Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Oogieboogie

Post by Oogieboogie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Hurray!!!
banjanti - you are spot on!
I will grab it.
Not that I hardly ever use my max allowance anyway but on those rare occasions I should be able to.
Most times I use less than 50% but sometimes need 120% so this is great news.
The fact that it will be a loyalty program is probably OK for now but eventually everyone will have it
Be the trendsetter Exetel

21st100

Post by 21st100 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:56 pm

With the current infrastructure its a horrible idea for NEW users, ppl would flock to exetel in the herds and we are gna become the nxt TPG.....
as for loyal current users you can have a special option that so after eg. > 2years existing user they have an option to swap to an unlimited plan...
Maybe after if we get an optical network you can bump upto unlimited..but it may increase competition and lower broadband prices on a whole...
Its impossible to stream justin.tv after 2am because of the huge influx..so unlimited on ADSL2+ is bad bad bad....
Maybe an unlimited offpeak to start with??

Mail2me

Post by Mail2me » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm

We need to know more - how this would affect other users that decided to stay with "limited plans" in terms of speed. Of course it will bring a lot of people downloading life TV @24/7. I calculated one web site was "giving away" shows at rate 1.5GB an hour in standard definition. However from another side - iPrimus has 65+65GB for $50 (ADSL2+ Kahuna Plus) that might suit I guess some of us here (BUT they count uploads :( ). Personally I would like to have that! Having a reasonable limit is not too bad idea as I don't believe any provider can offer now unlimited bandwidth without downgrading the speed.
Last edited by Mail2me on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jester5

Post by jester5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm

I would definitely be interested in an equivalent plan for naked DSL.

Strat

Post by Strat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm

It would probably make me stay with Exetel. I must admit after your changes to my plan this month I've been shopping around and have been very pleased with the offers from some of the other ISP's (TPG, iPrimus etc).... I was actually going to make a decision in the next few days. If you guys offered an unlimited plan I would stay with Exetel for sure.

cravr

Post by cravr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Although I'm quite happy with my plan, I think this is a good move. It sounds like an opt-in reward, and existing customers don't have to take up the unlimited plan if they don't want to. All around great news for your customer. I'm all for this.

My only suggestion is to make this "loyalty reward" available to current customers who have been with Exetel for at least a year—even if they are currently in a contract. Scenario: someone who has been with Exetel for 2 years (so was out of contract), then moved to a new address and is currently halfway through their contract. Surely they should qualify for the unlimited plan? Why not let them just "upgrade" to the new one (either for the remainder of their current contract duration or sign up to a new one)?

markph1

Post by markph1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm

As a 3 year+ customer of Exetel, I am continuing to "wrestle" with the confusing communication I am receiving from them.
It was only week ago I received an email from Exetel informing me of a $5 price rise on my current $75 plan that includes 30Gb peak 54 Gb off peak and phone line (INCPHONE B) because they are losing money on this plan ( Second time I have had my plan charge increased with the same justification)

firstly, when I looked at what other plans were available, I find there is a plan $5 cheaper with more Gb data allowance and similar call charges.

Secondly, I now receive this "unlimited offer" for the same price of my current plan!

If Exetel can make money on a plan that is $5 cheaper with more data allowance, how the hell can they lose money on a dearer plan with less data allowance?
Am I missing something here?

partypooper

Post by partypooper » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:09 pm

goodtimes wrote:Personally I'd rather everyone be on a cap including myself. There's no free lunch, and I'd rather ration my own fast bandwidth than have unlimited and slower.
The best thing that happened for my connection was pushing back the start of the off-peak "unlimited" period to 2am (previously midnight). It gave me an extra 2 hours of the night before the network suddenly gets so clogged that I can't use it.

GEoMaNTiK

Post by GEoMaNTiK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

banjanti wrote:GEoMaNTiK - please just make up your mind, you want unlimited broadband or 200GB per month? And what is ridiculous for you has simply nothing to do with reality, HD movies in mkv format are 2,2 GB for about 50min. In current technology 200GB in NOTHING!
Yeah I'll take Unlimited - no probs with that, it doesn't mean I'll try to download everything in sight, I'm currently on a 130GB plan and I feel 200GB would be a perfect amount for me. So I commented in my opinion, I just want to know if Exetel will setup a certain blacklist point, where if a user constantly goes over 500GB or 1TB a month, will they be kicked from the network?

As for your HD Movies in MKV Format example - that's nice!!! It means my 200GB needs would give me easily 30 HD Movies a month with 50GB to play with, pretty good really, why would I need more than that banjanti???
Last edited by GEoMaNTiK on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankyman

Post by frankyman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds great! The proposed price of $75/pm is about as much as I pay at the moment, so there would be no problems making the change. I hope everything runs smoothly :)

kosmostek

Post by kosmostek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Sounds good for extreme users, but I find the problem is not how much the monthly allowance is, more the speed in which you get it. Here in Brisbane on the Optus 300mbps link, we are getting more and more frequent saturation of the link. UPGRADE the link, before offering unlimited accounts as this will only make things worse. :D Then launch the offer of unlimited, but keep monitoring the headroom.

sunnybear

Post by sunnybear » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm

AKZam wrote:
jokiin wrote:
I have a feeling at some stage we will get to point where the price you pay will be based on how and at what speed you are connected, the data won't really come into it as it is likely to be the least costly part of the actual service, like you're on 256/64 you pay $30, 512/128 $40, 1500/256 $50, naked service $50, with phone, $75 etc and the data doesn't even come into play, it may be a while away but I think it could end up going that way so eventually effectively there is no data allowance or limit
Yeah, somewhat like every other civilised nation in the world, the idea of limited bandwidth is unfamiliar to pretty much anyone in the UK, Europe and America/Canada. But anyhow, its a little off topic, but i just want to point out that whilst i consider myself a 'loyal Exetel customer' (after being with Exetel for 5 or so years, unfortunately at many different addresses) - I would be unable to jump on one of these plans. Now, I understand that Telstra dictates a lot of this stuff, and as such when you move house you become a new customer again, and again (as in my case) - but what I don't understand is why Exetel can not track me through their system - they know who I am, they have my name and contact details - I can provide the 5 or so phone numbers I have used over the years. Its a bit %&$& being a new customer again after 5 years of loyal service.

Rant complete, sorry for the hijack - i have just always struggled to get my head around this stuff.

Have a good day, and good luck to anyone that gets one of these plans - i would hazard a guess and suggest that many users would see the same 'ghosts' in the system that we have all experienced at one time or another which reduce download speeds during off peak hours to little more than a trickle.
same here, i've been with exetel for over 4yrs, but moved twice, and currently contract ends Sept...well...the only good thing is currently quota should be enough for me and my roomate..but of course, if exetel would do something about someone like us would be great..

21st100

Post by 21st100 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm

It would be ok i guess if exetel stop the dodgy ....increase monthly limit one month *everyone happy*, increase monthly payment the other *everyone pissed*.... If your going to keep it at $75 then i would join, otherwise expect it to blow through the roof :roll:

peterboyes07

Post by peterboyes07 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 pm

I must admit I'm having trouble trying to keep up with changes.

Last week, I got an email telling me that the plan I have been on for years is ceasing and if I want to stay I need to pay and extra $5.

So, taking the hint, I went to the plan page and opted to change over to a new plan for a few more dollars and higher downloads.

Now, they ask if we want unlimited for $75ish.

I would prefer if someone would email me directly so that I can respond to someone with questions in lieu of the DO NOT REPLY emails I'm currently gatting.

Sooooooo confusing...

Peter

GEoMaNTiK

Post by GEoMaNTiK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm

When will this be offered guys???

TPG and PIPE tomorrow will cause many to dump and run, I have a month to go, I hope a decision is made in that time for Exetel Unlimited.