously thought about that offer, but since I've taken up diving and getting more into rock climbing I just can't find the time to sit in front of the computer as much as I used to to download stuff :)

What I don't understand however, is given recent blog posts by John about how losing 300 customers meant the removal of 150Mbps of bandwidth required (were they the correct figures?) I thought Exetel wanted to lose those customers to other providers :)

Look forward to see the detail of the plans

AKZam

Post by AKZam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm

MrOzman wrote: If you were to ask me, I would tell you that I have the landline phone because my ADSL doesn't work more often than it does. I would never go naked with the ADSL service I'm getting. For the same reason, an unlimited option would be meaningless - I can't use the bandwidth I already pay for.
yeah right, if that truly is the case you should switch providers. i would be if i had more downtime them up time (i find this hard to believe though). personally couldn't be happier w EXE, and my 90 gigs of data for 50 a month (a large component of which is downloading games via steam - so obviously an unlimited plan would suit me, as long as it could be naked). i have no probs using my bandwidth, and could easily use more if i had more to dl, i don't - it would be the buffer of an unlimited plan that appeals to me.

philippedlow

Post by philippedlow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:10 pm

I already have a 30GB peak download plan which, combined with 60-odd GB off-peak, is a lot more than i can use. I only changed up to the 30GB plan from 18GB because it was the same price (and then they all went up $5) on naked. Seemingly it would cost the same for me to have this unlimited plan - so fine, but i don't really need it and it seems most people are the same.

Exetel's customers are mostly savvy people who take the time to weigh up their own requirements to find the best value deal. Is there really the demand for providing an unlimited service? I think Exetel should stick to the core plans already offered - why open yourselves up to the occasional extremely heavy user sucking bandwidth? There's a plan there that should suit everyone without the need to tie yourselves into an 'unlimited' option. You'll have a lot better visibility of bandwidth use that way too.

robertacmelloy

Post by robertacmelloy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

I would like to see a mention of the naked plans. Whether these fall under one of the already mentioned categories, would be available at another price, or not available at all.
Would this be subject to a fair use policy? Because with a large household and you tube, vod, apple tv and iptv, I could easily Chew through 300-500gb per month.

autron

Post by autron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:24 pm

terrox wrote:Slightly cheaper Z/20NoTel and Z/21NoTel plans would be better.
Yes to that. How can Unlimited with phone be $75 and Z/21inctel be $65?

GEoMaNTiK

Post by GEoMaNTiK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm

This really is GREAT NEWS and I like how it's a loyalty offer and not for the massers who will come over and potentially distrubt what has been a solid and awesome service since I joined about 17 months ago. I have 1 month to go on my contract and have been looking into AAPT and now TPG with their upcoming Unlimited offer.

So if Exetel do indeed offer this Unlimited to us, I'll be the first to jump on board, not that I think I'll use much more than I'm currently downloading, however I like peace of mind if I do decide to download a bit more on a patricular month or more importantly my teenagers decide to go a bit silly.

Thanks Exetel for this and please let us know how soon this will be in place and will their be a Cutoff policy for those users who download what I regard to be ridiculous amounts when going over 200GB a month?

banjanti

Post by banjanti » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Hello,

I believe this is a great idea and it will bring this country to normal at least with one thing.

Data count was used maybe 10 years ago in very early stage of internet in its developing stage.
It doesn't really matter how much you download, being limited by bandwidth is simply mediaeval.
For all you who state that you "don't need it" - you simple don't have to use it, I believe not

one of you ever lived in any other country than Australia....no offence but this way of

thinking is just backwards. So why do you need a good car when you can go 110 maximum on the

highway? Just stick to 20-years old crap. When Hong-Kong offers 20mbs speed with absolutely no

limitation for around 30$, internet in Australia is in worse condition that it is in Thailand

where no-one counts the data! It is seen as unreliable, expensive and odd by people who really

use it in US, Canada, Europe etc.
This is not the technical issue, it's mental, people around the world pay 10% of what people

pay here and still have unlimited bandwidth!
For me as a European, seeing someone who's straggling on modem speed because he has been

'shaped' is just ridiculous, everyone not born here or who've lived a while ago in different

environments will confirm this.
Ad rem - yes, please come with unlimited plan - please make internet normal as it is in the

rest of the World, everybody will have to follow or die. There are still ISP who offer 5GB per

month! It's not even funny!Is not enough to browse the websites!
Do it Exetel and you have my trust and loyality.
And yes - naked plan will be the best!
It will be good to make it available to all current customers as well...

GEoMaNTiK - please just make up your mind, you want unlimited broadband or 200GB per month? And what is ridiculous for you has simply nothing to do with reality, HD movies in mkv format are 2,2 GB for about 50min. In current technology 200GB in NOTHING!